Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

very
Jan 25, 2005

I err on the side of handsome.

Pfhreak posted:

Can anyone point me to resources (or give me some pointers [HA! programming joke!]) on managing 2D navigation?

It really depends on what kind of terrain you are talking about and how your characters move. Can you give us a better idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

very
Jan 25, 2005

If you are crazy about timing then here's Stepmania's Win32 GetMicrosecondsSinceStart()/InitTimer() etc... on google code search which is pretty cool. It also has implementations for many other platforms.

very
Jan 25, 2005

shodanjr_gr posted:

Can someone give me some practical tips on collision detection for 3D games?

Any links to tutorials, info, etc?

Find a good library. We use bullet.

very
Jan 25, 2005

I know this was from a couple pages ago, but the Blender 2.5 alpha's interface is really nice. Every command can be found through a type-to-search interface. So if you know you need to extrude, use the search to type "extrude" to find the shortcut key or just use the function from there. I don't know how stable it is, though. I like it much better than Maya, which I find to be as cryptic as anything else.