Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
I'm not sure how many people care or already know or whatever, and I certainly don't keep up on the news like I used to, but the Boston-based Have Nots are finally going into the studio to record an album. The band is comprised of former members from a few other Boston bands, like Stray Bullets, who were one of my favorites. Anyway, I'm pretty excited for this and figured I'd share.

Z.S. Ghost posted:

Red Album and that on the same day? Decisions, decisions...
Come on, bro. You're better than this.

Sugar Blaster fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 28, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

My only complaint about the new LTJ album is that City of Gainsville is about a minute or two too short. They're the first to admit when they release a sub-par album, so I hope they've all invented back-patting machines for themselves, because goddamn.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Z.S. Ghost posted:

I am truly amazed they are not way more popular than they are.
I'm not. Tomas takes forever with everything he does, makes promises he can't or chooses to not keep and seems to go out of his way to avoid publicity for the band. I love them to death, but they're never going to expand beyond their core fanbase because it seems at times like they have no inclination to do so.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

They're not. That crowd sounds awful.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Goldfinger are still doing the Twinkie thing? Like, in 2008? Egh.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

Goldfinger was really crazy, they played a lot of mostly old stuff, but the little...uh..act with the twinkie was interesting, and when the guy asked everyone who knew the lyrics to Mable to come on stage was really cool.
Providence, by chance? Goldfinger played loving Anxiety and I lost my poo poo. I'm not really into them and hadn't seen them live since around 2001 or so but I'm glad they put on a great show and they reminded me of why it is I used to love them as much as I did.

rear end Twinkie is a bit that never gets old but the dude in Providenec seemed a bit too pumped about it.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

http://www.myspace.com/havenotsboston

have nots. love them. they're comprised of ex-stray bullets guys and they're one of the only ska-influenced bands i still give a poo poo about.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Calavera posted:

Matt Wixson is still around? Shouldn't he be old enough to not like ska anymore?
he routinely embarrasses himself at this other board i post on and it'd be sad if he weren't so smug

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

New BTMI! album drops tomorrow. Just a heads up.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

hedgecore posted:

The new BTMI! album is definitely not coming out tomorrow.
It was changed, yes, because as of yesterday it was set to be released today.

It'll definitely be worth the wait though. Almost all of the new songs are out there if you know where to look.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

whelp! thanks fer playin jeff!

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Dickeye posted:

I don't know, I could see this all getting done eventually

I don't think it'll all be done on time, in any way shape or form

You know if they'd actually take a break from touring, they might get a complete album finished. Not that I'm complaining I'm ust saying
Haha. This guy right here expecting anything Tomas related to be finished within a reasonable timeframe. We've been waiting on 99 Songs since like 2001, broseph.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

oh my god the new big d songs are the clowniest loving things i've ever heard in my entire life.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Ah man, asking if anyone has seen "HEPCAT" in quotes in a ska thread is depressing as gently caress.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Dickeye posted:

so this forum I can't talk about claims to have a leak of 99SOR

here's hoping!

Hey some of you guys hit me up on AIM it's in my profile we have a thing to talk about
why can't you talk about skachilles?

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

http://streetlamps.perdomocore.com/index.php

oh my god its a streetlight manifesto discussion forum!!!

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

No, I knew exactly why, but you were being transparent and annoying about it by repeatedly mentioning a site you couldn't talk about like it was Fight Club or something when most people who post in this thread either have accounts there or at least know about it independent of the mediocre file sharing forum.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

i firmly believe there's a direct correlation between the end of the joint bg d / kicked in the head halloween shows and their current descent into intolerable bullshit.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

so have any of you guys seen the dan deacon / liam lynch seashorse video? because that's what "not loving around" sounds like. its like dave mcwayne got hosed up on lsd, started rambling, some guy recorded it and set it to music.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Dickeye posted:

booooo

and couldn't they have played something besides Linoleum, it's not like it's a surprise to anybody that it's on there
they used to play hell all the time too.

i don't really get the sor project. there doesn't seem to be a cohesive theme to the selections, and covering 'such great heights,' while kinda novel, has been done (probably) better already. i love tomas, but he's no sam beam.

the album will probably be awesome though so whatever.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

The beginning to Such Great Heights is a loving mess. There are more than a handful of missed beats and there's like, zero synergy between the brass.

