Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Less Than Jake put on the best show I think I've ever seen from them. I pretty much only really like their first 3 records (well I think the new one is good too) and they played 10-12 songs off the first 3. Near the end they just kept cranking out old songs, it was killer. Mustard Plug put on an awesome show too, as usual. Suburban Legends were kind of crappy. They didn't sound too bad and they played better songs than on the last Streetlight tour but it just wasn't working for me. Overall it was a killer show though and if you have a chance to go I definitely would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

mix.lunar posted:

Nah, it's not just you. I hear a lot of people say it.

That's because indie is now a genre of music. If someone says they listen to indie music, I have a good idea of what they mean. If you want to talk about independent bands/labels you now have to say the full word or risk people think you're talking about Of Montreal or whoever.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Nine Lives posted:

I really dig the sound of Westbound Train, who I found through this thread, can you guys recommend me similar bands?

Deals Gone Bad are pretty similar and they're an awesome band. I think their latest cd The Ramblers is probably their best. You'd probably enjoy Go Jimmy Go and the Stingers ATX too. I'd also recommend the Aggrolites, they aren't too much like Westbound but they're killer and people who like Westbound normally like them from my experience.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

So in somewhat good news the Planet Smashers are not completely dead, they have a couple dates on the Canadian Warped Tour. Who knows if/when they'll tour the states again but at least they're still going.

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Is there anything Save Ferris like that isn't terrible? I know of Tip the Van, a CT ska band, but they have this gimmick in singing harmonic fourths (I think its fourths?) and that wears thin pretty quickly. Also, old No Doubt works, but have any other worthwhile 3rd wave bands had female vocalists?

I like the Dance Hall Crashers, but you may not enjoy them since they also have 2 female singers. They pull it off a whole lot better than Tip the Van does though so check them out, I really don't like Tip the Van either. Also I don't know how easy their stuff will be to find but the Busdrivers were a pretty killer band from Florida, but their main singer wasn't a chick and I don't remember just how much the chick in the band sang. There's also two other ska bands with chick singers from florida one is One and Done and the other is One Pump Chump. One and Done is the better of the two, and was formed with members from the Bus Drivers but the chick sings a lot more.

Edit: Oh yea if you don't listen to Skankin Pickle do it now. Their guitarist was a chick and did some singing and they're amazing anyway.

Josh Wow fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 30, 2008

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Chipyy posted:

US folks - how 'into' UK ska are you guys, generally speaking? Are you particularly aware of it? Or do most UK ska bands not cross the pond? What about older UK two-tone bands from the 70s such as The Specials, Madness, Bad Manners etc?

From what I've seen with people my age nobody is really into UK bands except for The Specials. For the current crop of UK bands you'd be hard pressed to find somebody that knows who Sonic Boom Six is among your average ska fan, and they're arguably the biggest contemporary UK band over here right now. I think most people know who Bad Manners, Selecter, Madness and the English Beat are, but not as many people listen to them. Honestly out of probably the biggest 5 UK ska bands ever the amount that I think people actually listen to them over here is The Specials, English Beat, Madness, Selecter, and then Bad Manners. Which is really a shame because Bad Manners are killer, yet I've never hopped into anybodys car and had them on the stereo nor have I really heard anybody talk about them.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Backno posted:

so I have to ask...how was ska weekend?

I had a great time not just playing but watching a ton of great bands. I know a lot of people were bummed that there weren't any really big bands, but I honestly enjoyed this year a lot more than last year. I think Detonate may have been the band I enjoyed the most, they're super tight and just amazing live. I saw Green Room Rockers for the first time and they were killer live, and Hub city Stompers really surprised me because I don't normally enjoy them that much but they were great. Royal City Riot was also a present surprise because I didn't like them that much last year but they were awesome this year. The only real dissapointment I had was Stuck Lucky, they have a new drummer and they weren't nearly as tight as they normally are and he was playing really simplified versions of their old drummers drumlines.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Backno posted:

well I saw Detonate ,Stuck Lucky, and Fatter than Albert like 2 weekes ago and I agree on Detonate and Stuck Lucky. And GRR are from Indiana and I still need to see them when I get a chance. How was the new venue/stage set-up.

fake edit: sorry about all the questions...drat having to plan my wedding in a month

