Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I don't think anyone has asked this before but is anyone going to Cry Me A River Fest in Germany this year?
Here's the line-up:

MILVAINS
DING DONG DEAD
HAMMERS
PLANKS
ALPINIST
DOLCIM
GLASSES
LOMA PRIETA
PUNCH
COMADRE
FARGO
ME AND GOLIATH
RESURRECTIONISTS
MERKIT
GRINDING HALT
JUNE PAIK
TITAN
DANSE MACABRE
BATTLE OF WOLF 359
ZANN
SADDEST LANDSCAPE

I'm awefully disturbed by the lack of Louise Cyphre but I saw them last year so it's not too big of a loss. Pretty psyched about The Saddest Landscape though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

acup posted:

:gizz:

I wish I could go to that, but I'll settle for seeing Suis La Lune and Bow 359/June Paik later this summer.

Suis La Lune is pretty badass, would love to see them sometime. And BOW 359 is really amazing live. I saw them last year still thinking they were kinda "meh" and I was simply blown away as I found myself punching the stage like crazy midway their set.

On a similar note, is anyone going to Fluffest? I'm still trying to figure out how to get there cheap.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I hate how all year the only decent skram shows in Belgium were Gods & Queens and Zann. And then, all of a sudden, there's a Comadre/Punch/Trainwreck/Millions of Them(check the last one out, they're Belgian hardcore, ex-Am I Dead Yet?) and a Titan show. In two different towns. loving hell.

Someone's been talking about merging the two shows. Which would be rad as gently caress. I could go without a skramz show for another year if that was the case.

Sorry about me using the horrible term 'skramz'. Just gotten so accustomed to it.

e: Just heard La Dispute is playing here soon as well. I'm as mixed on them as most people here but are they any good live?

e2: I think I just convinced the organiser of the Titan show to email the Comadre show organiser. There appears to be some friction between them but it's in the best interest of the bands that they merge. A lot of people won't doubt about which show to go to, after all, Titan only has one (meager) local support act. Personal grudges are so not hardcore.

NeilPerry fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 31, 2010

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
La Dispute with Le Pre Ou Je Suis Mort and Isaiah(Belgian skramz) tomorrow. Going primarily for the support acts but at the very least La Dispute is pretty entertaining for such a melodramatic band.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Oh, the new Comadre/Glasses split is out and free to download.

http://www.siqdrugfront.com/comadre/

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
So dudes, what's new in skramz? I'm completely out of touch. The only thing I gathered is the new The Saddest Landscape record. Anything else of interest?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

ChrisFarley posted:

Last new screamo album I picked up was Raein's "Ogni Nuovo Inizio" which is absolutely awesome. I also grabbed the Killie/Off Minor split because it was a steal and the packaging is baller, but I think that's not a completely recent release.

I got those over a year ago. Not exactly the newest in skram. It's starting to frustrate me beause I think I just don't now which skram bands are actually active these days. I'm not "with it" anymore. Gah!

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I love Envy but the more post-rock it becomes the less interested I am. I still can only listen to "All The Footprints You've Ever Left And The Fear Expecting Ahead."

Also, they don't get enough attention but Caitlyn Bailey just recorded their new album. Everyone should check that out!

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Angiepants posted:

I've been meaning to get into Comadre but don't know where to start. Guide me please.

Burn Your Bones -> Trainwreck split -> A Wolf Ticket

Then just get all the rest.

Some of them are free to download on their site such as A Wolf Ticket, Glasses split and several mixtapes with covers and unreleased songs.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Angiepants posted:

Awesome, thanks.

In other news, why was I never informed of how amazing La Dispute is? I've been missing out, holy poo poo.

Mostly because most people are pretty ambivalent towards it. You think it's awesome at the start and then you kinda lose interest.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Angiepants posted:

Oh no. :ohdear: I'm only three tracks into Somewhere at the Bottom of the River and I'm still into it but I can see where the loss of interest could come from. They remind me of mewithoutYou and their first album is a huge guilty pleasure of mine. v:shobon:v

Haha, don't worry. If you like it you like it. It's not particularly bad. It's just that most people see it as a hardcore and less religious mewithoutYou and that automatically registers as awesome. But some people think that's all it is sometimes.

