Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lethal trash
Feb 23, 2002
You will be subjected to freezing experiments in Dachau.
There was some talk about networking solutions, and if you are using Unity I can recommend Photon Dedicated Server. It has a dedicated server available which seemed quite functional with decent example code. The server is written in C# on top of a C++ dll, so it's easy to work with if you're already working with Unity. They also have a cloud based version of the server, which you can setup in minutes, with their custom Unity classes. I don't have a ton of experience with it but when I was checking it out a few months ago for a project it seemed like a pretty good way to set things up (I know nothing about networking).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lethal trash
Feb 23, 2002
At my office we've been having so many problems using git as our primary source control for all assets. So now we're looking at alternatives, those being Perforce and Plastic SCM. I don't think we'll be going with Perforce, so that really only leaves Plastic SCM. I tried it out a little bit last weekend for the LD30 and I was pretty pleased. It was fast, the error messages were helpful and everything worked nicely. I am wondering if anyone else has used Plastic and if they can share their experiences? If you've used it in a production environment even better. I really want to know about the gotchas that come after longer use.

lethal trash
Feb 23, 2002

Inverness posted:

Why are you leaving out Perforce? It's free for up to 20 users. Do you have more than that?

We have 15ish people depending on interns. I have tried perforce a number of times, and I never really liked the interface or the workflow. It is also not distributed so you have one server for all your assets as far as I know. Plastic SCM has a workflow much closer to git and is distributed and their interface is pretty sleek. I have also heard (but not understood why) that a lot of custom stuff has to be done to keep a perforce repo working.

Stick100 posted:

You might want to try a different git client. I found the git client from Github (it tells you nothing about what went wrong) to be horrible and most of my complaints with Git went away as soon as I started using SourceTree. Most people I know either use SourceTree or the Git command line itself.

Also what system are you using Unity or UE? If UE you might want to consider Peforce, it's what Epic itself uses and has a direct integration into the editor.

We're using Source Tree, and while it is considerably better than other git clients I still have a few qualms about it. We're in Unity so there are some options for in editor version control clients for both Perforce and Plastic.

Just to add, our project is a decent size already and git chokes on this stuff constantly. We've have the remote repository corrupted multiple times, and I probably spend a few hours a week helping troubleshoot git issues. I'm sure whatever we pick will have problems, but git just doesn't seem made to handle the our 50gb repo, which will grow to many times that size by the end.

Git for me on personal projects has been nothing but great, but as you get lots of binary assets and people working it becomes quite a mess. Plastic seems to be relatively unknown but they have some impressive tests and claims about the size and quantity of files the server supports.

lethal trash fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Aug 30, 2014

lethal trash
Feb 23, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What about async/await? Is that kosher?

Async-await works on android and iOS just fine, since the release of the updated .NET for Unity the teams at the company I work at have been moving over to async-await as quickly as possible for all asynchronous methods. Generally speaking it really improves the flow of the code for asynchronous calls such as those involving HTTP requests or any of the new Addressables API. You just need to be aware of the gotchas, such as remembering to pass in cancellation tokens and setting up try-catch on all async void methods (or lose your exceptions). Unless you're porting to something obscure I'd recommend getting into using async-await and the other nice features of newer .NET.