Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Bangarang posted:

also; Taj Motel Trio is an awesome band, i've seen these guys live several times.

I'm the bassist for Taj :) I've only been playing with them for about a year though. If anybody ever comes to one of our shows come say hello to me, I'll hook you up with some buttons or stickers or some crap. Also our new album Part of the Problem came out last week, you can find links to order it through our myspace page. We've only got an album sampler and one full song from the new album up (Another Drink), but we should have some more full songs up soon. I know I'm biased but it is really awesome, and you all should buy it cause we're loving broke!

We're going to be touring as much as we can to promote the record so hopefully we'll come to a town near you, I know we're heading down to New Orleans/Mississippi/maybe Alabama in January and Knoxville in February and we're in the planning stages of a trip out to California and back during me and our sax players spring break which is sometime in March I think. Keep an eye on our myspace (and eventually our actual website) for shows, and if you want us to come to your town and can help us set up a show just shoot us a message.

Also I can't loving wait for the Bosstones to do a full tour so I can see them, it's been way too long. Anybody that goes to the shows this week needs to let us know what the lineup is like, I'll be curious as to who's playing with them now.

Josh Wow fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 26, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Adinsxyz posted:

You guys need to get that album up on iTunes, I just found your stuff and I want the new album instantly!

We're working on it, I'll try and remember to let you know when we get it up.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

mix.lunar posted:

Why is it that a lot of people who say they're ska fans only like First Wave or Two-tone and completely hate on Third-Wave?

Maybe it's because they don't like punk and most 3rd wave contains a lot of punk rock elements. I mean if I didn't like punk I wouldn't like a vast majority of 3rd wave bands.

Also if you're talking about people who are elitist about it and are like 'well REAL SKA is blah blah blah not just punk with a trumpet blah blah' well they just have a stick up their rear end.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Thornes posted:

I just checked out your Myspace and after those listens I bought Life of the Party

So yeah, I'm pretty much sold on you guys. I'm also looking forward to when you get the new album up on iTunes!

Awesome! I'm assuming you bought Life of the Party on Itunes, and if you didn't it may be a bit of a wait cause last show we played we had I think 4 copies left of it so we have to reorder. I hope you enjoy it and don't have to wait forever to get it.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Mike_V posted:

EDIT: This isn't very important, but I've been thinking that we can say that we've moved into 4th wave at this point, with bands like the Toasters, OpIvy, and others in the mid-80s until the early-mid 90s representing 3rd wave. Essentially 3rd wave being from like when the Toasters started up until around the Bosstones.

I disagree, because I don't think there's been a significant change in sound to call anything the 4th wave. There's a pretty distinct difference between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd wave ska, but Op Ivy doesn't really sound THAT different than Big D. Also the Bosstones formed in the mid to late 80s.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

RX Bandits and Gogol Bordello aren't a significant change in sound?

Gogol Bordello aren't ska (or ska punk or gypsy ska or anything like that) and one band (or a handful of bands) don't call for a 'wave change.' The waves are considered what they are because it was a significant number of bands with a significant change in sound, and that the sound they changed to was somewhat similar. Just because the Rx Bandits or Flaming Tsunamis or Blue Meanies don't sound like your typical 3rd wave band, it doesn't mean there's been a significant change in the overall sound of ska bands.

Think about the waves, 1st wave was in Jamiaca and has what we now call the traditional ska sound. 2nd wave/two-tone was in England and added punk elements to the ska sound. 3rd wave is in America and added even more punk influences and sped things up. This is obviously an extreme simplification but you listen to bands/artists from the 3 different waves and they have really different sounds. There are always exceptions and bands that sound different, but it's about the overall sound of the bands in the scene.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

I think what you're seeing now is bands that have added elements of ska to their musical toolbox filled with elements from all types of music, and say "okay, let's construct something new out of all of these materials." So you're getting a mash-up of different styles to create a new style. So you get gypsy flamenco punk, you get post-prog skapunk, you get cabaret hardcore, latin funk jazz ska, that all have at least some small roots in Jamaican music, but are too abstract to be described in that way. That's the direction it's going, to me.

