Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Are there any areas in the US with a strong local ska scene anymore? A lot of bands skip Dallas altogether because nobody goes to the shows anyways.

Amorphous Bob posted:

The Aquabats (the band that got me into ska) has disappointed me as of late. I saw them in concert three years ago, and--although it was drat good (the Phenomenauts and the Epoxies opened for them. Whoot)--My heart sank when they proclaimed themselves to be surfer rock. Losing the entire brass was painful enough, but Super Rad just wasn't Super Ran without the horns.

I went to a show on this tour! Unfortunately the Epoxies didn't play here, but that show got me hooked on the Phenomenauts. Anyways, the Aquabats still put on a pretty kickin' show for a bunch of near 40 year olds in latex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Well, that's good to hear. I might actually be living in Boston next year!

Meanwhile, can someone tell me which mu330 album to start with?

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Well, I know what I'm doing on Christmas break!

edit: motherfucking Potthast

a slime fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 3, 2008

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

I'm the only hardcore FIF fan still around, but Reese posted this recently

I'd kill to have them do a reunion tour come 2013.

I would fly anywhere in the world for this. FIF was my first show, and it was goddamn magic.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

For some reason I never discovered The Rudiments until last week. I am digging the hell out of Circle Our Empire, but from the little bit I've heard the rest of their albums are poo poo.

I kept catching songs on Last.fm and ended up buying the album, I haven't found anywhere you can listen online or I'd link something :( all of the songs on their MySpace are lovely

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Skactopus is the best loving song

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

Although I generally cant stand ska, I found "kiss your rear end goodbye" by the Blue Meanies in a stack of my old LPs this week, and that album still rocks. Ive listened to it like 4 times since I dusted it off.

Blue Meanies are the poo poo, I wish I still had their stuff. It's up on Amazon Music, I might have to pick it up again...

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Everything Goes Numb is the better album hth

Obama Yo Mama posted:

ASOB Three Cheers for Disappointment is up there for me. I could listen to that album forever

loving agreed

alvinthegreat posted:

Coincidentally, I am listening to this album RIGHT. NOW.

Get out of my head, dude.

Hey me too :shobon: their self-titled album is my favorite though

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

I would like to share a picture someone made for a thread like two years ago that sums up my feelings about this music

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Dickeye posted:

Speaking of, anybody else going to see Streetlight tomorrow?

Ohhh poo poo I'm gonna be in Dallas for the next two weeks and they're playing in Austin, fuuuuuckkk

Hell yes I am making that drive

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Lurchington posted:

I've had a Pandora station seeded with Streetlight Manifesto and it's really been a good background for a lot of my workday.

After seeing a lot of SM avatars I went poking around for this thread. Thanks thread. :)

Still loving:

A lot of Less Than Jake
Five Iron Frenzy
Tomas Kalnoky-fronted bands
Reel Big Fish (especially Cheer Up)
Suicide Machines

And really there's good new stuff on my pandora station every day :)

Ahhh gently caress I haven't listened to the Suicide Machines in forever, now I know what I'm doing when I get home from work

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

I've only listened to a few yet but they are great so far

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Post awesome ska videos

The Planet Smashsers - Change

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Heyyy they're playing in NJ on Saturday

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

I saw them on St. Patrick's day last year and was not too impressed

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Here is 25 minutes of a Choking Victim show that for some reason I have never seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02pAYlMbwNo

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Thornes posted:

Speaking of Choking Victim, what are some good songs by them? Leftover Crack too for that matter. I want to give them a shot but some of the songs I've heard sound too much like death metal with the growling and rumbling and poo poo.

I'm just not into that kind of thing.

500 Channels, Five Finger Discount and Born to Die are my favorites. And of course Crack Rock Steady is the poo poo.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

I still think How it Goes is their best album even though that will make many people very angry. They need to just get back to that. At least with that album they were tossing every idea they had into the mix, instead of segregating their bad ideas into separate CDs. It was 70 minutes of music, and at least 30-35 minutes of it was good. 0 minutes of this new album sound good so far.

Agreed completely

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

The Dallas ska scene is poo poo. No offense to The Goners but god drat, there is a reason good bands skip Dallas now.

Ska shows don't have rules just go and please actually dance even though nobody else will

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

TLG James posted:

Has anyone seen "The Beat"' or "Hepcat" before? Are they any good?

Also, I see that RBF has abandoned all their real websites except for their myspace. Reel-big-fish links to their myspace and reelbigfish is bought by some other guy.

Hepcat is loving bad rear end but they are old so

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Good Luck is such a loving good album

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

gently caress Warped Tour. Warped just means nobody comes to Europe for the summer

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Jealous as gently caress

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

aricoarena posted:

http://www.skabrewing.com/main.html Two of my favorite things have finally come together.

I found some of this in a liquor store in West Texas once of all places, it's not very good but the bottlecaps are loving awesome

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Frankly I think the new Streetlight album is great, I feel like it's a bit more eclectic than SitB, or maybe less gimmicky? I've been listening to it all day and I feel like I won't get tired of it as quickly

Such Great Heights and Just are my favorites but I don't think any of them are bad or even mediocre

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Yeah agreed, I was really hoping a poorly mixed Punk Rock Girl would leak because I think I would like it better

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

I'm waiting for Stza make a new band that isn't terrible

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

It would be loving cool if The Aquabats brought back a horn section but I thought they decided they were a "surf punk" band now or whatever? I didn't have the feeling they were interested in doing horns again

aricoarena posted:

The first star loving hipsters album was pretty good, I liked it at least.

Im waiting for Big D and the Kids Table to fire their singer or for him to die or something. His halfass talksing terriblness has made the last 2 album unlistenable. Also the lyrics are poo poo.

I like a couple of songs but overall I thought it was really cheesy and kind of embarrassing to listen to. Maybe I should feel that way about Choking Victim/Leftover Crack but for whatever reason I don't

And I always figured Big D would break up instead of replacing their singer

Honestly deep down I am waiting for The Impossibles to do a reunion tour

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Miscellaneous_T posted:

I only think Hello Rockview is alright compared to Losing Streak.

For real Losing Streak is such a killer album

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

interpunct posted:

Madness:
- One Step Beyond (Prince Buster)

:aaaaa:

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Obama Yo Mama posted:

big d isn't really an album band, i think their real appeal is when they're seen live. i agree with the sound quality of the albums but i actualy liked strictly rude save for a few songs. fluent in stroll, i didn't even bother

that's weird to read, i really like a lot of big d's stuff but they are also the only band i have literally walked out on

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

for some reason i thought that said worst covers, i saw one step beyond and got really mad

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

i'm pretty sure Fluent In Stroll is big d's "gently caress you we make whatever music we want"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Why did nobody tell me about The Impossibles reunion. Why. Why am I in tears