Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just stared using UE4. I've never done anything like this before well since using AMOS on my Amiga

anyway it's a steep learning curve but gently caress imagine before blueprints! anyway I am going to be asking some rudimentary fuckin questions I hope you don't mind. thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I love I though and haven't been this excited about something like this for ages: kinda sad in a way but yeah. made my rocket actually move!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is there an issue using this preview version of UE4 4.4 to start to develop on? I mean I know I'm very new and it's very likely by the time I start making what I really want to I'll start fresh anyway and it might not be preview by then but regardless is it difficult to import from say 4.3 to 4.4 or whatever?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dirty posted:

On the topic of engines, Blitz3D is now freely available. It's pretty ancient, DX7-based and Windows-only, but I had fun tinkering with it off and on over the past 10 years. It's a BASIC-type language with support for custom types. About 70% of my terrible half-finished projects were built in it. Not that I would encourage starting your game dev career with it, but if you're familiar with BASIC (but who is, these days?), it might be an option.

Holy poo poo they made Skidmarks for the Amiga with this back in the day and that fuckin game owned!

Inverness posted:

There shouldn't be enough changes from 4.3 to 4.4 that you would have any problems. There might be some API changes, but not major ones. I imagine that you would have to recompile if the binaries aren't compatible, but I can't even be sure on that. On the other hand I don't see the harm in starting with the 4.4 preview.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
anyone got any good guides or something on a general game development timeline? or the best way to do it? I have some great ideas and I have a very simple prototype but I just don't know where to start, and I don't want to so stuff and find out I've irreversibly done it out of order and have to back track significantly

in UE4 is a menu selection screen a "level"? and between levels how do you maintain consistency like, say credits or whatever?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

superh posted:

Alpha - playable, missing art and content
Beta - Content Complete and buggy
Release Candidate - done? QA
Gold Master - ship it!

Add second and thirds of any step as necessary. Timeframe vastly depends on scope.

E: In practice my games are never ever content complete by beta. I'm cramming that stuff in until the last minute. (Sorry QA!) Schedules, amirite?

Thanks, although what I was trying ask was more regarding, where's the best place to start? a complete game is much more than playing level and it all has to be done but yeah. I'm very new to this and have no idea what i am doing, just many ideas regarding what I want to do

So if I was using blender to make meshes, what do I do to "paint" them? and can they easily import back to UE4? it seems you can model in Ue4 but it looks quite simple

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

roomforthetuna posted:

He did kind of answer that. First step was Alpha: playable, missing art and content.

So your second question about Blender suggests that (going by that progression) you're already skipping to working on the beta, and you haven't got an alpha yet. Okay, superh probably didn't really mean missing all the art, but that's totally a viable way to go with indie development.

To some extent it depends on what sort of game you're planning - if you're making a point and click story game then sure, start with the graphics. If you're expecting to go "gently caress it I hate programming" and hire someone for that, start on the graphics. But if you're going for full indie, making everything yourself, I strongly recommend taking superh's timeline excessively literally. If you're touching Blender at all while making the alpha, you should be making a goddamn cube as a placeholder for whatever.

Also, if you can avoid it, don't start with menus, because they're soul-crushing. Make your thing start at the beginning of a level, get some mechanics happening, then do some polishing of your turd.

cool, I think I get it. maybe I should just jot down my great ideas instead of working on them until I'm ready to make that part of game instead of working on everything at once and achieving little.
maybe I'll get a few of the first levels working and then do a bit of art to make them tolerable. thanks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks yeah I think that's a good idea and kinda where my lack of talent should take me anyway.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
OK so hopefully some of you here have some experience with UE4 and can help me out with this incredibly frustrating set of problems, mostly revolving around and your main pawn etc. I managed to fluke this another time but I don't know what I am doing so I can't replicate it and I am getting hosed off to say the least!

I'll start by talking through the series of Actions I have done and maybe you can point out my problem.

So far I have my "rocket" blueprint and it has thrusters. I have a very basic level with some lights. I want my rocket to be my controlled pawn.

I created a new "Game mode" and put the default pawn as the blueprint to my rocket.
I then tried to put down a playerstart so hopefully when I hit "play" the idea is that my rocket pops there. Only this doesn't happen. I go to world settings and I have my rocketblueprint as the default pawn. I wish I knew how to get that part to work.

I can get around it by slopping down my rocket blue print on the level and selecting auto-possess, and so now when I hit start I am viewing through the camera in my blueprint and it looks ok, only I still can't take any input.

In the rocket-blueprint I have some inputs set up in the graph to turn on the boosters and the lights. In the project settings I made a input "CWThrust and CCWThrust" and connected them to keys. They don't work. So I added hard-coded inputs into the blueprint and they don't work either. If I bring up the blueprint when I am "playing" I can't see the inputs flowing, so I think the problem isn't that my blueprint is hosed but that the inputs aren't going there.

