Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
When I (and about 10 other people) were too late to get into the Manhattan show the day he did the 5 borough concerts, he came down to the bar underneath the venue and talked with us for about 20 minutes while one of the openers were playing and said that he "wish(ed) he had an acoustic guitar because then he'd have played us some songs on the sidewalk"

Jeff owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
At the Vacation listening party he was bartending and I went straight there after work and ended up being the first one there. We shot the poo poo for like 10-15 minutes. We both love Saves The Day.

Edit: John made fun of me for having no life.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
at the last asob reunion show there was some guy trying to pick fights right by the stage and jeff was like hey someone hit that guy already so he'll shut up

so people hit him

that's probably the only remotely mean thing i've ever heard about him and it was still totally worth it

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

One time at a show in philly he was moving through the crowd and bumped me knocking my beer out of my hand and he didn't even stop to apologize. Also he smelled like showers hadn't been invented yet.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've tried his music and I'm not fussed.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fateo McMurray posted:

One time at a show in philly he was moving through the crowd and bumped me knocking my beer out of my hand and he didn't even stop to apologize. Also he smelled like showers hadn't been invented yet.
sounds like you don't know how to hold a beer

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
lol fateo would be the dude that spills his beer all over everyone

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Wow I bet you guys would side with Hitler if he made lovely songs about being poor instead of making lovely painting

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

sorry poland, dancing won't solve anything

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Dandy Kaiser posted:

I know that Jeff's musical talents are a very polarizing subject around here, and I know that there are people here who definitely, and I guess understandably, don't see him as The God That He Very Well Is, but if you don't at least think that everything he's made from Vacation to present is Good, you're a loving broken person.

e: not letting fateo foil me with a double negative

Adults also wins the award for best execution of dichotomy in the field of album title/cover art.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_pmujz-INg

guppy posted:

There are some BTMI/Jeff songs I like but they're the exception not the rule. I find his writing mostly depressing, even on songs I like like "25!," and he is not a good singer. I am sorry if this says something terrible about me but well there it is.
I love his depressing writing because it's a celebration of being miserable. I'm also biased because on the quoteunquote records site he has all the stories behind the songs which rocks because context actually makes the songs better for once.

For Instance The "My Response to An Article in Alternative Press" explanation says without saying that the Cobra Starship guys are dicks now. Confirming the suspicions of literally everyone.

Dandy Kaiser posted:

When I (and about 10 other people) were too late to get into the Manhattan show the day he did the 5 borough concerts, he came down to the bar underneath the venue and talked with us for about 20 minutes while one of the openers were playing and said that he "wish(ed) he had an acoustic guitar because then he'd have played us some songs on the sidewalk"

Jeff owns.
He's doing a mini-acoustic tour this month and wanted to book a show at the Borg and we sperg'd out about lovely DIY venues with no heat and how much they rule.
Didn't have dates available that worked for him so he's playing some place called "The Greenhouse" in Madison. Told me if I couldn't get a ride he'd swing through Milwaukee to drag me to Madison.

Jeff Owns.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've tried his music and I'm not fussed.
There's definitely a cult-of-personality aspect to it that not everyone buys into.
I like Jeff and His music for the same reason I like Big-D and David McWayne
They don't give a poo poo about living a mainstream life with a day job and just travel everywhere being nice to people.

I get to live vicariously through them.

Dandy Kaiser posted:

sorry poland, dancing won't solve anything
Showerbeers!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

I love his depressing writing because it's a celebration of being miserable.

This is a complaint that really doesn't fly with me, like 70% of all the lyrics across any genre of music are depressing. Reel Big Fish's entire catalogue is basically a love letter to sorrow.

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

For Instance The "My Response to An Article in Alternative Press" explanation says without saying that the Cobra Starship guys are dicks now. Confirming the suspicions of literally everyone.

RIP Midtown

:chanpop:

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 30, 2016

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Did I just make a holocaust joke?

What am I 12?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Well you like ska, so probably

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Right after I moved to Charlotte and into my first apartment and got a terrible job at a call center I was driving home at like 2 AM with my iPod on shuffle and plans to spend the next day blasted out of my head on cheap vodka in my head and Can't Complain came on and it was one of those perfect moments where a song just nails where your life is at a particular instant so that's basically my favorite song

Also my roommate used to yell at me because when we'd go out drinking I'd inevitably have too much and when she'd try to cut me off I would inevitably start chanting the end of Stand There Til You're Sober at her until she threatened to leave me behind

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS
I don't know how I never listened to Suburban Legends before, but they put on an amazing show last night. Great songs, high energy, random choreography, everything you could want in a live show.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

ObsidianBeast posted:

I don't know how I never listened to Suburban Legends before, but they put on an amazing show last night. Great songs, high energy, random choreography, everything you could want in a live show.

I've probably told this story before, but my favorite SL show was back in 2007 or so and they played a Rock The Vote concert where the power went out. While we waited, they played a huge game of Duck, Duck, Goose with about 70 people.

Can we all make up now and talk about the Asian Man 20th Anniversary Festival. Ticket info coming Wednesday, and a lot of bands announced, but not a lot of heavy hitters so far: https://www.facebook.com/asianman20year/. Will be great to see Mu330 and Slow Gherkin again, plus loving Let's Go Bowling.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
:siren: Link 80 is going to play the AMR 20th :siren:

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

I am so excited for AMR20. Holy poo poo, Link 80. It's still not a guarantee that I can go, but I'm buying tickets and then figuring it out.

