Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The album I always come back to is General Rudie's Take Your Place. Just a great, great album and it's a shame that they broke up soon after.

Aside from that and catching up on older releases from The Busters (Germany's version of The Toasters), that's been about it in recent months. Aside from Streetlight there hasn't really been any other major releases lately. I hope that things pick up soon. Supposedly there's a new NY Ska-Jazz Ensemble album coming out very soon, which should be awesome as all NYSJE albums are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Josh Wow posted:

I disagree, because I don't think there's been a significant change in sound to call anything the 4th wave. There's a pretty distinct difference between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd wave ska, but Op Ivy doesn't really sound THAT different than Big D. Also the Bosstones formed in the mid to late 80s.
RX Bandits and Gogol Bordello aren't a significant change in sound?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Josh Wow posted:

Gogol Bordello aren't ska (or ska punk or gypsy ska or anything like that)
I think what you're seeing now is bands that have added elements of ska to their musical toolbox filled with elements from all types of music, and say "okay, let's construct something new out of all of these materials." So you're getting a mash-up of different styles to create a new style. So you get gypsy flamenco punk, you get post-prog skapunk, you get cabaret hardcore, latin funk jazz ska, that all have at least some small roots in Jamaican music, but are too abstract to be described in that way. That's the direction it's going, to me.

I can't imagine there will ever be a straight up fourth 'wave' like you describe because where exactly can the style be taken that everyone coming out of high school would say "YEAH, I WANT TO DO THAT!"? All the "me too" bands in the last decade still try to imitate Reel Big Fish. Ten years from now, they will still be imitating Reel Big Fish. Because any new music has to be sought out, and that's not going to change. I don't see a scenario in which mainstream radio stations are back on the bandwagon. As far as most people know, ska was this cute fad that lasted from 1996 to 1998. They don't know or care about its history. At this point I imagine a revival would be as swift and futile as swing coming back. (It's kind of funny saying this since there's been a huge underground revival of traditional ska in the last couple of years, seems like every day a new band pops up on MySpace; but I dont think it's relevant to the topic at hand.)

When you look at it from that perspective, you kind of take any musical progression a band takes as a small forward step for the genre. And I like what bands like Gogol, RX Bandits, Sonic Boom Six, Cat Empire, Mad Caddies, etc. are doing to stir things up.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 27, 2007

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SkaWes posted:

I did but I lost the drat thing, it was good to :(

I am sad that ska has kind of died out in the past several years. In the late 90's there were some really great ska bands, but it's just sorta dried up, and now people just seem to make fun of people who still like ska. :smith:
I wouldn't say that it's died out, it's just different. Right now there's a big retro-traditionalist ska sound rising up. Just listen to the Pressure Drop Soundcast, they're playing new music all the time.

If the only style you can listen to is third wave, there's still plenty of bands out there. You just have to go out there and find out. Scour MySpace, check record labels like Megalith, Stomp/Union. Check Interpunk. I'll just throw two out there right now: The JB Conspiracy and No Torso. JB Conspiracy has somewhat interesting compositions, and a crisp staccato Aquabats-style horn section. No Torso is pretty much the definition of "third wave".

Some other bands I don't think I've heard mentioned here before: Babylove and the Van Dangos is an exciting trad band on the rise from Denmark with some pretty drat good hooks, and The Busters, who are Germany's answer to the Toasters and just put out a new album last month that is a callback to the style of their older albums. Just google any of these bands because I'm pretty sure all of them have MySpaces at this point.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

How does infusing rock elements make a band less ska, but not punk? I must be missing a page or two in my hipster handbook.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mix.lunar posted:

Because they aren't punk elements. It's slower guitar riffs and not the fast ones that are in punk.
I'm still confused though. I don't see why punk fits ska better than rock, it's not like everything is uptempo; traditional ska certainly isn't as fast as the third wave. It's just a different style. And RBF isn't the only band to do it, Five Iron Frenzy and the Mad Caddies adopted rock and alternative rock into their style, too. Not to take anything away from skapunk at ALL. I just feel like the net can be a little wider than it is.

quote:

I think he was attempting to insult you.
Nah, I wasn't trying to insult anyone. This is just something that I see a lot and I felt like poking at the beehive. I think I got posts confused or something when I wrote that reply. My apologies.

