Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NattyBumppo
Feb 28, 2006

President's Quest '08: To Hope Is Human
I love playing my uke, and chords are ridiculously easy to learn on it. It's relaxing to play and very portable, so you can take it anywhere and bust it out whenever you feel like it. In short, I agree with this thread entirely.

Though I'm not sure why it's in Ask/Tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NattyBumppo
Feb 28, 2006

MyNameIsJorma posted:

I'm a guitar player who loves finger picking, I saw this thread and had to pick up the little uke my friend gave me for a gift all those years ago.
I guess what i'm getting at, is how did you seasoned uke players get good? there's not many resources out there...

There are plenty of chord sites for picking up the basics and learning how to strum along to just about any sort of music. This is a good site for chords (just make sure to set it to your particular type of uke before looking up a chord).

However, there are very, very few resources for learning how to do cool fingerpicking stuff on the uke, besides a smattering of tab here and there made by people just fiddling around. I think courses you could buy would be a good bet (even Jake Shimabukuro's DVDs like Play Loud Ukulele have very useful instructional segments). Besides that, there are lots of people out there that teach uke lessons; I'd say that would be the next logical step.

NattyBumppo
Feb 28, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

- How is a ukulele different from a mini-guitar? If I want music for a song -- tab charts or whatever -- how easy will that be to find for a uke? Or will I be playing almost entirely by ear?

If you're playing the chords, just play the uke chords instead of the guitar chords. If a song's chord progression is G, C, D, for example, you can play that on any instrument, so long as you know how to do those chords. If the tab is actually fingered notes, you'll have to transcribe them, and that could be hard.

Anne Whateley posted:

- I've played piano for years (lessons started in kindergarten, that kind of thing). I'm not bad, but my theory is not up to par. Is my experience going to make playing ukulele easier at all, or would that take a better grasp of theory?

I honestly don't think that it will make it much easier at all. The two experiences are very different.

Anne Whateley posted:

- I am a fat chick. Is a fat chick with a ukulele going to be automatically hilarious (e.g., "No no, that actually is a real guitar, it's just in her massive paws...")? You don't have to be a uke expert to answer this one.

If you're at all self-conscious, maybe this isn't a very good idea after all. Unless you're playing around friends, it will probably look a little silly and you may get made fun of. :(

NattyBumppo
Feb 28, 2006

Toastmaker posted:

Important piece of information about the ukulele: it's pronounced "oo-koo-lay-lee." So the thread title should read "Why YOU should get an ukulele." :hawaiian101:

No, in Hawaiian it's pronounced more like "oo-koo-lay-lay." (Your last syllable is wrong.) But people in most of the English-speaking world don't pronounce the name of the instrument that way. Where do you get off acting like a pronunciation authority anyway?

NattyBumppo
Feb 28, 2006

Toastmaker posted:

Just because it's accepted doesn't mean it's correct. People say "kwess-a-dilla" for "quesadilla," but that doesn't make it proper. Why did you have to bring confrontation into this? I was throwing in a happy little tidbit in a happy little ukulele thread.

Sorry, I was just annoyed that you were coming in acting like an authority and spreading erroneous information.

NattyBumppo
Feb 28, 2006

I've decided to work up some courage and post a recording or two of a few songs I've learned to play, as soon as I get a new computer mic, as my old one is borked. I haven't decided if I'll sing along or not; I might just play the chords and save myself the possible embarrassment.

NattyBumppo
Feb 28, 2006

Ehud posted:

I have an electric guitar tuner here. It's perfect for tuning the E and A strings, but I can't get the C and G strings to tune properly.

It says the G is in tune but it sounds really out of whack, like it's way too low and the string feels very loose.

And the C string sounds in tune but is reading as a out of tune B.

What am I doing wrong? If I hold the electric tuner up to the speakers and play the notes from a ukulele tuning site, it picks them up perfectly.

Are you sure you have it set for the right key? You should set it for the key of C.

NattyBumppo
Feb 28, 2006

I already play the uke, so I know how awesome they can be, but all of the uke-talk in this thread has encouraged me to share the love!

I just bought a Kala uke for my friend who's stationed at Guantanamo. Hopefully it'll help him to pass the time there and cheer himself up every once in a while.

NattyBumppo
Feb 28, 2006

Okay, I manned up and recorded something on the uke. I've been learning to play for over a year now, although I slacked off and didn't play for over half that time, and I've just now picked it up again over the past month or two.

(Ending fumbled!)

I could use a better uke, I think. I'm playing on a soprano Lanikai, and I'm starting to doubt that the intonation is all it could be. But whatever- playing it makes me happy. :unsmith:

NattyBumppo
Feb 28, 2006

Whitefish posted:

How do you play an E major? My fingers won't work that way!! I can't get a good sound out of the three top strings without messing up my bottom string.

Just keep practicing. That's all you can do.

If you want to try an alternative in the meantime, though, you could just move a D major chord (considerably easier to play) up two frets.

NattyBumppo
Feb 28, 2006

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

If you're a Scruggs player, I'd really like to see you retune your uke and try some Scruggs licks. I've messed around tuning my uke to banjo tunings (minus the bass string, using the re-entrant as a 5th drone):

I retuned my Kala tenor to banjo tuning and produced this:

I don't have a low G string to turn into a low D string, so I had to settle for a high D string, so I wasn't able to play anything much more complex without it sounding really weird whenever it hit the fourth string. Not to mention that Scruggs licks really need that fifth string to shine, or sometimes even to be executed at all. But I still like the way it sounds.

NattyBumppo
Feb 28, 2006

I just wanted to post that I just came back from a rockin' Jake Shimabukuro concert in New York City! It was simply amazing- honestly one of the most moving shows I've ever been to.

Afterwards my girlfriend and I got to meet Jake and talk to him for a bit, and even get him to sign our albums and DVD. Now I feel more inspired than ever to improve my own uke skills! :keke:

NattyBumppo
Feb 28, 2006

k0konutz posted:

I think he's on Conan O'brien tomorrow night (Tuesday, the 19th), now that you mention him being in New York.

Yeah, you're right! He told us all to watch. :)

NattyBumppo
Feb 28, 2006

mofolotopo posted:

music

I really like your jazzy one. Keep it up!

NattyBumppo
Feb 28, 2006

k0konutz posted:

I'm posting this because I know I'll get too lazy later on to finish it and I'll need your goony encouragement to push me to finish it!

Very nice! Keep going, I say!

On that note, I should start recording myself more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NattyBumppo
Feb 28, 2006

So my wife and I are huge fans of Jake Shimabukuro, and we've been to a bunch of his concerts, where we always make it a point to stay afterwards (and occasionally show up beforehand) and talk to him a little bit. He's so nice and genuine, and always really fun to talk to. I've never met someone that it felt like it was so easy to connect to on a personal level so quickly.

He did a concert in NYC a while back, and on a lark we decided to invite him to our wedding. We got his address and even sent him an invitation. He seemed really moved at the time, but we knew he'd be on tour then, so we weren't surprised when he didn't RSVP that he could come. We got married in June, and weren't expecting to hear from him after that.

We just got a huge, wonderful-smelling bouquet of flowers from FTD: "Aloha [our names]. I am sorry that I missed your wedding. Wishing you a new beginning, and a thousand years of love and happiness... Jake Shimabukuro." Seriously, nicest guy ever.

• Locked thread