Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The continuing story of contract killer 47, focusing around a "hit" on a Russian politician. I believe it continues after Blood Money from a couple brief scenes and dialog.

While 47 is portrayed faithfully when left alone, considering it being a movie adaptation of an ever expanding video game series; it has the problem of tuning contract killer 47 into something suitable for a motion picture audience.

New characters introduced and pose a threat to 47's identity/survival, are not executed as they would be in the series. The characters are instead, used as a testing ground for the emotionless 47 for the awkward and amusing scenes. They could be left alive because 47 could find a use for them in the future, or from plot development people have seen before. The female with the tattoo from the trailer, really detracts from the Hitman theme and tries to humanize 47.

The combat scenes are full of shooting and killing but usually starts with 47 getting into position near the target and kill mostly everyone around him. Some foes will be familiar to gamers (clones) and serve to confuse the plot.

Besides the absolute annoyance of the woman, this movie is much like the long stages of early Hitman games with many civilians and greatly expands on each area for plot development. 4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Horrible acting and writing, but some laughs, some good fights/hits, and every reference to the games you could ask for. We had fun.

3/5

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
I went into the movie expecting a brainless shooter loosely based on the videogame series. I was not let down. As with most movies of this type, the dialog was pretty weak. This reminded me a lot of the transporter series, but with a stronger plot and dialog. The tattooed girl in this was amazingly gorgeous. I would have felt a little dissapointed if she wasn't, as the reviewers above me have stated she did give 47 an asperger's suffering hitman in shining armor mystique.

If you go into this movie just expecting a good time you will get it. That is not to say the film was without merit, you just can't expect to leave the theater emotionally affected by it.

Larger_Bulb
Sep 15, 2004
CAUTION: To reduce the risk of fire use 40 WATT TYPE A or smaller bulb

Hollis Brown posted:

I went into the movie expecting a brainless shooter loosely based on the videogame series. I was not let down.

You know, I didn't have high expectations heading into this movie either. Halfway through the movie, I was thinking, "Well, this isn't so bad for a video game adaptation. Almost not so bad for a movie." Three quarters, and I was thinking, "What did I just say?" The end had me shaking my head, "Why oh why did I say that?"

Verdict: Heavily plotted, little emphasis on character depth (though there are hints), decently fun gunplay (though done better in other movies), nice but excessively long shots of boobies, and sometimes dumb dialogue: for a video game adaptation, not bad.

All in all I enjoyed it. Worth the money? Meh.

2.5/5

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Meh, I thought it could have been way better than it actually was. Even the action sequences were not all that impressive for the most part. Plot was kind of a mess and Olyphant played the role with too much emotion (in my opinion anyways) -- 47 should be way more stone-cold than he was. Overall it just came off as a mediocre version of the Bourne movies, which is a shame because it had potential to be way better.

2/5, + 1 just because that Russian girl was so smoking hot and willing to walk around wearing only panties. :swoon:

So 3/5 total

Sickness69
Mar 31, 2007
I was fortunate to see this movie tuesday night for free. I had lovely seats in the nosebleed section right next to the handicap people so that's a -1.

The action was good throughout the movie if you like seeing blood and gun fights.

The russian girl is smokin' hot and as stated above gets grats to wearing nothin but a thong walkin in the hotel room.

The ending wasn't exactly what I expected, but hey they left it open for a Hitman 2.

I rate it 3.5/5.

Personally I'd wait till it comes out on HD DVD and crank up your surround sound :)

ProtoKaiser
Feb 28, 2005

Hello, IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again?
It was a pretty horrible film. The acting was subpar, the plot was stupid, among many other things. I'm still baffled by the random katana fight in the train car, but I will admit it was hilariously amazing.

2/5

pantsofwar
Jul 14, 2006
Yea, becouse pants do go to war? Eh?
First half of the movie reminded me why video games should never be made into movies. I guess the director thought that people already knew what 47 was and all that jazz. He just ended up slinging the audience for the first act with really bad editing shots of people getting killed along with random conversations. Then during the mid II act the plot finely reviled itself. A little too late my opinion but if you managed to get that far into the movie then it was fine. Allot of explosions, funny situations and some hits (thought we never really get to see how much thought goes into his plan the movie takes it as assumed 47 did this or that).
2/5

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I bloody loved it. The movie kept up a nice pace and none of it seemed drawn out. It consistently delivered scenes which I considered very clever. Parts of this movie are not meant to be taken literally, parts of it are not meant to be serious or realistic, but the rest of the plot is pretty cool if you can keep up with it. The chick was ugly. 5/5.