To me, I care more about how well composed and executed the music is, than how 'ska' it is (like it's a unit of measurement). I kind of prefer that bands try and go out and do their own thing and create their own niche. When bands conform to the standards, like the Planet Smashers and the Toasters, their music can kind of wear out on you after a few albums because it's almost too mechanical and ordinary. And I like those bands too. But I'm all for variety and experimentation.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 30, 2007

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Isn't Babylove and the Van Dangos from Denmark? I love them.

edit: yepppp http://www.purevolume.com/babylovethevandangos

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 8, 2008

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

dragoonz posted:

Does anyone seem to notice that Reel Big Fish just don't seem that into it anymore? I saw them twice here in Australia(brisbane) and they just seemed like they wanted to get it over with. Or at least, Aaron and Scott seemed to. Granted they were co-headlining with Less than jake the second, so they had to get off so LTJ could play.

They just went "Ok this is ..." played it and repeated until they finished. REally disappointing.
RBF's had that sort of attitude for a while. Every time they put out a new album they say poo poo like "Our last album was ruined by THE MAN and it was awful and we hate it, this new album though, it's really the bee's knees, please buy it" until the next album comes out and guess what? That album was also awful apparently, but not THIS one! I can't imagine they have a whole lot of music left in them if this continues. Or maybe they're just unhappy artists by nature, they gave up on Forces of Evil pretty quickly, and WNHTYNH was all songs about how they hate music and being them.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 14, 2008

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm not a fan of Valerie but I love every other song on that album. Cheer Up is fantastic no matter how much RBF's members try to trash it to preserve their 'indie' cred.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

I really really hope FIF does a reunion tour. Reese seems to really hate the fame from FIF though.
I don't think anyone from FIF really wants to get back together. They probably make more money in their personal lives now than they did when they were a band, which was practically nothing. They seem happy it's all over with.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

But new LTJ CD coming soon.
I hope that it continues in the direction of 'In With the Out Crowd' cause they're starting to figure out how to mix/EQ properly again and they're at least getting back to where they were with Borders and Boundaries. That's about as good as I can hope for.

There's also a new Tri-State Conspiracy album coming out this year, which could be pretty awesome if they continue to build on what they did with High Strung Mess which I thought was pretty decent, I like their rockabilly flair.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

:psypop:

This is a troll, right?
Um well after loving Anthem which pushed the horn players so far back in the mix they were in a different country, I would take anything as an improvement.

Unless you meant my other comment -- I wasn't saying B&B was their best album, I was saying that's about as far back as I can see them going with their sound/mixing and that's better than nothing. It's not even realistic to think they'd ever go back to putting out albums like Hello Rockview or Losing Streak, so I didn't bother to suggest it.

edit: gently caress it i'll just say it, I think B&B is okay and i don't get why people hate it so much.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 28, 2008

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Oh B&B is fine. I love a ton of songs on that cd. It was liking In With The Out Crowd that got the :psypop:
Geez, you're putting words in my mouth. I said that they should continue in the direction of that CD because they're starting to realize that they do in fact have other people in their band other than guitar players and are starting to responsibly produce their album with that in mind.

I actually hate most of the songs on that album but given the quality of "P.S. Shock the World" you can see the potential that they have to turn poo poo completely around.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think Collyer posted on the band's boards saying it was likely they would put out more music, just that there's no band to speak of right now, considering the circumstances. Given his connections, and the recent '08 tour of the Stomp All Stars, I wouldn't be surprised if he was able to cobble together an altered band lineup to put out another album.

I mean I didn't even know Unstoppable had a completely different horn section until I checked the notes. They'll make it happen somehow.

e: In "what, really?" news, apparently Starpool never broke up and put out a single last year at starpoolmusic.com. I hope they can eventually put out a full album because their original EP is still hot hot hot poo poo, especially considering it was recorded live. You Know You Want It is one badass song.

More bands putting out albums this year: The Expos recently recorded a new album, and One Night Band is planning to release theirs in the fall. Subb HOPES they will have an album out. Cat Empire's "So Many Nights" was supposed to be released this year in America but that seems to be fading off the radar. Big D is putting out a dub remix album, it might already be out but I loving hate their dub music so I can't be assed to find out. Babylove and the Van Dangos are putting out a new album on June 30th (woot).

e: e: retracted desorden publico comment; Estrellas Del Caos is now on iTunes USA :I

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 20, 2008

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That CD by Ngobo Ngobo is one of the only ones really available here in America, you can get it on iTunes and Napster, I think.