I like their little Hear Here(or is it Hear hear, I don't recall) releases. They're free and are extremely minimalistic little songs with poems and pieces of literature.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Inspector_71 posted:

I just downloaded the Cutting Pink With Knives "discography" and holy poo poo it's actually a really good thing they broke up, because the demos for the newer stuff are awful. There

The stuff they did release is top-notch though, and there's some really loving good unreleased stuff in here. I wish I could have seen them live.

EDIT: Yes I know I'm like 2 years late to get this stuff.

I saw their final show :smug:

They were awesome. Too bad the CD I bought from them got lost in the mail. I do still have their 7inch splits. Good stuff.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I'm really getting into Snowing and Midwest Pen Pals. Anyone got any other recommendations?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Parachute Underwear posted:

1905 owns if you don't mind a bit of yelling in your boy/girl-fronted punk bands. They also have a pretty sweet split with Amanda Woodward (not a female-fronted band though).

Then you might as well recommend I Would Set Myself on Fire For You as well.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Inspector_71 posted:

Then you jump to Circle Takes The Square.

Then Battle of Wolf 359

e: Or The Assistant

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Parachute Underwear posted:

I was going to but he said punk so v:shobon:v Not that it really matters, they and CTTS are really awesome.

It's all punk, really.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
http://www.comadreblog.com/

It's that time again. Everyone go and download the new Comadre mixtape for free.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
What just happened on the SA front page? That is honestly the best write-up on Skramz I've ever read.

Edit: Hell, the Shikari @ CMAR video even has me in it!

NeilPerry fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Oct 22, 2010

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

ChrisFarley posted:

Thanks a ton! Garbage Day asked me to write something about metalcore or screamo and I couldn't pass it up.

Someone at CMHWAK(which is a skramz forum, has dudes from Fight Fair/Seeing Means More, You and I/In First Person and Caitlyn Bailey on it) asked if you happened to have experienced the 90's skram scene personally, and if you were in one of the more notable bands.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Inspector_71 posted:

Also thanks for not being too hard on Thursday. Someday I hope I can shake Geoff Rickly's hand and thank him for keeping it real.

Geoff is the loving man. The United Nations page has a shitload of skram references. Most of Thursday's music doesn't really appeal to me but I love Full Collapse and their shows are still pretty loving sweet. The whole Daitro and Thursday debacle was kinda ignorant and slightly arrogant on Daitro's part(not knowing how Geoff Rickley used to do shows for Reversal of Man and so on) even if their point was valid.

NeilPerry fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 23, 2010

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

BRAIN HANDLE posted:

I saw I Hate Myself this weekend. Screamo is dead as hell.

Come to Europe. It's pretty okay here. You'll have the best time at CMARfest.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

ChiTownEddie posted:

Help a noob out, who is TSL?
Also thanks in general for this thread. I have discovered many a great great great band via it :)

The Saddest Landscape.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I checked this page but didn't see this posted but here you go, Snowing fans. You can download the new full length for free. But you know, donate if you can.

http://www.snowingtheband.com/

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
CMAR is up

I'm not particularly impressed. Do want to see Raein though.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
http://www.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/bike_enthusiast_shot_dead/

Punch, Comadre and Touche Amore are spreading this news around. I don't know the guy or anything but I figured someone here might.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Why did this have to happen at GROEZROCK and not somewhere in the USA where I might have had the opportunity to see it?

Belgian goon here. What am I looking at exactly? I've never gone to Groez considering the price and the fact mostly 13-16 year old Bring Me The Horizon kids gather there en masse.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
http://comadre.bandcamp.com/

New Comadre Mixtape containing new songs by Trainwreck, Punch and friggin Funeral Diner. It's only 3 dollars and it all goes to charity so don't hold back.

