Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm sure this is a typical and overdone question, but here goes.

So we want to make a game. We have plans for a larger game (still a relatively simple one, but may involve some basic 3D), but for now to get started we are making a simple War style card game. Just to get some work under our belt. The problem is we're all artists...so we have the art down, but I figured I'd give my hand at coding a simple game. I'm not a programmer, but I have some very rudimentary understanding of code so the concept itself isn't utterly foreign to me.

The War game is our proof of concept and we wanted to do it for phones/windows. I decided that XNA/App Hub was the way to go since it seems to have a decent ecosystem to learn in. I installed all the tools they offer but goddamn I just don't even know what's what. Am I utterly doomed? Is there somewhere that gives a good actual beginners walk through to this stuff?

Should I just hire actual programmers?

edit: As a further example of what I'm asking for...Channel9.com has a good video series/course about making your very first Windows Phone 7 app.

http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/Windows-Phone-7-Development-for-Absolute-Beginners/Series-Introduction

It really is for "absolute beginners" and basically treats you like a baby at first. That's what I need. I'm sure that series will help generally, but I'm looking for something a little more game related.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

iopred posted:

As a designer what would you think if I said something like:

I have made a game, the functionality is all there but it doesn't look very pretty. I'm thinking of buying photoshop and playing around. I'm looking for some tutorials on the web that'll show me how to make some art, step by step. I think with a few months of messing around my art will be good enough.

You'd be thinking 'oh god he has no idea what is involved in making things look good', and my art would probably be garbage.

Yeah true. But since it wasn't completely foreign to me and something I wanted to try, I figured I'd give it a shot.

And by give it a shot I mean spend a considerable amount of time trying to learn. I'm talking year or two...not months.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Vino posted:

If your goal is to make money then I think you should keep your team small. 3 people max, really. Otherwise it's tougher to communicate between multiple people who have different levels of involvement and motivation, people start fighting eventually about who owns what, drama unfolds, yadeya. If you can manage with a smaller group than that's smart and when the money comes in you'll have less mouths to feed. That ship may have already sailed for your project though.

If it's just for fun though then yeah "hire" a programmer.

Yeah it's really just for fun and experience. The team is only 3 or 4 people and it's honestly just a supplemental thing to a larger (already handled) project.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Oh wow. Totally going to look into that. Could be just what we need! Thanks a ton!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
3DBuzz.com also has some decent tutorials for XNA/Unity/C#

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Zero The Hero posted:

Why would Microsoft try to kill the Windows side of XNA? They should have seen by Steam's success that PC gaming is very profitable, and with the extra work they've put into Games For Windows Live recently, it looks like they recognize this and want to capitalize on it. What sense would it make for them to try to restrict the only existing method that allows developers to develop for XBL and GFWL at the same time?

I don't think they're trying to kill it. I think they are trying to package Windows/XBLA/Windows Phone 7 development all into one "unit." They call it the App Hub and everything is stupidly addressed as mainly Windows Phone 7 stuff even though it applies across the board. I think it's mainly the result of poor marketing strategies.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Zero The Hero posted:

That's the strategy they've been running for a while, though. One development platform that works on all of their poo poo. I like their strategy a lot, personally. But someone earlier in the topic said they were lessening support for the Windows side, or something, and it had me kind of worried.

No I agree in that I love the approach. One package for all. It's just that now it's basically just labeled as Windows Phone 7 dev and it's hard to tell otherwise.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm cross posting this from the CG thread since it can relate to Game Devs (especially Indies).

Project Messiah is doing a Dare to Share program where they sell their basic version for $10 and pro version for $40 (regularly $1200) and everyone gets their license IF the goal is met (if not everyone is refunded).

http://www.projectmessiah.com/x6/shop.html

Seems a decent way to get a good animation program on the cheap (and legit) for small game devs interested in the asset creation side of things.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah it's mainly an animation tool, but still worth it at that price.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Drox posted:

That's too bad, I'm too lazy to learn two things at once. :shepface: Oh well.

Assuming you're talking indie game dev you're gonna need modeling AND animation...so why not have a strong animation package on the cheap? I mean hell it's $40. I bought it "just in case."

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Drox posted:

No, I just like reading this thread to see what people come up with regard to games. I was hoping it was an integrated package, even with horrible modeling capabilities, because I just want to play with a toy, not actually make things with it.

Ah...well....never mind then!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Chocolate Donuts posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the best XNA/C# 4.0 book on the market right now for someone who's pretty much an absolute beginner? I keep finding options, but having no idea which one would be ideal to start from.

I'm using Head First Labs book
http://www.headfirstlabs.com/books/hfcsharp/

to get into some C# and I'm an absolute beginner. It's not going to take you all the way to the end, but it's definitely good enough to start teaching some of the fundamentals. Paired with some Unity training from 3DBuzz and the occasional http://www.learnvisualstudio.net/ video, I'm starting to get some stuff down.

Now if my real life job and new marriage would stop getting in the way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I apologize because this isn't quite code based, and not quite ready to go in the "for hire" thread.

Originally my plan was to learn some programming for some hobbyist coding, and while that is still going on, a pretty good opportunity has popped up. I have some artist friends who have a pretty decent following and published graphic novels. They're also board game fanatics and have designed a cool little turn based strategy game for themselves that they want turned into a small XBLA/PSN style game (with a possible mobile counterpart). So now they've turned to me to essentially help produce it (and handle some of the animation but that's neither here nor there).

It's essentially a 2D game and is fairly simple compared to lots of games out there. It relies on a simplish but solid mechanic paired with good art.

So my question is sort of vague, but does anybody have any experience or tips with hiring programmers or having been hired for contract work before? Things to point out, things to avoid..that kinda thing. We're looking to hire 1-3 guys for work on this project only. Obviously if things go well we'd like to form a relationship for future projects.

I'm just unsure of how to approach hiring contract programmers and want to avoid any pitfalls if possible.