Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Dear Middle East in Cambridge,
When you don't put up a barricade and have the Bouncing Souls play, people are going to stage dive and crowd surf. Having security grab these people down from the air and drag them out and kick them out is bullshit. You didn't even have signs posted saying crowd surfing would result in a boot. gently caress you.

How was their show? I'm seeing the Souls in Philly in July when they do their crazy play all their albums in four nights thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

FateoMcSkippy posted:

It was good. Short, but good. Their first 2 albums only total 54 minutes in itunes. Can't wait to go back tomorrow and friday.

Good to hear. I get worried whenever a band is pushing 20 years of existence. I can't afford to see them all four nights so I settled for the night they're playing Summer Vacation and Anchors Aweigh. I am really tempted to go to the last night show too though because Blanks 77 is supporting that night only. Maybe I'll be able to work that out.

Inspector_71 posted:

I just love tiny venues though.

On a related note the first time I saw the Souls was at the Chameleon Club in Lancaster, PA, which is just a tiny venue. I don't remember there being a barricade either. I love small venues but that was the only time I thought I was actually going to die at a show.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
This pleases me greatly. Suddenly I'm getting old and all the bands I like are even older than I am. Shows and new releases are becoming a real crap shoot. It crushed my heart when I saw Dropkick Murphys about 3 or 4 years back and they had no energy one stage left. Not to mention I haven't been thrilled by any of their albums since before Warrior's Code. Flogging Molly is turning into a disappointment now, too. :(
They still put on a great live show, though.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Try talking to people at shows. A lot of times it's the same people at every show, so you might as well get to know some of them. I've met some pretty cool people at shows so I don't mind going alone anymore.

Phlegmish posted:

To break out of this 'hardcore' mold, there is some great female-fronted punk in general:

Contravene
The Devotchkas
The Voids
The Messengers
Antischism (male and female)
Deadline
Blatz (male and female)
The Avengers
X (male and female)
The Gits
La Gachette (male and female)
Ballast (male and female)

Don't leave out the Distillers from this list.

Another female fronted punk band I was just introduced to is Scattergun from Pittsburgh. They're pretty solidly street punk.

Edit- grammar.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

Good Will Punting posted:

Where should I go from stuff like Jay Reatard's Blood Visions and the Buzzcocks' Love Bites? I'm trying to get into more punk and I like the dirty-but-melodic sounding stuff.

I'm bad at this, help!

If you like the Buzzcocks then probably the easiest next step is to check out more of the early punk bands. Obviously there are the Sex Pistols, the Clash, and the Ramones, but I would also check out Blondie, the Dead Boys, the Dictators, Rocket from the Tombs (I cannot stress this one enough), and Stiff Little Fingers (I stress this one even more). Listen to the Stooges while you're at it.

For dirty-but-melodic that isn't early punk, there's a lot to go with, although a lot of bands started out sounding really dirty and got progressively tighter as their experience and production qualities improved. In any case, here are some of my favorites for dirty-but-melodic.

The Dead Kennedys- Holiday in Cambodia. Worth listening to is other well known 80's hardcore, like Minor Threat, Black Flag, and the Bad Brains, but these bands aren't as melodic. Their British counterparts tend to have a bit more melody though.

GBH- Generals

UK Subs- Fascist Regime

Other poo poo:

(Early) Anti-Flag- I'm Being Watched by the CIA

(Early) Bouncing Souls- Born to Lose

Violent Society (shamelessly plugging a sort of local band)- Sarge's Last Stand

the Vandals- The People That Are Going To Hell

The Dickies (because they make me giggle)- Stukas Over Disneyland

The Misfits- Where Eagles Dare

Operation Ivy- The Crowd

Or hey, maybe Oi! Punk is your thing.