A band I just found and am digging on a lot is Makako Jump, a spanish band with a lot of energy but a lot of talent as well. Their style sounds extremely familiar to me but I can't place it exactly. Definitely not run of the mill.

e: Here's their MySpace. Their horn section and drumming reminds me a lot of Tokyo Ska Paradise but the actual style of the band is closer to that of north american bands.

http://www.myspace.com/makakojump

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 19, 2008

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Thornes posted:

They seem to be Italian if that Myspace is any indication. I like their sound a lot but I really have a hard time getting into songs with lyrics I don't understand.
gently caress. Now that I look at the song titles you're right, I just made a bad assumption on the language. Wasn't really paying attention to the suffixes.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Did they add a trumpet player to the band? Because there's definitely a trumpet player in the main riffs of that song. I'm all for them using additional studio musicians if the music ends up better as a result.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Finally got my answer too. Scott Klopfenstein performs trumpet on GNV FLA. Nice.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Streetlight Manifesto is the best ska band to come out in the last 10 years :colbert:
No way. I have to give that to Westbound Train, if only because Transitions is one of the best ska albums ever recorded. I've never heard an album from Streetlight that blew me away, and I don't know if it's because the style isn't my thing or what. It grates on me a little.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

And isn't most of Westbound Trains stuff more reggae?
They're traditional ska and rocksteady. Probably one of the top Boston bands. Their music is so.. peaceful, but catchy. It's not reggae outright, though they do have a couple of very downtempo songs. On average their music generally ranges between 120bpm-160bpm.

And yeah I've heard Somewhere in the Between too. Strangely, while Big D's singer has never irritated me, I am completely turned off by Streetlight's lead singer, and the band's unrelenting 300+ bpm tempos just don't appeal to me. I know that I'm not in the majority here, but I just can't get into them at all.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 17, 2008

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

While I do enjoy Westbound Train, I could never say I like them more than SM.

And going from Whole Wheat Bread -> Westbound Train -> Streetlight Manifesto didn't work at all on that tour. And the crowd wasn't into Westbound at all, which really sucked. I unfortunately didn't know about them prior to that show, wish I did.
That does not sound like a very smart pairing. WBT shouldn't be going on tour with the ska equivalent of drinking upwards of 10 lattes. They should tour with a band like the Slackers or Deal's Gone Bad. If they're gonna tour with any kind of uptempo band they should roll with the Toasters. In fact, they have!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dZhnJINlZg

e: Traditional ska is not boring, by the way. For me, bands whose horn lines consist of nothing but dotted eighth notes and who have the same chord progression in every song are boring. Bands like The Super Pineapples are boring. Not traditional ska. Not to say that I hate third wave or anything, that's far from the truth. But there's more out there than skapunk.

That wasn't a criticism of Streetlight either, just a criticism of like, 90% of third wave ska bands.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 17, 2008

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

No, I never said WBT was boring.
I didn't mean you, I was referring to the other guy who was implying WBT puts him to sleep.

vvvvvvvv If you don't mind generic-as-all-hell horn lines, check out Mustard Plug's latest album, it's actually got some decent hooks to it.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 18, 2008

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Chipyy posted:

Capdown - Excellent band, combining ska, reggae, dub, jazz, and harcore punk influences. Albums are Civil Disobedients and Pound for the Sound. I'm not sure what they're up to these days.
Nothing. They've broken up. :(

At least they put out their best album and one of my favorites from 2007, Wind Up Toys, before doing so.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

How It Goes is their best album and I don't know why people keep passing it over. The production is better than Strictly Rude too -- you can actually hear what the horns are playing. It's basically a better album than Strictly Rude in almost every way. Its one issue is chronological order; I enjoyed it more because I bought one song at a time until I eventually bought the whole album. I burn the album with a different order of songs than what is on the actual album, when I listen to it on the road.

