Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007
I'm looking to build a game similar to Operation Space Hog(for those of you who haven't played it, a) check it out, its free, b) it's a 2d scroller space game where you have a ship and you get upgrades and stuff), with the intention of ultimately making it online-coop, I'd like to build it in python(by far my strongest language), any recommendations for what library to use, my understanding is that it would be either PyGame or PySoy, any other advice would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

trashmatic posted:

PySoy doesn't make much sense for 2D games and as far as I can tell its developers don't recommend it be used in real projects yet anyway.

Look into Pyglet for graphics/audio/input and Twisted for the networking layer. My experience with both libraries is very limited but they stood out ahead of the rest when I was evaluating these things a while back.

Very cool, thanks, the networking stuff I'm going to look at later, first I want to put together the game, pyglet doesn't appear to have linux support, or can I just download the source and put it on my python path.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007
Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to find decent sprite images?