Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

MattWPBS posted:

Oh, and this'll probably mean nothing to most people, and most of the rest'll probably hate them, but I just got back from seeing Carter USM's 10 year reunion gig at Brixton Academy. loving hell that was good.

What the gently caress, they're still together? What an awesome rock and roll band.

To note, I only have heard 1992: The Love Album but it is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Slackerish posted:

Just recently. And I have no idea what the other poster is talking about, there's not a song on the new album that I don't absolutely love.

Have they put it up on their site yet?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Wizard Mannequin posted:

I didn't know Rubella Ballet is still around, thats pretty awesome.

Now if only Steve Lake would get over his fear of flying/boats and bring Zounds t the states I could die happy.

I dunno, that EP they put in like 2004 or whatever kinda sucked.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Arson Equity posted:

They did sell some of their bigger hits to commercials and use the money to backstab the focus of the commercials (GM), which in my mind is pretty sweet. I still don't get why they went with dance music though, that completely baffles me.

I keep thinking about getting a conflict tattoo, but with all the drama since the no power/carlo records and the music videos (which I have to say were pretty wild) I kinda don't want to. I saw them live a few years back and they still rock.

I don't mind Chumba's new stuff since it's not like their ideology has changed or anything (plus I don't mind dance music :shobon: )

What's this about Conflict drama, though?

EDIT: Also so Henry Rollins talk tonight. He's a really funny and amiable dude, but he should stay away from preaching because his anecdotes are a lot better.

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 8, 2007

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Matt, what is the general opinion over in England (especially I guess amongst the '77 crowd) of American hardcore from the 80s? I ask because when I saw Henry Rollins talk he was talking about his experience lead singing for the Ruts farewell show and he thought it seemed that they thought he couldn't pull it off initially (obviously changed their minds afterwards).

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Capitan Dad posted:

I don't know if CRIME As Forgiven By Against Me! is folk punk at all really but it's on Plan-It-X and kicks rear end.

Yeah, that album rules but I wouldn't consider it folk punk at all.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Old Noise posted:

Have you heard anything pre-Eternal Cowboy? Yeah....

This is a confusing post on many levels. Did you even read his initial post regarding AM! where he cites Crimes, As Forgiven By...? I'm actually interested in your definition of folk-punk and why you believe any era AM! can be considered it.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Apparently Belle Epoque are playing here in Columbia in a few weeks. Are they worth checking out?

EDIT: This is not the band you are talking about I guess since they are from Texas.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Not to continue beating a dead horse, but Against Me! have officially entered self-parody:

quote:

The recently announced Foo Fighters winter tour will feature none other than Gainesville, FL upstarts Against Me! in the opening slot.

All arena shows.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

That Brutal Knights EP is pretty sweet. Hope they make it around St. Louis sometime.

Additionally, Andrew Jackson Jihad is loving awesome.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

maydae posted:

Four Year Strong has members of Verse in it.
Thats hardcore.
And Bayside's okay, plus their drummer died.
They can stay for sympathy.

It's good to know we'll have the crews on our side in the Genre War II, then.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

THE LUMMOX posted:

15 euros is more like 30 dollars. I want that record really bad but its hard to justify...especially when theres so much other things I want that are already stateside and a lot cheaper.

No that'd be 15 pounds. The Euro is at like 1.44:1 or something.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

walkingistillhonest posted:

Is anyone going to Lemuria's record release tonight in NY? I am stuck in Richmond but I pre-ordered the LP, it should be coming soon!

Punknews is streaming it on their site and it sounds pretty solid thus far.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

COCKISPOISON posted:

So you are going?

This year, so far, I have plans/plane tickets for:

Threat Fest in LA Feb 22nd/23rd (Mostly to see Resist & Exist one last time and hang out with my friends in Doomsday Hour. The rest of the lineup I'm not excited about at all so I'll probably skip the second day to go surfing and party. I'll probably have to wear a gasmask so as not to pass out from the smell of all the crusties)

I thought they broke up for good like a year or two ago?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Grigori Rasputin posted:

i'm stuck listening to everything but the girl and some synth-pop song about doing cocaine on woxy plz send help

Uh, just want to say that Everything But The Girl rules :mad:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

RagingPawn posted:

Right, opinions please.

Against Me! are playing here in the UK in April, they are headling the Corp in Sheffield, which I've been told is a pretty small venue. Now, do I get tickets or not? Are they likely to play alot of New Wave crap, or will they stick to the older material?