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
I did not expect much of this movie, yet it still let me down.
This movie was just a collage of horrible acting, an extremely weak plot and fake accents.
It did not have much in common with the game series. It was not as much about assassination as it was about explosions and flashy gunplay. Some scenes felt incredibly out of place,such as the aforementioned katana fight.
The movie had a it's rare moments "Shut up or I'll put you in the trunk again" but overall was not worth the entrance fee.
2/5

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
Even as a dumb action movie this was a pretty big turd. Apart from Agent 47 (who has merely okay), every other character in this movie was horrible. There's a few decent action scenes and gun fights but nothing worth paying to see in the cinema. The dubbing of the voices at times is out of sync and the accents are weak. The dialogue in general is clumsy and contains no memorable one-liners (the staple of any action film).

Pros: a few decent fight scenes

Cons: poo poo dialogue, poo poo characters, poo poo plot, poo poo everything.

1/5

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
One of the few parts I actually remember about this movie is when Agent 47 breaks into a house. Two kids are playing Hitman (I believe it is Hitman: Blood Money) on the TV. I laughed for a minute or two. Decent fight scenes.

2/5

Projectile
Jun 25, 2003
I really didn't enjoy this movie, and I loved the game. I wanted to like it, but there were just too many things wrong. The "romantic" subplot was awful - the love interest was portrayed as cardboard sex object: She loved it when Agent 47 said things like "Shut up. Stop talking." and locked her in the boot of his car.
None of the movie's plot was really that logical, nor did I care about any of the characters. Every thing about this movie was lazy, by the numbers, and razor thin. It desperately wanted to be so many better movies but failed miserably.

I have never groaned or laughed at supposedly "serious" moments so much. It became a really bad Bourne Identity rip off with terrible accents. It is a movie made by stupid people for stupid people. Anyone over the age of about 14 will have seen it all before and think this movie sucks.

1/5

fail son rebate
Apr 10, 2007

Corruption is why we WIN !!

Projectile posted:

I really didn't enjoy this movie, and I loved the game. I wanted to like it, but there were just too many things wrong. The "romantic" subplot was awful - the love interest was portrayed as cardboard sex object: She loved it when Agent 47 said things like "Shut up. Stop talking." and locked her in the boot of his car.
None of the movie's plot was really that logical, nor did I care about any of the characters. Every thing about this movie was lazy, by the numbers, and razor thin. It desperately wanted to be so many better movies but failed miserably.

I have never groaned or laughed at supposedly "serious" moments so much. It became a really bad Bourne Identity rip off with terrible accents. It is a movie made by stupid people for stupid people. Anyone over the age of about 14 will have seen it all before and think this movie sucks.

1/5

pretty much but the rad action sequences bumped it up 1.5 for me

2.5/5

Kaji
Oct 30, 2002

The Crossdressing Cop with the .45
From a guy who never played the series it was just completely ridiculous in terms of scenarios. 1/5

motorcycledriveby
Nov 8, 2007
Fitness is everything, but I could never do that
While Tim Olyphant looked the part of 47, his voice was way too soft (though this fit with the abovementioned softening of the character in general). In the games, 47 sounds like an intellectual, snide Vin Diesel. In the movie he came off as a whiny, fickle prick. The horrible dialogue did not help.

2/5

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.
This was a fun movie, a definite rental, but not a keeper. At least until they release the director's cut version - apparently the Katana scene, which is bloody ridiculous, was put in later to replace a on on one agent fight.

3/5

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Probably one of the worst videogame to movie translations I've ever seen. Some pretty glaring plot holes, the acting is poor at best despite Olyphants best efforts. The action sequences themselves were heavily overdone and poorly edited, see the wakasashi fight scene as an example. That scene alone would ruin any other movie but in this one its just the most glaring example, it should be shown in film schools so that future generations know what to avoid doing.

Even as a rental you'll probably feel like you got conned unless you're twelve years old.

1/5

Dr. Maureen Bauer
Sep 1, 2004

#1 Fan
This film was terrible in most respects. The lead character had such stiff, uninspired dialogue that I spent most of the film hoping a more interesting Hitman would replace him. I think the director wanted him to be cold and calculated but instead he was wooden and awkward. The action sequences were pretty well choreographed but after awhile became just loud and tiresome. One of the weird things I began to notice was that the film looked like it was dubbed in English at certain parts (either that or it was out of synch) - maybe the Hitman was mumbling so much that they had to do ADR for a lot of his scenes.

1/5 stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shonagon
Mar 27, 2005

It is impervious to reason or pleading, it knows no mercy or patience.
Horrendously poor. Completely miscast, the action sequences were dire, the plot was convoluted and stupid, the villains were weak and never posed a threat, the humour wasn't funny, the sexism was grotesque, and none of it made any loving sense. Having a completely bald guy with a barcode on his head as a super secret assassin may make sense in a video game, but on screen you just think, 'get a wig, or grow your hair, you jerk.' And Timpthy Olyphant has a really funny shaped head.

Utterly avoidable.