I've also tried making a playercontroller blueprint but this doesn't help. And everywhere I can I have set the input to player0 (which should be me)

I find this whole input thing a total mess and haven't found a decent tutorial or read-up on how you're meant to do inputs properly at all, because I feel like I'm just trying things here and there and sometimes it works and I want to know how to do it properly. I'm sure when I have it sorted in retrospect it'll be very clear but right now it isn't at all. It doesn't help that most of the tutorials kind of skip this part

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
OK so I worked out that I could auto-possess with my rocket-pawn and so player-start now plops down my rocket but I can't for the life of me work out how to make my rocket take input!!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it's just occurred to me that I have not once looked at the level blueprint so maybe the key is in there

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BabelFish posted:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Gameplay/Input/index.html take a look at the input stack diagram, turns out they put the pawn at the bottom, so you might be consuming input higher up.

thanks! I worke out that if I put my pawn blueprint on the level that worked BUT I want for the player to be able to choose different pawns for the level so ultimately I need it to work through player start

I comb the example levels and can't honestly work out what I'm not doing, especially since it seems like they've left a lot of those settings as default AND it works fine

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well I wouldn't have jumped on if it wasn't for this and clearly having me around is worth it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't touched a single line of C++ (or any code) so far and have made a game where I have a rocket that thrusts around.

I get the impression that for 99% of the things you might want to do, you can use the new blueprint system. Having an idea of how coding works etc really helps of course because it's basically "visual coding" but you don't have to worry about any poo poo like syntax etc, and it immediately lets you know if what you're doing will work or not.

Get into it. seriously

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

OneEightHundred posted:

Also "physically-based" is an annoying buzzword.

Why? There is a difference between trying to make things look right and trying to emulate how the work in the real world (with the outcome being they look right)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I can't say for certain but it's easy enough to launch it as it's own task

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

roomforthetuna posted:

I hate the change as a game player. Guild Wars was beautiful with its unrealistic visuals, and could run on half a brick and a piece of string. Oblivion (which I think of as the start of 'physical' rendering) looked like drab poo poo by comparison and required half a solar system to power the graphics card to produce that poo poo.

As very very amateur entry in this and as someone who has enjoyed loving around in 3D programs since I was a actual child, I love the potential of what we have. Oblivion may have been an artistic vision gone sad perhaps, but what I am personally seeing and getting out of UE4 is making me incredibly happy. Once you have a nice physical framework available you can then spend your time twisting that poo poo so you're making things that are maybe theoretically possible in nature, but never ever do (or could) occur, and using a physical based system for this just makes everything look so much nicer

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Xerophyte posted:

no one is really talking about rendering games through interactive path tracing just

what's the name of that real time path tracing engine? it looks very nice but when things move it take a second to build up again but it's definitely got potential in a few years id imagine

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Xerophyte posted:

I think you're thinking about Brigade which is a very nice toy but not that close to 60 Hz without noise. Of course, with path tracing you could just thread the poo poo out of it and throw more power at the problem but I don't think that gaming on a 1k+ CPU cluster is going to take off just yet either...

Sometimes when when using UE4 it feels like its path tracing reflections, because it sometimes takes a second for the reflection to resolve when you stop moving.

What if they used the path tracing for the lighting but mixed it with more standard rendering for the colour, or something? I'm sure much smarter people than me are working on this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

evilentity posted:

How LD30 going along? Heres my entry: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-30/?uid=26880
2d platformer player in terminal and written in Go.

In other news ive bought $20 worth of ads for my horrible android game, and got a whopping 7 clicks. I think im doing it wrong.

you paid for ads? aren't they meant to pay you?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BabelFish posted:

Check out the Epic example game "Flappy Chicken" (it's available on most of the mobile marketplaces.) That was originally done by a single artist in a week or two.

it's calle clicky something. and it depresses me that it took a whole week

I'm trying to make an entire game in ue4 with blueprints only. as a total newbie there is a lot to learn but I'm finally getting some fundamental grasps and it would be easy to hack it out but I am achieving a framework where add content easily without having to copy and paste madly and cause all sorts of hard work for myself later on*. I'm really proud of the progress I an making and the potential

* which is not the kind of advice I am getting on the unreal forums etc. those guys are like, don't bother with play controllers, just copy and paste yor controlled code into vehicle, and it's like, what if I want to change something. redundancy sucks and makes life hard for yourself

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 26, 2014

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
TBF that is static lighting only, and if I recall, cranked up the settings in the .ini above what is standard. Amazing to be sure, but I really wanna see some dynamic movement in there, not quite at the stage where we are playing games in that environment.. YET

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 28, 2014

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tehsid posted:

He does a little dynamic lighting/shadows in this video. And it still looks amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWY4gtLG8sY

And his rain shader test looks neat, but it still looks... off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC0PdspqNYk

oh yeah I never noticed before. Even more amazing!

