Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreeable Badger
Aug 8, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Warped Tour is comically bad outside of a few bands every year.

The Protomen are one of those bands for this years lineup. My greatest regret is not travelling to Nashville last New Years Eve to see them play with Diarrhea Planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

SadBag posted:

Does anyone know whether the Warped Tour is worth going to? I only know about 3 of the bands there, and I've heard that I'd be surrounded by 15 year olds.

My co-worker said when he went it was great, but that was back in 1997.

If you are not a 15 year old do not go to Warped Tour.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

stay depressed posted:

it's really good you should go

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

kirkjames posted:

I've never heard Internal Riot but everything from Demolition War through 29:29 Split Vision is flawless.

The Day the Country Died is real good but I haven't really heard much else. I have it and EP LP on vinyl and that's it.

I own every crass album on vinyl because I am insane and love them. I put Yes Sir, I Will on in my car and my girlfriend, who had never listened to them before, asked me, "Can we please listen to something less disturbing?"

Dylstew
Nov 24, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The Day the Country Died is real good but I haven't really heard much else. I have it and EP LP on vinyl and that's it.

I own every crass album on vinyl because I am insane and love them. I put Yes Sir, I Will on in my car and my girlfriend, who had never listened to them before, asked me, "Can we please listen to something less disturbing?"

Anything they've made after the first two albums is pretty strange, so I can see where she's coming from.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
My buddy plays drums in this band and you might dig it. It's more on the Loma Prieta/Defeater side of things but I like em.

http://www.avclub.com/article/aviator-wants-you-hear-its-head-noise-207054

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

1997 made me think about 1997 and it brought up an old band I used to listen to a bit.

poo poo loads of gently caress all. From Toronto. Check them out.

http://www.punkrockers.com/Shitloads%20Of%20FuckAll

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Anybody listen to the debut album by '68 yet? It's a two-piece with the vocalist of The Chariot and a drummer, but instead of chaotic metalcore it's more like 90s post-hardcore/noise rock.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Just discovered the emo band Penfold. Really dig their EP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ03AXz9LxU

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Anybody listen to the debut album by '68 yet? It's a two-piece with the vocalist of The Chariot and a drummer, but instead of chaotic metalcore it's more like 90s post-hardcore/noise rock.

I tried. I was a huge Chariot fan (saw them about 15 times, drove 400 miles to their final show) but I just can't get into it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
EDIT: Probably better for either the prog or indie rock thread.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 23, 2014

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

listening to it now, for the 1000th time already. its fucken sick.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

Ursus Veritas posted:

New Joyce Manor is streaming on NPR. Link.

I'm really happy with this album.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
I've got Yautja and Idylls tapes in if that is what gets you off, fellas.

http://tapes.storenvy.com/

Tailwhoop
Oct 18, 2008

Luigi to Kobe's Mario.
I didnt know where to label this band, I assume here.

So I discovered this band called In Oceans which, in my opinion, sounds like if At The Drive-In never broke up, but still went in the direction of Mars Volta, but with a heavier tone, I dunno.

Here's their album Jack The Lad.

http://inoceans.bandcamp.com/album/jack-the-lad

Glass Fingers is probably my favorite track off the record, along with Buzzards. Anyway, point is, after discovering these guys, I learn that they broke up. Which sucks. Anything you guys could recommend that's similar to their style? Chaotic, with clean and unclean vocals?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

what do people think of the new titus andronicus song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h867xcWM5Ho&list=UU2MEeqCpAj3eJLvrCC9eRu

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Offspring covered a couple of songs by Bad Religion and Pennywise as a promo for the Summer Nationals Tour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4ZiO-OdO94

Honestly, this lovely cover makes me not very excited to see The Offspring. Not that I was to begin with...

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
ahahahaha god

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
On a couple of those dates, Stiff Little Fingers is playing. Which is why I'm going and then leaving before a grown man named Noodles takes the stage.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Best cover band ever.

http://angrysnowmans.bandcamp.com/album/angry-snowmans

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
Found this band randomly the other day, Being As An Ocean.

