Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
(I really, really, really should post in this thread more)

Saw The Aquabats last night in NYC. It was the first non-extremely local show I've gone to that I don't regret seeing, and sweet jesus I must do this more. Awesome, awesome, awesome. I might pay the price for a one-day pass to The Bamboozle just for Streetlight, but I'd rather just have to drive an hour or two and not pay $50 for one band I really want to see and a bunch of bands I don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

seventeen posted:

For a second I thought that they were on tour and got really excited. Turns out I was wrong. So, so, so wrong :(

Yeah, they were doing a show for various media types to promote somethingorother and their pilot, I dunno. Point was they did a 11-song set with DJ Lance Rock as the opener, tickets were cheap, and I live in New Jersey.

Oh, and this guy was there. And this guy. And me, the rear end in a top hat who ruins the candid by looking directly into the picture.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

PurpleTowel posted:

I just now got into Ska.

I started listening to RBF after my 300th viewing of the movie Baseketball. I fell madly in love with some of their songs, especially "Cheer Up" and "Drinkin". I thought that was as good as it got, until a friend of mine recommended Streetlight Manifesto.

Ho-lee poo poo.

I've devoured all their stuff, and I'm getting into the older Catch-22 stuff now. It is marvelous. So far my favorite is "Mephisto's Cafe", which I gather is about being someone without faith in a world dominated by religious extremism.

Who do you guys recommend I listen to next?

If you haven't covered The Mighty Mighty Bosstones or Big D And The Kids Table yet, now would be the time.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
You mean, like, literally hitting himself? Because that sounds like an odd reason not to release something.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
Did I ever mention The Lampshades here? Local band, really good, they sell a shirt that I see everywhere in my county.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

guppy posted:

Color me excited. Wiki says it's due out 6/24, by the way.

Red Album and that on the same day? Decisions, decisions...

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
I hear no ska from what Leftover Crack I've heard (~6 songs). They give off a serious Anti-Flag vibe to me.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Streetlight Manifesto is the best ska band to come out in the last 10 years :colbert:

I am truly amazed they are not way more popular than they are.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
It has been a while since I've posted here.

Worth mentioning that I'm going to Streetlight's Starland Ballroom (re: New Jersey) show in October, and am considering Skanksgiving depending on my schedule.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
SM-Related groups could also be any band on the Four Out Of Seven in Three Before Nine Take Five Over Easy In The Hole Over The River And Through The Woods tour (AKAs, HiFi Handgrenades, Swellers, Potthast, etc.), and it sure as hell won't be Catch 22. Potthast is probably the best guess.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
Bump for the sake of last night's Streetlight show at Starland Ballroom.

Briefs on the opening bands: The AKAs (Hard Rock) suck, The Swellers are alright but not anything special, but The Fear Nuttin' Band was pretty good. Their band picture pretty much explains their sound.

Set List, to the best of my memory. I will screw this up, badly. Please correct if you were there:
    * Would You Be Impressed
    * The Saddest Song
    * The Receiving End Of It All
    * Point/Keasbey/Counterpoint
    * We Will Fall Together
    * Forty Days
    * Down, Down, Down, to Mephisto's Cafe
    * It's A Wonderful Life
    * Linoleum
    * That'll Be The Day
    * Here's To Life
    * On & On & On & On
    * Watch It Crash
Encore
    * Acoustic Medley: Sick and Sad, The Big Sleep, Somewhere In The Between
    * Somewhere In The Between

Not much to say, but just a heads up for those going to later shows. I'll add anything if I remember anything.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
The new RBF album has a cover of Brown Eyed Girl. Why am I irritated by this?

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Anybody going to Skalloween or Skanksgiving?

I'm debating whether to go to the Skanksgiving at Starland Ballroom, the Aquabats/Suburban Legends show in Hackensack the week before, and/or the Streetlight/RBF show in Montclair in January.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
Huh, my friend went to that show and said there were like fifty people there. Is that close?

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
Huh, are they getting a local band to open before Tip the Van with every show?

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

Sugar Blaster posted:

New BTMI! album drops tomorrow. Just a heads up.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH (This is not PHIZ)

I'll be sure to download it, though. I have to see them next time they come through.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
I saw Reel Big Fish for the first time last night. Is Monique Powell on the tour with them or did I just get really, really lucky?

Also, I got Tip The Van's EP and then got it autographed. During Streetlight, I wanted to yell "99 Songs Of Revolution!" a few times but I never found the right moment.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

trans fat posted:

Also, as far as I'm concerned, The Beatles are ska.

Explain.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

Sandwolf posted:

Dicky Barrett has a voice that is as rough and gravelly as an unfinished road, which is unbelievably badass, but the singer from Big D sounds like he's swallowed too much helium.