I've been playing around with static vs stationary lights and the framerate difference is amazing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RizieN posted:

Moving our conversation here! Got my appointment with the UE4 tutor guy tonight, I'm going to see if we can re-do my weapons system and third person aim offsets in an hour, if not I have a back up hour paid for so I can go over time if need be. I'll probably stream my whole session to twitch tonight (twitch.tv/nuzzletops) at 9PM EST, if you want to check it out. I'm going to start migrating things kind of into what you're doing, so that it's modular and upgradeable. I was just going to make a fun single player version of my grand idea, then worry about making it multiplayer and poo poo later, but while I've got this programming guru dude I might as well start from the ground up in a proper fashion.

unfortch 9pm EST is 1pm for me and during my lunch, I would love to have watched it, thanks for the offer. Keen to know how you're going about making it modular etc. for whatever reason I feel content spending time making things upgradeable and editable, probably because I have better skills doing that than making content itself

Right now I am all about the cameras. Trying to sort out how to control the camera with the player controller, and then make macros or function libraries or something so when I make a new level [this applies to ships too] I add as little redundant code as possible . I've already made a ship spawning macro so my new level only have to call the function and give it the starting player location and it automatically spawns a ship on that location. I need to move the possession code into the function too. i find it satisfying to have as much code in functions and macros and reusable as possible.

echinopsis posted:

a visual from some of the latest stuff I am working on

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm thinking about Source Control purely as a backup (I am a 1 man thing) so based on this discussion I can't work out which is the easiest and best AND FREEEST for UE4

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Inverness posted:

Git would work fine for that since you wont be passing huge repos around among a team.

Thanks. I believe I need a plugin for UE4 right?

by Git do you mean GitHub? Or is that just a "brand" of Git? Or do you recommend another one?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress I tried to install git and the plugin wouldn't work so I uninstalled it and now my project won't start up without it! shiieeeeeet this is why I needed it in the first place

Imma copy all the stuff but replace the project file see if that fixes it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
God thank gently caress for that. You should be able to turn off plugins somehow without having to go into the editor because I've done this before with another plugin that didn't work

Inverness posted:

Git is a distributed version control system. GitHub is a website for hosting Git repositories and providing features around that.

You don't need to use GitHub. You can create a Git repository and just keep it local without pushing it anywhere. You don't need to use GitHub or Bitbucket unless you want to back things up externally and share with others. GitHub does not actually allow you to create private repositories for free. Bitbucket does though.

Righto..

I think for my sanities sake I will try to use one UE4 handles natively

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Inverness posted:

Someone might have made a Git plugin for UE4.

Edit: Now that I read what you said in more detail. Can you elaborate on the trouble you had. You first should learn to use Git before you try to integrate it into your workflow. Just tossing it in is asking for trouble. I don't even know how UE4 handles version control.

If you tried to get a Git plugin without actually getting Git you probably had trouble.

Because I "turned on" the plugin in UE4 it then expected it to be there next time and when it wasn't it wouldn't open. I had installed GitHub, assuming that would install Git

I gave up. I am a failure. I just using dropbox :smugmrgw:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BabelFish posted:

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/marketplace-now-open-for-business

Epic's put the first batch of user-made content into their marketplace. Should be interesting to see how it grows.

Yes, hopefully not with heaps of crap

edit: Their servers must be getting hammered I am getting 30kb/s :cry:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that owns and of course the 5% should still apply

the more people that use it the better it will get. even last night I made some great strides with understanding how to do things. made some homing rockets that run a simple algorithm

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
until now . how long until they chase that path? ue4 just became the de facto engine for anyone to learn in

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
All I know is that I am high on UE4 and nothing can bring me down

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wish they'd put the material editor as a standalone app for iPhone so you can make sweet materials on-the-run

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
e: gently caress

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The reason I am so into game development and computers is that when you put in the time and theory you get awesome poo poo like that. You cna acheive your dreams

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Thankfully the devs are solid working away improving things!

The lighting is amazing when static but not as such when it's dynamic. i find the mix of the two unsettling at times. also the default temporal AA doesn't work for my game and there aren't many other options for tuning it!

blueprints are amazing though and also the way you can use them, make a object that is a wall with lights built in and have the wall build it's own colours and yeah I am stoked l have made rockets that fire and follow my pawn and they run by themselves! I am exite

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lowen SoDium posted:

curious about how another C# programmer feels about it.

Me too! Because I don't "get" my OOP so well, blueprints let me keep trying things till they work. It would be a MUCH slower process with code. For a seasoned coder who made little errors I can't imagine much benefit in them.

Currently my disappointment is with how temporal AA is not suitable for something I am trying to do (leaves artifacts) but it overall looks much nicer than FSAA which I'm left using. Welp

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Programmer Humor posted:

One nice feature in Unreal I've found is you can do all kinds of procedural adding of Static Meshes based on variables in the construction script. These show up in the editor and can have static light calculated on them, etc, very nice. You can even have little vector variables you adjust by moving them around like any other object.

I also tried doing the same with C++, but it seems like OnConstruction, the C++ "equivalent" of a construction script, is rerun when the game starts so even if the editor lets you calculate light on your procedurally generated content, it's thrown away as soon as the game starts. Too bad.

yes definitely you could use this to create blueprints that make blocks of level procedurally. I haven't done it yet myself but a lot of work up front would come out with fast level building tools if you did it with enough flexibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
one of the first blueprint tutorials is about procedural level generation and they make a wall making BP like that. it's inspirational