Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Ok, I just got an advance CDR of an upcoming Netjajev SS 7" on Rescued From Life Records. I don't think I'd be over exaggerating if I said that it's the greatest piece of music in the history of recorded sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

GAUZE. New album in a few months. Snort a can of coffee and get stoked.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

EvilRobot posted:

That is loving AWESOME! Do you have a link to the source of this news or is it just a rumor? What label is putting it out?

My Japanese friend Kazu from Osaka posted a bulliten on myspace this morning saying that they would be releasing a new album in a few months. Seems like a pretty reliable source to me. I assume it will just be on their own XXX Records.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Arson Equity posted:

Question, why do people like Cold World?

Because they're from Austria and sound like Heresy!

Oh, you mean the band on Lockin' Out? gently caress EM.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Goddamnit. First Kawakami/Disclose, then Chelsea/Paintbox, now Jakke from Kaaos has passed away. gently caress 2007.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Retro USHC bands are boring as gently caress. Discuss.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

If you do not own this record in one form or another, you are a loving poser.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

New GAUZE album is the best hardcore record to have come out within (at least) the past 5 years, easily. Better than your favorite band, better than my favorite band. Completely lives up to all expectations.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

DaLkO posted:

HOLY poo poo! New Gauze album!? Kao O Aratte Denaoshite Koi was really great, so I gotta hear this. I'm surprised they're still able to rule so hard.

So far it's just CD only and the label (XXX Records) doesn't do any overseas distribution, so it'll cost you full Japanese import price (~$30) for a 13 minute CD. Prank is trying to get them to do a vinyl version for overseas, so cross your fingers. Still, if you're a fan of hardcore, you should have stopped reading this post about halfway through and started licking that envelope shut already.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Your Weird Uncle posted:

please stop talking about stupid tech-grind and start talking about minor threat thanks in advance.

It's futile dude. This thread hasn't had much of anything to do with hardcore in ages.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

THE LUMMOX posted:

you are hard to please oh sky god. WEEKEND NACHOS isnt hardcore enough for you?

A few mentions of Weekend Nachos among many pages of emo/screamo discussion does not a hardcore thread make. It's not my fault that I'm trying to get people pumped about things like the new Gauze CD and they would rather discuss emo bands that won't be relevant in 6 months.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Inspector_71 posted:

I listened to that new Gauze album and it sounds like pretty much every other hardcore band I've ever heard, only the lyrics are in Japanese.

Ok, well now I'm just genuinely curious, what other hardcore bands have you heard? Cause I can only think of one or two bands that sound similar to Gauze (NK6 [who are roadies for Gauze], and maybe one other if I dig the depths of my brain).

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Inspector_71 posted:

Pretty much all hardcore sounds the same to me, playing fast and not very melodically. Not to say it's all bad, but much like Metalcore, I just don't think there's much difference between bands.

Ok, fair enough. I do think that hardcore is quite varied though. Speaking for myself only, I find it impossible to confuse a breakneck noisy thrash band like Wretched from Italy with a much more polished and metallic band like Death Side from Japan, both of whom many people would consider to fall under the hardcore banner, even though they sound quite different from each other (See! It doesn't all have to sound the same!). I can see what you're saying though because I think that many bands in some hardcore sub-genres/scenes (I'm looking at you retro '82 USHC) DO sound very much alike, and if someone wasn't familiar with hardcore on a worldwide scale (and the different sounds that many countries have), it could get tedious.

Oh, I see you edited too. To touch on that, I definetly think that there is room for boundry pushing (if there wasn't, something like modern "Burning Spirits" Japanese hardcore wouldn't exist and that would suck balls), but I also think that with too much experimentation it's possible to lose the point or completely move into another direction altogether.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Parachute Underwear posted:

If it breaks, it's my fault, not whoever is in charge of shipping. I guess it doesn't matter with CDs, but for vinyl, I always use online ordering as a last resort. Mostly since our local record shop usually will order for me anyway if I ask them to. :)

In the past 7 years I've mailordered at least 700 records. Only one of them ever arrived broken.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Mr. DNA posted:

Actually, what I'm hoping on finding is 7"s of these bands. I have the Minor Threat First Demo Tape 7". I want to get the Salad Days 7". My local record shop doesn't have much punk/hardcore that I recognize, but I might take another trip now that I'm aware of Embrace and Angry Samoans. I don't remember them having any of the other bands that were suggested.

Hope you have a couple hundred bucks to spare. You'll need it to get the first two Minor Threat 7"s.

Edit: HOLY gently caress, SYSTEMATIC DEATH IS PLAYING FOUR SHOWS IN THE USA WITH TRAGEDY IN MAY. MY DICK HAS EXPLODED FROM EXCITEMENT.

