Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Even though I listen to a fair amount of hardcore (influenced) bands:

The Dillinger Escape Plan
Converge
Cancer Bats
Pianos Become the Teeth
La Dispute
Fall of Efafra
Minor Threat
Black Flag
Trash Talk

(and many others, inc post-hardcore bands like Fugazi/Rival Schools)

Bear in mind that I also listen to a lot of cross over stuff like Black Breath. My favourite hardcoreish album of 2012 is Cancer Bats- Dead Set On Living. Not sure about all time. Any recommendations would be welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Quantumfate posted:

Fall and efafra and PBtT make me beg the quesiton: How do you feel about crust?

I enjoy crust although I'm not entirely sure what defines it as a genre. I like Amebix for example, and Doom, but I'd be hardpressed to name other crust bands I like off the top of my head. In short, I don't feel I can answer your question, simply because I am not knowledgable about the genre.

Light Bearer/Fall of Efafra/Momentum are all fantastic bands.

I guess I forgot to mention loads of bands because I have already listened to bands like All Pigs Must Die, Botch, Trap Them and Narrows. Converge's new'un is by far one of my anticipated of 2012. I think I love that band a little too much.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I've recently really got into screamo in the vein of Daïtro, Envy and Pianos Become the Teeth. Is there anything like this that has come out this year that I need to hear? I am aware of Loma Prieta's album, I.V., but that is a bit on the fast and aggressive side to the stuff that I am really enjoying at the moment, it's a great album, just not what I'm looking for.

Thanks

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Parachute Underwear posted:

Try Suis La Lune, The Saddest Landscape, Caravels for bands that had releases this year. Check out the new Pianos/Landscape split too, if you haven't.

For older stuff, try Native, Gospel (more jazzy), Funeral Diner, Who Calls So Loud, Amanda Woodward (another French band that sounds a lot like Daïtro), Transistor Transistor (more punk), Touché Amoré, Life at These Speeds, Comadre. Some of these will sound a bit different but hey, you never know!

Different is always good, enjoying screamo is a bit of a revelation for me! Thanks for those suggestions, I already have quite an extensive playlist of older screamo to work through but I don't think I've actually heard anything from this year yet! Thanks for your suggestions :D

ash with a five posted:

Check out You'll Live maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOFEx-RGwiY

Manbearpig?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6zzUyM2mKU

I like Daitro and Envy and Pianos and I like these too so worth a shot :)

Daïtro are incredible! Laissez Vivre Les Squelettes has grown on me so much since the first time I heard it.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Kings Road Merch dropped a download of the Deluxe Edition in my inbox this morning and it is amazing so far. The production is insane, and the riffs are unreal. I can't wait for my CD/art book and vinyl to arrive!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Vegastar posted:

The re-recorded version of On My Shield sounds sooo much better. Still wish I had gotten one of those 7" when I could, though :(

Also, echoing the love for Sadness Comes Home. It, Coral Blue and the title track are probably the real standouts for me. It's nice to hear that they've finally made Coral Blue that low-tempo song they've been looking for without sounding awkward/bringing in a guest vocalist.

This album loving rules. Can't wait for the LP to actually show up. I'm not usually too crazy with variants, but I'm dying to know what the death wish versions look like and which I ended up getting.

Yeah, I really love On My Shield, and the re-recording sounds great. I really like the fact that they've put all of those individual tracks (aside from the Wolverine Blues cover, which is amazing as well) on the album. I also like that they integrated the tracks into the album rather than dumping them all at the end. I don't really have anything negative to say about the album at the moment. Converge are still putting other hardcore bands to shame with their creativity and work ethic, and All We Love We Leave Behind continues to support the argument that they are perhaps the most important band in hardcore right now.

On a side note, does anyone know if the Kings Road Merch vinyl orders were also affected? I saw my download link, but nothing about my order being delayed...

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

the Paper posted:

Having just recently started listening to PBTT's second album which is amazing, all I can say is I'm incredibly excited for the TA/PBTT split.

Same, it really clicked for me this week.

Those who like hardcore in the vein of From Ashes Rise and Tragedy could do far worse than downloading Momentum's new album for free. They've posted a link on Mediafire to their facebook and say it will be available on cassette and vinyl in the new year if you feel inclined to support the band. Warning: It's forceful with it's Vegan message, but the passion behind the music is what makes it appeal to me.