Sham 69- Hersham Boys

Cock Sparrer- Argy Bargy

The Business- England 5, Germany 1

Anyway, that's probably enough to tide you over for now. Listen, explore. If modern hardcore is more your thing then ask around the thread, but I go for more dated stuff. Whatever suits you.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
drat it! I knew I forgot someone I was planning on including, and it was the Dead Boys. Although when it comes to the Rocket from the Tombs/Dead Boys/Pere Ubu band trio I tend to gravitate more towards RFTT and Pere Ubu. I had a chance to see the surviving and reformed members of RFTT play a show last year and ended up missing it, which I think I will always regret now that Cheetah Chrome is retired and another tour is unlikely.
To make it worse, I actually study punk, especially early punk, as an historical subject on the side at my university, and RFTT is about as early punk as it gets :eng99:

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I don't think Pussy Riot has any recordings other than what you can find on Youtube. I've found a couple websites selling shirts that claim the profits are going to Pussy Riot's legal defense but I couldn't guarantee you the money would actually get there.

I'm probably going to end up making my own Free Pussy Riot shirt since I have yet to find a shirt that was in Russian, and if it's not in Russian then what's the point.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

Pope Guilty posted:

IIRC their actual name is Pussy Riot, not something Russian.

Yes, but the people responsible for their legal troubles speak Russian as a first language, and it is so much more fun to tell people they're wrong in their native tongue.

Speaking of Russian punk, anyone else in North America besides me listen to Mongol Shuudan? If not, have a link.

Conversation With Death

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

AcidRonin posted:

Yes little boy, This is a bunch of Colt 45, and yes that is a Down With Nothing shirt i am wearing. I know it's covered in X's, now please kindly gently caress off and dont come back till you can sepperate good music from a sometimes somewhat pretentious ideology. Also you look like your 14, call me when you hit drinking age. And have bills.

http://www.mitchclem.com/nothingnice/8/

I think that sums it up pretty well.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

Ricecop69 posted:

NOFX and all the great "older" bands.

I've been listening to NOFX for years and I still can't decide if they're any good or not.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

Dickeye posted:

Sometimes.

Even their best of album had a lot of bad songs on it (and missed a lot of their better ones).

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

Dickeye posted:

NOFX is a band that sometimes I'm in the mood for them and sometimes I'm not, and even when I am in the mood it's for a very specific chunk of their catalog.

That chunk is called So Long and Thanks for All the Shoes.

NOFX is that band that you listen to for a couple songs before you realize you could be listening to the Descendents instead. And the chunk for me is Punk in Drublic with any other NOFX cravings being covered by the Greatest Songs Ever Written (By Us).

Speaking of 90s punk bands, is anyone else excited that Plow United is playing shows again?

Also, does anyone here listen to any Taqwacore bands?

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I kind of feel the same way Lieutenant Dan does. I'm not into much of hardcore, emo, or screamo. It's cool and I sometimes check it out. Lately I've been listening to Chotto Ghetto a lot since finding them on Quote Unquote's website. But my interests lie more in old school punk, post-punk, folk punk, and contemporary non-hardcore punk; none of which this thread seems to have much interest in. So I mostly lurk and occasionally post when bands I like get mentioned. It's difficult to get the conversation developed though because other topics quickly appear which eclipse the momentary discussion.

Of course part of it is the case that classic punk has less of a following today simply because those bands, by and large, no longer exist. New music is shiny and exciting in contrast. The problem though is that while hardcore and punk might share distant roots today the genres have diverged so much that today the audiences, in my experience, have little cross over. In this thread we have two distinct groups (with hardcore fans in the majority) trying to share this same discussion space.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
So in the spirit jumping starting a discussion about something a bit different for this thread I'll tell you how I spent last weekend. It was spent reading. Occasionally my university isn't paying enough attention and I can sneak projects through that are mostly my own interests. This weekend it was the intersection of punk rock and Islam. I give you taqwacore.

Taqwacore is a term coined by author Michael Muhammad Knight in a novel he wrote about a fictional Islamic punk scene entitled "the Taqwacores." It's a pretty good book and a fun read. There's a movie version of it now too which is also pretty good, but I digress. Taqwacore is part of a third wave of Muslim punk music. Unlike Knight's vision of taqwacore which had bands concerned mostly with Islam as a religion, real taqwacore (some of which have embraced the label, others have denied it) tend to focus more on politics and culture. In terms of musical styles taqwacore has lots of different sounds.