If this were something they put together over a long weekend it'd be awesome, but a lot of us have been waiting the better part of a decade for this stuff. And when Jeff + company can record Adults in five days, these covers are inexcusable.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

The clean falsetto part toward the end of Such Great Heights is terrible. Tomas' voice isn't equipped for something like that.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Its references to the songs. Theres a Red Rubber Ball, The Postal Service, Hell, a Punk Rock Girl, a dog named Bob, A man on the corner in the city yesterday, etc.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

No problem. I save all my snarky indignation for skachilles.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Dickeye posted:

That's OK I don't like listening to animals being beaten with sticks
You listen to punk music.

Just sayin'.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Yes, I suppose Thom Yorke could never hope to compete with such lyrical opulence as "I wanna kiss you on the lips."

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

They did. They started working on a few follow-ups that ended up on the Have Nots' album, since they're ostensibly the same band. Stray Bullets were rad.

Boston used to rule. The best thing was the annual Kicked in the Head / Big D Halloween show at Axis. I think Big D still does one, but I haven't bothered looking into it in years. If you've never heard Kicked in the Head, check it. They were like a hardcore band meets ska meets Jane's Addiction. So good.

http://kickedinthehead.com/music/putupafight.mp3
http://kickedinthehead.com/music/Fix%20My%20Sink.mp3

The audio on this kinda sucks, but they were the poo poo live. I remember this show. Reach the Sky were awesome too (and I think they're back together.) Anyway, the KITH singer had more presence than basically anyone I can ever remember seeing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLEM5JoK74A

Sugar Blaster fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 25, 2010

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

aricoarena posted:

Why do all the good ska bands not make it, or turn really lovely, or drop their horns, and the lovely ones do ok?

I still have my lovely VHS of the slapstick reunion show. At least we got The Lawrence Arms out of them.
Yes and Tuesday and the Broadways and the Falcon and the Alkaline Trio.

I actually listened to the Slapstick anthology for the first time in almost a decade and it really isn't anything to rave about. I get why Kelly got tired of playing in it.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

anyone who pays for the BOTAR EP and doesn't get a handmade CD case is a sucker :smug:

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

The Troubador is my favorite, but the album is a mixed-bag at best.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

I know this is an utterly obvious way to discern enjoyment of a cover album, but I feel like appreciation hinges upon ignorance. Though, there are bands who can own a cover, I don't think Streetlight fall within that contingent.

If this album is motivation for ska kids to explore beyond the genre, that's awesome, but as a fan of Streetlight I really am disappointed at this being their first recorded output in almost three years.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Someone on skachilles posted a slowed-down version of Such Great Heights, and despite sounding kinda awkward on account of post-production manipulation, if the band were to have recorded it this way, it would have been loving incredible.

Streetlight are notorious for supporting free exchange of music, so I hope nobody decides to report me for posting this because it's worth listening to.
http://www.mediafire.com/?4ydxztzxddk

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Weren't most of their earlier songs written by a horn player who left the band?
Yes. Go track down some Drexel albums.

Sugar Blaster fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 18, 2010

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Post-ska Impossibles were really fun. I used to be all about Return and the Brick Bomb EP. Also, their slowreader album was increeedible.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

hahahahaha @ this guy saying the btmi! pike street / park slope is better than the original.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Josh Wow posted:

Also just a reminder loldance unironically enjoys Mest. Who's got dumb opinions now? And she told me 33 West was a good band and they were godawful.
hahaha is that the band with the racist singer who got basically blacklisted from some city because one of them hosed a FSU guy's little sister?

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

They release everything for free. Cut them some slack for having the audacity to ask if they could bum some equipment so they could play shows and (hopefully) break even.

The Piebald namedrop in the new song made me smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc0gsKXC8XA