Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

kewlpc posted:

It'll probably be easier to use an existing engine or renderer, though. OGRE and Horde3D seem like decent open-source renderers. There's also Open Scene Graph. When it comes to closed-source engines, there's always Torque, but I don't know how well that runs on Linux these days.
As a brand new 3D programmer I picked up OGRE for my game engine. It's pretty powerful, but keeps stuff simple. I've spoken with a few folks who have written their own graphics engines from scratch, and it sounds like I'm doing the right thing using a pre-built engine before tackling my own.

Edit: I had never checked out Horde3D before, this looks way way more lightweight than OGRE is. Are any of you experienced in both that you could sum up the pros and cons of each? OGRE is seriously robust, but I find it frustrating that my engine has a lengthy load time using the bare minimum requisites to run an OGRE application.

Ferg fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 24, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

duck monster posted:

If you want a really basic 3D engine to play around with Panda3D is dead easy. Its very basic, and I wouldn't expect to be able to create anything remotely professional, but its a good little learning tool and its dead easy. Its a shame it doesn't seem so maintained however.
Irrlicht is another totally simple engine that's great for getting your feet wet with 3D engine programming. It's got great tutorials and a decent community.

Regarding XNA: why is it I need Visual C# Express? I have Visual Studio 2005 already, but no matter what XNA bitches at me for not having Express installed.

Ferg fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 3, 2007

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TAKE ME BACK posted:

Xna.com just posted that the Beta for XNA 2.0 has been released and it has support for VS2005.
I've been Googling around and perusing the Microsoft Connect website for this beta but I can't find anything. Is it closed?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Madox posted:

Looks like you should be able to get it from here.
http://creators.xna.com/beta/betahome.aspx
Thank you sir, somehow I wasn't able to find that.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Stanlo posted:

I've used XNA Game Studio a lot, and I love it. It's not a game engine if that's what you're looking for. You can get a 3D model up a few minutes, but it doesn't provide any game logic, which is nice because it's meant to be a platform and there's no 'best' game engine.
Then what would you describe it as? A 3D engine?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

HB posted:

It's a system architecture focused on game development. It's more comparable to something like SDL rather than a game engine.
Now I'm all confused. I was under the impression that SDL was more of a DirectX-style thing for multiple platforms?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

duck monster posted:

Been playing with PyODE, the python wrappers for the ODE physics engine. Plays real nice with PyGame.

http://pyode.sourceforge.net/tutorials/tutorial2.html

Added a bunch of nodes and motors and poo poo to the tutorial, and just watch it flail around. Neat as hell. Putting extreme values into things makes some pretty loopy 'physics'.
This is probably a shot in the dark, but has anybody had luck with getting OgreOde to compile on Linux? I'm trying to find a physics wrapper for my OGRE-based engine on Linux but I can't seem to get OgreOde to build and OgreNewt is only pre-compiled for Windows (from what I've found).

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ugg boots posted:

Probably more likely that you'll create the engine, create some content manually, and then make the content editing tools.
Definitely the case. Usually after spending some time with the masochistic method of hand-building your content it will drive you to the point of creating your own tools.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Hanpan posted:

I've been working on a side project for some time now, a simple tile engine developed in Actionscript 3 using the Flex framework. It started as a distraction from work, but I have since been looking for alternative languages because AS3 is (obviously) extremely limiting.

I'm not trying to do anything too crazy, just simple 2D stuff (similar to the likes of Cave Story but not to that standard.) I looked around on the web and it seems Python is a good start (since I am a mac user) but I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions?
Even though you've probably burnt yourself out on AS3 while using Flex, you can do some pretty powerful things with AS3 if you use Flash. I write Flash/Flex children's software at work right now, and we've managed to do some semi-3D tile based stuff using Flash as our client frontend. We stuck with Flex for administrative tasks though.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Hanpan posted:

I actually have no idea why I typed Flex because I primarily used the Flash IDE. Out of interest, do you have any projects you can show me? My tile engines always seem sluggish but I am more than willing to admit it's probably because I code them badly.
(Although the last project only used two movieclips, the rest was all copypixels!)
If you ask me in about a month I can legally show you an example ;) the product is still in development at this point and is due for release at the end of January. Game programming in Flash isn't a foreign concept though. One thing I would definitely suggest is that you push as much code out of Flash as possible. Keep it all in your IDE if you can (we use Eclipse).

