Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I got a bit of an odd question. I had an injury to my left hand few years ago. My pinky and ring fingers were crushed (the pinky acually was crushed off, but reattached). So now they are a bit weak and very sensitive. I tried to learn guitar, but it was just too painful. I couldn't muster up the pressure in my pinky.

Would a uke or banjo be easier for me? Is it possibe to play without your pinky finger at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I can't believe I am seriously thinking of buying one of these to learn on. I don't even play an instrument. I love/hate Something Awful.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Interesting question. Uke would be easier than banjo, due to shorter scale and (generally) less melodic work vs. chording.

Since I read your post, I went home and tried 2-finger chords. I can play all the common major chords except Bb, and most of the minor chords. I'd say you'll be slightly limited, but should have no trouble working around that limitation. That challenge might actually make it rather interesting. Might want to start on a soprano just to minimize and reach issues.

Are you familiar with Django Reinhardt, the famous Gypsy Jazz guitarist? His left ring and pinky fingers were paralyzed due to burns from a housefire, and it didn't seem to hold him back too much: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Django_Reinhardt

Django playing with half-paralyzed hand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6nkHJQnEPs

Thanks for this! I can use my ring finger pretty well, I'd say it's 80%. The pinky is just there for show. Hell, I may give this a try! those videos were great.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I posted on the first page of this thread and never even picked up a ukulele.....until now that is!

I went to the local ukulele place (ukerepublic) and the guy who runs it is just plain awesome. he was so excited about ukuleles. He showed me how to play a c chord, and proceeded to stick every ukulele in the whole drat shop in my hands to strum. He seemed genuinely excited. I told him I'd love to buy one, but I don't get payed until tomorrow and it turned out our schedules didn't coincide again until next week, as he closes at 5:30 and is closed on Sundays and Mondays. He told me not to worry about it, to go ahead and take one home, he'd paypal invoice me. Unbelievable. he also invited me to a couple ukulele meetups.

So I picked out a concert size that just really felt nice and sounded nice to me. It was kind of cheap too, which is a bonus. I got this..

http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/hulala-ocean-dancer-concert

What do you guys think? Did I do OK? The guy said it was a very solid uke for the price, especially with a bag. I'm in love with it, even though I am just strumming C over and over. My daughter loves it too. I told her I'd buy her a dolphin as soon as she learns one song.\

Long story short, ukerepublic are awesome folks and I recommend the hell out of them.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 12, 2013

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
This way harder than the guys on Youtube make it seem. After about 3 hours with this little torture device, I can transition from C to F and almost back again. I can almost keep time with strumming and even get a fancy upstroke in every once in awhile.

My left had aches like a motherfucker and my ringfinger has a deep groove in it.

But I played Camptown Ladies. My first song. poo poo yeah!

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I have bought four ukuleles in one week. Four. On your heads be it.

My kids were having so much fun with mine that I told them they could have one if they learned a song. Of course, I had no idea how easy it was to play a song then. It didn't really bother me, though. it is awesome to see them so interested in something that is so good for them. So I called the uke shop and ordered them three ukuleles strung with multicolored uke strings. The colored strings make it super easy to teach them chords. The ukulele owner said he wondered why he never thought of that. I bought two plastic dolphins and one Makala ukadelic that was marked way down to 55 dollars.

My wife bought some brandy.

Also, I have a small problem with my ukulele. It has sharp edges all the way around. I have a heavy forearm and it's pretty uncomfortable to rest it on the back edge of the uke after awhile. This doesn't happen when I mess around with my kids' more rounded plastic ukes. Any decent looking suggestions out there that are better than taping a sock to it?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Hate to bump the thread when I was the last one that posted, but I hope some of you other guys start posting again. Me and my kids are coming along. My daughter and I do Little Talks by Of monsters and Men together, and it's a blast. I can almost do In the jungle now...with the singing. Adding singing to a ukulele strum is way harder than I thought it'd be.

Also, I noticed that playing a ukulele in public makes people want to come up and hang out with you. I took my kids to a local park and I was practicing my strumming while they ran around. Three different women and one old man came up to me and started chatting me up about the uke. One even wanted me to teach her a little.

My wife says I'm not allowed to take my ukulele in public anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

laertes22 posted:

Anybody know anything about the Kala Ukadelic line of Soprano Ukuleles?

http://www.kalabrand.com/Models/Makala/Ukadelic/UkadelicDetailsPage.html

I really dig the look of that USA/'Murica model uke, but I have not heard anything about the playability, quality, etc. of this line.

I bought one for my daughter...the whole family got a ukulele because of this thread. I got a Hulala, most of the kids got Dolphins, the wife got a Makala. Also someone gave us a free Kala Kiwi.

No one likes the Ukedelic. It is a bit older model, the leopard print. It just sounds bad. Everyone agrees that my little 85 dollar Hulala sounds the best and just feels right. The Kiwi is pretty popular too, it doesn't sound as nice, but it looks awesome.

(My wife runs a day care, so these things get played with a lot)

This is the Hulala, I love it so much, even if all I do with it is play Adventure Time for the kids.

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/HULALA-2.htm

• Locked thread