Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habermann
Nov 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Ska is probably my favorite genre at the moment. It fluctuates from time to time, by it's usually one of my major genres. I've never decked out all rude boy style for a show or anything, but I consider myself to be somewhat devoted to the genre. I mean, my range of bands covers all three major waves and most of the major sub-genres, and I took up the bass guitar pretty much for the sole purpose of playing ska and jazz. So, really, what I'm trying to get at is, here's a list of what ska I listen to, in alphabetical order no less!

- The Aquabats, The Arrogant Sons of Bitches
- Bad Manners, Benny Fabulous (Local band who my friend plays sax for), Big D & The Kids Table, Buck-O-Nine
- Catch 22, Common Rider
- The Ethiopians
- Fishbone, The Forces of Evil
- Hepcat
- Jeffries Fan Club
- Kemuri
- Less Than Jake
- Mad Caddies, Madness, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, MU330, Mustard Plug
- Ore Ska Band
- The Pietasters, The Pilfers, Planet Smashers
- Reel Big Fish
- Skankin' Pickle, Ska-P
- The Skatalites, The Specials, Spider Nick & The Mad Dogs, Streetlight Manifesto, Sublime, Suburban Legends, The Supervillains
- The Toasters, Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra, Toots and the Maytals
- The Vagabonds
- Voodoo Glow Skulls
- Westbound Train
- The Witches
- Yum!Yum!ORANGE

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Habermann fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 4, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habermann
Nov 3, 2007

by Lowtax

BrandNewHero posted:

I have a very specific recommendation I'm looking for. I'm looking for ska/ska-punk bands that are really, really uptempo, with really, really rapidly executed upstrokes. I love Catch-22's first two albums, and everything Streetlight Manifesto has done. However, those are really the only examples I can find of this, with the *possible* exception of Reel Big Fish's early material. Can you guys recommend to me some other bands that do this?

I mean, listen to the intro to Hey Sergio. That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Is there even that much else out there, or is that fashion of ska-guitar playing kind of exclusive to Tomas' stuff?
Actually, the name of the song is "Dear Sergio", for both versions of the Keasbey Nights album (The original Catch 22 and the Streetlight Manifesto rehash).

And as far as bands with a sound similar to Streetlight Manifesto, The Vagabonds play at about the same tempo and use similar guitar techniques (at least from what I've heard of them). Try sampling the tracks "Prince of Thieves" and "You're My Best Friend", and tell me if that's what you're looking for.

Habermann fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 3, 2007

Habermann
Nov 3, 2007

by Lowtax

demolition rickshaw posted:

Just adding that between those two, there's a Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution version too, which is well worth a listen.
Oh, I had absolutely forgotten about that version. Thanks for the reminder.

Habermann
Nov 3, 2007

by Lowtax

BrandNewHero posted:

gently caress it is Dear Sergio, isn't it? My bad. I always thought it was cool that every band Tomas has been in since C-22 has recorded that song.

Those two songs aren't on The Vagabonds MySpace, but a bunch of others are, and gently caress, they really kick some rear end. Thanks for the tip, I'll try and track down an album of theirs.

Glad I could help.

lessthankyle posted:

Oh god, female ska singers. They make me weak in the knees

I take it you listen to Save Ferris and the old stuff by Gwen Stefani while she was in No Doubt, then? If you want to hear more female vocalists in ska, and you can tolerate the lyrics being in a foreign language, I can recommend Ore No Ska Band (All female ska band) and Yum!Yum!ORANGE (Lead singer and backup singer are female).

Habermann
Nov 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Lucidity posted:

When i lived in toronto there was a whole lot of third-wave lovely ska band, but there was one really famous band called The Makeshift Heroes. By far the best talent in Toronto, there broken up now, and i got to see there last concert before i moved. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=7430079 Tell me what you think

Ah, that's pretty good stuff. Still, I can't help but lawl at the comments box. Just another reminder of why Myspace fails it. But yeah, that's some pretty good stuff there.

Habermann
Nov 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Does anyone know who does the intro music to this video? It's been bugging me all day. I'm pretty sure the video title also doesn't match the song title, so I wouldn't use that as a hint.

"Complex"

Habermann
Nov 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Josh Wow posted:

The song is called Fine Young Man.

That's the one, alright! Me and my friend thank you, rude boy.

Habermann
Nov 3, 2007

by Lowtax
So, what do you get when you mix a classic Shmorky cartoon with the sound of my favorite local band, The Homecoming Queens? I decided to give it a shot and find out.

Safety Seth's New Magic Show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habermann
Nov 3, 2007

by Lowtax

guppy posted:

Do you know if there's anywhere I can buy their album (as MP3s, not a CD)? I'm a Zune user, not an iPod user, and Amazon MP3, Napster and Lala don't have it.

Unfortunately, the only way to get their CDs is by coming out to one of their shows... In New York.

gently caress me, I'm retarded. I checked the Myspace, and there are two options.

1. You can buy the album off of Interpunk, but at the moment, it's out of stock. I'd recommend signing up the notification on that, or...

2. You can buy the album off of iTunes, and use some audio conversion program to convert it to .mp3. Sort of a roundabout way of doing things, but there's nothing else I can do short of putting the album up online myself. And I really, really don't feel like doing that; The band has gone through so much poo poo to get the album together, and I've been there to testify for them.

Habermann fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 27, 2008