I can't imagine there will ever be a straight up fourth 'wave' like you describe because where exactly can the style be taken that everyone coming out of high school would say "YEAH, I WANT TO DO THAT!"? All the "me too" bands in the last decade still try to imitate Reel Big Fish. Ten years from now, they will still be imitating Reel Big Fish. Because any new music has to be sought out, and that's not going to change. I don't see a scenario in which mainstream radio stations are back on the bandwagon. As far as most people know, ska was this cute fad that lasted from 1996 to 1998. They don't know or care about its history. At this point I imagine a revival would be as swift and futile as swing coming back. (It's kind of funny saying this since there's been a huge underground revival of traditional ska in the last couple of years, seems like every day a new band pops up on MySpace; but I dont think it's relevant to the topic at hand.)

When you look at it from that perspective, you kind of take any musical progression a band takes as a small forward step for the genre. And I like what bands like Gogol, RX Bandits, Sonic Boom Six, Cat Empire, Mad Caddies, etc. are doing to stir things up.

That kind of borrowing of small elements of other music has been going on forever with all kinds of music, we were talking about movements or waves in ska so I was pointing out how you can't count Gogol Bordello in with ska that way because they really don't have many ska elements.

As far as predicting the fourth wave or even being sure it's going to happen, I'm not. I was just saying I don't think we can say bands around now are fourth wave, I think they're similar enough to 3rd wave to still be considered that. Honestly though, I'm sure when people were hanging out listening to Madness they wouldn't have been able to predict a band like Reel Big Fish, so I'm not gonna even try and predict what the fourth wave may or may not be. I definitely think there's lots of bands out there making progress and doing new things with ska (Bomb The Music Industry being a big one) and it's great, I just don't think there's a big enough movement to really constitute a new wave.

You can't predict musical trends or what the radio is gonna play or what the popular stuff will be. There's just no way. Who would have thought hardcore would get as big as it is or be the style it is? Your example with swing was spot on, because swing totally came back around the time ska did too. Also the me too bands will still be playing ripoff RBF stuff, but who really pays attention to them anyway? There's still bands out there playing stuff that's basically a ripoff of Motley Crue, but it doesn't affect current popular rock. There will always be the bands that sound like stuff you've already heard, and there will always be bands bringing something new to the table.

Josh Wow fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 27, 2007

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

SkaWes posted:

It's not so much that I don't like new styles, I am not stuck on third wave, I just never hear of any new bands. The only two ska albums that came out this year that I can think of are Mad Caddies (Which was great) and Reel Big Fish (Which isn't really ska, but it was still a great album, I love RBF)

This year was pretty amazing in terms of good albums coming out. Mustard Plug released In Black and White which I think is their best album (and that's saying a lot), Deals Gone Bad released The Ramblers which is killer if you like the ska/soul sound, obviously Streetlight came out with Somewhere in the Between which doesn't have a single bad song on it, the Aggrolites had Reggae Hit L.A. which has a really cool ska/motown/funk/soul vibe, The Fad came out with Kill Punk Rock Stars which is awesome, and then just last week the Bosstones came out with Medium Rare and the Taj Motel Trio came out with Part of the Problem (which I've heard is better than all those other albums I've listed combined, but don't quote me on that).

There's a lot of other albums that came out that I don't personally like that much or haven't really listened to but other people might. The Pietasters released All Day which I thought was ok but it's nowhere near as good as their old stuff, Buck O Nine released a new album that I don't know the name of and my guitarist loves but I've never liked Buck O Nine, Voodoo Glow Skulls released California Street Music which I still need to listen to, and Bomb the Music Industry released Get Warmer which was good but there was a lot I didn't like about it.

