Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Jewel posted:

(I get why but don't say it returns an integral type if it doesn't at all.)

It doesn't say type, it says value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Jewel posted:

It's returning the closest thing to that value that a double can store.

It doesn't do that though. It returns a double (this is the type) who's value is that of the nearest integer. Which is exactly what you would expect and what it says.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

You also end up spending a ton more time on API futzing, because the different components can no longer talk directly to each other and make assumptions about how the other implementations behave.

From my experience this ends up being beneficial to the platform as a whole anyways

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

coffeetable posted:

There're a bunch of languages used in game development. The one you should learn is C#, because that's what Unity3D uses. Unity3D is by far and away the best way to make your own game, and making your own game is by far and away a) the best way to impress interviewers b) the best way to find out if you actually like making games.

Just for the record, there are a plethora of tools and options outside of Unity, and while it is the flavor of the month on these forums, there are plenty of other reasonable options that won't have you working in a hulking ide pouring through broken documentation trying to figure out which third party plugins you need to create ground breaking game components like a GUI.

If you're not doing some sort of three dimensional projection I really don't see any reason to use Unity over any other number of tools, such as Construct, GameMaker, etc.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
Phaser is a TypeScript framework

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
It seems like an investment vs reward thing. Weekly maintenance is the norm and honestly, it's an online video game, three hours of downtime every Tuesday morning isn't a deal breaker for anyone's customers in that industry.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
I shall celebrate by building my own

:downs:

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
The OS spam stuff should be in your personal .gitignore -

https://github.com/github/gitignore/blob/master/Global/OSX.gitignore

is their OSX ignore to add

Goddamn you mac users if I have to take out another .DS_Store

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Obsurveyor posted:

Nah, this just makes it even more complicated and requires everyone have this before committing. Better to just explicitly block this junk in the project so it doesn't have any chance of sneaking through.

Well, that may be the case, but you're going to have to build a much more robust .gitignore

There's no reason for you to ever commit a .DS_Store, you should avoid that in general, which makes using the personal .gitignore make sense

If your teammates are too dumb to set up a .gitignore you're going to be looking at a real mess

https://github.com/github/gitignore/tree/master/Global

These are the gitignore files they reccomend for OS/IDE files and such, quite simply http://kleber-swf.com/the-definitive-gitignore-for-unity-projects/ isn't as robust as solution nor is it the best one. But hell it's not the git thread so I guess it doesn't matter that much.

edit. I guess what I'm saying is go ahead and add .DS_Store to your project's .gitignore, not going to hurt anything, but a lot of people dont even know about the global .gitconfig and .gitignore files, which is the ideal place to deal with those sorts of things

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 14, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Yodzilla posted:

What about SVN if you're on Windows with something like Tortoise?

What benefits does SVN offer over something like Git? From my experience SVN is lacking in pretty much every way.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

xzzy posted:

It's older, and a bit simpler to grasp the concept. The natural progression of SCM over the years went something like rcs -> cvs -> svn -> git.

Is it really simpler? SVN is kind of an rear end in a top hat if you ask me. CVS isn't any simpler or easier than SVN for that matter.

I'm admittedly a pretty big git fanboy, but there's really no reason to install SVN in this day and age.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Stick100 posted:

In many ways you're asking whats the benefit of a Version Control System vs a Distributed Source Control System. There are many benefits to having a single source control server, these include exclusive locks and also maintenance/maintainability at scale.

Well, no. I'm actually familiar of the differences but I just don't see how SVN in particular is going to help with anything you listed.

quote:

The GIT DVCS means each and every single computer maintains the entire history of the project. This is great for small teams and disconnected workflow (you can work without network) however this becomes unworkable as simple things like changing a file format all of a sudden take your git project from a 20GB project to a 35GB project. Oh then maybe someone changes it back (but without a revert) now you have a 50GB project.

This is not true. For one, you can split your project into multiple repositories if you don't want others to be impacted or use shallow clones to check out only some parts of the history. Yes, git doesn't deal well with non-text content in the context of diffing but honestly assets much bigger than the occasional small image don't really belong, imo, in the same place as your code, or at least the two should not be that interlinked. Simply seperating the assets into it's own "project" might solve a lot of your problems with git.

quote:

This tax can kill your history. There are ways of purging history, but most everyone I know who has hit this wall ended up deleting the .git folder and making a new repo. This has the essence of deleting the entirety of the history (in that repo). It was a drastic action but required because they didn't have big enough SSDs to hold the project or didn't want to download 120GB of files/history just to work on a 20GB project.

This is a failure of system administration/project management. Not a mark against git

quote:

Git is not the end all, but it's often the best solution for small teams/projects. Nowadays code is so small and the source control is so important that Git is usually the best solution for code but has weakness with large binary assets compared to the other solutions (being as source control does nothing for them and is usually optimized as managing source, not assets).

This is likely why EPIC uses Perforce internally, but has a bot that streams out the code changes (and only code changes) to the Github repo constantly. They then have to make binary drops every couple days to let people build.

Oh, I know that there are tools that are great for dealing with diffing large binaries. Last I checked SVN isn't one of them. Why use it over something like Mercurial if you're insistent on having a centralized repo (which you can really do with git too, I don't know why so many people get a hardon of the distributed versus centralized issues, you can replicate the same asinine workflows in dvcs systems just as well as centralized ones.

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 2, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Mr Cuddles posted:

I've been a web developer for 12 years

quote:

What skills or tools should I start to pick up?

http://phaser.io/

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Cirrial posted:

I have no idea if there's any way to package up HTML5 things into a standalone package to make it seem more legit.

I've used node-webkit and phaser together, should be no problems https://github.com/nwjs/nw.js/

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Jo posted:

I'm looking around for jobs and wonder if this is hurting my candidacy. I have a public repo (Bitbucket for fun stuff, Github for academic stuff), but it's mostly filled with the software I've abandoned for various reasons. Anything I'm pushing out as "commercial" is in there, but private until I've abandoned it for a while. Better to have no repo or a repo filled with the ghosts of old projects?

I'd rather see the repo with "ghosts" which I assume everyone's github profile is going to have. Unless your only projects are years old I don't think there would be a real issue.

Also, if you develop on Linux, you can always make a dotfiles repo which is always a good conversation starter in interviews from my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
It's a shame there isn't more incentive to do post-mortems on huge projects like WoW, I'm sure a book covering the history of the game from a developer's perspective would be fascinating.