Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
wear comfortable shoes and don't bring a whole lot of stuff. Dancing and general concert go-ery is a lot better if you aren't concerned about all the crap you might bring with you. And dance, a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

opposable thumbs.db posted:

Going to see Streetlight tomorrow night at the Venue of Scottsdale in Arizona, going to be really my first ska show and one of my first concerts in general (I'm new to the music scene for some reason), any recommendations or things I should prepare for? I'm excited.

The venue will generally provite free water (even if it's just lukewarm). It's the law in aust. Should be in the US.

If you wanna mosh:
Don't wear a jumper/wifebeater under your normal clothes. It might be cold out, but I garuntee you'll be drenched with sweat of questionable origin after. Pants with large pockets so your wallet doesnt fall out, so you can place shirts in if you buy them pre-concert, as some sizes may be sold out. Rare, I guess, but it happens sometimes. Don't change into the shirts you buy unless you want to be laughed at as you walk past people you don't know. It doesn't really matter at all but hey, if it bothers you, there you go.

Edit: I own two RBF shirts, an older black tour one, and a lime green one that I bought at the same time as my streetlight one. I never wear the black as it's faded and the material kind of sucks. The lime green one is getting that way, but the streelight one is still soft and wearable. I don't know what it is, seeing as it looks like they were made by the same company, but the streetlight shirt is definitely much better quality.

dnz fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 17, 2008

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

What's everybody's position on being "that guy" at shows that wears the band that's playing's shirt?

At Streetlight last time I wore a Catch 22 shirt, but that was me being an rear end in a top hat. I do that a lot actually. I wore No Doubt to RBF and Blink 182 to Aquabats. I'm kind of lame and most of the time I don't wear anything in particular, but I find people who wear the concert shirt like THAT MINUTE universally lame. Quadrupley so if its some 14 year old girl who probably only knows like four songs.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If it's a band shirt that you already bought a while ago, it's cool. Otherwise, you look like a dumbshit

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

I NEED AVATARS. AVATARS OF HARDHAT SPIDER-MAN!
I don't care about the shirts people wear to shows, wear what you like. :v: Everyone's just there to have fun and enjoy the music. Or they should be.

I got tickets for Streetlight playing in Exeter the first week of December, fuuuck yes. I have like a year of not seeing any bands, and two of my favourites suddenly come to the same place a couple weeks apart.

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?
A little trick I've learned for the new guy to shows: wear a belt. When you buy a t-shirt, tuck over said belt. I've never lost a shirt this way, and I don't have to deal with the huge bulge of a shirt in my pocket.

Also, do NOT wear slip-on Vans. There's always that one guy that makes that mistake and spends the rest of the night looking for his shoes. Laces people, laces.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

What's everybody's position on being "that guy" at shows that wears the band that's playing's shirt?
I don't really give a poo poo what other people wear, but I feel lame if I do it.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

gerfatty posted:

Also, do NOT wear slip-on Vans. There's always that one guy that makes that mistake and spends the rest of the night looking for his shoes. Laces people, laces.

I have worn slip-ons to concerts several times and never lost them.

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?

Sandwolf posted:

I have worn slip-ons to concerts several times and never lost them.

I'm sure it is possible to wear slip-ons and no lose them, just saying there's a larger possibility that you will lose your shoes.

Overall, just don't worry about too much poo poo and just have fun. Generally that means bringing less poo poo/stuff that will fall off.

Also, tell us how it goes opposable, I'm always curious to see how people do their first show!

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Seriously people who care what other people are wearing at concerts are douchebags and you shouldn't care what they think. Who the gently caress cares what you're wearing, just enjoy the music.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I only care what you're wearing if you're one of those kids from the last locals show I went to. They were wearing girls' soccer shorts, slip on vans, and most of the show, no shirts because it was hot as gently caress.
Their boxers were kinda sticking out at the bottom of their rear end cheeks and it was just loving terrifying.

Saw one of them a couple days later at a Bouncing Souls show, kid was pretty rad when he wasn't wearing soccer shorts. Crowd-surfed to Gone with that kid.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Hell yea, new RBF album!

RBF posted:

OC'S original skanking pranksters Reel Big Fish have finished mixing and mastering the tracks that will make up their new album, a 10 song serving of high-energy covers which they've dubbed, Fame, Fortune and Fornication.

The release is set to include the band's signature ska take on such classics as Poison's "Talk Dirty To Me" and The Eagles "The Long Run."

For good measure, Reel Big Fish pay tribute to their early ska/reggae forefather's with versions of Desmond Dekker's "Keep A Cool Head"

The album (which will also be available in limited special edition vinyl) was produced by front man Aaron Barret and recorded at Music Inc. Studios in Orange, CA.

