Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Does anyone have an opinion of PyGame vs Soya? I'm reading through the Soya documentation and it seems pretty well fleshed out whereas pygame has always seemed a little clunky to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice
Does anyone have a good resource of free game friendly models? I've tried :google: but everything I find is high vertex stuff.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice

Mustach posted:

Do you want to learn how to implement games or do you want to make games? The answer will affect what people recommend — programming languages and libraries, versus engines and programs like Game Maker.

Check out Unity 3D. The newest version adds support for windows. It's not free but there is a 30 day trial and an indy license is only 200 dollars.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice

ValhallaSmith posted:

I've been trying this out as well now that it supports authoring on windows. Its very handy for simple stand alone games and is about the only reasonable game in town for browser 3d games. Short of requiring someone to DL a plugin for each game.

I didn't think I'd like it at first but after about a week of working with it (only a couple hours a night) I've got the basic framework of an RTS going. I'm leaning very heavily towards picking up the license once the trial runs out.