I dont even know why they bothered splitting "Strictly Rude" and "Strictly Thrash" because if they had put tracks from both albums into one singular album, it would have been much stronger. Just remove 'Deadpan Face', 'Relocate the Beat', and 'She Knows Her Way' because those songs loving suck. What made them think splitting up their styles into separate albums was a good idea?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mix.lunar posted:

To stray from the current conversation... Every time "Desperate" by Suburban Legends comes on Pandora, I think it's Reel Big Fish. Am I retarded or do they really sound that similar?
They did sound extremely similar to them in the beginning. I think they're like a pop band now. They're not really anything like they used to be anymore.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mix.lunar posted:

Hell yea, new RBF album!

I guess when you start to loving suck at writing music, the next logical step is to stop writing music altogether.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mix.lunar posted:

I used to listen to FIF but I hated the direction they moved in after the first record.
The first album was pretty mediocre. FIF really starts with Our Newest Album Ever as far as I'm concerned, but if you want to be even more picky you could just listen to FIF2: Electric Boogaloo and The End is Near which are as good as the band gets in my opinion, which is to say, really really good.

Not really ska-related but this would be a good time to mention that a month ago FIF's side project BraveSaintSaturn finally released their third album, after years of inactivity, and it looks like they're going to continue to make new music in the future, so a FIF reunion isn't necessarily out of the question, as 5 members of the band were involved in the album production.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

http://www.myspace.com/thenovaray is his other band. I'm stoked. I wish I could be there to see them.
I'm not a fan of their old material but their latest demo track is pretty solid. Horn line reminds me of Buford O'Sullivan's solo output.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Potrod posted:

I see a few mentions of Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra, but not enough. These guys are awesome. A lot of their stuff is more jazz, but whatever, it's all awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvuQNuL8eI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G6M6kTFt2g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWrC4lvhJLM

Hell, just do a search for them on youtube and have fun.
Tokyo Ska is awesome but they're not jazz. They're the gateway drug to traditional ska.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FateoMcSkippy posted:

goddamn yes we do

edit: "Lately we have been busy writing and recording music for a new MMB record. Two of the songs, "Impossible Dream" and "next To Nothing" will be released next month on a limited edition 7" on our own Big Rig Records (500 on black, 500 on white). We added these two songs to the player TONIGHT in order to commemorate and celebrate this historic election. Enjoy!"

From their myspace. I really like the new songs, and will definitely be picking up the 7".

Now if only I didn't work retail this year I might be able to go to a throwdown show. :( But they won't let me have the week after xmas off. Dicks.
I like the songs a lot but the mixing is abysmal. It sounds like the horns were recorded in someone's bathroom. Really really strange sounding and I hope that they re-record those tracks for the new album.

Potrod posted:

I don't know, a lot of their older stuff seems more jazz than ska.
This is a band that's been around for 23 years. Their style has evolved with the times. Check out everything from Arkestra onward, because that's the sound that they stick with and will stick with for a long time (they're stubbornly consistent). If you want to cut right to the good stuff, get Stomping on Down Beat Alley and High Numbers, and possibly Wild Peace.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dickeye posted:

See I don't get the love for second wave, or even third-wave that sounds like it. It all sounds the same to me, with a few exceptions, like the Toasters. But hey, to each his own.
You could make this criticism about any wave of ska.

I'll say this though. At worst, copycat second wave ska or traditional ska bands simply write uninspired music, and that's the worst you can say. Because to even be into that style of music usually means the band members did not just buy their first instruments yesterday. Even if I don't like one of these bands, I'm not going to turn them off if they start playing. It's why I enjoy the Pressure Drop Soundcast.

With third wave ska, "at worst" usually means "hi we're a high school band from new jersey called the Super Waffle Monkeys we don't practice or know any notes other than the dotted eighth but hey heres our off-key impersonation of less than jake". There are fuckin two thousand bands like this, probably 90% of which are in my state, and I want them all to go take a music theory class, or listen to some music outside of their genre, or get hosed. Any of the three.

Maybe it's just because I'm always in search of new music but the latter makes it torture.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

RBF really weirds me out. They think they sold out when they made Cheer Up, but all of their music now sounds like generic corporate-made music. Like, the kind made for car commercials and Six Flags. It's so boring and ordinary and every song has the same identical sound. There's like no effort whatsoever put into the songwriting.