The Kominas- Sharia Law in the USA

The Kominas- I Want a Handjob

Al-Thawra (crustcore-ish)- Beneach the Edifice

Secret Trial Five- Middle Eastern Zombies (edit- sorry for the bad quality, all their videos are live performances)

I'm not a Muslim nor am I from the Middle East but I'm really fascinated with this movement. It's been a long time since anyone in punk has been really provoking all of society but these bands are out there pissing off both Western society and the more conservative Islamic society. To close this post, have a video of the Taqwatour getting forced off the stage at a major North American Islamic convention by the cops after the convention officials decided they didn't like the tawqacore message.

Pigs are haram.

Hobbit fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 31, 2013

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

FedoraDefender420 posted:

These are really cool. That Counterstrike sample really tops off Sharia Law.

I've only run into the opposite myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUk-LcIdMdI

This is cool. I'm a sucker for documentaries so I hope this gets distributed soon. I've heard rumors of some pretty interesting punk/hardcore bands from Israel but I couldn't name any of them. Anyone know any?

Lieutenant Dan posted:

That Taqwacore is really cool. The Kominas remind me a bit of a Middle Eastern The World/Friendship Inferno Society.

I've never really thought of the Kominas like that until now, but you're right. One thing I left out of my last post was that the Kominas (with a slightly different line up, I think) actually tried a tour of Pakistan. Although the people who turned up at their shows were pretty positive to them the tour was otherwise fraught with problems, many caused by fundamentalists. IIRC one of their gigs might even have been bombed.

My academic project on punk rock and history is continuing this weekend. If I find anything cool maybe I'll share it.

Otherwise punk goons, I have a request. Does anyone know where I can find a video of Stiff Little Fingers performing "At the Edge" on Top of the Pops (1980)? It's been pulled off Youtube for copyright poo poo and my Google-fu has failed me.

And a song: "We Are the Clash" reimagined and reworked by Sparks off of Uncut Magazine's 2003 tribute to the Clash cd.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I think World Inferno Friendship Society occasionally has a banjo. Mischief Brew probably does. Defiance Ohio definitely has a banjo.

Edit: the Pogues. Always Pogues.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

Inspector_71 posted:

Yup, definitely ready for September.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os9JNJAVy9s

3 days after my birthday, too!

I've never really been able to get into Touché Amoré but I really liked what I heard in that promo.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I was introduced to Defiance Ohio after I complained to a friend that the Mischief Brew albums after Smash the Windows weren't doing it for me.

For the mother of all folk punk there's Reverend Peyton's Big drat Band; best 40 minute washer board solo I've ever seen.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

Lieutenant Dan posted:

I actually saw them open for Flogging Molly once, and then a few years later they were playing a show at the Mint in LA and it was incredibly rad. They had the same sound but also improved immensely. Also, I am just delighted at any band that boasts a member named Washboard Breezy. What's a good album to start on?

I've never actually listened to one of their albums all the way through but my favorite tracks are on The Whole Fam Damily, namely "Mama's Fried Potatoes" and "Your Cousin's on Cops." I started sporadically listening to Reverend Peyton while they were touring with Flogging Molly as well. It was probably the same tour. Was Neck the other support band?

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Five or six years ago would be about right. For me it was the Green 17 tour, specific show was in Atlantic City. It was really cool because Henry Rollins was doing a spoken word show in the other room (House of Blues) and he walked the line for Flogging Molly before his gig. Henry is a short man. Way too many of the young "punks" in line didn't know who he was. It was heart breaking.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Rollins has CDs of his spoken word shows and many are on youtube/netflix. I've been to one. It was amazing. He spoke for 3 hours and never took a break; not even a sip of water. He's funny but not clownish and sticks pretty well with current events, usually connecting them to his past experiences. Some stuff about Black Flag but not overwhelming. I really like his writings too. In Do I Come Here Often? Rollins compiled diary entries from a Lollapalooza tour with the Rollins Band. His thoughts on Nine Inch Nails and the Offspring from that tour are kind of magical.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
When I saw his show he told the story of when he stopped fighting back at shows because the wounds he sustained got infected.

He also told a story about watching the Superbowl at William Shatner's house.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Flogging Molly is playing an August 1st show in Atlantic City with the Wailers. There's an odd line up.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I'm frankly astounded New Model Army still exists. I never would have thought that until now.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I checked out the Bad Religion Christmas album. It's not bad at all.