Set to drop in January 2009 via Rock Ridge Music, the release of Fame, Fortune and Fornication will coincide with the launch of a major world tour with Streetlight Manifesto and up-and-comer's One Pin Short and Tip The Van. The trek will take the band across the US and over to the UK, Europe and Russia. Later this month Reel Big Fish heads over to Latin American for a string of shows in Brazil, Ar gentina, Chile and Mexico.

If I may say, this is the best thing ever. RBF, Streetlight Manifesto, One Pin Short, and Tip the Van on tour together. gently caress yes.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I would prefer an album of not-covers, but I'll take any RBF I can get, and that tour sounds amazing.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mix.lunar posted:

Hell yea, new RBF album!

If I may say, this is the best thing ever. RBF, Streetlight Manifesto, One Pin Short, and Tip the Van on tour together. gently caress yes.

Oh goddammit come to NY before I leave for basic come on come on come on

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I will see a show on that tour no matter what.

I also can't wait to hear some of their original songs.

Sandwolf fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 21, 2008

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Dickeye posted:

Oh goddammit come to NY before I leave for basic come on come on come on

They're going to NYC on January 20th. The tour dates are up on RBF's website. I already got my tickets from their pre-sale!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Goddammit I can't go to NYC you sons of bitches god I hate you gently caress ska gently caress music I quit

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Hmm... the 9:30 Club in DC is as close as they're coming to Baltimore. That area is kind of a shithole and a pain in the rear end for me to get to, but for that show I might do it....

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
This tour is like saying "hey for fifteen bucks you'll get your dick sucked by four hot chicks for a couple hours oh you can't go gently caress YOU"
I'm clinging desperately to the Toasters show next month in order to stay sane.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

I'm stoked Tip the Van is on the tour. I'm not their biggest fan, but they totally deserve to get more fans.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh god, I'm praying that I'm not doing anything when RBF is in Chicago. That's the closest they're prolly ever going to get to me before I'm off to college. Though, if I get into NYU...

edit: And, while I'm here, I might as well ask about some more things to listen to. I've got a small collection of songs from a variety of the bigger names, mostly RBF and LTJ, but a bit of SM, Bosstones, and Goldfinger. It's more of a greatest hits type collection, with some covers thrown in, but I do have the last two LTJ albums. What full CDs are recomended if you're just getting into the genre?

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 21, 2008

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Dickeye posted:

This tour is like saying "hey for fifteen bucks you'll get your dick sucked by four hot chicks for a couple hours oh you can't go gently caress YOU"
I'm clinging desperately to the Toasters show next month in order to stay sane.

I live in australia, hours from any city. I'm lucky to see any non-major american bands, and It's unlikely as hell I'll see BTMI. Not being in a city, I don't even know any good aussie bands. The one I did like broke up.

Christ I even missed BOTH the ASOB reunion shows.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Yoshifan823 posted:

Oh god, I'm praying that I'm not doing anything when RBF is in Chicago. That's the closest they're prolly ever going to get to me before I'm off to college. Though, if I get into NYU...

edit: And, while I'm here, I might as well ask about some more things to listen to. I've got a small collection of songs from a variety of the bigger names, mostly RBF and LTJ, but a bit of SM, Bosstones, and Goldfinger. It's more of a greatest hits type collection, with some covers thrown in, but I do have the last two LTJ albums. What full CDs are recomended if you're just getting into the genre?

to list a few Skapone, The Green Room Rockers, The Pinstripes, and Mustard Plug just off the top of my head.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Yoshifan823 posted:

From what you said, I'm guessing you like punkier ska.

There's alot of ground to cover, but I'll give it a shot:
The Arrogant Sons of Bitches - Three Cheers for Disappointment
Bomb The Music Industry! - Get Warmer (Jeff's getting further and further from ska every album, but there's still some ska that shines through. And a horn section.)
Reel Big Fish - Turn the Radio Off
No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom/The Beacon Street Collection.
The Aquabats - The Fury of [The Aquabats]
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Let's face it
The Suicide Machines - Destruction By Definition
Catch 22/SM - Keasby Nights
(all Catch 22 after this album differs greatly due to drama, I like post-kalnoky Catch, and so do alot of others, but alot also don't. Just a heads up.)
SM - Everything Goes Numb
Bandits Of The Acoustic Revolution - SM Acoustic.
Big D and the Kids Table - There's some debate here, try How It Goes or anything before it. Don't get Porch Life and expect ska, though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I can barely count Big D as music, let alone ska music.
Get Mighty Mighty Bosstones' "Jackknife to a Swan" while you're at it.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I would recommend Less Than Jake's Losing Streak and Streetlight Manifesto's Somewhere in the Between as well.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I've always been a fan of Mad Caddies. Keep It Going is a fantastic album, but you can't really go wrong with any of them. Just One More is definitely the weakest though, if you ask me, but it still has some great moments

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
The new RBF album has a cover of Brown Eyed Girl. Why am I irritated by this?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sandwolf posted:

I would recommend Less Than Jake's Losing Streak and Streetlight Manifesto's Somewhere in the Between as well.