Here's 2 chords.. a horn line to repeat over and over.. okay just throw in some guitar distortion whenever.. PERFECT. DONE.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cheer Up is the one they hated, then they told fans that We're Not Happy will be more ska and for the kids and it's really great. Then they hated We're Not Happy, but don't worry kids, the next album's gonna be super ska yay ska oi oi oi. Now they probably hate Monkey For Nothing.

I know I do. It's terrible.

Wish they'd admit that Cheer Up was a good album, and that instead of hating how the record company treated them, they REALLY just didn't like having to actually invest time into their songwriting and production, so all of their new music consists of pale vanilla retreads of their songs from the 90s.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 6, 2009

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

guppy posted:

I'm surprised there's not more love for Why Do They Rock So Hard? That's my favorite album of theirs
That's a great album too, from top to bottom.

The problem for me is that with We're Not Happy they tried too hard to recreate WDTRSH, and Monkeys For Nothing tried too hard to be like Turn the Radio Off. But they're not as original or inspired. I'd like to see them try something new, like they did with Cheer Up. They keep walking backwards and that's frustrating to me as a listener.

Maybe that's a perspective that's abstracted from what ska is about but I'm just disappointed in the direction that they've gone.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Just wanted to mention that The Action's album Exploding Radio is now on eMusic (I think iTunes as well but I don't buy from that). It's pretty good, I guess technically it's not a debut because they used to go by a different name but it's a pretty polished album, on the level of something put out by Taj Motel Trio.

I know they were plugged earlier in the thread but I don't think their album was available on the internet at the time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

By the by, The Action is only the second time I've heard a ska band use a muted trumpet to good effect. Why is that? Using a mute on the trumpet gives it a lot more range and personality, but until now I've only really heard the Mad Caddies use it effectively. Unless you want to count those fringe swing bands like Cherry Poppin Daddies that had one or two ska songs in their discography.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

akal45 posted:

Nothing can compete with Streetlight's Everything Goes Numb. Its a scientific fact that is the greatest ska album known to man. The only thing closer is maybe Mad Caddie's Keep It Going, or any Sublime album. And i'm going to see Streetlight Manifesto this coming friday in Toronto!! SOOOO excited!!
Hahaha, nooo way. Not even close. If we're gonna talk best third wave albums... Stomping on Down Beat Alley by Skapara, Wind Up Toys by Capdown, Life of the Party by The Planet Smashers, The Resignation by RX Bandits, and Shed Some Skin by Slow Gherkin.

I would definitely put Keep It Going up there, though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mr Snips posted:

I always thought wind up toys was the worst of their albums, it just didn't seem to have the energy of the other two
Okay see I'm not a fan of the band, so I don't agree with you. The rest of their discography is not enjoyable to me at all. Wind Up Toys is the only album of theirs I can stand and it just so happens to be an incredible album from start to finish. I can't skip a single track. And that includes the b-sides. Serious Is Not a Sin shouldn't have even been removed from the tracklist.

I love the sound, love it. Explosive punk with dark, grinding, crunchy-as-gently caress ska guitar hooks. The saxophone flows throughout the songs and fits snugly, instead of feeling like an abstract element in their past albums. The singer, who is extremely annoying and nasal in the rest of their discography, has a much better tone and lacks the sharp ear-melting treble.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

trans fat, just look for songs with the bass drum and rim click on the downbeats, and the open hihat on the upbeats. And don't forget the occasional syncopated rhythm on the bell of the cymbal!! You know, the one that is in every single Hepcat song ever recorded.

In all seriousness, I don't know if it's fair to say, but traditional ska is definitely much more mechanical than reggae, but that's what makes it catchy, and I think that's what makes it different. Because reggae seems to focus on the groove/jam, while ska is more about laying down a foundation and then working from that (like jazz charts). Even downtempo ska has a different energy to it than reggae because of the gallop, like a train that's coming into the station. But the thing to remember is that reggae was spun off from ska, so there is always going to be some overlap.

And that reminds me. New Westbound Train album comes out April 21st!! You'll all get it and love it because I'll make you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dickeye posted:

I won't get it (because I've never listened to them before)
They were the band that got me more interested in older ska and rocksteady in the first place. Westbound Train and Deals Gone Bad are good gateway drugs to the old ska sounds, because they also have elements of soul and Motown in their music, and pretty good production values.