Oh yea and Stuck Lucky did a split with Arm the Poor (punk band) that was only released on vinyl that has some great songs. You can hear most of them at https://www.myspace.com/stucklucky

That list is just off the top of my head so I feel confident in saying that ska isn't dead.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We'll we've got another song from the new album up on our myspace, it's called God Save the Scene and here's a link so you don't have to scroll

https://www.myspace.com/ttmt

we'll hopefully get more up soon, I'm not sure if we're gonna rotate new tracks in the top slot or take off an old one, but people always yell at us when we take stuff off so who knows.

Also there's this cool band from Alabama of all places called Shut Up Travis (http://www.myspace.com/shutuptravis) who are pretty awesome. They're better live than the stuff on their myspace (not that it's bad), so check em out if you get a chance.

Josh Wow fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 30, 2007

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

The Voodoo Glow Skulls are completely badass if only for the fact that they are all ridiculously huge dudes and their singer sounds like a zombie. Honestly though VGS are awesome, although they are somewhat of an acquired taste.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

You can now listen to our new album in its entirety online!

http://tajmoteltrio.com/part-of-the-problem.html

There's 12 songs total and I'm not sure if it'll be like this for everybody but for me I can only see the titles of the first 5 although all 12 songs play. Enjoy.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I can only see the titles of the first 5, until I use the scroll bar. :)

Also I love it.

Yea the scroll bar isn't working for me, glad it is for other people though.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I seriously love your band. Come to Massachusetts now please.

We're setting up a Boston show for our next real tour, it's not confirmed yet but if it happens it'll be the week of march 10th-15th or so. Haha, now if we go to Massachusetts and you don't show up you'll look like an rear end!

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

guppy posted:

Holy poo poo, this is really good. The title tag of the store page says that you're taking "preorders" on the new album -- is that the case, or is it actually for sale now? And is the sound of the previous albums similar?

EDIT: Oh, out since December 18th according to the newspage. I'll have to see about getting this.

Yea it's for sale now. I think right now you can only buy it through our webstore, but that's pretty much the best way to buy it since we get all the money and ship it out ourselves so it doesn't take long. It'll be up on interpunk sometime in February I believe and we're working on getting it available on Itunes. Our last album Life of the Party is pretty similar sounding although not quite as many good songs, and Feels the Force is kind of the same thing just not as good. It's basically all the same type of sound but it just gets better with each record! You'd probably enjoy Life of the Party though, and we only have like 3 copies left so if you want one I'd order it now because I'm not sure how quickly we'll reorder. It is up on Itunes though so there's always that.

Carl with a K posted:

I saw Westbound Train when they opened for Streetlight Manifesto and they kicked rear end but then i listened to some of their songs on cd and they were boring

Also, I have no clue if they're actually considered ska but it's close enough. Anyone listen to Pain?

Pain is not a ska band but they are amazing. Plus, they're from Alabama which just strikes me as ridiculous for such an awesome and different band.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Westbound Train is good on their albums (especially their last release) but it's kind of like once you see how amazing they are live the albums just don't stack up.

guppy posted:

Okay, I just ordered both. Thanks!

Totally awesome, thanks!

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Zilla posted:

You guys are really good. And oh man you're playing in Dalton, GA on the 8th? And Knoxville on the 9th? I live in Chattanooga, TN so I'm definitely going to try to make it to one of those. Probably the Knoxville show because I have work Friday night.

Awesome, if you make it out come say hi and I'll give you a free button or sticker or something.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

guppy posted:

I got my Taj Motel Trio CDs -- thanks Josh! I'll listen and post back. Quick question, I want to put them on my Zune, but I can't find a good picture of the album art for Part of the Problem. Is there a convenient way to get one or will I just have to strip one out of the website header?

Just let me know what your email address is through a PM or something and I'll get it to you as soon as I can. Hope you enjoy the cds.

