Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I just can't get into the new MLIW. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
The most accurate feeling I've seen about it is 'this is a great new Rise Against cd'.

It's probably okay if you're into stuff like Comeback Kid but I keep expecting old MLIW. Also the instrumentation clashes pretty hard with the vocals.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

carnassials posted:

Cmon, don't be ridiculous.

It still has that desperate feeling and edge to it.

The only comparison you can make between Fever Hunting and something like My Love My Way is vocal delivery (and the use of octaves or something but that hardly loving counts). I'm basically alone in my friends in that I loved My Love My Way but the most 'desperate' feeling song on the new EP is either 'Currency' or 'Cracked Sidewalk Surfer' and you're lying to yourself if either one of those seems as visceral as First and Ellen. The instruments also sound a lot cleaner which clashes pretty hard with the vocals.

If someone new to the band was to listen to the CD they'd probably find it totally fine, it's not a bad CD. I just think it's a bad Modern Life is War CD.

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Is this because you're a comic book thalidomide baby???

:iceburn:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being 'literally impossible', how likely is it I am ever going to find Fall of Efrafa recordings on a physical medium?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I'm just not sure where I'd even look. The obvious answer is ebay but that just returned me a bunch of tee shirts (most of them weren't even for the right band).

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
you're a pal, guy

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Can I have an example of '90s midwestern emo' because I am not linking that name to any distinct sound in my head

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
If that's what that is I don't know look at Good Clean Fun or something, old Armor For Sleep can sound kind of like Mineral if you bang your head in a door first? Bad Astronaut?

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 11, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

crikster posted:

Cool thanks. And hey other dude, why would you call Good Clean Fun an emo band? They do laugh at emo, "little bit emo little bit hardcore/the myspace song." But you listen to Postively Postive and it's very reminiscent to something like the old Dischord stuff, or This is Boston Not LA.
That reminds me of I Hate Myself and Want To Die who are dizzam good in the more hard core way. And the first Jimmy Eat World album is pretty good.
But I want to make a distinction between the midwestern emo and the 2000s era. The 90s were like "Hey we're just midwestern boys like you and me." Then Underoath and Taking Back Sunday era seemed like they glammed it up with the mall clothes and made everything bitchier.

Literally because the one song I think of when I think of Good Clean Fun is The Myspace Song, I don't know why.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I just got around to getting the 'new' Defeater. I'm not sure what made me pass when it first came out because I liked Bastards but I remember consciously deciding to to skip it, but I got it the other day and it's probably my second favorite release by them after Lost Ground. It also blows my mind that according to my iTunes Defeater has been around for 6 years. rip i am getting old i bought maybe i'll catch fire when i was loving nine.

Also I missed seeing the Cro Mags last week to see my friend's band and they stopped playing because the singer's girlfriend wanted 200 dollars or something to shoot for them with her iPhone.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Just throwing this out there I got to see Fury of Five play live last night. It was an awesome set (only other band I really wanted to see was Rock Bottom but Sicker than Most played awesome too) and I only got punched in the head seven times.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Well they haven't made any music in 14 years so rock bottom was apparently a long time ago.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't think I've ever actually heard a midlife crisis before.

this isn't even the midlife crisis song, you're looking for 'Come N' Get It'.

I make no apologies for the music I enjoyed when I was ten.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
suburban scum/broken chains are playing a free show like 10 minutes from me in the beginning of may. on one hand i like suburban scum and would like to see them live again, but i'm not 17 any more and dealing with the bullshit involved with seeing stuff like this live is pretty much universally a mood killer

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
so I ended up going to that show, last song of suburban scum and all the loving twink lords in the back start throwing in chairs and tables. I ended up catching a mic stand to the head I got split open pretty gnarly

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 6, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it was actually pretty stupid and indicative of the reason why I don't really enjoy seeing this poo poo live now

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Ras Het posted:

Yeah bro. You can have your baseball cap one way or the other.

uh what about sideways bro

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
anyone in the jersey area going to back to school jam?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
all out war is playing tomorrow and i'm pretty pumped for that

+other bands but hey all out war

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i saw all out war it was good. other bands who played music include:

code orange: not really my thing. i was just sort of aurally uncomfortable the whole time and when it was over i couldn't remember what happened, but apparently people were super into it.
trapped under ice: took a long time to start their set, felt like it went by pretty fast. spent the whole time catching fat dudes stage diving in between picking idiots up off the ground.
incendiary: was extremely my poo poo. feels like they played most of cost of living. got punched a lot during this.
lifeless: was also extremely my poo poo. got punched during this a lot too.

there were some other bands that i was apathetic about but they all played super early in the day so the only one who stand out was give, which made me consider leaving the show and not returning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I can get down with Title Fight as a kind of guilty pleasure but all the videos I've seen of their shows seem unbearable, full of kids that don't know how to crowdsurf, ie: going in feet first spear kicking guys straight in the face and fat fucks cannonballing crushing the 16 year old girls at the front.

do you really think this is an issue of people not 'knowing' what to do? it's people deliberately hurting other people, and it has nothing to do with title fight, or the music being played in general. it's pretty much par the course for like every show i've gone to over the past 8 years.