When I saw them in November 2005, all they played was their new crap and a couple songs off Axl Rose. Absolutely nothing before then and I imagine it's only gotten worse with them having a new album out.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Parachute Underwear posted:

I dunno if any of you guys are gamers, but Grand Theft Auto IV will feature a hardcore radio station, and this is what it'll have so far:

These are the known ones. Looks decent enough. :shobon:

I really hope they limit the meathead NYHC. I cannot stand Murphy's Law.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Grigori Rasputin posted:

I can't believe you guys are taking issue with the quantity of "meathead hardcore" that's going to be in a videogame. Can someone draw me a venn diagram of where meathead, toughguy and basketball-jersey hardcore all intersect? Sometimes I get get my subgenres mixed up.

It's pretty much all the same poo poo to me. And I take issue with it because if the one punk/hardcore/whatever station in that game is just gonna have a bunch of that then I'll be disappointed since I won't listen to it.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Not an Anthem posted:

Agh! Terrible. If you're into Out With A Bang, Allessandro's now in the Flying Tricechos. Dunno who else is in it but I really need to find time to drive out and see them.

Listening to Acrostix's (A Chain of) Hatred, picked up a handful of records with some major bummers (Germ Attack's Ouroborus) and some really great stuff (Kansanturbamusiikkikomissio 666). Zero Boys playing soon!

Wait, are the Zero Boys touring?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Triangulum posted:

The Queers are headlining the Asian Man Records Tour! I'm going to see them at the Casbah on monday, I can't freaking wait!

That tour is going to be pretty nuts. Bomb The Music Industry!, the Queers, Lemuria, Andrew Jackson Jihad? For 12 bucks? Yes please.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

New Street Dogs is really disappointing. I think only FateoMcSkippy cares, though.

I checked out AJJ's most recent release and while it's slower, I like it nonetheless.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

acup posted:

My question to you is why would you brag about being "an enthusiastic drug addict"? Why would you brag about something so negative?

quote:

As an enthusiastic motorcyclist I find it somewhat baffling that people ride scooters or make a lifestyle of it. Please explain why anyone would choose an interest other than mine.

Would you mind me asking what the motivation for collecting CDs is? As an enthusiastic vinyl junkie, I find it somewhat baffling, especially making a lifestyle out of it.

I like X, you like Y, WHY AREN'T WE THE SAME!

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Triangulum posted:

I'm going to see Resist and Exist at the Che this weekend. Never heard 'em before but it looks fun and it's $5. Anyone seen them before? Also, sorry about the sXe derail, I wasn't trying to insult anyone's lifestyle or say I was more awesome because I like drugs. v:)v

What the gently caress? How many times are these guys going to be done for good?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Grigori Rasputin posted:

Richard Hell's Blank Generation

I've looked around, but do you have any suggestions for albums similar to this?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

This Is My Fist! is one of my favorite female fronted bands (don't tell anyone I like Lemuria :ssh: ). NotAnAnthem, are they still together (I think they're from Chicago or something)?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Inspector_71 posted:

Oh also I think that Hiretsukan is the best female-vocals hardcore/punk whatever band ever. Ever.

You misspelled Poison Girls, dude.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

So it appears that Morning Glory have reformed and are touring the west coast soon. They also have a new album coming out. I am pretty stoked because they were by far my favorite of the Crack Rocksteady 7 bands and Ezra isn't a huge tool like Stza.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Not an Anthem posted:

Please watch out for the "Weekend Nachos" tour right now though, their roadie is a registered Indiana sex offender.

What do you mean by this?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Not an Anthem posted:

Interesting response, one I didn't anticipate. Statutory rape is morally higher ground than pedophilia? The latter includes in many states people in longstanding relationships not even engaging in actual sex when only a few years apart.

No, he's about as un-PC as they come, in a really innocent way. I love him to death. When I first met him he played my house with Get It Away and kept asking me where he can find a project girl, because he has problems getting girlfriends and he heard project girls are easy. He didn't know it referred to the projects aka public housing/HUD/section 8 etc. I love him, but he hangs out with some real retards (incl. me). He isn't aware of the problem with his roadie though.

Their roadie is wanted in Indiana.

How do you know this but he doesn't?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Holy poo poo I just checked out Annihilation Time. loving insane. Their description on Last.fm is pretty apt: "Sounds Like : 'Your mother puking after you've forced her at knife point to eat the feces of a 43 year old retarded homeless man (the knife, by the way, says "blood and honor" in German on it but dont ask us where it came from). Meanwhile someone is listening to a cummed-on copy of Deep Purple "In Rock" at 45 rpms at a volume thats way too loud.…"

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

this is hardcore:

https://www.myspace.com/gatesofacheron

Why was there a guy burping into a microphone?

Also, any band that has a dude in the marines probably sucks, as a rule.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Triangulum posted:

Ok well whatever you want to call skinny little fuckers with bad haircuts crying about their girlfriends.

On a related note, what the hell is with MC Chris, Katy Perry, and MIA doing playing warped? MIA's kind of cool but only when you're in a gay bar. Man do I ever hate Katy Perry.