Nah, he just sounds whiny. I can't seem to like Strictly Rude and that might be the reason.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
Scrambles is alright. I can't get a good bead on it yet because I've only listened through it once, but at the very least it hasn't disappointed me and it's absolutely at the caliber of To Leave Or Die and Get Warmer, the other two BTMI albums I have.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

Adinsxyz posted:

They're all free, there's no reason not to have all of them...you can get them all here: http://www.quoteunquoterecords.com/albums.htm

They're all really good too, so it's not as if they'd be a big waste of space

I know, I'm just lazy.

Also, I like giving the albums time to sink in. I got Live And Die about a year ago, forgot about it for a while, and then downloaded Get Warmer about a month ago. I'll give Scrambles a few weeks before I dip in again.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

Yes they do. Who are they? Why are they covering my favorite songs?

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

New RX Bandits July 14th

shameless bump from page 5 :shobon:

Ha, really? Excellent, I'll be sure to get it.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

guppy posted:

:siren: Rx Bandits' new album Mandala available a week early for $3 from Amazon MP3, today only :siren:

It's Amazon MP3's deal of the day; sometimes those end up being available for a few days, but today is the only guaranteed day. I did my best to put SA's referral link in there. I'm not sure if it worked.

Thank you, sir. Thank you so much.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

Moe_Rahn posted:

that fuckin' mustache

I saw My Bloody Valentine a week ago. Loved it. Their last song is 10 minutes of just utter noise, loudest thing I've ever heard. Ear damage loud, and I was at least 200 or 300 feet away. I took my earplugs out for it, just for the sake of the experience.

And yet, I can't quite bring myself to hit the HD button on that video.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streetlight_Manifesto#What_about_their_record_label.3F_Do_they_like_them.3F

Yay, open source!

e: Taken down fast. http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Streetlight_Manifesto&oldid=307857514

Z.S. Ghost fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 14, 2009

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
And I live in New Jersey, so there's about a 50/50 chance I'll be at this. Just depends on my ability to get school stuff done and summon others to go with me.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

That 99SOR listening thing was tonight right?

Tomorrow night.

fake edit: Well, it's 1am on Sunday, so it's tonight.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
I had no idea they were covering Punk Rock Girl, but I've upgraded this from "album I will steal when leaked" to "album I will literally steal the masters of tonight."

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

They're kind of good but the singing in parallel fourths (?) annoys me after about 4 songs.

Luckily, the EP I picked up by them was only three songs long. If they're at Warped along with AWK and Reel Big Fish I might consider it.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
I don't remember seeing this in the thread - there's a track list on wikipedia right now:

"Birds Flying Away" (originally by Mason Jennings)
"Hell" (originally by Squirrel Nut Zippers)
"Just" (originally by Radiohead)
"Skyscraper" (originally by Bad Religion)
"Punk Rock Girl" (originally by The Dead Milkmen)
"Linoleum" (originally by NOFX)
"Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard" (originally by Paul Simon)
["They Provide the Paint" (originally by Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution) Oh come on really
"Red Rubber Ball" (originally by The Cyrkle)
"The Troubador" (originally by Louis Jordan)
"Such Great Heights" (originally by The Postal Service)

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
I found a headliner for this thing!

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

Dickeye posted:

That led me to Tip the Van and RBF doing She Has A Girlfriend Now and goddamn the girls in Tip the Van are good looking, I always forget this until I see another video

I like Tip The Van plenty. I hope they make it as much as a ska band can.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

Dickeye posted:

We'd still see releases about as often as we do BTMI albums since Tomas is a perfectionist

BTMI Releases: 2005, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2007, 2009, 2009, 2010 (8)
Kalnoky Releases: 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2010 (7)

I didn't count BTMI vinyl-only stuff or Kalnoky stuff that's only available on cassette. I would kill for Streetlight/BOTAR to have a BTMI release schedule.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
I got my basic-package CD a few days ago with the poster and the coupon. The coupon password for the RISC store was "Trololo." Good times.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

DRD posted:

I saw Streetlight over the weekend at Stevens University. There was only around 200 people there. It was incredible seeing them in such a small setting.

They only played Linoleum and Hell from their newest album, which was great because I was worried that it would be a set of all covers. I would have liked They Provide the Paint. Do they ever play that live?

There was definitely more than 200 people in that crowd, or, this is also possible, I suck at estimating crowds. One of the circle pits I was in must've had at least 50.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

lessthankyle posted:

Also, BTMI! is playing at Death By Audio (Brooklyn) this Sunday. Vic Ruggiero is playing Saturday at the same place.

Does anyone here have a method of being in two places at once? I will reimburse you handsomely if you share your secret with me. Contact me at 973-

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

Aardvark Barber posted:

Also, I'll most likely be hitting up one of those BTMI dates, as I've just really started getting into them.

I will not be because I've got already Modest Mouse tickets the only day they're close to me. BtMI is on the list of bands I will never catch because the universe doesn't want me to.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1939767

Mainstream ska humor? Well, I never!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
I may have to arrange a trip to the Cleveland date. That may be something I have to do.