ChaosNonMusica fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 16, 2008

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Grigori Rasputin posted:

Got the tour schedule?

http://prankrecords.blogspot.com/2008/01/tragedy-systematic-death-us-shows.html

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Built for Brutality posted:

what is it with japanese bands coming out here and only playing 3 or 4 shows and then going home?

The reason I always hear is that most jobs in Japan allow very very little time off.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Built for Brutality posted:

I just get bummed when Japanese bands skip the west coast and go to the east coast. We are closer god dammit. I remember last time Total Fury played the west coast they flew out for 4 days and played just 3 shows and went back home. I think that Charm/U.G. Man tour was the longest tour of Japanese bands in the US I have seen in a long time.

I never understand people on the west coast who complain about stuff like this. As is my understanding, California has tons of great local bands that play all the time. Do you know what the last show I went to where I live (Michigan) was? Bloody Phoenix. That was in loving AUGUST. I mean, everyone wants to see Japanese bands, so that's really a moot point, but at least you guys have a decent local scene.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Agent Bob posted:

Breakfast came here, but we usually get good touring bands. So uh, yeah.

I'm not saying Japanese bands NEVER come here, but for someone who's local scene alone rivals the quantity of touring bands that come around here, for them to complain about a touring/foreign band skipping their area comes off to me as almost spoiled. California has bands like Strung Up, Deadfall, Capitalist Casualties, Born/Dead, Despise You, Lack Of Interest, California Love, etc etc. Detroit has the Bill Bondsmen. Yippie.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Agent Bob posted:

I'm on the East coast, so I was bolstering your argument.

Well then...thank you.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Grigori Rasputin posted:

Well... we do want to see Japanese bands too! Honestly I think there's a lot to be said about the smaller punk communities in the midwest - I'd rather be at a basement show than a bar any day, which is pretty much where you're going to see a band of any notoriety in California.

I did manage to see Witch Hunt in a really small living room my first weekend living here (in addition to seeing them in a club with the Subhumans two days prior) that was pretty ridiculous. House/DIY shows happen out here but not as much. Not complaining, but there are definitely recognizable perks to the smaller punk communities of the midwest.

I really like places on the East Coast like Philly/Baltimore/Richmond from what I've seen - very DIY/house oriented and crust-as-gently caress.

Speaking about Michigan alone: It sucks here. For example, going back to the Bloody Phoenix show I mentioned; The only reason it was a relative "sucess" was because my friends and I roped people we know, who have no interest in punk whatsoever, into coming out just so BP didn't have to play in front of 5 people. Not counting the opening bands (one of which I was in), there were maybe 25 people there. 20 of which had never heard of DIY punk, let alone BP, plus 5 punks. We promoted this show for months, and still no one gave a poo poo. It's not like BP is unknown either, I heard about other shows on their tour that were packed.

So basically my point is: smaller punk communities in the midwest are great, but non-existent communities is more like it, at least here.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Grigori Rasputin posted:

Hellnation is still around? I thought they stopped playing awhile back. I think a few members are in Brody's Militia now.

Also Disfear :cool:

Hellnation is definitely still around. They're doing a split LP with Capitalist Casualties this year (my dream record, *swoon*). Their old bass player Doug started Brody's Militia after he got married and quit Hellnation, but he's actually playing bass for them again now. My friend is setting up a show around the time of MDF, sort of a DIY alternative, and hopefully Hellnation will be playing that along with Phobia, Magrudergrind, XBRAINIAX, and more.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Agent Bob posted:

Does anyone hear like Terveet Kadet? I started listening to them again, and love them more now, for some reason.

Terveet Kadet loving rules! Their first three 7"s are total classics.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Ozean posted:

Alright, I need to get more into hardcore. Of the punk variety, if you catch my drift, but more modern stuff. Where should I get started?

If you want current stuff, check out these bands:

Gauze
See You In Hell
Direct Control
I Accuse
Reality Crisis
Uncurbed
Massgrav
Padlock
Hellnation
Besthoven
Forward

Those are all great current hardcore punk bands. Soulseek should help you out.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Sirius Sam posted:

straight edge vegan band

So how does one play "straight edge vegan" music? What does it sound like?

Seriously, I'm straight edge and I think what the guy did is hilarious. gently caress hardline/militant edge dickheads. I never got bands that say that they're "straight edge bands". Straight edge isn't a loving style of music.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

I DRANK MY MILK posted:

I think he means their ethics/message etc.

EC is a hardcore band in which all the members are straight edge and vegan.

I couldn't tell you about their music personally because I dont listen to them.