I wonder if they were going for irony, since few of the selected songs are secular, of if after 30 years Bad Religion is tired of being angsty and did the songs they like.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I don't listen to much hardcore but I've always associated Hatebreed with Sick of it All.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Early Dropkick Murphys has a lot of Oi! influence to it. Definitely check out their first two albums, Do or Die and The Gang's All Here. They also have some splits with other Oi!/skinhead bands, notably the Business and Agnostic Front.

Also, Sham 69. They were one of the first, if not the first, Oi! band.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

I'd love to be a lawyer at this festival: Danzig and the Misfits, Black Flag and Henry Rollins.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I came across the So-So Glos yesterday while browsing the NME. They're new to me and a bit refreshing for my preferred tastes in punk.

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/watch-ny-punks-the-so-so-glos-new-video-for-diss-town-premiere

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

Henchman of Santa posted:

They played college a few years ago and were one of the most generic sounding bands I had ever heard. Have they improved?

Having not heard their earlier stuff I can't say for certain but probably not. I was just kind of happy to find a new-to-me band that wasn't screaming or steeped in dissonance still making passable punk.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

Vegastar posted:

I've been listening to a lot of female fronted punk lately. Not sure why, lots of Discount, This is my Fist and White Lung. Anything in that same vein ya'll can recommend?

The Distillers, Bikini Kill, the Eyeliners... for old school stuff you have the Slits and Siouxsie and the Banshees or even Patti Smith, Blondie, the Runaways, or Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.

Others that come to mind are the Horrorpops. None of these bands really fall under the hardcore variety though.

Edit- Vice Squad

Hobbit fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 20, 2014

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I forgot Penetration.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

ASSASSINS! posted:

fyi RAC is the best thing to be born out of the ska/reggae scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YxPVdSZFbQ

:frogout:

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Just got back from seeing Agent Orange. The show started really slowly because, oddly enough, it was 21+ on the floor and the underagers had to go upstairs to the balcony. According to security this was the band's choice. In any case, it led to there being very few people on the floor and very little energy until Agent Orange was on stage. Once Agent Orange was on everyone started to move around for the first time since doors opened. Then the 40-something punks started flashing back to the 80s and formed a really good, and especially polite, pit. All in all a good show even for the slow start.

I'll head back to see the Dead Milkmen in a couple weeks.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

Smash it Smash hit posted:

haha if that was actually agent orange's choice, gently caress them. That legitimately sounds dumb as poo poo.

Dead milkmen rule tho.

I really don't think it was that dumb, not at this venue. The Chameleon is a small floor with two wrap around balconies on the second and third floors. The show wasn't super popular so it didn't look like anyone upstairs wasn't able to see the band, and talking to some kids after the show they still had enough room to thrash around, albeit back a bit from the balcony rail.

On the downside the two opening bands (locals Trio Agave and the Architects from KC, MO) had a somewhat lackluster audience directly in front of them. Trio Agave was surf rock, and didn't really invoke thrashing or moshing anyway. I spoke to their singer after the show and he was really pleased with the crowd response regardless. On Trio's last song two drunk guys very aggressively opened a two man pit and started slamming into everyone in sight. Since the crowd was still really sparse up front at this point if you got hit you were probably going down. These two lasted about 20 seconds before security shut them down. Unfortunately this put a damper on the crowd for the Architects, who when they didn't see any thrashing on the floor, called us cowards and immediately lost all support from the 21+ section.

When Agent Orange came on stage the floor immediately filled in as people came from the bar but it wasn't so packed that you couldn't move, like it usually is at this venue when it's all ages on the floor. A pit formed during AO's first song and while really rough it was very polite and steeped in etiquette. No one was trying to gently caress up anyone else. No one was throwing punches, everyone was respectful. Everyone read the crowd and saw what was appropriate and what wasn't. Aside from the two drunk guys from earlier having to be ejected from the venue on AO's first song because they started moshing while double fisting glass bottles, security never had to venture onto the floor again. Everyone left from the floor in a great mood.