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've got a licensing question. I don't think I'm alone when I say that I'm pretty dumb when it comes to legal jargon. Can somebody dumb down exactly what the MS-PL and MS-RL actually do? I noticed on Wikipedia that they were officially approved by the OSI but the description of each is pretty lawyerish.

I'm asking this here because I've begun poking around with XNA and I've noticed that majority of the software examples distributed on the XNA page are licensed with MS-PL. I'm wondering if it might be a good license for my XNA games.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

biznatchio posted:

Licensing stuff
Thanks for this. I had been using the BSD license for a previous project of mine, the MS-PL seems like something I'll think over for my games.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

LordLobo posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 2d/sprite game engine in c#?

I have ideas, just not precisely the willpower to write the engine. Though I probably should, but then it's entirely possible someone has already done it and done it well.
I know it's been said here a million times and it's pretty tired at this point, but look into XNA. You can easily setup a 2D game in XNA Studio.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm cross-posting this with the XNA thread:

I've added the GamerServicesComponent to my game, but it looks like I need to do something about controls when the Live Guide is open. Say I have a sprite on the game screen that moves left and right with the D-Pad. When I open up the Live guide and I'm hitting left and right to change tabs, my sprite is still moving inside the game in the background. Is there a way to disable controls when the guide is open?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

more falafel please posted:

The Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GamerServices.Guide has a property called IsVisible. That should tell you whether the guide is up, so you can ignore input.

Awesome, thanks!

While we're on the subject, is there a way with GamerServices to have a gamer's profile display the game they're playing as opposed to XNA Studio? My anal retentive side wants others to see what game I'm actually playing rather than seeing that I'm "just" using XNA studio.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

stromdotcom posted:

For those of you working with XNA, I got a bunch of requests to do a series of tutorials on building animated models with Blender for XNA and finally did it. This has always been a major stopping point for me -- either I hire someone to do it, or the project dies. I always just wanted to know how to whip up something temporary in Blender and get it to work, and then hand it off to a modeler.

Links:

Part 1: Non-UV Texturing
Part 2: UV Texturing
Part 3: Rigging
Part 4: Animating and Exporting

The topic comes up every 5 seconds on the XNA forums, so these were geared towards coders.
You sir, are a godsend.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Does anybody know of a reasonable way to get music into an XNA game? I just found out yesterday that XACT only supports WAV files and making an entire song in uncompressed WAV is just not going to cut it.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

stromdotcom posted:

XACT allows you to compress your audio files (see this)

Unless the XNA implementation of the audio engine specifically doesn't support compressed audio, which I haven't heard, and which would surprise me.

[edit] Indeed it does. Because msdn can be a bit dry, have a look at this

Awesome, thanks for the pointer.

On another note with XNA, can somebody dumb down a good program design for dealing with multiple game states? I downloaded the GameStateManagement example from the Creators Club and while it nails exactly what I'm trying to learn, the thing is an absolute behemoth and it'd be a huge help if anybody could explain just whats going on in there so I can start making sense of it all. I've been working on a sort of retro remake of Space Invaders to freshen up on my XNA skills and I'm finding that moving between menus and such is a bit more tricky than I anticipated.

Edit: One more question to throw into the mix. I passed along a Windows build of my game to a friend who doesn't have a Creators Club membership and he would have an exception thrown whenever trying to log onto Live with his account through my game. What's the story with that? Will non-Creators Club members be able to use the Live interface once Community Games goes live? Is there a workaround to allow non-members Live access?

Ferg fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 25, 2008

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

stromdotcom posted:

I wrote something really brief about it here, and Microsoft's Nazeeh wrote more on it here

Honestly though, the best way to figure it out is just to dig into it and start messing with it. It's not nearly as complicated as it looks. Whatever you want to add or modify is probably in there. For example, if you wanted to add a game over screen, you'd probably scale down the GameplayScreen or scale up the BackgroundScreen. If you open up the GameplayScreen.cs file and start trying to add your game logic to it, you'll pretty quickly figure out what needs adjusting to make it work.

