Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Morpheus posted:

So I've been doing some random collision detection stuff, testing out 2D collision on rotatable objects with a rectangular bounding box, squares, circles, all that stuff. And it got me thinking about how one would do something else: I'm kind of curious how to do collision detection with something that doesn't rotate around a central pivot. Like a door. Lets say you had a door that could open and close, but you wanted the player to collide with it even if it was open. What would you do for that?

What I am thinking of, with my limited experience, is simply having the Door return a different bounding box depending on if it's opened of not. If it's closed, then return a rectangle near the 'bottom' of the door. Otherwise, return a rectangle to the 'side' of the door if it's opened. Does this make any sense? This does allow the player to walk through the door as it's animating, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem unless it's sloooow.

A quick and dirty way of handling it is to do multiple passes. Have a single bounding box that encompasses both open and closed states. If it collides with that then investigate further into what state is the door in (It could be transitioning states) and what would the size of the box be for that state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Corrupted Cable posted:

Lately I've been wondering how character creation sliders ( like those in oblivion and most of todays new games ) are coded/done. I searched around and found very few articles on the subject.

If anyone got articles, examples of code or some hints ( whatever that is of help ), please reply.

Note: I'm refering to those sliders for thin/fat, long/short etc etc...

Pretty sure they just adjust the length / distance between two bones... Try: http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=483773&seqNum=3

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Orzo posted:

If it's tile based and you're really only doing a handful of calculations (one for your lantern and one for each nearby torch) per tile, you should be fine. That's a very, very small amount of processing. Your optimization seems simple and rational as well.

Plus being tile based like that I assume there will be a movement animation? So you have the entire movement to calculate the new lights and they won't change until the next movement...

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Anyone remember a website that was a place for people to suggest games that should be written? It went from incredibly detailed to increidbly vague 1 line suggestions?

I think it had a tree navigation like:

Front page:
Simulation
Sports
Puzzle
Action
RPG
Fighting
FPS
Then under FPS:
Team based
Squad based
solo
online only
etc...

Been meaning to poke through things to find something to work on lately...

EDIT: It was on reddit not here that I read it and the site is http://www.halfbakery.com/category/Computer

Hughlander fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 1, 2010

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Anyone using Panda3D?

I've started looking into it but the documentation on their site is both a blessing and a curse. Every little thing is documented, but not in a way that is helpful for someone new trying to start out with it.

I've found this resource:
http://www.mygamefast.com/

I am currently considering picking myself up a copy of http://www.packtpub.com/panda3d-16-game-engine-beginners-guide/book

Anyone use that/have any impressions? Anyone have any other resources for building a game completely with Panda3D? I can do parts, but there is also quite a bit of gaps in my knowledge of the engine. I'm trying to get considerably better at Python which should help a lot but hope someone else has found some better resources.

I worked on it professionally a few years ago, at that time it wasn't well supported outside of Disney and CMU, not sure if that changed, from what I can tell PyGame is the hotness for Python game development, but that's not to say that it's any better or worse than Panda, just a bigger support base from what I've seen.

Have you seen http://inventwithpython.com/ ? It's a blog/book about PyGame/Python.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Can you elaborate on how scalable Panda3D was in your professional experience? So far I've really enjoyed messing around with it; but traversing the scene graph and working with instancing seems like it is handled somewhat poorly and can get out of hand very quickly. Confirm/Deny?

Not really, all of my experience is now 5 years out of date, and the version that supported shaders had just come out. I remember that in general it was more academic than practical despite shipping a game with it. IE: Features were written for completeness but never actually used and as such didn't work (as expected or at all.) I haven't kept up with development since early 2006 though.

Also don't take pygame as a recommendation, just as an alternative, I know it exists and I follow that blog, but mostly just because I like reading a lot of different things, I've never even downloaded pygame :)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Twernmilt posted:

I'm working on a cooperative multiplayer game for fun over the summer. I'm to the point where I need to start making sure my networking code is sufficient over the Internet rather than just on my LAN. My current plan is to add some attributes to the server that will randomly either delay sending a message(to simulate latency) or fail to send it if it's UDP(to simulate packet loss) with a set probability.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this approach? Is there a better way to simulate Internet traffic on my LAN?