Josh Wow fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 8, 2008

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

WaffleZombie posted:

To Josh Wow...Looks like someone's moving up in the ska world. Weren't you originally in Maladroit Mafia? Actually, that's a rhetorical question, I remember buying the cd from you. I've never listened to Taj Motel Trio before, but that live stream is sounding fantastic. I should be able to make it to your show in Philly on March 15th. I'll buy the album then.

Yea I was in Maladroit, and Taj is way more awesome. If you can make it out to the Philly show that'd be great, come say hi and I'll give you some free stickers/pins/whatever. I'm pretty sure that's the show we're playing with the Last Martyrs of a Lost Cause who are pretty awesome pop-punk/ska. I saw them at Ska Weekend this year and they were a blast.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

demolition rickshaw posted:

On a related note, does anyone have any recs for more female-fronted ska? I love Dance Hall Crashers and Save Ferris already, but finding more along those lines is apparently difficult.

Tip the Van are kind of Dance Hall-ish and they have a song on the Ska Is Dead comp. One and Done is also a pretty good band from Gainesville and I believe One Pump Chump are from around there too, both have chick singers. Come to think of it Chupaskabra are from Gainesville too and have a chick singer, you can just google around for their myspace pages.

seventeen posted:

Found a Taj Motel Trio show in Boston via facebook! :) It's March 11th at the Midway Cafe (3496 Washington Street). 6PM :10bux: The only opener I recognized was Senior Discount, but the other bands playing are The !ndiscretion, A Wrench in the Spokes and apparently more TBA

I'll 100% definitely be there to support you and your mates Josh Wow

Awesome, come say hey if you make it out. We're still working on finalizing that tour but here's our shows so far:

Mar 7 2008 6:00P CBCC’S at Chester Bistro Chester, Virginia

Mar 8 2008 7:30P Funk’n Waffles Syracuse, New York

Mar 9 2008 5:00P TBA Plaistow, New Hampshire

Mar 11 2008 7:00P The Midway Café Boston, Massachusetts

Mar 14 2008 7:00P The PLP Hall Manchester, New Jersey

Mar 15 2008 7:00P Circle of Hope Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

So if anybody can make it to any of those shows it'd be awesome. Our myspace is normally fairly up to date with show times and who we're playing with, and it'll definitely be up to date before we actually leave for the tour. I'm super pumped for the Philly show because we're playing with Last Martyrs of a Lost Cause and they were awesome when I saw them at Ska Weekend.

Josh Wow fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 20, 2008

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

WaffleZombie posted:

Josh, if you don't mind my asking, how did you get into Taj? I've always wondering how established bands recruit new members. Did they know you from playing a show together? Did you have to audition? How difficult is it fitting into a band that's been around for so long? If you don't want to answer any of those questions, I understand. I've just always wondered about that, but I guess I've never really had someone to as

I saw Taj for the first time when I was a junior or senior in high school and they totally blew me away, and then the first weekend I was in college there was a killer show (streetlight/big d/asob/taj/flaming tsunamis) down in Georgia (I'm from SC) and I didn't have any friends to go with me but I went anyway. Since I knew absolutely no one at the show the only person I talked to was the guitarist/singer for Taj and he was really nice, we just shot the poo poo about bands I had seen them play with. Later that semester I was on their myspace checking out dates to see when they were going to come by again and saw that they were looking for a bassist, so I shot them a message saying I was interested. They sent me some mp3s and a bunch of tabs for their songs and told me to let them know when I was ready to come down and try out.

So I started practicing these songs and about a month later I went down to Georgia to try out. Turns out I wasn't really listening to the songs as well as I should have and since the tabs were kinda confusing I was loving up a lot of the songs so it wasn't the greatest audition ever but I nailed a decent amount of the songs and apparently I'm the only person to ever really play Be Myself right the first time on an audition, so that really impressed them. A week or two later they had me come down and play half a show, which means that they had a local show and I was going to play about half the songs (since that's all I knew) and their bassist they had now was going to play the other half. The show went fairly well and they were impressed with good I did on stage, but since I was a broke college freshmen with no job and they lived 3 hours away, nothing really happened after that.