Here is a link to their Facebook page so you can see that they posted the link themselves/give them a like

PS. It contains members of Light Bearer/Fall of Efrafa.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

NeilPerry posted:

I don't get this. Would you call anti-capitalism songs forceful? Or any other message that's usually in hardcore and screamo songs?

I dunno, a lot of people on the internet at large get really wound up by "preachy vegans". I think most good hardcore/punk is "preachy" in some way. People seem to get more wound up about veganism than other things though.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Quantumfate posted:

This is amazing and makes me feel warm and fuzzy. In the sense that I am riled up and ready to mosh. The passion in this group is amazing and I love the message. I am probably going to annoy all my friends with it. On another note, the new CTTS album absolutely sent it. I know they get a lot of flak from screamo fans for being overly poetic, but I really liked as the roots undo, and this new album is incredible. It's a little more wave than I would have expected, but as someone who missed the initial screamo and emo scene (Like everyone else?) this new revival is great. CTTS is coming back into force, Pianos become the teeth is incredible, Raein is touring the west coast. Good times ahead and heralded by this amazing album.

PBTT are brilliant. I can't stop listening to The Lack Long After at the moment. Also Raein are playing here in a couple of weeks but I am an idiot and missed out on tickets! Oh well, June Paik are here in March, so I can't complain too much, really looking forward to that one.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Hopefully preorders for the TA/PBTT split goes up tomorrow with the release of the digital version. Still not sure where I will order from, DW normally get some pretty great colourways, but I am more into PBTT than TA, so I might support Top Shelf instead.

Other than that, I caught Raein live on Friday night because a ticket became available and they were really good. I didn't really know their material but I will definitely be checking it out now. The venue was tiny, and the support band, Crash of Rhinos were pretty good too.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Kevar posted:

I love Raein and Crash of Rhinos are pretty cool. Tigersuit was my jam back when I was first getting into that kind of music.

From the instagram posts I've seen it looks like DW has at least coke bottle clear and then there's also translucent gold and solid blue. Of course between DW and topshelf there could end up being any number of colorways.

Tigersuit was great live, people jumping round all over the place. All of those colours sound good!

PS I recently discovered how brilliant Mineral's The Power of Failing is, any other fans here? drat that's a good album.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Kevar posted:

Preorder for the PBTT/TA split is up on topshelf now

I ordered the bundle because I couldn't choose between the colors

edit: they're up on deathwish too. so it looks like there are 6 colorways so far. 3 for each label, at least I'm guessing because DW has posted pics of both coke bottle and clear, neither of which are on topshelf

Looks like the bundle is the only thing people were ordering on topshelf because it's already sold out. I'm really happy for both them and Pianos that they're getting as big as they are. They just put up the 6th pressing of The Lack Long After, god drat.

Ordered the half blue/half gold. I would've loved to get the bundle, but I don't really have all the money in the world at the moment, so I'll just settle with the half and half as I'm sure it will look amazing and sound great too.

e: I just checked and the bundles are sold out anyway

nomapple fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 8, 2013

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Dickeye posted:

Victory is so bad that Streetlight Manifesto has told people to pirate their next album if they can't buy it directly from the band, rather than getting it through stores/Amazon where Victory would get a cut. Victory's pretty garbage.

How come Victory's so bad? Granted, there aren't too many bands on Victory that I'm interested in, but I haven't heard anything about this.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

alg posted:

ugh, etix.

Not punk or hardcore but I bought an eticket to see The Prodigy and service fees came to £8.12 (around $12).

On a more punk/hardcore related note: What albums are on the horizon for 2013?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

bleedbackwards posted:

New Reign Supreme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDE0AUt_dJY

A little disjointed in the beginning but picks up a little over a minute in.

I enjoy this kinda beatdowny music as a guilty pleasure/if I'm exercising, but man... those lyrics. :smith:

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Could not be less interested in the Black Flag reunions, although I am feeling jaded towards reunions as a whole right now.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

alg posted:

just saw these two on elementary revolt today, both really good.

http://gattaca.bandcamp.com/album/7-ep-dog-lovers-records czech hardcore/crust. female/male vocals.

http://weareamber.bandcamp.com/ german post-hardcore.

Both sort of scratch an itch.