What I normally do is 3 fold.

1) Introduce Latency to every packet
2) Drop a random % of packets
3) Create a network spike. (Delay a series of packets and then have them all arrive rapidly)

Better answer though, unless you're trying particularly to create a netengine, I'd look at protocol buffers or EFNet or something similar and consider networking a solved problem.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Twernmilt posted:

I think I'm having NAT issues. I can establish a TCP connection between two processes on the same machine via the "localhost" address, but I can't establish a connection via my router's external IP address. I have the correct port forwarded to the server. Is there something obvious at the software level that I should be looking at? This does sound like an issue with the router and not something I can easily deal with in code, yes?

Few things to check:

1) What address are you binding to? Make sure it's inaddr_any and not inaddr_loopback or something similar.
2) Is it Windows? Is the windows firewall blocking?
3) Can you put any other device on the local network and see if that can connect? (IE: take the router forwarding the port out of the equation.)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have some more physics questions, having hacked through some more Bullet stuff; I think I found a bug in the Irrlicht wrapper that I worked around and I don't know why the (0, y, 0) -> (180, y, 180), but I've worked around them. I am wondering now how collision is generally done for, say, melee attacks. Right now my player model and my enemy are wrapped up in spheres, and that does a decent job of keeping them on the ground. But now I have it set up so the player can hit a button and take a swing. The animation for the swing exits the bounding sphere. How are collisions generally handled here with an enemy?

It's going to feel like crap if the hit only registers if, say, I have hit the button while the two spheres are in contact. Because the enemy could very will toggle their animation too and we'll be pelting away at each other without the swords from other animation actually touching anything. Is this where you switch to a more specific binding method to test collisions? Or generally is it still approximated?

You can put a bounding box around the weapon itself, and test if that box intersects the sphere. If it does then you can do a closer test to see if it hits the model itself, (possibly or not taking into account the current animation) and then treat it as a hit. Games I've worked on in the past used two bounding boxes around the model for the gross scale world tests, then used a capsule system around the animation nodes for the fine grained test of 'did it really hit' and 'what did it hit'

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How was the weapon bounding box information fed into the engine? Was it a part of the model, or was it calculated in real time? Or something else?

It was complicated from what I remember there was a whole weapon collision system that handled it. I guess the simple way was 'calculated in real time' as different parts of the animation would affect it's shape and size, as well as player input. (If you swapped to the block button from the strike button it could collide but not do damage even if it was part of the attack swing.)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Anyone have a good reading list of network related papers / articles / books / libraries that they can info dump on me?

I decided I want to do a P2P UDP library and wanted to see what's been written discussed already. I've already read the QuakeWorld, Unreal, and uhhh Source I think? Papers that are floating around, plus looked at RakNet, but wondering what else exists out there.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

OneEightHundred posted:

Check the discussion starting at the end of page 91.

Peer-to-peer games work fundamentally differently from client-server architectures. Client-server architectures send input state from clients to the server and the server sends world state back. Peer-to-peer sends only input states and reconstructs a consistent world state by having everybody run the same simulation based on the same input.

It needs the input of all players to run a frame and will stall if it doesn't have it. You can prevent stalls by buffering input for a few frames, but that will make things less responsive.

You can handle prediction more or less the same way you'd handle it in a client-server architecture, except instead of world state from the server overriding the predicted state, world state from the synchronized simulation overrides.

Yah at the moment I'm thinking of not really handling it for the game state itself but for pre-game lobby, matchmaking. Just want to start small. I think I just skimmed past those pages when I got back from my honeymoon, thanks I went over them again and grabbed some more URLs to read about.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I went to post this in the Unity thread, only to realize that I couldn't find it and maybe I just imagined it. So if there is a dedicated Unity thread can someone point me to it and I'll move this there?

Anyway, I just came across this... Hack n Slash RPG in Unity Tutorial It's a two hundred forty-three episode long video tutorial on how to make an rpg in unity from the ground up. Pretty drat amazing.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

OneEightHundred posted:

To add on to this, if you're doing a client-server network game, record the initial world state and all state updates received from the network.

