Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Good Luck is a more accessible Big D album than Strictly Rude, though I like Strictly Rude quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

The Best of 3rd Wave TV, an out of print VHS that has a lot of awesome bands, and starts out with some vintage Reel Big Fish.

Misc fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 29, 2009

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Sugar Blaster posted:

clowniest loving things

This is seriously the exact same words that come to my mind upon listening.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Lurchington posted:

My least (all relative of course) favorite might be Mephisto's Cafe :(

That's actually my favorite song on the album, the "don't crack" part after the trombone solo reminds me a lot of the "waited for the phone" part in point/counterpoint.

Worst tracks on the album have to be Watch it Crash and Forty Days. This does not mean they're bad songs, though.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

not a dinosaur posted:

Good Luck is such a loving good album

It's certainly my favorite Big D album, but the album doesn't really compare to any of my favorite Ska albums in general. There's a lot of good tracks to skank to like 5 Kids Down, Dirt Lip, and Learning to Listen, so I'll give Good Luck that much.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

dnz posted:

ffffffffffffffffffffffffff

I saw the video right as the bulletin was posted, it was a quick second of on a bike footage followed by a grunt and the camera goes spinning into some grass.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Popoi posted:

Looks like Laura Stevenson and the Cans, who were great tonight, and The Swaggerin' Growlers, who I've never heard of.

You were at the Covington show? The trumpet player was absolutely shitfaced after they played due to the drinking game in effect and my friend had to help her to the bathroom.

Is it normal for BTMI! to play "So Let's Go Nowhere" by ASOB because I loving flipped out when they did.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

I figure it didn't need to be acknowledged from its sheer clownishness.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Nah, it's all about Cat with the AK-47.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Holy poo poo Assorted Jellybeans are back? I must see them.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

I'm seeing them next week. I saw them open for Reel Big Fish in January, but it'll be great to see them headlining their own show

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

gently caress the mellophone, sounds nothing like the horn and takes a totally different technique to play.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

As far as I know, the dates in April are part of a small little stint in the US. The band plans on doing a full-blown US tour later in the year.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

If the album were originals we wouldn't see a release until 2011 at least, if Somewhere in the Between is any indicator.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

That's pretty crazy. If I played rhythm games I'd totally be about that.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Although I don't like to admit it, I like Vampire Weekend and that cover is alright though the vocals could be livelier.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

FateoMcSkippy posted:

http://skamania.org/

Who wants to go create the largest Ska festival ever there?

Only if we could get a ska band to reunite as the main piece. Suburban Rhythm or something.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

25 bands all doing a cover of "The Impression That I Get."

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Charge!! has its moments: nerd alert, demolition rickshaw and waterslides are great ska tracks.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

dnz posted:

Look at me, I'm a winner!!

Listening through it again I like the whole album, actually. I still would like to see them bring their horn section back, though.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

I only think Hello Rockview is alright compared to Losing Streak.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

guppy posted:

Losing Streak has a lot of really great songs but Hello Rockview is awesome from start to finish.

That's interesting, because I feel that way too, just reverse the albums. All the instruments on Hello Rockview sound really weird too, especially the clangy guitar during the clean parts.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

The Reel Big Fish cover was actually a pretty straightforward cover of this version that Op Ivy recorded.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Gangsters by The Specials is a reworked cover of Al Capone by Prince Buster. Guns of Navarone is a Skatalites cover, too.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

It's really cool seeing them play 30 years later and they still sound great, but I'm still not sure how I feel about them getting back together without Jerry Dammers. It's kinda like the Dead Kennedys touring without Jello Biafra.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Well okay, I guess it's not as bad as that, but they're still going around playing someone else's songs.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Yeah, I saw them in Cincinnati with Mustard Plug about a month ago.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

aricoarena posted:

I'm sorry to have to break it to this thread but BTMI is pretty awful.

Suicide Machines didn't even start being really good until they recorded A Match and Some Gasoline, when their lyrics actually started carrying some meaning. The songwriting on Album Minus Band is superb from the beginning.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

We just had this discussion a few pages ago and Losing Steak is the best album because it doesn't sound like the instruments were filtered through a tin can. I think Losing Streak works better as a whole album with an overarching theme, whereas Hello Rockview sounds like a collection of songs.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Bomb the Music Industry just announced the dates for their summer tour the other day, it's on their tumblr page. I'll definitely be going to the Cleveland date.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

z16bitsega posted:

I'm wondering if I can ever wash this without all the paint coming off.

On the other hand, a shirt I got last year almost completely faded when I washed it the first time, so it's pretty much done by feel if you can wash it.

The Cleveland show was a lot of fun though. The turnout was way bigger than when I saw them in Covington last year and everyone seemed generally more into all of the music.

The set, to my memory, went something like this:

Congratulations John
Saddr Weirdr
Slumlord
Pizza Claus
Freebird
All Ages Shows/Big Ending/The First Time I Met Sanawon
Fresh Attitude, Young Body
Side Projects
Sort of Like Being Pumped
I Don't Love You Anymore

I know I'm missing at least one song here, so feel free to correct me.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

hedgecore posted:

Suicide Machines

You have no idea how jealous I am, the Suicide Machines have been the one band I've wanted to see since I've gotten into punk music.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

No two-tone love among all the band-claiming! The Specials are mine.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

AXE COP posted:

:smuggo:

How did I miss that, uuuuuugh. Then I guess, The Toasters.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Is this the first album where they haven't changed outfits?

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Goddamn that setlist loving owns

I don't know, I still think the show I went to where they played ASOB's "So Let's Go Nowhere" was the best setlist.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

It's a two hour drive one way for me to see a ska show anymore.

Tell me about it, I've gotten used to having to drive 3 hours to Cleveland anytime I want to see a decent band play, except for the one time BTMI! played in my hometown (Dayton) about 2 years ago. I'm going to have to drive to Detroit to see Godspeed You! Black Emperor in March, so I hope it'll be worth it.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

So wait, are The Suicide Machines actually back together or what? It was always cool to have a high profile ska band that lived near me.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Sublime with Rome and 311 must have realized they were splitting their fan base, because they decided to tour together this summer.

I saw a flyer for that tour at my school in Ohio and thought, 'That is the dream show for dudebros.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

I don't know, Jeff played Savers during his last iPod tour and I was pretty stoked on it. I'm going to reserve judgement 'til the full thing comes out.