Seconding the love for Gattaca. Make sure you check out Axidance as well (Gattaca did a split with them and it rules). Also check out Remek if you like more emo-y stuff, I think they share members with Gattaca.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Cloud the Cat posted:

I'm not sure which thread this should go in but I'm not getting any replies in the scenecore thread, so apologies if this doesn't belong:

I have the opportunity to see The Menzingers when they support Pennywise in April on their Australian tour. What are they like live, worth seeing? I've only listened to 'On the impossible past' which I'm currently loving so I don't know much of their back catalogue. Is there any albums I should check out prior?

The Menzingers are playing 2 nights in my hometown over the summer so I got tickets for both. So excited! On the Impossible Past is one of my most played albums ever according to last.fm. The album before it is pretty good as well. I can't actually say whether they are any good live as last time they were here it clashed with Nasum's last ever UK show.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Twee as gently caress posted:

Would you guys mind if I created an Emo sortamegathread as a spin-off from this thread?

It'd be specifically to discuss the 1987-1997 scene, bands like Dag Nasty, Moss Icon, Rites of Spring, Embrace, Hoover, Jawbreaker, Fugazi, Gray Matter, Fuel, Indian Summer, Julia, Heroin, etc...

You guys can keep all the modern stuff and the post-emo bands (Saves the Day, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, etc...). I've been reading through this thread and it seems to be hard to get a discussion going, and have it focused on that specific era/actual style.

I've started to write a mega-OP but I'd want both this thread to be in agreement and mod-greenlight before I posted it.

edit: On a related note, listen to Jawbreaker's Unfun for the first time in maybe two years. I got a bit burned out on JB for a while, but gently caress is that album as good as ever.

Although I dig emo, I'm not sure that creating a new thread for it will necessarily generate discussion if you couldn't get one going in this thread. It would make more sense to create one if this thread had become swamped with emo talk in my opinion. I don't actually know enough/anything about the first wave of emo bands to contribute anything meaningful to your hypothetical thread, as much as I like the music, unless I can ramble for several posts about how good Mineral's The Power of Failing is!

e: I am looking at going to Fluff Fest this year because the last couple of years have looked really good, however, I don't actually know that many of the bands so far. I am familiar with Downfall of Gaia, Marnost, Harm's Way, Dangers and Goodtime Boys, but is there anyone else from the first crop of bands that I should be listening to? I'm pretty sure a lot of the bigger names are still to come as last year they had PBTT, Code Orange Kids, Loma Prieta, Defeater & Weekend Nachos amongst others.

nomapple fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 3, 2013

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

a slime posted:

Fluff Fest is really awesome, it's great fun and the atmosphere is super friendly. I can say without reservation it's the best fest I've ever been to. I'm not sure how much weight you can put on the last.fm lineup, as they normally announce everything on their Facebook first, and they haven't yet posted anything but the logo.

One of my friends went last year and said the same thing. As for the lineup, they posted a link from a website that posted the first set of bands a while ago, and Marnost self confirmed on their website. I'm pretty sure they would've said something if a lot of what has been posted so far was unreliable. Unfortunately Comadre cancelled their euro tour so they are no longer on the bill (I assume).

I am really hoping that they book Ampere because I am not super into emo-violence or whatever you want to call the more abrasive screamo stuff, but I am loving the hell out of Like Shadows at the moment. (Yes, I have listened to Orchid, and whilst I like Gatefold, I don't like it as much as Ampere's stuff at the moment).

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Screamo recs:

June Paik (sorry if everyone already knows these guys, I kind of get confused as to what is known and loved and what isn't)
Esazlesa
Aussitot Mort (maybe more on the post-rock side of things, but still worth mentioning.
Tel Fyr//Todos Caer 12" split Coming soon and sounds very promising.

Sidenote: I am really enjoying the new Caravels album. It seems a lot more subdued than other screamo I've listened to. I can't really explain it, but they sound quite different to most of the other stuff I've listened to which is very firey and passionate. Given that these guys were recommended to me as "like PBTT but not as good", I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised.

e: Everything on Aussitot Mort's bandcamp is free right now, so if you have any gaps in your discography: GOGOGO!

nomapple fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 6, 2013

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

a slime posted:

Just saying, I got burned last year because Circle Takes the Square was on the last.fm page and they later announced they had no idea why and had no intentions of touring Europe any time soon :(

It would be sick if they booked Ampere again! See you there amigo :hfive:

Well it looks like CTTS will be at Fluff. I hope they've rebooked Code Orange Kids as well!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
RE: Fluff lineup: MARTYRDOD!!!!