Heck any network game.

If you're doing peer to peer you just need to do it even more. One good thing is to come up with a hashing or crc of the entire world state/input so you can quickly verify that everyone (All clients if appropriate, server if appropriate, and save game stream) agrees with the state.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

The Fool posted:

You mean 7 people over two years?
http://supergiantgames.com/?page_id=2

However, the use of XNA is pretty incredible, also, it's apparently all 2d and painted. Gorgeous looking game.

Of which two are listed as engineers.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Anyone play around with libgdx? I'm using it's 2d scenegraph functionality for an android game. So far I like the model in general, you can target android or desktop (or even webstart obviously) just by a few small (They say 5 line!) launcher class per platform. It has native jars for android and win32, does opengl es 2.0, and is basically just a framework not a game engine. FPS compared with andengine seems really good for benchmarks but who knows what that translates to in reality.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Physical posted:

Also C# = Java + .Net (to me anyway.) Thats the first thing I thought of when I started C# 2 years ago. I programmed in Java for a college class in like 2006 and hadn't touched it since. Then I started with C# and was like "holy poo poo a better name for this would be MSJava."

From http://james-iry.blogspot.com/2009/05/brief-incomplete-and-mostly-wrong.html

1996 - James Gosling invents Java. Java is a relatively verbose, garbage collected, class based, statically typed, single dispatch, object oriented language with single implementation inheritance and multiple interface inheritance. Sun loudly heralds Java's novelty.

2001 - Anders Hejlsberg invents C#. C# is a relatively verbose, garbage collected, class based, statically typed, single dispatch, object oriented language with single implementation inheritance and multiple interface inheritance. Microsoft loudly heralds C#'s novelty.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Vinterstum posted:

I'm not sure how meaningful Java's cross-platform-ness is these days, really. It's not like we're drowning in Win/OSX/Linux cross-platform Java apps on the desktop, and in the enterprise market you're developing for a specific platform anyway. Minecraft is pretty much the only game I can think of that I've played recently which has been multi-platform due to Java. For a game, you're just as cross-platform in C++ as long as you pick the right libraries to use. Or even more so, due to iOS/XBox/PS3.

libgdx for android/desktop development is fairly meaningful to me.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Physical posted:

My god. My ability to independently see through the bullshit is at superhuman strength.

You realize of course the link you quoted was humor right? Particularly since it starts with:
1801 - Joseph Marie Jacquard uses punch cards to instruct a loom to weave "hello, world" into a tapestry. Redditers of the time are not impressed due to the lack of tail call recursion, concurrency, or proper capitalization.

Unless of course you thought reddit was around in 1801 :)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

OneEightHundred posted:

I'm looking at it from a "this costs, at minimum, a third of a junior programmer's yearly salary and will take another month or two to integrate" perspective, which means it should probably be used for more than fade-outs and occasionally moving 2D sprites across the screen.

It's amazing how bad some studios are with that though. I was on a project that spent 3 months of a Jr developers time implementing a sound system that had lots of bugs. Cost to license Miles for that title? 2 weeks of the Jr developers time. Take another 2 weeks to implement it and it wouldn't have had anywhere near the bugs we lived/shipped with.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

More questions about my favorite topic in this thread: component-based design. I now have entities and components and they're working together for the most part. I foresee some dependency problems though. I have one component that represents position and some other components are interested in position within the entity. I define the position first, so I get lucky here, and I also try to make sure any components relying on information from other ones will not fall apart if the information is not there yet. I wondered at a more general design level if there's something better I could be doing.

The one thought I had was each component would get a message when there were live. At that moment they then should be able to get all the information they needed. I can think of hypothetical situations with things like circular dependencies where this still might not work.

At this point I think it's not really worth the effort to worry about though. Where I think problems might show up is when I get entities loading from templates. There I don't think I can always guarantee a safe order anymore.