I liked the new venue and stage set up a whole lot. In years past a lot of the times you'd be missing bands because there was 4 stages going and you had to decide who you'd like to see more. This year there were 3 stages, with the 3rd stage ending sometime midday and it worked out so there was only 1 band I wanted to see that I missed part of their set. The venue itself was really nice, being on grass is a lot easier to stand around on all day rather than concrete. The only thing I didn't like about the new venue was that at the old one there was that restaurant (Barleys?) where you could go to cool down and grab a bite to eat and a beer if you wanted. They still had food but it was stuff like hot dogs and funnel cake. Overall though the new place was way nicer.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Big D were doing great for a while. Shot by Lammi was pretty good, Good luck was killer, Gypsy Hill was still good even though some of the songs were a little boring, and Good Luck was 2/3 of a really good record but they decided to make it ultra long and leave in stuff that should have been cut. Then they started playing dub. I don't know how many of you own the Salem Girls EP but it is ridiculously bad. When that came out they started playing dub live and stupid Dave would be playing his stupid rear end melodica at every show. This is where Big D really went downhill.

They then announce that their next 3 albums are going to be a ska album, a punk album, and a dub album? What the hell? I don't know if their success went to their heads or Dave finally started making the decisions or what but goddamn is that a horrible idea. So they release a split with Brain Failure where Brain Failure's side is 10 times better than Big Ds. They had 1.5 good songs on it, which were Digging In Your Nails (which is still kinda annoying due to Dave's voice) and I'm Yours Boston which is a good song with really annoying singing/lyrics. At this point they've consecutively released a bad EP and a pretty bad half of a split. This is when Strictly Rude comes out.

At first when Strictly Rude came out I thought it was horrible except for Noise Complaint and Fly Away. Even Noise Complaint isn't that great because of how repetitive the lyrics are and how they totally hosed up the gang vocals and everybody sounds bored, but I still like it. As I've listened to it I realize it isn't a horrible record, but it is a horrible Big D record. It doesn't sound anything like the good Big D from back in the day. At best it's a mediocre record but they say this is their all ska record and they put just an absolutely horrid acoustic-to-punk song on it "let the drat cows moo...." and don't even have that much ska on it to call it strictly rude and good god I loving hate what Big D has become they used to be so good. Sorry that was so long, I needed to vent.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Dear Sergio posted:

I miss the Ska Is Dead tours :(.

There's gonna be one in 2009. I believe Voodoo Glow Skulls are on it but who knows who else will be on it. I'm predicting Bomb the Music Industry will be on it as well but that's just me talking out of my rear end, I haven't actually heard anything about it.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Detonate's second album, Undead, is amazing as well. They're working on a full length now that they'll be releasing for free online, I'm pretty pumped for it.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Thornes posted:

Does a Ska band exist that you have not heard about?!

Hah. Hard to answer that question isn't it?

Definitely, especially west coast bands. Hell I'd never even heard of Chase Long Beach until they played Ska Weekend this year and they've opened for Reel Big Fish on the west coast. But there aren't that many ska bands around that are really doing much, so when you play in a band in a certain area you tend to play with all the other bands that are constantly doing shows. Plus when I was in high school and college I went to go see pretty much any show that came within 4 hours of me that had decent ska bands on it, and any show within an hour that had any ska band on it even if they sucked. I mean poo poo I thought 33 West and I Voted for Kodos were pretty lame but I'll be damned if I didn't go see them when they came around.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Flutch posted:

Hmm, I've been looking for some more punk-ish ska, along the lines of Detonate, The Flaming Tsunamis, The Suicide Machines...but I haven't had any luck.

I picked up a Less Than Jake album on a whim, and I dig it, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for.

Sorry, I'm new to this scene. Haha.

Definitely check out Public Access, they even have some free stuff you can download from https://www.communityrecords.org which coincidentally has stuff from another band you might like, Stuck Lucky. In fact you should love Stuck Lucky, they're amazing. If you're into the Flaming Tsunamis and that kinda ska-core check out Fatter Than Albert. Last but not least a lot of stuff from the Fad might be right up your alley. Here's some easy clickability for your listening pleasure:

https://www.myspace.com/publicaccess

https://www.myspace.com/stucklucky

https://www.myspace.com/fatterthanalbert

https://www.myspace.com/thefad

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

The Action loving rule live. That is all.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

demolition rickshaw posted:

Anyone know if they're playing any of their older songs on this tour? Last year in Orlando I was loving stoked to hear Liquor Store, but that was chosen on the Wheel of Fortune thing that they did.

