Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Khablam posted:

Hi thread

I'm finally making a post to recommend this book - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tonight-Its-World-We-Bury/dp/1914420365
I picked it up from my local metal record shop and, despite seemingly flying under the radar of the larger book world, it is fantastic.

The look inside should give you an idea of what the book is about, which is a history of black metal from a lefty perspective.

I'm halfway through the book and I've earmarked 2 dozen pages.

basically every single attempt to write theory about black metal has been laughable and this looks no different. and lol @ the list of recommended albums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

LMAO this was on the you may also like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Melancolog...780991894&psc=1

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

olives black posted:

Categorized as raw but the recording's too clean for that imo. Still really like it though

https://youtu.be/voHDAncfG1k

This rips

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

A human heart posted:

basically every single attempt to write theory about black metal has been laughable and this looks no different. and lol @ the list of recommended albums

I really don't know why people keep trying. It doesn't seem that people feel the need to do this with death metal or whatever.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

deadking posted:

I really don't know why people keep trying. It doesn't seem that people feel the need to do this with death metal or whatever.

It’s because black metal is full of nerds

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

deadking posted:

i think it is more likely to come up with black metal because black metal is much more ideological than death metal and so there is a lot more extra musical things to talk about. most of these half baked theory guys are not really writing about the music itself so much. although of course the first people to ramble incoherently about metal and philosophy were the anus.com boys, who did talk a lot about death metal and the music itself, even though it was mainly word salad.

A human heart fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 25, 2023

DangerousSmells
Jan 3, 2021
Man, anus.com, what a throwback.

mnlr
May 31, 2006

Over the past couple months I’ve become curious about black metal, having never really explored the genre before. I’ve been doing some research and working my way through the canon to try and get a feel for what it’s all about. Here’s what I’ve checked out so far and what I thought of it:

Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas - I really like this. At purely the riff level it might be my favourite album on this list, tons of great, surprisingly catchy riffs. Also I really like Attila’s style, I was already familiar with him from Sunn O))) but it was cool hearing him over something more energetic. Overall though something about this album just doesn’t quite hang all the way together for me. I find my attention wandering at certain points and I feel like even after multiple listens there are songs that just don’t click. Still a pretty solid 8.

Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark - Took some time to grow on me because it’s so raw, but I eventually came around to it. I love how much mileage they get out of one or two really simple riffs. I could listen to the main riff from Enter the Eternal Fire for another ten minutes easy. Woman Of Dark Desires gets stuck in my head all the time too.

Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse - Wtf this is the greatest thing I’ve ever heard lol. I love this so much. This blows me all the way back in my chair like Beavis and Butthead. How has this album existed for 28 years and I’ve never heard it before. God if I had discovered this at 16 my whole life might have turned out different.

Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk - I actually checked this out before In The Nightside Eclipse and wasn’t super impressed. Having gone back now with the added context that these are the same guys who made that masterpiece, I definitely like it more, although it still feels like the much weaker album of the two. I don’t know. I need to spend more time with it. It’s clearly a complex piece of work and I haven’t given it time to all the way sink in yet.

Dissection - Storm of the Light’s Bane - I was relieved to see some discussion earlier in this thread about the ethical quandary of liking these guys. I felt like I was going crazy seeing this album pop up on every GOAT list with seemingly no acknowledgment of the elephant in the room, the fact that the main guy spent time in prison for a homophobic murder. That to me seems like a really big deal and makes me super uncomfortable with enjoying what otherwise appears to be a 10/10 metal album. These songs are so imaginative and so meticulously composed, and the musicianship is so disciplined, it’s just exhilarating to listen to. It blows my mind that such smart music can be made by such dumb people sometimes.

One complaint about the music itself, they overuse that one trope of having the song drop to just acoustic guitars for a few bars and then having everything come ripping back. It kicks rear end every time they do it, but they do it an awful lot.

Also, I understand that these guys aren’t true black metal and that they’re considered to have elements of melodic death metal or something to that effect? I don’t understand the genre well enough to really know what that means yet.

Darkthrone - A Blaze In The Northern Sky - Another album which apparently contains death metal elements, see my above comment about not understanding the genre well enough yet. Either way, this is not grabbing me at all and is easily my least favourite album on this list. I find the vocals really offputting, and hardly any of the riffs really stay with me. In the Shadow of the Horns is cool enough, and there’s a neat part toward the end of Paragon Belial that I really like, but overall I’m finding this pretty boring.

Darkthrone - Under A Funeral Moon - This is a little more like it. Right away there are way more great riffs jumping out at me than on the last one. But I do not do not do not like this vocalist. He sounds like he’s doing a creepy voice to scare his nephews. Compare to the dude from Emperor shrieking actual bloody murder. Vocals aside though, this strikes me as a huge leap forward for this band compared to their previous album, and bonus points for being the only other album on this list besides Mayhem to not open with some type of ambient interlude.