One consideration for that specific issue though not the problem itself. Many proponents of an entity system place the position in the world in the game object, not in any of the components. I remember reading one paper where it was basically "Position, and list of components" was the entirety of the object.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

poemdexter posted:

Interesting. But what about inventory items? Or NPC chat messages, or things that don't require a position?

I think his definition of a game object started with "Things that are in the scene graph." As such any object that's in the scene graph has a position. I'll dig up the paper I read it in, I read a bunch of them over the weekend so off hand can't remember which it was...

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Many pages ago there was some discussion about software for creating programmer/starting art for projects. I wish I had kept it but I lost track of it. Anyone have some suggestions? I'm looking to make some 2d art for menus and a simple 2d game in flash/for mobile devices. I thought Google Sketch-Up was mentioned but that seems to be specifically orientated towards 3d modeling...

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Scaevolus posted:

I strongly recommend using Python instead of PHP if at all possible.

I'd go as far as to say a Python framework, Django, Pyramid, etc... I've done FB projects both ways and PHP is such an abortion of a language that you'll spend far more time on it then you ever wished to if you want to write bug-free code without side-effects.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Contero posted:

A year ago I had written a small game in C++ that used TCP for network communication. My simple game protocol worked like this:

1. Read two 32b ints worth of data, first one is opcode for type of packet, and second is how many bytes of data follow.
2. Read the number of bytes specified in step 1

The bytes were then passed to the appropriate constructor function which initialized the proper data structure.

This seemed like a foolproof protocol to me, since even if you messed up the serialization code it didn't matter and you couldn't get out of sync on how many bytes were written to or read from the socket.

And it worked about 99% of the time, but sometimes it would get out of sync. The code would somehow read or write too many or too few bytes and I'd start reading bytes that weren't supposed to be headers. I debugged my code forever and I never figured out what was wrong.

I haven't looked at the code in forever, but I'm going to start writing something similar and I thought I'd ask:

Is there some bad assumption I'm making about TCP here? Is there a way that this could get out of sync due to TCP not flushing, packet size or MTU or something? I'd think the worst possible case would be a server or client hanging waiting for bytes to be sent if the other end's OS didn't send them right away.

Probably you sent multiple packets and your receive got cut off mid packet. What you want is something more like:

code:

// These 3 will return false if the socket would block before reading in the max amount
bool GetPacketIDFromSocket(int& nPacketID);
bool GetPacketLenFromSocket(int& nPacketLen);
bool GetPacketFromSocket(char* szPacketBuffer, const int nMaxAmount, int& nActualAmountRead);

while(try_readpacket())
    {
        do_packet();
    }
bool ClassName::try_readpacket()
{
    if(!m_bGotPacketId())
    {
        bool bWouldBlock = GetPacketIDFromSocket(m_CurrentPacket);
        if(bWouldBlock) return false;

m_bGotPacketId = true;
    }

if(!m_bGotPacketLen)
    {
        bool bWouldBlock = GetPacketLenFromSocket(m_PacketLen);
        if(bWouldBlock) return false;
    }

int nAmountToRead = m_PacketLen - m_AmountRead;
    int nAmountActuallyRead = 0;
    bool bWouldBlock = GetPacketFromSocket(m_PacketBuffer[m_AmountRead], nAmountToRead, nAmountActuallyRead);
    if(bWouldBlock)
    {
        m_AmountRead += nAmountActuallyRead;
        return false;
    }

// Got the entire packet
    m_AmountRead = 0;
    m_bGotPacketId = false;
    m_bGotPacketLen = false;
    return true;
}

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Hanpan posted:

So I'm trying to find a decent 2D engine / framework to learn that is capable of creating games like Super Meat Boy or Dustforce. I'm avoiding XNA because I want to be able to develop on a mac and export to multiple platforms but Pygame just doesn't have the performance I am looking for.

It seems SDL is fairly decent but is there some kind of framework that has physics, sprite management and such ready to go? I'm not sure I can stomach having to start completely from scratch.

I also looked into using Construct 1 as I've heard it's quite capable but it appears to of disappeared with the dawn of Construct 2.

