Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magicalblender
Sep 29, 2007
I'm investigating ways of converting .bmps into texture maps, so I can do more than flat colors in OpenGl. OpenGl.org says such a capability doesn't exist within the gl library. Nehe uses auxDIBImageLoad, but the aux library is "strongly discouraged" by opengl.org. Nate Robbins just loads his textures from ppm files, which doesn't seem to help either. So, what can I do to display my .bmps on the screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magicalblender
Sep 29, 2007

Nyvinyd posted:

How would you guys suggest for someone to start from the absolute bottom?

Here's how I started:
Because it is free and moderately simple to install, I use the Borland C++ Compiler. It's seven years old, but if you're not doing anything super complex, it should suffice. Download it, run the exe, follow any pertinent readmes, and check to see if it's running correctly by compiling a simple program:

Open notepad, save this as test.cpp:

code:
#include <iostream>
int main(){
 std::cout << "Hello world! God, this is cliche.";
 return 0;
}
Go to the command line, "cd" to the directory where test.cpp is, and enter "bcc32 test.cpp". Now you have a ready-to-run .exe (Hopefully).

So, go do all that, then come back and tell us how it went.

magicalblender
Sep 29, 2007

Morpheus posted:

is there any way to call collide() on it so that Player.collide() or Enemy.collide() or whatever is called, instead of GameObject.collide()?

How about making GameObject an abstract class? That might help, assuming that C# abstract classes are like c++ abstract classes. (If they are not similar, disregard this post, as I'm preaching outside my tiny circle of knowledge)

Some quick Googling gives an example:
code:
using System;

public abstract class Clock {
    public abstract void Play();
}

public class RedClock: Clock {
    public override void Play() {
        Console.WriteLine("RedClock.Play()");
    }
}
public class BlueClock: Clock{