Contrast this to the last show (Streetlight Manifesto) I saw at the Chameleon, with an all-ages floor, where fights were breaking out before bands were even playing and people were being hurt left and right. That show was a nightmare.

So while you might say "gently caress AO" for giving the floor to the 21+ crowd, and perhaps, jipping the kids out of floor access, I'm going to play the selfish card and continue to support moves like this. It was the best show for me in years because I could drink my beer in peace, move and breathe freely, and mosh in a very respectful environment.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm just glad Agent Orange are still doin their thing. That's a band of old guys I'd go see.

Turns out that only the singer is left from the original line up but he's still got energy.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

Smash it Smash hit posted:

fights at a streetlight show? what kinda idiots go to shows there? weird.

I dunno I have seen a bunch more idiot groders (see the two idiots in the post l) than young kids. The worst thing young kids do is get railroaded in the pit imho

I have a couple theories on the aggression I've seen at this venue and overall why its dynamic is so different from most other venues.

First, it's in Lancaster, PA, so it likely draws in an audience of people from remote Pennsyltucky locations for whom a trip to Lancaster is reasonable but the haul to Philly, Pittsburgh, or Baltimore is too long. This means that a lot of the patrons, especially the younger folk, have had much less experience at shows and really don't understand the etiquette. Also, I think that since many of the patrons get to far fewer shows than their city-dwelling counterparts there is a lot more emphasis put on each show to be exactly what they want it to be, since for them the next show is in six months, not next week. More people are there to throw down and gently caress somebody up.

Second, the layout of the venue seriously conflicts with normal punk show practices. Have a picture from the Agent Orange show:

That is the entire floor. When people start pushing onto it for the headlining band there is literally no place for anyone to go. Cue a 17yo punk kid at one of his first shows or a huge linebacker beat-down-hardcore guy not understanding that and continuing to shove his way through the crowd to that perfect spot. Normally this is standard practice for a punk show but on this small floor no one will move because no one can move. If the shoving continues, people get pissed off. One of the reasons I single out the 17-21 age group as being particularly problematic here is that they've been to enough shows to know that a certain amount of pushing and shoving is generally accepted at punk shows but they are still too inexperienced to read the room and realize that size of the floor will not accommodate that behavior.

rear end Catchcum posted:

I actually think Streetlight has the worst/most aggressive fans I've ever seen.

I've seen Streetlight at this venue twice. First time the show was great. However, the second time was on their "last tour" and I think that brought all the lovely people out of the woodwork who wanted to capitalize on their last chance to gently caress someone up to Streetlight.

I think Streetlight also incites trouble because they really bridge the gap between punk and ska. Both the ska fans and the hardcore types show up. The ska fans want to skank, the hardcores want to mosh, and it leads to friction.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

Ras Het posted:

Nice anthropology lecture bruv.

Sorry. Not totally my field but kind of my field.

nomapple posted:

That venue doesn't look that different to many gig venues I've been to?

That picture is from a show where the floor was 21+. For an all ages show, double the number of people on the floor.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

Ferrule posted:

Captured! By Robots is on tour again and if they (?) come to your town do yourself a favor and go.

They're playing near me on Halloween. I suppose I have no choice but to go.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I'm seeing the Dead Milkmen tonight. I haven't been hearing great reviews of their live performances but fingers crossed. I'm hopeful it'll be good since I'm not looking for anything super high energy. As long as I hear Punk Rock Girl I'll be happy.

Edit:

AAR Dead Milkmen: show was ok. Aside from a couple bouncy people the crowd had little energy until the encore. They played most of their better known material in the first 20 minutes of their set. After that they got a bit jam bandy.

Hobbit fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Dead Milkmen are great live, I saw them a few years back in Chicago.
It was great being around the pit with a bunch of 20-something punks & dudes wearing ties who had just got off their 9-5 job and grew up listening to the band :unsmith:

Unfortunately, while the band had some energy, there were only a couple people in the crowd bouncing. Almost everyone else was only tapping their feet and nodding their heads. There wasn't any moshing until the encore, and even then only on a couple songs. I think because it was a Sunday night everyone was kind of taking it easy because we all had work the next morning.