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, I'll throw my hat in the ring with my latest favorite... LibGdx It's designed for cross platform Java desktop (Native implementations of Windows, Linux, OS/X), and Android is under constant development, and much like PlayN they're even doing an HTML5 back-end. It includes an awesome Box2d wrapper that a lot of other Android frameworks use, bimaped fonts, batched and cadched sprite rendering, a particle system, tile map rendering, a separate scene graph with tweening framework that's great for UIs etc...

This forum has a set of posts of released and unreleased games that people have made with it.

I've been using it for a few sample home projects and find it so easy to work with. It's one of the better layed out engines I've dealt with professionally or casually.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Hanpan posted:

Hey, just wanted to say that I ended up giving this a go and it's loving awesome. I like how similar it is to Processing and Canvas (if you choose it to be, that is) and how easy it is to integrated with Tile Map Editor. I wonder if there is any way of getting it to work with XCode, I never really liked Eclipse on Mac.

Glad it's working out for you. I personally use IntelliJ Community Edition over Eclipse, but I haven't tried XCode at all.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

xgalaxy posted:

You can setup VMware with OSX and run simulator on that.
Kind of slow though unless you have a decent computer.

I did this for awhile before I caved and got a macmini.
Now I just wish synergy wasn't a piece of poo poo.

If you find a good solution to Synergy being poo poo let me know. I went to a windows only solution. (Input Director I believe). But miss my Osx/Linux support.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Zhentar posted:

I've had pretty good luck with a Synergy 1.4.2 server on Windows, and a OS X 1.3.1 client. The only problems I've had are that I have to manually start the Windows server (since the automatic stuff can't handle the escalations, and that sending the cursor to the client while in Remote Desktop will leave my cursor trapped on the client with no escape.

Just to derail some more, problems I've had with synergy:

- Vista/Win7 client, no way to unlock computer
- Any program that uses relative mouse locations on the client doesn't work out of the box
- Clipboard would occasionally become 'stuck' between client and server and not update

Any idea if those are fixed? I just left Synergy in the last month due to #1

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Are there any papers or GDC talks on security in a Freemium game? I'm starting to think about ways of authenticating/validating unlocks/purchases but would like to read/watch anything that's already public...

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

OneEightHundred posted:

Most freemium games run the actual game on hosted servers in which case it's as trivial as requiring a registered account to play and only allowing unlocked items to be used.

Games run on private servers (i.e. TF2, BF Heroes) generally rely on servers being compliant and doing the same thing, but have to concede modded servers being able to get around it eventually and the most you can do is delist them.

I haven't played Battlefield Heroes yet, but what I mean specifically is what is the security around the generation of Valor Points on a private server? What's to stop me from running a private server and reporting the generation of Valor points through completing missions? Or to have a script running 24/7 that every 60 minutes I gained 60 valor points or whatever the expected 'average' amount of points per unit of time is? If there's a reward for doing a specific mission, what's to stop someone from saying they did that mission on a private server, etc...

My concern is when not playing on a hosted server a player claims to have gotten an unlock that could normally cost a micropayment but is also available through player action (Completing a challenge/mission, spending xp/Valor points/Unlock points, etc...) and hacking that message instead of doing the actually earning.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ShinAli posted:

I was in the closed beta for a bit since GDC and I like it well enough (haven't been any support to test on Vita until this morning) in terms of API and such. I've bitched about it in the Vita thread but the big thing that I hate hate hate hate is the memory limit, which is stupidly restrictive. You're given 96mb, which you have to split between heap and "resource" memory (meaning audio AND video). It gets even dumber that there is no support of texture compression as well. It's all setup so you can have one exe that runs on all PS Suite platforms.

Hey, Sony doing any form of Unified Memory is something to cheer about, not bitch. Going from 360 having 512 memory for heap/resource as you put it to having Sony have 256 heap, 256 video is always a shock.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

OneEightHundred posted:

On that topic though, one thing I'm still struggling with is how any modern physics engine interacts with this, especially for things that pretty much have to use the rigid body simulator (i.e. vehicles). Doom 3 went open-source recently, but its physics system is capable of iterating single objects which seems somewhat unusual. Bullet for example only iterates the full scene and has a fixed time step. From what I gather, this is pretty typical, and it looks like it MIGHT be possible to mass disable/enable objects to isolate the simulation, but I have no idea if this is true or not.

