Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004

OneEightHundred posted:

As far as physics synchronization goes, it is critical to do in properly in some games, especially those with VEHICLES, and there are ways to do it. BF2 does it by using delayed synchronous player movement, Unreal does it by running two simulations and using some hacky stuff to kick players out of vehicles when they get run over.

Are there any presentations or official info how BF2 and Unreal 3 handle vehicles and physics? I've only dealt with Half-Life 2, and they didn't even bother trying to implement client-side prediction for vehicles. HL2's vehicles only run on the server, and you end up with laggy vehicle controls when driving one. If you try to implement client-side prediction, then you find out that the client physics don't really match up with the server physics even when running your own listen server. BF2 and Unreal 3 on the other hand have vehicles that perform very well with no sense of lagging vehicle controls, and I wonder if it's just that one has to plan ahead of time for client-side prediction of vehicle physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004
Does anyone have any experience with collision detection? I'm using GJK to determine if two objects collide and then ray tracing out of the Minkowski Difference of the two shapes to get the penetration depth and normal. I now realize that I need to get the faces that are in contact because the normal can be from either shape when I only want the contact normal from one specific shape. Does anyone have an idea on the most efficient way to do that? Redo the same ray trace except on only the shape I want?