Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toastmaker
Jul 12, 2004

crazy as a fish with titties
Important piece of information about the ukulele: it's pronounced "oo-koo-lay-lee." So the thread title should read "Why YOU should get an ukulele." :hawaiian101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toastmaker
Jul 12, 2004

NattyBumppo posted:

No, in Hawaiian it's pronounced more like "oo-koo-lay-lay." (Your last syllable is wrong.) But people in most of the English-speaking world don't pronounce the name of the instrument that way. Where do you get off acting like a pronunciation authority anyway?

Just because it's accepted doesn't mean it's correct. People say "kwess-a-dilla" for "quesadilla," but that doesn't make it proper. Why did you have to bring confrontation into this? I was throwing in a happy little tidbit in a happy little ukulele thread.

Toastmaker
Jul 12, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Playing the theme song from "Arrested Development" is by far the best reason to acquire a ukelele.

What are the chords for that? I've tried to figure it out a few times but never got it.

Toastmaker
Jul 12, 2004

Whitefish posted:

How do you play an E major? My fingers won't work that way!! I can't get a good sound out of the three top strings without messing up my bottom string.

Took me forever to get this. My first few years of playing I just used my thumb but when I realized how hosed up I was doing it and how much more difficult it made it in the long run, I forced myself to play it properly. It's just one of those things that only repetition is going to help.

Toastmaker
Jul 12, 2004

NattyBumppo posted:

I just wanted to post that I just came back from a rockin' Jake Shimabukuro concert in New York City! It was simply amazing- honestly one of the most moving shows I've ever been to.

Afterwards my girlfriend and I got to meet Jake and talk to him for a bit, and even get him to sign our albums and DVD. Now I feel more inspired than ever to improve my own uke skills! :keke:

Hey, I was at that same show. My friend and I were the last fans to talk to Jake (I know him so he just told me to hang out at our table and he'd be over afterwards). It was an amazing show as always. Best guy ever. Here's a video of his encore of Orange World that I took:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IQEJgk5ojU8

Sidenote: That's a really cool venue, the staff was all really nice and the ambience was neat. The $10 minimum kidna sucked though.

Also the guy who opened for him was almost Jake-like on the cello. Not quite though.

• Locked thread