Really any LTJ before Borders and Boundaries, maybe throw Anthem in for shits and giggles, but that last one made me think "Oh so this is what didn't make it onto Anthem?"

I'm surprised nobody said Mustard Plug, Evildoers Beware! and In Black And White especially.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dickeye posted:

Really any LTJ before Borders and Boundaries, maybe throw Anthem in for shits and giggles, but that last one made me think "Oh so this is what didn't make it onto Anthem?"
Are you thinking of In With The Out Crowd? Because if so, are you aware that they released the far superior GNV FLA a little while back?

quote:

I'm surprised nobody said Mustard Plug, Evildoers Beware! and In Black And White especially.
I'm fond of Mustard Plug too; I'd swap in Pray For Mojo over In Black And White, personally. I love Evildoers Beware!, of course.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

for some reason unbeknownst to me, I've never been able to get into Mustard Plug. I feel like I should like them, but they don't click. Kind of like Radiohead for me.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

guppy posted:

Are you thinking of In With The Out Crowd? Because if so, are you aware that they released the far superior GNV FLA a little while back?

I'm fond of Mustard Plug too; I'd swap in Pray For Mojo over In Black And White, personally. I love Evildoers Beware!, of course.

In With The Out Crowd was just bad. GNV FLA wasn't bad, but it wasn't really good either. I listened to it and was like "wow another b-sides album already?" It literally made me think of Anthem but not in a good way. And I love Anthem, Anthem is one of my top two LTJ albums.

Mustard Plug's grown on me a lot lately. I couldn't get into them for a long time and then in the last month or so it's just been like BAM. The first Streetlight album is like that, for me. I just listen to it and then think "you know, I could be listening to Keasbey or Somewhere right now" and switch it over.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mix.lunar posted:

Hell yea, new RBF album!

I guess when you start to loving suck at writing music, the next logical step is to stop writing music altogether.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm actually OK with the cover album, since their covers are generally good.
And I mean if you're going to bitch about bands doing cover albums uhhh Streetlight's next 2 albums are covers, plus the other six albums in 99 Songs.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Dickeye posted:

Look 4 post above you :)

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

for some reason unbeknownst to me, I've never been able to get into Mustard Plug. I feel like I should like them, but they don't click. Kind of like Radiohead for me.

I don't like Mustard Plug at all.

OK Computer is amazing though.

Aww Cute Kitty! posted:

The new RBF album has a cover of Brown Eyed Girl. Why am I irritated by this?

First, holy poo poo they have a new album already?

Second, ugh.

I'm the only hardcore FIF fan still around, but Reese posted this recently

quote:

Also, we are still hoping to get the FIF DVD out by Christmas on Asian Man Records/Department of Biophysics. We hope you hate it. Love, Reese

I'd kill to have them do a reunion tour come 2013.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
I used to listen to FIF but I hated the direction they moved in after the first record.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Sweet, I'd be pumped to get the FIF DVD. I still listen to them all the time and I finally started liking the last album (the end is near). It took a while to grow on me. I'd suggest anyone that hasn't listened to Five Iron to start with their first live album, Proof that the Youth are Revolting. It's amazing.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mix.lunar posted:

I used to listen to FIF but I hated the direction they moved in after the first record.
The first album was pretty mediocre. FIF really starts with Our Newest Album Ever as far as I'm concerned, but if you want to be even more picky you could just listen to FIF2: Electric Boogaloo and The End is Near which are as good as the band gets in my opinion, which is to say, really really good.

Not really ska-related but this would be a good time to mention that a month ago FIF's side project BraveSaintSaturn finally released their third album, after years of inactivity, and it looks like they're going to continue to make new music in the future, so a FIF reunion isn't necessarily out of the question, as 5 members of the band were involved in the album production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

I'm the only hardcore FIF fan still around, but Reese posted this recently

I'd kill to have them do a reunion tour come 2013.

I would fly anywhere in the world for this. FIF was my first show, and it was goddamn magic.