Its like if some deathcore bros covered mewithoutyou, I guess. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CkqhWIrMYM

Don't know if it belongs here or in the metalcore thread or what.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
There is absolutely nothing deathcore about that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah BaaO are straight up post-hardcore. Dear G-d was a pretty good album. Heard nothing but middling things about the new one.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

cf posted:

There is absolutely nothing deathcore about that.

Yeah, I know. I was trying to convey that it felt like a deathcore band and mewithoutyou made a baby and it landed somewhere in between the two.

And so far I have foudn their newest album to be a lot better than Dear G-d.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
It feels like a bunch of dudes listening to The Wave bands.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Tailwhoop posted:

Glass Fingers is probably my favorite track off the record, along with Buzzards. Anyway, point is, after discovering these guys, I learn that they broke up. Which sucks. Anything you guys could recommend that's similar to their style? Chaotic, with clean and unclean vocals?

I'll reach a bit and say maybe try BATS.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The Offspring covered a couple of songs by Bad Religion and Pennywise as a promo for the Summer Nationals Tour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4ZiO-OdO94

Honestly, this lovely cover makes me not very excited to see The Offspring. Not that I was to begin with...

i unironically love crusin' california

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yesterday Sass Dragons announced they finished recording a new album, True Adventure. I'm so loving excited, Bonkaroo is one of my favorite albums of the last ten years and New Kids On The Bong was great and then they broke up and they got back together and oh man it just rules. gently caress yeah, Sass Dragons.

IBurnStuffAlot
Feb 25, 2008

:siren:DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN:siren:
Just got back from Vandals/Pennywise/Bad Religion/Offspring at Terminal 5.

Really disappointed with the show:

Vandals: Brooks Wackerman filled in on drums, songs were tight, they didn't play Euro-Barge (but they did play Cafe 405, which was fun as hell) and they closed with Queen's "Don't Stop me Now"
Pennywise: They sucked. Played Bro Hymn so all the douchebags were happy. Also some dude in the VIP section got mad that I said he looked like Matt Berry. His friend came up to me and claimed that they had booked the show.
Bad Religion: Once again, no Brett. They sounded amazing, but I can't help but feel that we're only getting half the show with Gurewitz devoting all his time to Epitaph. Fun, nostalgic, but considering they were the only reason I went, not worth the $60. I wrote down the set list; if anyone is interested, I'll post it.
Offspring: Kind of fun but Dexter only played guitar on like half the songs. Didn't actually play through all of Smash and actually played Pretty Fly. Should have left after Bad Religion, or spent the last 40 minutes trying to get back stage.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

IBurnStuffAlot posted:

Vandals: Brooks Wackerman filled in on drums, songs were tight, they didn't play Euro-Barge (but they did play Cafe 405, which was fun as hell) and they closed with Queen's "Don't Stop me Now"
Pennywise: They sucked. Played Bro Hymn so all the douchebags were happy. Also some dude in the VIP section got mad that I said he looked like Matt Berry. His friend came up to me and claimed that they had booked the show.
Bad Religion: Once again, no Brett. They sounded amazing, but I can't help but feel that we're only getting half the show with Gurewitz devoting all his time to Epitaph. Fun, nostalgic, but considering they were the only reason I went, not worth the $60. I wrote down the set list; if anyone is interested, I'll post it.
Offspring: Kind of fun but Dexter only played guitar on like half the songs. Didn't actually play through all of Smash and actually played Pretty Fly. Should have left after Bad Religion, or spent the last 40 minutes trying to get back stage.

What the gently caress were you expecting?

IBurnStuffAlot
Feb 25, 2008

:siren:DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN:siren:

kirkjames posted:

What the gently caress were you expecting?

Expected pretty much what I got. I had heard Brett was going to play this tour, which is why I bought a ticket... I think this may be the last Bad Religion show I'll go to see- sucks because they are my favorite punk band.

Oh well, I still have Horse the Band next week.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

IBurnStuffAlot posted:

Also some dude in the VIP section got mad that I said he looked like Matt Berry. His friend came up to me and claimed that they had booked the show.

I had to look up who Matt Berry is but now that I know what he looks like I know who you're talking about. They did book the show.

quote:

Should have left after Bad Religion, or spent the last 40 minutes trying to get back stage.