On their last tour with Mustard Plug/Suburban Legends the show I was at they played more old stuff than I've ever heard them play, and I've seen them several times. It was probably the best concert of theirs I had ever been to.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Sweet, I'd be pumped to get the FIF DVD. I still listen to them all the time and I finally started liking the last album (the end is near). It took a while to grow on me. I'd suggest anyone that hasn't listened to Five Iron to start with their first live album, Proof that the Youth are Revolting. It's amazing.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Goddamnit The Fad broke up. I haven't seen them in forever due to their van getting all destroyed and then not touring and we were gonna play a show with them in a loving month but instead I get to never see them again. Everybody needs to go pick up Kill Punk Rock Stars, their last album. It is awesome.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Dickeye posted:

Is it up on Community Records?
The only band on there I'm irked that I didn't see when I could is Fatter Than Albert. They played a show with 4point0 this summer and I took off early, like after the second band, so I could go see about a girl.

I doubt it, they released it on Bankshot records and usually record labels get kinda pissy if you just give away an album. It's totally worth the $10 to buy it though. Also Fatter Than Albert is about to go on a hiatus pretty soon cause their guitarist is leaving, so if they play a show near you go because you might not get a chance to see them again anytime soon. I know they're doing a Florida tour in late December because they're doing it pretty much the exact same days we're doing our tour but we're trying to hit different cities on different days so it's been a bitch getting anything booked. I believe they're doing a short midwest tour as well in January.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Dickeye posted:

They're not doing anything in NY. I checked Kingston Beats' site not long ago, and I asked Ska Danny about it (dude who owns Kingston Beats).

Are you talking about Fatter than Albert? I'd hope they weren't doing anything in NY for their midwest tour since NY isn't particularly close to the midwest :) Also Ska Danny is an awesome dude.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Dickeye posted:

Nobody's doing anything in NY that I've heard about or care about except for the Toasters playing in Syracuse in two weeks.

Two of the Fads final shows are in NY! One in Amityville and one in Bethpage.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_Angry_Viewers

No ska bands on there but it has a list of all the winning videos.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Dickeye posted:

Hey Josh Wow, you know a bit about the scene. Ever hear of the Argonauts or the Gammas?

Never heard of the Gammas but last time we were in Syracuse we played with the Argonauts. I don't know what they're doing now but at the time they were a 3 piece of drums, acoustic guitar and sax. Surprisingly they were actually pretty awesome live, I don't think I've listened to their recorded stuff recently enough to remember it.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Well Flatfoot 56 is doing the whole Toasters tour, so it isn't like they had too much of a choice. *Bonus fact* The merch guy for Flatfoot 56 on this tour used to play bass in the band I now play bass in. Toasters and Flatfoot are playing in Atlanta tonight, I'm not going because I'm poor and sick though.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

guppy posted:

Went to see the Toasters here at the Ottobar tonight. I was shocked at how small the crowd was. Guess they're not a big deal anymore. :(

Depends on where you see em:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E65FQTS8rLU

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

WaffleZombie posted:

However, Emotron was pretty much the worst excuse for an opener I've ever seen. And I'll just say that I definitely saw more (much more) than I needed to see.

Dude, The Emotron is awesome. Did you know he toured out to Alaska and worked at a fish cannery or some poo poo like that for a month? It's always good to have some weird rear end poo poo just for the sake of weirdness.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

I have not but I hung out with Robby (their guitarist?) this summer when he was playing trumpet for Matt Wixson around the time Ska Weekend happened. Whenever we go to Cincinnatti I'm hoping we can set up a show with them, I've never seen them live but I like their recorded stuff.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

My band recorded a Christmas EP, you can download it for free at:

http://www.tajmoteltrio.com/PBS.html

and some of the songs are on the myspace at:

https://www.myspace.com/TTMT

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

weekly font posted:

XMas stuff is cool, what do you play? The thing that blew me away most when I looked at your page is that Mustard Plug is still together.

Mustard Plug is not only still together, they're rocking as hard or harder than ever before. They just released a DVD as well, I'm currently waiting for it to get to my house. Also I forgot to mention we're doing a short Florida tour this weekend, so if you live in Florida come on out and say hi.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

guppy posted:

What is it with these bands? I'd love to support them but there's no way for me to buy their music. Happens every time, seems like.