An engine I've used had two physics systems built in. Havok and a home-grown one. Havok was run on all clients and handled tons of locally simulated object that wouldn't impact game-play. (In an office environment for example you could shoot computer monitors and keyboards and poo poo around all day and each client would simulate them on their own and who cares if they weren't all in the same place on the every system.) Anything that impacted game-play however was done on the server only and then position rotation were updated to the player through a prediction system that the player objects themselves used. This was mostly limited to projectiles and vehicles.

Wasn't the greatest system, but it was a workable one.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

How about an mmo? The "John loving Madden" World of warcraft flow chart of how to be a feral druid maxxing raid dps?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Shalinor posted:

So long as a community builds up around it, it would at least provide another viable open-source alternative to Unity3D/UDK. One with an actual toolset, even.

Right now, there's... what, OGRE, Irrlicht maybe, Crystal Space 3D maaaaybe, and... eh... ?

I'd put Panda 3d in same group as OGRE. At this point in the century libgdx and cocos-2d(x) as well probably.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Nvidia presentation on it: http://developer.download.nvidia.com/GTC/PDF/GTC2012/PresentationPDF/S0361-GTC2012-Lossless-Data-Compression.pdf Apparently pbzip2 will increase in decompression with multiple CPUs but not to the same degree as compression according to another paper I found. I use pbzip2 all the time on a 16 core machine when I need to compress a SQL worklog 1TB in size...

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Beef posted:

I was more thinking of a solar system scale fleet combat game.
Relativity would affect the spread of information. For example, you jump into the system and it takes a few hours before the enemies actually know about it. In other words, information doesn't propagate instantly. A fleet-combat like game, think DEFCON like interface, is mostly about information, so I'm guessing that would make a fun gimmick.

Relativity could also play in a more indirect way. It makes it really hard to engage at longer ranges when individual ships are hitting 0.1 or 0.2 light speed. That can just be incorporated in the hit % or engagement ranges.

I finally got some free time to work on a project, that's after finishing more than a year of grueling work on my PhD. Should I better flesh out the idea before starting to prototype the thing?

Heck, I don't know of any game that includes traveling a solar system with Newtonian Physics... I kept thinking about an Honor Harrington RTS where at physics were Newtonian but with an acceleration rate measured in the hundreds of gs. Even then you'd probably want to play 90% of it at 100x speed or so.

"Ok, we've set our course, we're accelerating in 9 hours we'll be in weapons range! For oh 3 seconds."

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

xzzy posted:

Conversation caused some dark corner of my brain to conjure up memories of this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Art-Game-Programming-High-Speed/dp/1571690042

It's funny because it actually does try to be that one book that tells you everything you need to know to make a game.. and in general, fails at adequately describing much of anything. I got almost nothing out of it except a paperweight.. I bought on one of those "hey a book about games! I can do that!" whims and tried to read it, but really got nothing out of it.

The interesting bit is that (as I remember it) it tries to build everything from scratch and covers DOS era design methods, which could be interesting from an archaeological perspective.. give some background on what life was like before we could download engines by the dozen and hardware accelerated graphics were a rarity.

I knew without even clicking that it'd be by Andre LaMothe. Glad to see I was right.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Lazerbeam posted:

After learning a bit of Python I though I'd take a look at some game related modules, but I can't seem to get Pyglet nor Pygame to work. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but when trying to import pygame/pyglet I always just get the error message "no module named 'pygame/pyglet'". I'm using Python 3.3., Pyglet 1.2 alpha and pygame 1.9.2a. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

You probably have a miss-configuration in the location of the modules, it's going to be a python issue rather than a game dev issue so you may want to post it here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

That Turkey Story posted:

I'm sure very few people are using Clang as their primary compiler for games right now, particularly on windows, so at this point it's mostly just for dicking around and fantasizing about the future.

Other than everyone doing iOS? (And yes we do C++ 11 with it. Even lambadas.)