I saw them a couple of times the next year and a half at shows they were playing or just ska shows in Georgia that some guys in the band went to, so we would hang out at the shows. Then October of last year I'm sitting around on a Thursday morning studying for a spanish quiz when I get an IM from our guitarist asking me if I wanted to go to New Jersey and New York to play 3 floors of ska that weekend with them. Turns out the guy they had lined up to play the shows crapped out on them at the last minute and they couldn't find anybody else to do it. They were just going to go and play without a bassist, but our guitarist was scrolling down his AIM list and saw my name. So I say hell yea, email all my professors for classes that I have the next 2 days, let my boss know I'm not coming into work and start practicing the songs I didn't know. Luckily it was always in the back of my mind that I still wanted to play with Taj so I would periodically practice the songs, and it paid off since I didn't have to learn like 15 songs, just 5 or 6. They came and picked me up and we fine-tuned the songs on the way up to New Jersey and we rocked a show there then the next night went to New York and played 3 floors which was killer. I had gotten along with everyone in the band and had a lot of fun and since I now had a job it was possible for me to afford to drive 3 hours each way every time Taj had a show, so I started playing with them. I've been playing with them ever since and I'm moving down to Georgia when I graduate in May so I don't have to make this stupid 3 hour drive every time we have a show.

drat that was long. Short answer: I had an audition then took an opportunity for some shows when it arose that paid off. It wasn't difficult at all to fit in and I really got along with the guys in the band.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Lazlowrocks posted:

Have you ever considered CT? I'm not sure if there'd be much interest, however. Maybe a future tour?

We wanted to do a CT date but couldn't find anybody help us set up a show. We're definitely gonna try to hit it in the future.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

seventeen posted:

Yesterday was my birthday, and though it hasn't come in yet, my friend got me the Serious Awesomeness! Aquabats dvd. I can't even begin to describe the joy! I was under the impression it was out of print, but I guess I was wrong. Does anyone else own it?

I do and it's an awesome dvd. It's got tons of old footage, great fight scenes, and you can't beat 2 discs of the Aquabats just rocking out.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Backno posted:

Man for this being the ska megathread I'm suprised no one has mentioned this yet...

SKA WEEKEND 2008
Knoxville, TN
July 19th

more details to come once I get home from work and can pull up the note ben sent out

http://www.myspace.com/skaweekend

I dont' think he's posted any new info. It's gonna be at a different place this year and smaller but it should be good. Word is Taj Motel Trio is gonna be playing along with some other bands that I'm not supposed to reveal just yet ;)

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

mix.lunar posted:

Kick rear end, will it still be in Tennessee?

Yea it's still in Knoxville, it's gonna be at the World's Fair Park and apparently one of the stages is under the SUNDOME or whatever name they have for that giant ball that was in that Simpson's episode. It should be nicer since there'll be grass instead of concrete.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Chipyy posted:

My band (https://www.myspace.com/thelockup) just signed to "Do The Dog" records!

Congratulations! You guys sound awesome, maybe we can play some shows together when Taj does our UK tour.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Chipyy posted:

Thanks guys. Josh Wow, friend us up, I'd do it myself but I don't really run our myspace and I can't even remember the password at the moment. Loving your stuff, it's reminding me of Quality Softcore/Duck and Cover era Mad Caddies at the moment.

Heyyyy.. I just read our myspace, it's gone all pretentious! Our Bio used to be funnier than that. :smith:

I'll have my guitarist send you a friend request since I don't run our myspace either. We don't have anything planned for the UK tour other than that we want to do it, we'll probably end up over there in the next year or so.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Chipyy posted:

One of the perks of being in a ska band - so many band members that you can always find something else to do the boring stuff. One the other hand, it does mean you need more than one vehicle to get anywhere and have to share the free beer with more people.