I've given it a listen on my crappy laptop speakers and it's pretty good except maybe the fact that the Broadway Calls and Daikon songs are a bit out of theme. But hey most of us would pay a lot more for a split of Trainwreck and Funeral Diner with those two songs alone so it's still worth the money.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

ZentraediElite posted:

http://ritualofnames.blogspot.com/

I've learned to hate this band so much yet I'm still carrying around their messenger bag. I'll listen to the new album but I don't think it'll be able to match up to the hype. But I'll keep an open mind.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
http://www.raein.eu/

New Raein album for free. Did they announce this at all?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Truncated posted:

Didn't see these guys anywhere else but it's a big thread.

Hassan I Sabbah http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5BUw8Sjp7Y

Funeral Diner http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgR5Z9Fx1is

They're both old school screamo/power violence but they are amazing.

Yeah most guys in the thread knows them. Hassan I Sabbah are douches though. I think their singer or bassist stole some money from people who wanted to buy their old records, then he laughed at them for liking the band.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
So what are people's thoughts on the new Loma Prieta album?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Killsion posted:

Not to further this derail but, just because of the actions of a musician is no reason to not listen to their music. Plenty of musicians have done some awful stuff. DKM is a bad band so you shouldn't listen to them anyway, but because the guy said "human being" is certainly not the reason.

This reminds me of the whole Drunkdriver witch hunt in the punk scene a while ago. Calling the band Rapedriver, and effectively forcing them to break up because the drummer supposedly raped a girl many years ago. Such behavior was utterly uncalled for on both sides and destroyed a fantastic band.

I don't care how good their music is, if the singer raped a girl I don't want to listen to his lyrics or give him any of my money.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Rape is most definitely inexcusable, but I hope if you refuse to listen to music by that band you've also never watched a Roman Polanski movie or, I dunno, listened to a Phil Spector record (murder's pretty inexcusable too).

Edit: sorry, I get really opinionated about this poo poo, so I promise this is the last thing I'll say on the subject: Basically to sum it up, if I were to rule out art by artists that I view as racist/homophobic/sexist/otherwise immoral, I'd have to rule out Elvis Costello, Roman Polanski, Phil Spector, Bad Brains, Wu Tang, Woody Allen, Ernest Hemingway and many more. I could either (a) dogmatically deny myself great art, or (b) acknowledge that great artists are often very flawed people and judge the work on its own merits. I choose (b), but I understand how some people choose (a).

Oh definitely, but you don't really lose anything if you don't listen to one random punk band. So I don't really think the comparison to Woody Allen and Ernest Hemingway is particularly relevant or apt.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I know this is a long shot, but does anyone here have a spare ticket for CMARfest? I didn't manage to get tickets in time but now that its only a couple of weeks away some people's plans might have changed, or so I'm hoping.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Right, I've managed to get CMAR tickets, any goons going?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I am completely out of touch with the whole skramz thing. I even went to CMAR and only really knew La Quiete, Loma, Graf Orlock and Battle of Wolf. I also don't quite like the direction the genre is going, in fact the only new thing I've found that I really liked is Republic of Dreams. Are there any other new screamo bands that invoke that Louise Cyphre emoviolence feel that I'm missing?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

nomapple posted:

Warning: It's forceful with it's Vegan message, but the passion behind the music is what makes it appeal to me.

I don't get this. Would you call anti-capitalism songs forceful? Or any other message that's usually in hardcore and screamo songs?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Bulletproof Tiger posted:

So, apparently Circle Takes the Square is all of a sudden releasing their new album tomorrow night as a digital, pay-what-you-want kinda deal, according to their Facebook page. I'm not sure how its gonna turn out, but I loved the poo poo out of As the Roots Undo and enjoyed the EP they released last year, so I am pretty pumped, hopefully it will be worth the wait.

I asked this for Christmas in jest, and now here it is. Funny how that works.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
They lived up to the hype. Now let's hope volume 2 doesn't take half as long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Okay look. I used to be really into screamo. I went to Cry Me a River fest yearly, I saw Shikari, Louise Cyphre, La Quiete,... Then suddenly I stopped. It's not that I'm no longer interested in it, it's just that I don't know where to get my information from. Also, to be fair I probably grew out of it for the most part. What are good blogs or sites that I can quickly check to see all the new noteabke screamo poo poo?