Also the Code Orange Kids/TWIABPAIANATD/Tigers Jaw/Self Defence Family split is really good. Also, everyone listen to the Tel Fyr / Todos Caerán Split LP if you like the more "epic" variety or screamo. Although I hate the description of "progressive black metal influenced screamo", I won't lie, it sounds awesome.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

RYYSZLA posted:

Noob checking in, Me and my friend have been jamming this stuff for a little while, and Im not quite sure how to categorize it, so here's a link to a song on youtube (us jamming in a bedroom) and I was wondering if you all could give me some feedback on it. The "band"'s name is "Ryyszla", and this is by far the least heavy/noisy of all the stuff i've written - let me know what you think, and whether or not this is the right place for it (cos it sure aint metal?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiH8XRzUCDw

our main influence for the drummer is Suis La Lune, for me it's Wolves In The Throne Room, so I don't know what we were expecting to actually come out with. Hopefully it's not too shabby

I'm personally not a massive fan of the breakdown-y bit, but the rest of it was alright. It'd probably be a lot better with vocals as I'm sorry to say, it wasn't that interesting as an instrumental piece. I have no experience writing music but I'm sure you'll improve. Are you planning to add vocals at all? Also I dunno if this would be better off in the Musician's Lounge subforum?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

RYYSZLA posted:

Yeah the drummer hosed up the end so I improvised over the top and had it end, camera guy was recording on a samsung galaxy S2, and im on a 30watt amp. Shoulda mentioned poo poo sound quality beforehand eh? thanks for the feedback. Im actually working on getting a listenable version of this recorded, but it takes me forever to do things as that drummer is unreliable as gently caress and I can never be bothered to play them myself haha.

And yeah I've heard celeste are good, not listened to them myself, am a pretty big fan of stuff like We Came Out Like Tigers and This Gift Is A Curse though.

Make sure you check out Tel Fyr as well, they describe themselves as being influenced by progressive black metal although it is a bit more subtle than WCOLT. I'll add a link when I'm not on my phone, but I posted recently in this thread about their split with Todos Caeren and left a link so you might be able to find that. Also I assume you're listening to Deafheaven? I didn't think much of their first album but I saw them live the other night and I think Sunbather is going to be amazing. They have a similar sense of melody to Envy but play it in a black metal style so far as drums/vocals/guitar tone are concerned. It's like a black metal/screamo hybrid or a summery black metal album and I am really excited to hear the rest of it.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

seatbeltstrap posted:

It seems remiss to post this and not mention the new Full of Hell, "Rudiments Of Mutilation." It's loving brutal.

http://a389recordings.bandcamp.com/album/a389-127-full-of-hell-rudiments-of-mutilation-12-cd

Didn't even realise they had a new one out, thanks for sharing :)

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Kevar posted:

I called this as album of the year after seeing them play a handful of new songs a couple months ago. Good to see that I was dead on. I'm not a "variant" type of collector but I ordered 4 copies of it yesterday (all 3 colors for me and an extra of the Clear w/blue green for my girlfriend).

Looks like they sold almost 2/3 of the first pressing in a day. Good for those guys. Been seeing them play in basements for the past 3 years, hopefully they're about to finally get huge.

Yeah by the time I woke up there was only the clear/green haze left. Bummed out to say the least, but pleased for them at the same time. Steamed it on bandcamp last night and it rules. Will wait for Dog Knights to get copies in the UK though

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

fuckyoubitch posted:

I know its heresay by now but am I the only one that wants separate threads for punk, hardcore, metlacore and the like? This is the music forum why do we need a huge megathread of jumbled genres that aren't even the same sounding really.

I like metalcore and post hardcore stuff, cant stand sifting through punk rock and black death metal poo poo and I'm sure there's plenty more out there who feel the same.

There's a "metal" thread which mostly covers death/thrash/progressive/trad/power metal and variations of all the above, there's a black metal thread, a doom/stoner thread, this thread, and a metalcore/deathcore thread. I think any more division is just going to get silly. It's not like any of these threads are particularly fast moving.

