Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

dupersaurus posted:

Wow. Even with the noise that's pretty awesome. All they need is a game that uses the static as part of the aesthetic.

Max Kane and Lynch - The Fuzzening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

SourceTree is good, not great, but for most things as a GUI it's "good enough". Ironically it's coded not very well, sucks RAM if left open too long, and can slow your system to a crawl on bigger commits. But mostly it works.

When I worked in games they used Perforce, mostly because of the large binaries reasons mentioned above. If that's not a concern, or if your binaries don't change often, GitHub is probably Good Enough.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Nition posted:

I have exactly one GOTO in the maybe ~30,000 lines of C# code in Scraps. It's in a big method where I set up a bunch of stuff, and the method can either run right through or it can finish early, but still needs to do the same clean-up code at the end either way. At the very end it assigns the results of its calculations to the object that was originally passed in.

Obviously I could call a separate "clean-up and assign" method, but it'd have to have a big list of variables passed into it that the first method created, so I made the executive decision to just "goto Cleanup" instead. Works great.

I found some old code of mine that exits a loop early (almost as bad as goto!) that's similar to what you describe; I'm passing in like a dozen extrapolated values and just don't want to have to deal with them after a certain point. In the one case where further processing isn't necessary this was the comment:
code:
'Overwrite everything and get the gently caress out

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

To speak to the whole 'C# is it better?' another thing to consider is the established toolchain and resources already present for C#. It's a higher level language with all that entails, but there are tonnes of resources for it too.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Voted! Been loving seeing what you're doing with Scraps. If only you could have Groove Champion.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

You guys probably already saw this, but ustwo released sales figures and development cost figures for Monument Valley
http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/15/monument-valley-team-reveals-the-cost-and-reward-of-making-a-hit-ios-game/

Interesting read

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Oh my, this changes things. Is UE4 still using Xamarin/mono for the C# stuff?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

So apparently Source Engine 2 is happening, and it's going to be free?
http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/03/valve-announces-source-2-and-itll-be-free

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

ErIog posted:

You're assuming that the market for games is static. It's not. It's growing. As the cost of computers/devices comes down the market for games is growing very quickly in developing countries, and the market even in developed countries gets larger every year too. There are more people playing and buying games now than ever.

The pool of people making games will definitely grow, but it's not going to become completely trivial. Even with really great game engines, making good games is hard and requires a lot of attention to detail.

I think it's a bit silly to worry about saturation. Word processors have been available widely for like 2 decades at this point. How many people do you know that are novelists? HD cameras are also not super expensive anymore, and yet most people aren't becoming indie filmmakers.

As well, having the barrier entry be high does not necessarily lead to higher quality output. Go look at any random game from the earlier console eras, and there's still quite a lot of absolute shovelware.

Yeah I liken it to 'web design'. In the 90s it was an actual in-demand skill. Then it got really easy to do and automation tools are rampant (wix, wp, etc etc). But there are still 'web designers', some good, a lot bad. That said, I don't think the game industry will grow at the rate internet adoption did, but they're comparable circumstances.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Stick100 posted:

[no industry experience]
I have no industry experience but as a guy who has done software interviews, basically no one will ever read your college transcript don't get too bent out of shape.
[/no industry experience]

If you want to do a specific thing make some software you can demo and explain in depth. If you can say go to the app store/play/Steam/itch.io/whatever and download my game/app and then explain at length your difficulty and decisions that will matter 100x more than what classes you took.

(worked on and off at EA for a couple of years in non-programming roles)
Yeah this really. Your course selection isn't that important, your portfolio/reel is. At worst what I've seen while doing resume trawls with a team lead is what school it actually is, as in "Oh hey this guy went to (school x) that's where I went".

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Shalinor posted:

4.8 is also when they add DLC support, theoretically, which might be the start of how to support modding via UE4. Exciting times. :D

Yeah. I haven't moved beyond the tinkering stage but I thought I'd ask some of you grizzled, hairy, scarred veterans. Has it ever been this easy? Have the tools ever been this good? I remember coding a Warlords clone back in the early 90s in Turbo Pascal and it freaking amazes me the hoops we had to jump through back then just to get graphics and sprites working.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask; I asked in the retro games thread in games earlier but nobody has bit on it:

I'm starting some homebrew dreamcast development just to keep my mind busy, and I want to surprise a cousin of mine who's really helped me out in the past and is a total dreamcast fanatic. I'm comfortable with C++/gcc/etc from past work in games but have never really done anything on my own out of the box. Right now I'm roughly following this guide for toolchain setup:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=916501

(and good god cygwin is still a bitch to set up)

Anyone here done anything similar? Any 'gotchas' using KallistiOS as recommended here?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah when I worked in games all the binaries went into Perforce and all the code into something else that I forget. Definitely not VSS, and this pre-dates Git/Bitbucket/Stash.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Uncle Kitchener posted:

What's a good way of maintaining EU4 projects and builds? Git or Perforce or mixing both? I started making some git copies of my projects, but they didn't work right, even when I ignored unrealengine on git settings. Things didn't really build right.

It's a bit slow (last post Jan 12) but there's also a dedicated RCS thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3113983

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

BabelFish posted:

I mean, there are some major exceptions. Epic is still private (the CEO owns > 50% of the company) and is doing well enough for Tim to have a hobby of buying thousands of acres of land to stop them being logged. Bungie hated being public so bad they bought themselves out. And I doubt Valve would want to IPO any time soon.

These are just the big names. There are a ton of smaller companies doing the same thing. Yeah, owner priorities change over time/with enough :10bux:, and the big publishers like EA are in it for the cash, but there's a lot of people in this industry who just want to make make a decent living making cool stuff.

Huh, I knew they were private but I didn't know that's part of what he was using the Fortnite dollars on. Good for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah I'd replace "professional" with maybe "first party console and some PC", and even then there's some wiggle room.