We manage to get everywhere in one van but I totally feel you on having to share free pitchers from a gig. Two pitchers of beer last a lot longer between 3 people than between 6-8 people. Maybe I should start a pop-punk band...

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

I just found out that Mustard Plug is playing a few of the east coast dates with Less Than Jake. I know they're playing Atlanta and Myrtle Beach for sure, and the others are up on both their myspaces.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

gerfatty posted:

Wait, really? It's not terribly often that Streetlight plays a cover, and usually it's something more...not NOFX. I'm assuming this was some sort of joke?

I've seen them play it at least once, possibly twice. It's a good cover too.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

CDX posted:

I would give my right nut for any kind of news about a new album or tour or anything to do with The Planetsmashers. Anyone?

You asked for it but it's not good news.

As you may or may not know on the Ska Is Dead Tour that had the Planet Smashers, the Toasters and Westbound Train the Planet Smasher's bassist got held back at the border cause he had some pot on him. The bassists for Westbound Train and the Toasters filled in for him on that tour, and since then we haven't really heard much from them. About 2 months or so ago I heard that the Planet Smashers sold their van, and then a few weeks ago I heard that the sax player for them is now playing with the Toasters, and their drummer is also playing with the Toasters but will be switching out with the drummer of Westbound Train as well.

So it looks like, for at least the time being, the Planet Smashers are dead. :( For me this is right up there with the Suicide Machines breaking up, and I can only hope that one day they get back together and tour some more. Unlike the Suicide Machines though I see it as pretty likely that they at least record some more music, and then when Dave can get back in the states go on tour so I'm trying to stay optimistic about it.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

For anyone interested our latest album Part of the Problem is finally up on Itunes. The best part is they censored the titles of two of our songs, so instead of Josh Sucks Kites and Turn Down the Suck they put Josh S***S Kites and Turn Down the S***. No poo poo. Anyway it's $10 and we've got our other two albums up there as well, and for now that's the only way you can get Life of the Party since we haven't gotten it repressed yet.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We're doing a Florida tour pretty soon, so I figured I'd let you guys know about the shows in case anybody can come out. We're playing with a lot of really good bands so it should be a good time.

May 29 2008 Sluggos Pensacola, Florida

May 30 2008 1982 Gainesville, Florida

May 31 2008 SKAFEST 2008! @ Transitions Art Gallery Tampa, Florida

Jun 1 2008 Churchills Miami, Florida

Jun 2 2008 Precision Wave Studios Boca Raton, Florida

Jun 3 2008 Jack Rabbits Jacksonville, Florida

https://www.myspace.com/ttmt for show times and other band info.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

mix.lunar posted:

Hey Josh, have you guys ever come up the east coast to PA or New York? I wish you guys would come up to PA but you probably don't have a very big following up here.

We just played Syracuse and Philadelphia on our last tour in March. We're planning on doing another East coast tour in early August so there's a good chance we'll hit Philly again and we'll probably do a show somewhere in New York too.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

guppy posted:

Maryland? Eh? Yes?

Maybe, I don't think we've ever played there and I don't know any bands from there but it's a possibility.

DHCJohn posted:

Does anyone know who does the intro music to this video? It's been bugging me all day. I'm pretty sure the video title also doesn't match the song title, so I wouldn't use that as a hint.

"Complex"

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=105932749

The song is called Fine Young Man.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

For any of you Florida folks around Jacksonville the Supervillains just got added as headliners to our June 3rd show at Jackrabbits. I'm super excited because every time I've seen the Supervillains live they've been awesome. I pretty much never see anybody talking about them on ska boards though, I think they might be bigger with the Pepper/Sublime kinda crowd than with the ska kids crowd. Anybody else here love them as much as I do? If you haven't checked them out their last cd Grow Yer Own is really badass.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

The new LTJ song is good, definitely miles ahead of their last album. I think I'm doomed to be forever dissapointed by LTJ records though, since I don't really care for much they released besides the first 3 albums. I'm still debating on whether to go to their show in Atlanta. They still put on a killer live show but there's usually only about 4 songs they play that I really like. However Mustard Plug is playing and I would totally pay $20 just to see them.