On topic: Is anyone else excited about the new More than Life album, I saw an update recently that they've finished tracking drums, I think.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Coach booked from London to Prague for Fluff Fest! Really excited. Hope they announce some more bands soon. I'd really like to see Sed Non Satiata there.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Finally checked out the new Harm's Way EP, and it is hard. Really excited to see these guys at Fluff now. The EP is really heavy and the songs/riffs are really good. 20 minutes is the perfect length for a tough guy HxC release in my book. Can't wait to get annihilated by a straight edge vegan body builder who is 5x my size in the pit.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Well uh... that just sucked the fun out of Harm's Way for me.

In all seriousness, I agree with the quote you posted, the macho bs is ridiculous and we shouldn't be supporting sexist attitudes. I just wanted to enjoy some meaty metallic hardcore riffs, because that EP is really good. Did anything actually happen after that shitstorm where Fluff booked Defeater last year?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

a slime posted:

I didn't get to go last year but I saw a bunch of pictures of people with huge banners and stuff in the crowd. I was kind of bummed they ended up letting them play, but it's very cool that there was a dialogue about it and everything

Anyways I like Harm's Way, that EP is pretty sick. The macho stuff is boring and dumb, but at least it doesn't match the crowd at Fluff so it will still be fun. It's really cool that somebody made this Facebook page and nobody is talking them down like it's bullshit though. I don't think I've ever been part of a scene like that.

Well, they had quite a candid email exchange about it, which I think is good. I was happy with their decision to let them play in the end. I'm glad they got challenged on their statements and stuff though, like you said, it's great they had a dialogue about it. And yeah, your points RE: Harm's Way are good. I don't think anyone's taking them down yet though, because that page has all of 8 likes. The shitstorm about Defeater was all over the Fluff page.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Speewah posted:

Speaking of them, could anybody recommend similar bands to Code Orange Kids? I'm sorta weening myself into hardcore through a more sludgy direction because I never really listened to a lot of punk.

Check out Birds In Row, Bastions, Pariso and Oathbreaker.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

a slime posted:

Final lineup announcements for Fluff were this week, with a bunch of crazy good bands announced for the secondary stage, under a dinky tent that holds about two hundred people. Coke Bust, Violent Reaction, Sectarian Violence, Full of Hell and others. Gonna be sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTuXDl5nqvg

They also announced a queer party for Friday night featuring these guys. Straightedge hardcore all day and electroscum (?) all night~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsbeDIIiuX4

Coke Bust and Oathbreaker in the tent. I can't wait. I still need to check out Sectarian Violence, love their name.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Can I get some recommendations along the lines of joie de vivre and penfold and football etc, etc please. It's a lonely rear end summer.

Sport are good: http://sport.bandcamp.com/

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

This is fantastic and exactly what I wanted from them. The use of melody on this album is top notch. The last couple of songs seem reflective of the sound they went for on Gravity, Metaphorically, and given how much I loved that track, I'm really glad there's more of that style here. I'm also glad that they still have songs in their older style present as well, it's a great mix of the two IMO. I can't wait to hear this stuff live.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
The new Sed Non Satiata is great. It gets better every time I spin it as well. I used to brush them off as second rate Daitro, but the new album doesn't really make me think that.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Preordered the stupid vinyl edition instantly. I love this band far too much. I can't wait to hear this. I wonder whether the songs will be shorter, as it doesn't look like it's going to be a double album? I hope the songs and stories are just as rich and wonderful as ever. Also seeing them two nights in a row in London, and would get a ticket for the 3rd but I'm seeing NIN that night, so... The blue theme of the cover art will look all nice next to my copy of Is Survived By... too :D Not to be greedy or anything, but I hope we get some new PBTT soon as well. The Lack Long After is an amazing album, and Hiding was a great track.

Any other hardcore/screamo releases to look forward to this year? Would love it if we heard something from Envy in the not too distant future...

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I could probably listen to Daïtro- Laissez Vivre les Squelettes forever. That, or Funeral Diner- The Underdark. On a more emo note, I listened to Penfold- Amateurs & Professionals again today and man that album is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

rivals posted:

Swept Under > Underdark IMO. But yeah Laissez is easily Daitro's best release I think. gently caress I miss the mid 2000s.

I haven't actually heard any other Funeral Diner album. I'll get on that ASAP! I'm revisiting Converge's pre-Jane Doe stuff, which contains probably some of my favourite riffs of theirs. I love the stuff they did from Jane Doe onwards, but holy poo poo were they good at stupidly riff-y metalcore.