Overall what I’ve checked out so far has really got me interested and I’m excited to continue digging further. Recommendations are welcome, right now I’m mainly looking for stuff that’s considered historically relevant to the genre, or just anything that you’d say is the absolute best of the best.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Of the best of the best, bear in mind I’m a tremendous Blut Aus Nord fan, there’s more than a large handful of incredible albums by them. Hallucinogen is completely out of left field for them and it’s amazing. It’s psychedelic black metal esque sort of stuff. The Work Which Transforms God is one of their best of the industrial black metal era. The Memoria Vetusta series are all great.

Deathspell Omega spark controversy no doubt, however they have released some of the most important modern black metal albums. I think their newest album The Long Defeat is my favorite as it’s the most approachable.

Mgła also are a questionable bunch to put it lightly. Their recent works have catapulted them to the spotlight. Exercises in Futility is really good.

Leviathan is a USA black metal band and Scar Sighted is his most acclaimed album. Goons really like it, but Leviathan is also marred with controversy.

Sarcófago from Brazil are legends. INRI is a monster classic album that needs to be listened to more often by everyone.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the best rule for listening to and enjoying black metal is to find out as little about the musicians and their personal lives, political views and activities, etc, as possible

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

mnlr posted:

just anything that you’d say is the absolute best of the best.

anything Obsequiae has put out, but in particular their last one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vceba5WYF3g

best guitar tone in the business

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

lobster shirt posted:

the best rule for listening to and enjoying black metal is to find out as little about the musicians and their personal lives, political views and activities, etc, as possible

Also just don't even bother with bands from eastern Europe, particularly Poland or Ukraine if they present an ethical dilemma for you. Or a lot of French acts. Dissection is an interesting example because Nodtveidt actually carried out a heinous crime rather than just being a bigot but he's also dead so you're not really supporting anything with his music.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also just don't even bother with bands from eastern Europe, particularly Poland or Ukraine if they present an ethical dilemma for you. Or a lot of French acts. Dissection is an interesting example because Nodtveidt actually carried out a heinous crime rather than just being a bigot but he's also dead so you're not really supporting anything with his music.

in his defense he did kill a homophobe too

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

lobster shirt posted:

there was at one time supposed to be a tradition of black metal artists adopting pseudonyms and staying underground but at a certain point a lot of them just can't help themselves

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

lobster shirt posted:

Getting a shirt or patch probably aren't great ideas either.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Henchman of Santa posted:

if you like Storm of the Lights Bane era dissection and want more, there's always Thulcandra. They're a side project from Stefan from Obscura

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YjeKWZtOOo

But my favorite kind of black metal is incredibly removed from traditional black metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSriUwFKHBE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzK0fp1ZJ18

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

mnlr posted:

Over the past couple months I’ve become curious about black metal, having never really explored the genre before. I’ve been doing some research and working my way through the canon to try and get a feel for what it’s all about. Here’s what I’ve checked out so far and what I thought of it:

Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas - I really like this. At purely the riff level it might be my favourite album on this list, tons of great, surprisingly catchy riffs. Also I really like Attila’s style, I was already familiar with him from Sunn O))) but it was cool hearing him over something more energetic. Overall though something about this album just doesn’t quite hang all the way together for me. I find my attention wandering at certain points and I feel like even after multiple listens there are songs that just don’t click. Still a pretty solid 8.

Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark - Took some time to grow on me because it’s so raw, but I eventually came around to it. I love how much mileage they get out of one or two really simple riffs. I could listen to the main riff from Enter the Eternal Fire for another ten minutes easy. Woman Of Dark Desires gets stuck in my head all the time too.

Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse - Wtf this is the greatest thing I’ve ever heard lol. I love this so much. This blows me all the way back in my chair like Beavis and Butthead. How has this album existed for 28 years and I’ve never heard it before. God if I had discovered this at 16 my whole life might have turned out different.

Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk - I actually checked this out before In The Nightside Eclipse and wasn’t super impressed. Having gone back now with the added context that these are the same guys who made that masterpiece, I definitely like it more, although it still feels like the much weaker album of the two. I don’t know. I need to spend more time with it. It’s clearly a complex piece of work and I haven’t given it time to all the way sink in yet.