I work there and I assure you that would not have been a good idea.

Massaki
Aug 5, 2014

"TWOOOUH FINGGUHHHS TO U SAMOA JOEY" -Kenta, 2016
Has anyone else here checked out a band called RADKEY?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5K0ZOH-koY

Fairly new dudes. Think they're gonna hit it pretty big when they finally drop their album.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If anyone is in Michigan, Empire! Empire! just announced their album release show in Flint on August 30. $15 advance or $18 at the door gets you:

Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) 10:10-close
Into It. Over It. 9:15-9:55
Kid Brother Collective 8:3-9:00
Foxing 7:45-8:15
The City On Film (First full band show since 2006!) 7:00-7:30
The Reptilian 6:15-6:45
Dowsing 5:30-6:00
Kittyhawk 4:45-5:15
Warren Franklin & the Founding Fathers 4-4:30
Mountains for Clouds 3:15-3:45

I think I'm gonna try to make it.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

IBurnStuffAlot posted:

drat we should have done a goon meet, I was there last night too. Vandals were meh (not a fan though). I thought pennywise was actually okay. Bad religion was amazing and it was the first time seeing my favorite band live. Greg is old as gently caress. I stuck around for two offspring songs, I had seen them live at a warped tour show about a decade ago, so wasn't really feeling it. Their outdoor performances are a lot of fun.

At least I got to see BR live, was worth the money for me. Terminal 5 kinda sucks though.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
The only reason to go to that Offspring/Bad Religion tour is if it's one of the dates with Stiff Little Fingers.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Just got home from Toronto, seeing the Summer Nationals tour.

The Vandals were loving awesome. They might be old but they are still ridiculous and full of energy. They played I Have an Ape Drape in honor of being in Canada, which was great. Also Live Fast, Diarrhea, My Girlfriend's Dead, The People that are Going to Hell, ANARCHY BURGER, It's a Fact! and a couple other songs. They also ended with Queen's Don't Stop me Now.

Pennywise was ok. They played a lot of old stuff which was pretty good, but eh I've seen them twice before and they basically always play the same poo poo. They spent a LOT of time dicking around between songs and it was kind of annoying.

Bad Religion was really good, as always. They played a really varied set, I was surprised to hear at least five songs I had never heard live before.

They opened with Stranger than Fiction, then played New America (wtf), 21st Century Digital Boy, gently caress You, Struck a Nerve(!!!!!), Skyscraper, Sorrow, True North, Infected, No Direction, You Are the Government, 1000 More Fools, Best For You, Do What You Want, You, then I believe they ended it on American Jesus. That might be out of order. I can't remember if they played any more songs but it was pretty amazing. I had never heard them play New America, Struck a Nerve, You are the Government, 1000 More Fools or Best For you so that was kinda cool. Except for New America because that song is awful and the only thing that redeems it is the awesome music video. I have a video of them playing No Direction that I might post later.

The Offspring aren't that good, Dexter's voice is really weak and they are kinda boring live. They are also SUPREMELY unfunny and needed to shut the gently caress up between songs. I stuck around to hear all of Smash because it's such an amazing album and even their subpar performance was worth watching for the experience. Their performance was something you would expect from a band like Green Day or AC/DC or something; the drummer and third guitarist (some dude they just added?) were up on platforms while Dexter, Noodles and the bassist were on the normal stage. There were a lot of bright flashing lights and specific people were lit up when they were the main focus and it was kind of weird and dumb because it was super flashy but they barely moved around. The other three bands seemed super down to earth in comparison. My thoughts leaving were that The Offspring really doesn't deserve the fame and popularity they garnered considering how poo poo they are live and the fact that Smash was their best album, also Americana isn't that great and everything after it is garbage.

I did get a sweet BR shirt with Reagan and a bunch of AMERICUH poo poo on the front and "I Feel Sorry For the Earth's Population/Because so few live in the U.S.A." on the back which is awesome

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
United Nations roasted by Vanessa Bayer before their show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPhyNif42nw

Pretty funny.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I was so confused as to how that must've gotten set up until she said that her brother was in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASSASSINS!
Jan 2, 2009
i'm just gonna leave this here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9GCrWXrQfI