I know what he means. I just think it's stupid when bands called themselves straight edge bands, as if straight edge is a music style (it's not FYI). All of the members of my band are straight edge, but we're a hardcore band. We play hardcore, not straight edge.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

EvilRobot posted:

Somebody in here said this didn't exist.

I feel oddly vindicated.

ps the price has already gone up 10 dollars in the time it took me to post this.

Who said that didn't exist? I've known about it for years. It's not very good to be honest.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Not an Anthem posted:

Gas discography rules

gently caress yeah it does. I actually got the Japanese CD version that was released a few years prior to the Partners In Crime released LP, and it has an awesome video on it. Their singer's hair is loving crazy.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Geriatric Unit rules hard. Haven't heard Fix Me yet though.

In other news, I would reccommend the Syphilitic Vaginas (ex-Netjajev SS) pro-tape and 12" to everyone who mourns the loss of GISM on a daily basis. That is, I would reccommend them...but since they were limited to about 100 copies each, good luck finding them now.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

I got a copy of the Ghoul DVD today (which is loving great), but instead of the bonus Sqwad/Ghoul MCD that was supposed to come with it, my copy got mistakenly packaged with a CD of Gastunk's "Under The Sun". Kind of a bummer, but kind of cool at the same time because the Gastunk CD is pretty cool, and it would have cost me $25 if I bought it seperately. Let's hear it for factory screw ups and Japanese metal hardcore!

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Not an Anthem posted:

ChaosNonMusica, out of curiousity do you have the POW zines?

Unfortunately no. You can get scans of the 3rd issue here though:

http://www.divshare.com/download/2391346-97b

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Not an Anthem posted:

Not even good taste?

Chaos, are you on any other boards that talk punk shop? Furthermore do you know any good histories to read on ADK or japanese punk?

I post on the Profane Existence board too, but I'm not on any boards like WITBAWDTSL if that's what you mean. Here's some good Japanese reading:

http://veltedregnub.com/adkrecords (also has links to Selfish, Dogma, AA, and Political, Incest and D.I.S record labels)

http://poo poo-fi.com/Articles/JapaneseNoise/JapaneseNoiseCore.html

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

I didn't even make it to side B of the 1st Sex Vid 7". I think it was around that time that I realized USHC bores me to tears 95% of the time. Anyone wanna buy my copy of "Tania"?

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

If anyone is interested, I'm cleaning out my collection of some rarities. Everything is at least VG+ condition, most are EX or better.

BOMBANFALL 7" $75
SNOBB SLAKT 7" $35
FINAL WARNING 7" $35
V/A - FINAL NOISE ATTACK 7" $50
CROSSED OUT - Live 10" (NOT gently caress Grindcore 10") $25
LEBENDEN TOTEN - State Laughter LP $30
V/A - FINNISH DRUNKS PUNKS IS HIPPIES LP $30
ZOE - The Last Axe Beat LP $25
LAUKAUS 12" $25
ABRAHAM CROSS - Peace Can't Combine LP $25

Email if you're interested (my user name at gmail.com)

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Dillinger posted:

Since when is Murphy's Law a meathead band

Since forever?

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

answersyouseek posted:

If A Wilhelm Scream is the future of punk then I am the Queen of England.

The songs I listened to on their myspace sounded like bad 80's Japanese metal.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

rivals posted:

Anyone know where I can get Limp Wrist vinyl from distros other than the 7" from Cheap Art? I need some of this.

I'll sell you my LP and "What's Up With The Kids" 7" if you want.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

rivals posted:

Depends on how much you are looking to get for them? I don't know what they go for, which is why I was trying to find them in distro if possible.

I'll sell em for normal price. $8 for the LP and $3 for the 7". That's about how much I paid for them.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Isterismo debut 7" sold out the entire pressing within 2 hours. loving insane. I checked NAT Records website last night and nothing was listed, so I go and make some food and come back to find that within the 20 minutes I was gone, it got listed and had already sold out. gently caress. Then again, I'm not surprised a band that sounds like Wretched with the production vaules of Gloom and Framtid got snatched up that fast. Kinda reassures me that people still have good taste actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Not an Anthem posted:

Got the Syphilitic Vaginas repress, this is pretty funny/awesome for a GISM reference, sort of Randy Uchida Group reference too, everything is just changed to "night." Slept on their earlier stuff (split, tapes, 9" etc). Had no idea who it was and suspected it obviously wasn't japanese, real identity came as a surprise.

Chaos, you don't have extras of the Netjajev/Syphilitic split do you?

Just traded away my last extra. Sorry man. If it's any consolation, the SV stuff on that split sounds pretty different to what he's doing now.