I was under the impression MIA wasn't touring anymore.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Ironic war criminal posted:

http://www.punknews.org/article/30901

:woop::woop::woop::woop::woop:

Edit: Regarding Phantoms on the Horizon, wow didn't think that would ever actually happen.

This poo poo's supposed to have been coming out for the past year. If it actually comes out in a couple months I'll be surprised.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I used to be way into Oi, but I'm kind of over it now. I'll listen to Cock Sparrer now and then, but not out of any huge desire to do it.

Also, against my better judgment, I've decided to get tickets to the Murphys show tomorrow night for one last go. I hope it doesn't suck.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

How are you billed as a band from 1980s and have it be your 1st and last gig?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I would sure love a new Brutal Knights album!

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I used to be into Oi but not anymore. I guess it says a lot about CS that they're the only Oi band I listen to anymore.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

DRD posted:

Two songs from the new Propagandhi album, "Dear Coach’s Corner" and "Human(e) Meat" are out there. Both are really good, they have the same kind of sound as they had on Potemkin City Limits. I'm really excited for this release.

This album was supposed to be out like a year ago. I wonder if it'll come out before winter.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Whoa I didn't even know the Zero Boys were still kicking around. Wish I lived closer, I'd probably go to one of the days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Well, it looks like Against Me! continues to lose whatever shred of credibility they had, making Plan-It-X stop issuing their Crimes as Forgiven By EP so they can reissue it themselves, except it doesn't have Burn on it. Here's what Chris from PIX has to say:

quote:

hey.
okay, so you know that against me asked me to stop repressing the crime EP right? i would just like to clear up a few things. they never order me to stop repressing it. there was no threat of legal action or anything. they just asked me to stop...

they gave me 3 reasons.

1. they never knew the status of the release, if it was in print or not etc?
2. they didn't like the packaging.
3. they thought it cost too much in the no idea catalog.

i wrote back and addressed these three issues:

1. it has been in print since day one. it has never gone out of print. everytime i repressed it i sent them 200 more free copies. they have my email and phone number and could check the "status" at anytime.

i said i would be more than glad to give them reports on this.

2. i allow bands to have any type of packaging they want. the first pressing was in a case. when the 2nd pressing came up i was in gainesville and i ask tom if there was anything he wanted to change, we agreed that the sleeve/bag package would be better since it would make more room in the van.

i said we could change it back to anything they want

3. the no idea CD-EP is cheaper in the no idea catalog because no idea released it. it makes sense, i sell the crime ep to them for 3.50. since PIX sells all it's cds for 5 or 3.50 wholesale or 2.50 to bands, i can't afford to have lower prices for EPs. normal record labels can do that. no idea makes enough money off of their full length CDs to sell eps cheap and to sell LPs. that plan doesn't work for PIX. cheap cds limit what we can do.

there was nothing i could do about this.

so i told them that i really wanted to continue to release the CD. and i told them that it meant a lot to me to have it on plan-it-x and that i really loved the songs (i do). i told them that i really did not want to quit repressing it. i told them i did not agree with their complaints and that i would also do anything i could to make them happy and keep the release. i also told them the decision is theirs since i DO NOT own the music. they do.

i didn't get a response for a few months, then jordan wrote me and told me that they had repressed it already.

needless to say this hurts my feelings.
this is the first time a band has ever done anything like this to me.

i love the record and the music and it means a lot to me.

i don't really understand the argument that they just really want to release their own records and be DIY since they have a lot of releases on other labels and don't seem to be taking any of them back.

if they did take back all their releases and start only releasing their own records i would have great respect for them. but in this case it's hard not to take it personally. i think they dislike the rift that has grown between them and the DIY punks and somehow they think i am a part of it.

i don't really understand. i am hurt.

it took me a while to think of what to say about this.
i didn't want to say anything really but at every show kids ask me.
i hear kids saying dumb stuff about against me, taking be to court, or ordering me to stop repressing the CD.

it wasn't like that. but it was sad regardless.

i love the crime ep and i love the people in against me. let that be known.

this is not a complaint, this is just information.

i hope no one from against me takes it the wrong way.

i just wanted to explain this deal to the kids.

i still have about 300 crime eps and will sell them until they run out. the new pressing on sabot does not have the song: BURN BURN BURN. so if you want that song, get the CD before it's gone. i'm sending 200 to no idea soon, and will sell the last 100 myself.

please stop asking me questions about agianst me.
they (by their choice) are no longer a part of the PIX family.

i miss them.

-chris

I know it's kind of like a broken record now, but they were one of the first bands I got into whenever they were dropping releases like Crimes and their Vivada Vis demo tape so I still keep up with whatever news is surrounding them.