Dissection - Storm of the Light’s Bane - I was relieved to see some discussion earlier in this thread about the ethical quandary of liking these guys. I felt like I was going crazy seeing this album pop up on every GOAT list with seemingly no acknowledgment of the elephant in the room, the fact that the main guy spent time in prison for a homophobic murder. That to me seems like a really big deal and makes me super uncomfortable with enjoying what otherwise appears to be a 10/10 metal album. These songs are so imaginative and so meticulously composed, and the musicianship is so disciplined, it’s just exhilarating to listen to. It blows my mind that such smart music can be made by such dumb people sometimes.

One complaint about the music itself, they overuse that one trope of having the song drop to just acoustic guitars for a few bars and then having everything come ripping back. It kicks rear end every time they do it, but they do it an awful lot.

Also, I understand that these guys aren’t true black metal and that they’re considered to have elements of melodic death metal or something to that effect? I don’t understand the genre well enough to really know what that means yet.

Darkthrone - A Blaze In The Northern Sky - Another album which apparently contains death metal elements, see my above comment about not understanding the genre well enough yet. Either way, this is not grabbing me at all and is easily my least favourite album on this list. I find the vocals really offputting, and hardly any of the riffs really stay with me. In the Shadow of the Horns is cool enough, and there’s a neat part toward the end of Paragon Belial that I really like, but overall I’m finding this pretty boring.

Darkthrone - Under A Funeral Moon - This is a little more like it. Right away there are way more great riffs jumping out at me than on the last one. But I do not do not do not like this vocalist. He sounds like he’s doing a creepy voice to scare his nephews. Compare to the dude from Emperor shrieking actual bloody murder. Vocals aside though, this strikes me as a huge leap forward for this band compared to their previous album, and bonus points for being the only other album on this list besides Mayhem to not open with some type of ambient interlude.

Overall what I’ve checked out so far has really got me interested and I’m excited to continue digging further. Recommendations are welcome, right now I’m mainly looking for stuff that’s considered historically relevant to the genre, or just anything that you’d say is the absolute best of the best.

Immortal

edit, Also if you like Darkthrone's sound but you don't like Culto's voice then you might like early Burzum.

Mike Arthur McVein fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 26, 2023

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

mnlr posted:

Check out Mayhem's Live in Leipzig recording, it's got many of the same songs but has Dead on vocals and they play them all at like 75% speed because they're wasted. I'm also an attilla apologist and love his vocals but it's really cool hearing different takes on the same songs.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Mike Arthur McVein posted:

Immortal

edit, Also if you like Darkthrone's sound but you don't like Culto's voice then you might like early Burzum.

Bear in mind that Varg Vikernes (the Burzum guy) is a notorious piece of poo poo (murderer, racist, etc etc) and it's best not to mention Burzum at all in a lot of circles. But yeah, I'd be lying if I said that he didn't make some great stuff in his prime. The song "Dunkelheit" from the album Filosofem is the Smoke On The Water of black metal.

mnlr
May 31, 2006

Thanks for the recommendations everybody! Immortal was already on my list so I’ll probably move on to them next, along with finishing off Emperor’s discography since it appears to be only four albums and so far I’m loving their first two.

On the subject of guys like Varg and Nödtveidt, it definitely presents an ethical dilemma for me, but I haven’t all the way made up my mind about what that means in a practical sense - do I refuse to listen to their music outright? Do I still allow myself to listen but just feel icky about it? Also I’m aware that I don’t apply it consistently, I listen to tons of hip-hop which has no shortage of terrible people with repugnant beliefs and behaviours, and I pretty much look the other way on most of that stuff unless they’re shilling crypto or something. Maybe it’s a racial/cultural thing? i.e. rap is “none of my business”, but as a white guy with Eastern European ancestry I feel the need to be a little more conscientious in how I engage with black metal? I don’t know exactly.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Has anyone caught Enslaved on their current NA tour? Longtime fan and I've never seen them live. Curious...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mnlr posted:

Thanks for the recommendations everybody! Immortal was already on my list so I’ll probably move on to them next, along with finishing off Emperor’s discography since it appears to be only four albums and so far I’m loving their first two.

On the subject of guys like Varg and Nödtveidt, it definitely presents an ethical dilemma for me, but I haven’t all the way made up my mind about what that means in a practical sense - do I refuse to listen to their music outright? Do I still allow myself to listen but just feel icky about it? Also I’m aware that I don’t apply it consistently, I listen to tons of hip-hop which has no shortage of terrible people with repugnant beliefs and behaviours, and I pretty much look the other way on most of that stuff unless they’re shilling crypto or something. Maybe it’s a racial/cultural thing? i.e. rap is “none of my business”, but as a white guy with Eastern European ancestry I feel the need to be a little more conscientious in how I engage with black metal? I don’t know exactly.