Awesome, these links are exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Yeah I had been poking around in the example but they take one too many big ideas for me to quite digest it at this point in my XNA expertise.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

IcePotato posted:

Start simple. Trust me on this one. Use XNA, make a really simple 2d platforming game or whatever, and make lots of mistakes.

I can vouch for this. Like I mentioned before I'm working on a space invaders clone just to familiarize myself with XNA. Starting with no experience in XNA at all I whipped up a working game in 2 days. Now I'm learning the ins and outs by cleaning up the code and messing around with stuff.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Alright I've got yet another licensing question. I decided to utilize the GameStateManagement example that's provided on the XNA website as a framework for my game's state management. I've basically plugged my game into the GameplayScreen object, and tweaked the hell out of every other screen (removed some, tweaked others). But lets say down the line I want to distribute my game. What obligations do I have as far as licensing for these huge chunks of code that I used from Microsoft? Can I just keep the MS branding at the top and add my licensing as well? Can I license it with my own license at all?

I'd say with all the code added from the example it's a good 15%-20% of the game right now is code that I didn't entirely write, and I'd like to submit this to community games come winter.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Pfhreak posted:

Wasn't that put out under the Microsoft Permissive License? If so:

But you should NOT leave any microsoft branding int there, as those are registered Microsoft trademarks, and you haven't been given permission to use them.

So I remove the MS branding, and I don't have to worry about distribution. Now can I apply my own license to the code then?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

stromdotcom posted:

What do you mean by "apply my own license?" Do you mean open source it under a different license? Because you can't do that.

That's what I figured.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

IcePotato posted:

I have to present my independent study (XNA rts game) tommorrow, and I need some help cleaning it up. Anyone going to be around on AIM or IRC later tonight? I'm kind of bad at math things, which is where I need to make it look nice - mostly loop timing stuff.

This is the least productive response ever to your question, but would you be able to put your game up for download somewhere when you're finished? I'd be really interested to see what RTS somebody was able to make in XNA.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

IcePotato posted:

Yeah, I'll do that along with my writeup of how NOT to make your first game. It's ... kind of neat. But mostly unfinished, unpolished, and very dumb looking. It'd be awesome if someone ended up extending it though. Not sure if it would be worth the effort, but definitely awesome!
I have to give a presentation on it tomorrow to like the entire department. I think it's going to be 90% powerpoint, and 10% "this is my actual game and what it does" :)

also irc helped me

During my junior year we spent two semesters planning a developing a project of our choice. Obviously everybody picks a game of some sort because that's more fun. Even after 9 months of work, they all looked unfinished, unpolished, and very dumb. Nothing to worry about there ;)

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Nuke Mexico posted:

I always consider writing a Tetris clone to be the "Hello World" of a new game system (graphics library/framework, language, etc).

Depending on what you're doing, I'd suggest either SDL+OpenGL or Ogre3D. If you're starting with a simple game, then do the SDL+OpenGL route because Ogre3D would be a bit of Overkill

I'll vouch for passing over Ogre3D as your first try. I tried diving head first into that with a solid knowledge of C++ and it ended up being way too much for a beginner.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

OneEightHundred posted:

You could try Ogre3D and Irrlicht.

I'd say Irrlicht over Ogre3D if he's looking for an XNA comparable framework. Ogre3D isn't exactly super super easy to use, and that's one of the benefits you'd get from XNA.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm trying to get the latest version of XNA (4.0) but the website throws up an error and "can't find the page" when I try, is anyone else getting this? I tried to find a mirror but it was actually only 3.1.

It's bundled in the Windows Phone 7 SDK now. I don't think they did a standalone packaging of 4.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

h_double posted:

I found this a super-helpful overview of how to do procedural terrain and dungeon generation.

http://properundead.com/2009/03/cave-generator.html

Sweet! Spent most of my weekend trying out different ideas for dungeon generation for a new XNA project but didn't find anything I liked.