It's a shame Brendan Kelly can't make it, so no Slapstick or Lawrence Arms. But on the bright side, with Jeff there, I'll bet we're getting a set from the Bruce Lee band!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Turdsdown Tom posted:

I noticed them in the list but how do people feel about ye ole Fishbone? Had the opportunity to see them live (well, the remaining members) last year down on Cape Cod and it was an incredible show. Angelo truly has one of the most energetic and exciting stage presences I've ever had the pleasure to witness and he walked into the crowd at the foot of the stage to sing "Lyin' rear end Bitch" with us crowd folk. I figure it's one of the last opportunities I may have to see some of that old fashioned ska stuff being played by the people who did it back in the day themselves.

I'm quoting this from almost a month ago to say that you should listen to Fishbone as much as loving possible. They are the absolute best, and put on killer shows every time, and they've been doing it mostly non-stop for like 35 years. There stuff in the 90s can get bad, so I would just stick with their early stuff. Luckily, that's like all they play at shows anymore.

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010

tnimark posted:

Jeff and Antarctigo are touring Australia and I'm pumped as heck.
Dan P is here like 2 weeks as well. Feb/March looks like it'll be pretty great.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What, if anything, distinguishes "ska punk" from "third wave ska"? Are they the same thing or are they different subgenres?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Wheat Loaf posted:

What, if anything, distinguishes "ska punk" from "third wave ska"? Are they the same thing or are they different subgenres?

"Third-wave" is, in theory, a descriptor of timing, as opposed to ska-punk, which describes a sound. It's the "third wave of ska," as in the third major period of its popularity (after traditional/trad and two-tone). In practice, there's a lot of overlap between "third-wave" and "ska-punk," but not all third-wave ska is ska-punk.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I always considered "ska-punk" to be much more punk-oriented with distinct ska undertones, in the form of either horns, upstrokes or what have you. Examples of ska-punk bands IMO would be stuff like Less Than Jake, Suicide Machines, maybe the Mad Caddies, Goldfinger, etc. Op Ivy is almost there but they're mostly a punk band. 3rd-wave ska I always considered to be stuff like the Toasters, RBF, Catch 22 and such.

I don't even know what you'd call Streetlight.

e: oh yeah how can I forget Voodoo Glow Skulls they're the best ska-punk band ever

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Kinda weird how the third wave has been going on for 20 years now and a fourth is yet to come along.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

For a fourth wave to happen it would have to catch on and as we already know ska is dead

I largely define third wave as "it's fast and the horns can only play ever play dotted eighth notes"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxmbq4fkRxg

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Someone please recommend me upbeat punky music with brass sections. i've fallen down the Ska Hole

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if like, everyone suddenly started to play like gogol bordello or like mad caddies then i guess that would be a new wave but instead of a fourth wave we just have bands that have their own disparate signature sounds, what a concept!!

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

DoctorWhat posted:

Someone please recommend me upbeat punky music with brass sections. i've fallen down the Ska Hole

Look onto our saviour, for he has created the greatest album of all time

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Monday_ posted:

Kinda weird how the third wave has been going on for 20 years now and a fourth is yet to come along.

well maybe if tomas made more than one album a loving decade

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

30 seconds in and i'm grinning from ear to ear

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

one of us one of us one of us

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

guppy posted:

"Third-wave" is, in theory, a descriptor of timing, as opposed to ska-punk, which describes a sound. It's the "third wave of ska," as in the third major period of its popularity (after traditional/trad and two-tone). In practice, there's a lot of overlap between "third-wave" and "ska-punk," but not all third-wave ska is ska-punk.

Right - I've just been noticing that a lot of bands get categorised as both and wondered how they were distinguished.

I remember a few years ago reading reviews and such suggesting that bands like Chase Long Beach could lead a fourth wave but I think they've been broken up a few years now.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

https://dalysgonewrong.bandcamp.com/album/the-fourth-wave

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys
I've always figured that fourth wave would be ska music where the traditional horn parts would be done almost entirely electronically. I guess Vacation might be considered fourth wave by that thinking.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I was going to joke and say that Album Minus Band was the start of the 4th wave

Unironic Ska Dad
Feb 17, 2010

Too fat to skank.
When I joined my band I have now, the singer called it post-ska. Not sure what it meant but it sounded cool. 3 1/2 years later were still going and about to record our third studio project. I know I may be speculating but I'd like to consider us something that's beyond third wave. We're really weird and experimental.

P.s. I feel like I'm finally home.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Less Than Jake has what I guess is their first official live album coming out on April 29th, from a show recorded in London in 2001.

http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/196682/9

gaydad
Mar 23, 2015
If you guys haven't heard of Chenchas Berrinches, they are a pretty cool Mexican ska band from Cali. Fast and heavy!
Here's a link from one of their songs:
https://youtu.be/wGTka-ImA70

Also, I might be late for this but Link 80 re-released their 17 Reasons on vinyl last December. Super amazing album :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
Hey Ska Goons,
Just met with a bunch of people I've been chatting with here locally and have been trying to get a ska thing going with for a while now.

Be prepared for shameless self-promotion of my ska band in the coming months. I'm very stoked.