I'm going to hazard a guess and say it's because to sell your music online it takes a certain amount of work and organization, and to a lot of smaller local bands like this it just isn't worth it. It looks like these guys have been together for about a year and probably only play local shows, so they don't have that much of a reason to get their music up on Itunes, or get their stuff sold through Interpunk or start up their own webstore just to sell 4 copies of their EP to random people that stumbled upon their music.

However I bet if you shoot them a message saying you want a copy of their EP they'll work out a way to send you one.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

I just finished editing a pretty crappy video montage of our recent Florida tour. Hopefully the next one will be better since now I know what kind of footage works best but you can check this one out anyway at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKIaskwa5vY

guppy posted:

Yeah maybe I'll try that. Is it really that much effort to put up your stuff for sale on MySpace Music? I thought that was exactly what that service was supposed to fix.

I dunno about putting stuff up on Myspace music, it might be pretty easy. Even if it wasn't much work though they probably just haven't thought that anybody that hasn't seen them live would really wanna buy their music, so they haven't gone through with it.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

I loving love the Rudiments, although the only album I have of theirs is Circle Our Empire. Now I'm afraid to listen to anything else lest it not live up to awesome songs like The Doctor and Skactopus.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

No, they didn't have a local opener for Atlanta so it's not every show.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

That'd be sweet, I'm pretty sure we haven't played with those guys before.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

drat I'm out of the loop, I didn't know it was coming out this soon. Hopefully it'll be kickass.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

They cover a lot of different songs, not just NOFX. Also their cover of linoleum is awesome and I hope it's on one of their next albums. Which it probably will be, I remember hearing they have plans for 2 or 3 new albums, one of them being a cover album from 'risc group bands' (I assume Streetlight, BOTAR, and Dan Potthast/Stitch UP) called 99 songs of revolution.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Yea it's a bunch of dumbass poo poo, I expect about 2 albums to get released out of all this poo poo. Chances are they'll be 2 really good albums though.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

loldance posted:

I'll share some FL locals i love:
The Duppies - http://www.myspace.com/theduppies

Dude, the Duppies are totally lame.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

gently caress the Bosstones until they actually tour. Playing select shows every once in a while for huge amounts of cash doesn't equal touring, and it means the closest they've come to me is about a 12 hour drive. I cannot wait to see them again, so they need to do a loving actual tour where they come within 6 hours of me.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

All they're doing is playing big shows that'll get them a lot of money. CA, Las Vegas, baseball stadiums, festivals, etc. I want a real tour, in venues, that spans a good chunk of the US. I have my doubts they'll ever do this, I could see them just stick to playing the big money shows. I really hope I'm wrong.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Gang of Four Meets the Stooges (but boring) rules. I could really do without the acoustic guitar and slow piano stuff though. I haven't gotten all the way through yet but thank god this record is more punk rock and less indie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

WaffleZombie posted:

A bunch of random crap:

- I was excited to see that Taj Motel Trio will be playing in Moorestown, NJ (near Philly) in March. And then I realized that I already have tickets to see Less Than Jake that night. I hate when that happens. I'm sorry Josh :(

Yea, we were actually gonna try and play Philly that night but then I saw the Less Than Jake show and knew that was hopeless. Never fear though, we're going to be doing another east coast/northeast tour this summer and hopefully we can do a Philly show with Last Martyrs of a Lost Cause (who's record is awesome).

Also speaking of bands signing to labels Royal City Riot (who's album is also awesome) just signed to Megalith. I only saw Chase Long Beach once, at Ska Weekend, and the crowd wasn't really into them. We were setting up to play so I didn't get to really watch their set, but I didn't much care for it either. They're apparently pretty big on the west coast though.

Also we're leaving for tour in like a day, so if you live near one of the shows come on out and say hey. I'm the dude with the stupid mohawk. We're playing with some great bands on most of the shows:

Mar 5 2009 West Columbia, South Carolina

Mar 6 2009 Chesterfield, Virginia

Mar 7 2009 Syracuse, New York

Mar 8 2009 Albany, New York

Mar 9 2009 Jamaica Plains, Massachusetts

Mar 11 2009 Dansbury, Connecticut

Mar 13 2009 Staten Island, New York

Mar 14 2009 Moorestown, New Jersey

If anybody that lives remotely close to any of these shows wants to let us crash on the floor it'd be greatly appreciated, we can't afford hotels and it is cold as hell sleeping in the van.

More info is on the myspace of course: https://www.myspace.com/ttmt