It is truly up to you and your own conscience. “Don’t pay money to Nazis” is an easy standard to set, but piracy vs. streaming vs. complete avoidance is very much a personal choice that makes no real difference. There are also a ton of black metal bands with good or at least not-terrible politics out there, and unfortunately many of them are boring and get attention because many lefties want stuff to listen to guilt-free. But some of them are actually really cool! I like Panopticon (labor- and environment-focused dude from Kentucky who puts union song in the middle of his albums), Dawn Ray’d (British anarchists) and Pure Wrath (Indonesian guy paying tribute to victims of genocide) for example.

If right now you’re still trying to get a grasp on the genre and its history I get the urge to listen to Hvis lyset tar oss or Filosofem at least once, but also…they’re not that great tbh.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The last mare cognitim album was a warning about climate change and fascism :)

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

mnlr posted:

listen to stuff from the old czech, greek, french, finnish and south american scenes. listen to first wave bands as well. don't take the advice of people who only talk about norway because they're know nothing dumbasses. don't bother listening to current bands until you've got a grasp of the classics because most new bands aren't very good anyway. absolutely ignore the advice of the guy who recommended deathspell omega. remember that only death is real

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

oh also you will find 'death metal elements' in plenty of black metal because there's not a solid boundary between the two, a lot of black metal bands are defined more by image and ideology than sound and plenty of them play music that is not very far removed from death metal. you will find thrash elements in some bands too for the same reasons.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

A human heart posted:

oh also you will find 'death metal elements' in plenty of black metal because there's not a solid boundary between the two, a lot of black metal bands are defined more by image and ideology than sound and plenty of them play music that is not very far removed from death metal. you will find thrash elements in some bands too for the same reasons.

This. See also: grindcore and punk. Black metal is a gloriously amorphous genre.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I've been listening to the Sol an Varma album today and drat is it good. Also recently picked up Sulphur Aeon as well.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

mnlr posted:

Dissection - Storm of the Light’s Bane - I was relieved to see some discussion earlier in this thread about the ethical quandary of liking these guys.

You're aware tbat the Emperor drummer also killed someone?

mnlr
May 31, 2006

polynominal-c posted:

You're aware tbat the Emperor drummer also killed someone?

Yeah. I’ll be the first to admit that I do not have a robust moral framework in place for addressing these issues. But to try and articulate what I see as the difference: with Dissection we’re talking about the singer/lead guitarist/primary songwriter, in other words the main guy, the person whose art I am validating by listening to and appreciating the music. In the case of Emperor, there is someone else who is the creative visionary behind the band, with Faust effectively serving as hired help. So I guess it makes the music itself feel less complicit. It’s like watching a movie where the director killed someone vs. where one of the supporting actors did.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sure but Ihsahn still brought the guy back on board, and also thinks he looks cool in his stupid sunglasses.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
The worst crime anyone in Emperor committed is all the music they released after Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

just listen to whatever music you like on bootleg youtube channels so you dont have to constantly worry about supporting a bad person and then if you like a band and wanna support them buy some merch or a direct digital copy of the album you like

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Just dropping in to say that I really like the way that Quorthon's voice sounds on the early Bathory albums. It's so delightfully wicked.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

olives black posted:

Just dropping in to say that I really like the way that Quorthon's voice sounds on the early Bathory albums. It's so delightfully wicked.

Everything about those albums is loving amazing.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1lTpiASMJ8

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
New (to me, released in April) Hoplites album rips pretty hard. Seems they're balancing out the math-y technical Serpent Colum/Deathspell stuff with more straight-ahead thrash influences, big fan of the album closer:

https://hoplites.bandcamp.com/album/--3

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKAiL2r_bzQ

I just love the band name, the music is OK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOoGuzzBqeo

Wee fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 16, 2023

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021
Love the vampire style right now, can you guys recommend me similar music to Glemt, Sanguine Relic, Valac?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWgZUDTgaLI
https://glemt.bandcamp.com/track/the-moon-weeps-blood-and-bestows-the-truth-i-seek

Also of you like Celestial Sword or Coniferous Myst, together they made some experimental RAW BM with really really great vocals
https://lostarmor.bandcamp.com/album/demo-i-foulest-avidity-ov-greed

caspergers fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 31, 2023

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
The Les Legions Noires bands are sort of the progenitors of that style so those bands if you haven't checked them out yet. Mutiilation and Vlad Tepes are my favorite of those.

For more recent bands off the top of my head I would suggest Obskuritatem, Sulphuric Night, Orgy of Carrion, earlier Lamp of Murmuur records, Lampir, and Hand of Glory. Also Black Cilice isn't really a "vampire" band but is probably the best currently active raw black metal project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Belketre was the best of those LLN bands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHTeKWmMM6Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rjFuw9t3sU
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Blasphemous/12286

Wee fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 1, 2023