Edit: Well what a coincidence I just got a call from our guitar player that we're playing the LTJ show in Atlanta, guess I'm going after all :)

theempathogen posted:

For the record, they only shine live. I thought the studio version of their music versus their live music was like... comparing a cardboard cut-out to a human being. What did happen to those guys? They were fun.

I'm not completely positive on this but from what I remember a couple of the guys in the band (the singer/bassist and somebody else) were from NC, and the rest of the band was scattered across the UK. Because of this they rarely toured and therefore didn't have much of a fanbase. I saw them once or twice in Columbia and there was nobody at these shows, probably about 20 people that were there to see the local bands. They still put on a good show though. I think I heard somebody say the two dudes from the US moved over to the UK about 2 years ago but I don't know about that. Bari Saxy Man is a killer song though.

Josh Wow fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 27, 2008

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

It looks like the Slackers and the Pietasters are doing a tour in the UK in late June and early July, that'd be worth checking out. The Slackers are a really amazing live band. The Pietasters used to be really amazing but they've gone way downhill, you might catch them on a good night though. There aren't too many UK bands I know about but I've heard a lot of good things about Sonic Boom Six. I didn't really care for the stuff on their myspace but they're worth checking out. There's also a band that somebody posted they were in a while ago (sorry I don't remember their name) called the Lockup that are pretty awesome. I was gonna suggest Howards Alias as well but turns out they just broke up. Check out those bands myspaces/websites for their tour dates, and it looks like https://www.moonskaworld.com shows a lot of the big tours coming around.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Daddy Two-Coats posted:

I just picked up The Taj Motel Trio's new album, Part of the Problem. It's pretty good (at least the first half is, before it turns into a series of songs about the same ex-girlfriend), but they're a cool band from my local area and I just thought I'd drop the name because I didn't see them on the band list. I'm discovering a lot of great new stuff through this thread, keep em coming!

If you're anywhere near Atlanta we're playing with Less Than Jake, Mustard Plug and the Suburban Legends this Friday at the Masquerade which will obviously be a kickass show. We're playing first so if you come out make sure to show up early enough to catch our set. And the last half of the album only has 3 songs about girls :colbert:

Also if anybody out there still hasn't heard Part of the Problem you can stream it for free at http://www.tajmoteltrio.com/part-of-the-problem.html

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Mustard Plug is one of the best live bands I've seen in the past couple years. They put on a killer show and always have a great setlist, it helps that their new album is amazing. I'm so pumped to see them Friday.

Also I forgot to put this up earlier but there's a pretty decent video of Taj playing at the Tampa Ska Fest on our recent Florida tour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tQINsZaBCw

There are more live videos from pretty much every band that played that night if you click on the guy that uploaded its profile. Make sure to check out the video for Paranoia Dance Party! since I don't think they have a myspace or anything recorded yet but they're an awesome Hardcore-Disco-Ska-Punk band. Sounds dumb but it's really cool and they did a bitchin cover of I will survive. Other bands that were at the ska fest that were really good and probably do have a myspace were the Brentford Sound, Angry Banana (although their myspace stuff isn't killer, their new album is gonna be), and Skuff'd Shoes. Also if you guys haven't checked out the Duppies from Gainesville they're killer actual ska ska. There you go, that's my recommendations for small ska bands from Florida or that recently played in Florida.

Josh Wow fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 18, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

These aren't new but I haven't seen them until just now, I heard Thomas did horrible playing solo at Bamboozle but I didn't realize there were videos online:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QAXvTJGwnVI&feature=related

That's definitely the worst one and it's really bad. Most of the other ones I watched he didn't screw up too much but he wasn't singing very well at all. I think he should just stick to near screaming like he normally does live.