Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007
I never gave a reach-around to a spider monkey while reciting the Pledge of Alligence.
Ok, I'm starting this mega thread because I'm looking for help when it comes to game development on Linux, but rather than post my own thread I thought it might be a good idea to start a mega thread.

The thread should cover stuff like:

General Game Development Theory
OpenGL Development
DirectX Development
Libraries (SDL/Alegro/XNA)
Multiplayer/Networking
Game Sound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007
I never gave a reach-around to a spider monkey while reciting the Pledge of Alligence.
The last couple of days, I have been putting to paper a designing for game I've been thinking about for a couple of weeks and now I'd like to put it in to development.

Graphically, it's not a complicated game, think along the lines of Tron/Rez wireframe, but to be honest I'm having difficulty finding a good Linux based tutorials to start me off. I did some C/OpenGL development back on Windows, but that's coming up to about 7 years ago so I'm really rusty.

Can anyone point out some good tutorials. I'm thinking going with SDL is probably my best option , although I'm happy to look at anyone else's suggestions.

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007

Bizarro Buddha posted:

http://gpwiki.org/

GPWiki has a bunch of tutorials for all sorts of stuff. They're not the most up-to-date, but they're a starting point.

http://nehe.gamedev.net/

NeHe always gets brought up when people want OpenGL tutorials. I've not actually used them myself, though, so I can't vouch for how good they really are.

I'm just starting to get into OpenGL with SDL myself. I've got an OpenGL book that I'm continually putting off reading. :(

Yea, I've looked at NeHe - looks ok, but I can't find a downloadable version for working on my commute, and it's pretty windows oriented :( I've got the red book too, but it's quite a few years old now (got it about the time Quake 3 came out) so I don't know how up to date it is, but I suppose for the simple graphics I want to do it'll probably be a good start

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007

kewlpc posted:

Stay the hell away from NeHe's tutorials, they're terrible. Instead, start off with the ones by Nate Robbins, which are drat nice and even mentioned in the OpenGL Red Book.

Also, the OpenGL Red Book is recent if you've got one that covers the latest version of OpenGL. Right now OpenGL is at 2.1, with 3.0 coming out "real soon now". I've got the one that covers both 1.5 and 2.0, so mine isn't too out of date.

If your Red Book is from the Quake III era, just get a newer, more up-to-date one.

Get the OpenGL Orange Book whose version matches the new Red Book you're going to buy :)

If you want to do any sort of semi-advanced graphics at all, get GPU Gems 1, 2, & 3. Also check out the Game Programming Gems series.

Use SDL for window creation/handling and input with OpenGL for graphics. It runs on pretty much every platform under the sun, and unlike GLUT it's meant for more than just toy applications.

It'll probably be easier to use an existing engine or renderer, though. OGRE and Horde3D seem like decent open-source renderers. There's also Open Scene Graph. When it comes to closed-source engines, there's always Torque, but I don't know how well that runs on Linux these days.

Yea, I was thinking of getting an up to date book, mine only covers OpenGL 1.2, which is fine for me at the moment, but if I intend to do more advanced stuff a new red + orange book might be an idea (although I am only running on a crappy Intel built in graphics card on my laptop).

I've got Torque, I've had the licence for about 6 years now, but in that time the documentation has never really improved and it's even worse for Linux.

I'll check out Horde3D - I looked at Ogre3D, but it didn't really have good linux docs too.

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007
A little update on my game development adventure.

At the moment, I have been learning Python from scratch - so far I'm LOVING it - finding it much easier than C/C++

At the moment, I've not got much further that writing a OO Blackjack game, and some minor GUI stuff, but my next move is to look at PyGame (and possibly Soya3d) to start doing some 3D stuff.

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007

Horn posted:

Does anyone have an opinion of PyGame vs Soya? I'm reading through the Soya documentation and it seems pretty well fleshed out whereas pygame has always seemed a little clunky to me.

Yea, I like the look of Soya too, but it's been forked to PySoy (although this again doesn't look complete).

I also came across Pyglet which looks interesting and although the docs are pretty basic at the moment, it's got me started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007
More of a general question than a specific one, but does anyone know *ANY* good resources for Android + OpenGL ES at all?

I've been googling for a couple of days now and coming up with nothing. If I was to be specific I'm looking for tutorial in relation to doing a 2D-side scroller with a Parallax background and sprite collision detection. Anything that is language agnostic too would be useful.