Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Scudworth posted:

They're down for everyone, the archive server is being moved to cloud storage. There's a sticky thread for fund raising this in every main subforum. Plus you get a sweet random words tag!

I guess I could have realized that if I weren't being so lazy. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's been probably close to 10 years now, but does anyone have a link to that thread where the guy would get a boner while making out, and crawl backwards out of the room like a cat to hide it?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

It's been probably close to 10 years now, but does anyone have a link to that thread where the guy would get a boner while making out, and crawl backwards out of the room like a cat to hide it?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2768183 classic

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm looking for a thread, it's a long while back. Basically a guy stole his dad's credit card and charged a poo poo ton on it and he had been hiding the bills I think? so the dad found out and he posted a letter that he was going to send to his dad.

As I recall the letter was basically "Yeah I hosed up dad, but it's kinda your fault too so here's how you're going to have to pay this off".

Related, anyone have the thread by the guy who had been telling his parents he was in police academy but had been using the money they sent him for video games and poo poo for 2 years and he was panicking on how to explain to them?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'm looking for a thread, it's a long while back. Basically a guy stole his dad's credit card and charged a poo poo ton on it and he had been hiding the bills I think? so the dad found out and he posted a letter that he was going to send to his dad.

As I recall the letter was basically "Yeah I hosed up dad, but it's kinda your fault too so here's how you're going to have to pay this off".

11 Easy Steps to Get Out of Debt

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Oh poo poo, thanks! I totally forgot the itemized list of poo poo he bought. Also I love how he asks for a car after telling his dad he just put him 40 grand in debt.

Mushinronsha
Apr 14, 2006

Please do not feed poinsettias to animals, its not good for them and I dont want PI to yell at me.

BrendianaJones posted:

I was trying to track down the old DIY Christmas gift threads, but archives seem to be down for me and I'm having trouble locating them.

2014 thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3684812
Links to previous years located in post number 6, but those require archives

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Anyone have the link to the thread where E/N superstars got drawn as cartoons and turned partly into a fighting game? I know it included a comic of the above story.

Shoulda went back 11 pages. Found it.

HiHo ChiRho has a new favorite as of 23:25 on Dec 16, 2015

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anybody have the link to the shameful snacks thread?

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

whiteyfats posted:

Anybody have the link to the shameful snacks thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550851

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

OK so this might not be the perfect thread to ask in (if there's a better one please point me that way) but years ago a dude posted a link to download his album for free in gbs. I think it was just the one dude with his piano for all of it, at least he had some youtube videos that were. The only lyric I can remember is "because no man is an island" but I remember really liking the whole album and no amount of googling is finding the right song and its bugging the hell out of me please help

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I wondered if anyone else remembered the photoshop thread that started with making light sabers limp, and turning them into floppy, glowing noodles. But then someone decided to make Mace Windu's light saber larger and more erect, then other people photo shopped his light saber bulging out of buildings, then the Earth, then getting into a fight with the Death Star, then bulging out of the galaxy, then penetrating the starship Voyager, followed by a picture of a scowling captain Janeway and a positive pregnancy test.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Phyzzle posted:

I wondered if anyone else remembered the photoshop thread that started with making light sabers limp, and turning them into floppy, glowing noodles. But then someone decided to make Mace Windu's light saber larger and more erect, then other people photo shopped his light saber bulging out of buildings, then the Earth, then getting into a fight with the Death Star, then bulging out of the galaxy, then penetrating the starship Voyager, followed by a picture of a scowling captain Janeway and a positive pregnancy test.

Hahaha, I don't remember that last part, but I do recall the thread, mainly for the first-page criticism of "ok, so what else are we supposed to photoshop here? The joke was pretty much covered on the OP", and I agreed and closed my tab. I had no idea it got good again, even briefly.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Does anyone have the old FYAD flag that is a gif of some cheesy word art that dramatically flies in, saying "WHAT IF I'M GAY?"

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Seizure Robot posted:

OK so this might not be the perfect thread to ask in (if there's a better one please point me that way) but years ago a dude posted a link to download his album for free in gbs. I think it was just the one dude with his piano for all of it, at least he had some youtube videos that were. The only lyric I can remember is "because no man is an island" but I remember really liking the whole album and no amount of googling is finding the right song and its bugging the hell out of me please help

Was this Satellite High? I remember he posted the Dad Rock EP in GBS a few years back.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I swear there was a thread called something similar to "Post your injuries" back around 2011 in GBS. I tried finding it, but no luck.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

I swear there was a thread called something similar to "Post your injuries" back around 2011 in GBS. I tried finding it, but no luck.

Post photos of your injuries - NMS!! (edit: the grossest GBS thread) pretty accurately named. You're going to need a waffleimages fix for most of it, though.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

That's the one. I was hoping to get the pics of my own injuries in there for story-telling purposes, but I don't know how to do the waffleimages thing. Ah well.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Picnic Princess posted:

That's the one. I was hoping to get the pics of my own injuries in there for story-telling purposes, but I don't know how to do the waffleimages thing. Ah well.

* How to do the Waffleimages thing *

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

That's super cool! Turns out my photos weren't even waffleimages, I just suck at searching. But that's a handy thing to know!

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
So, I've been searching, but I haven't been able to find a thread I started in the Ask/Tell forum some time ago. I was asking about something to do with fusion power for a story I was going to write. Now that I have time to write it, I can't find the thread. Could someone help?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Mycroft Holmes posted:

So, I've been searching, but I haven't been able to find a thread I started in the Ask/Tell forum some time ago. I was asking about something to do with fusion power for a story I was going to write. Now that I have time to write it, I can't find the thread. Could someone help?

Tried the forums search with "userid:162062 fusion" but it appears to have fallen into archives. Do you know when you started it (circa)?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
It was a goon electronic band/dj act. two dudes, their gimmick was wearing those creepy horse masks when they performed. who were they?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Tried the forums search with "userid:162062 fusion" but it appears to have fallen into archives. Do you know when you started it (circa)?

2013? 2014? It was a while ago.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Does anyone remember the thread(s) about how Dragonsven hated his wife and hit out in his room secretly smoking pot for years while never speaking to her?

I always wanted to find out what happened, but it wasn't a particularly interesting e/n thread so it didn't get a ton of attention and I wonder if anyone still has a link.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Does anyone remember the name of that children's book that was pictures of realistic horses drinking and smoking? I remember goons finding it and buying all the available Amazon stock in a few minutes, making it jump to the best-selling title for the day.

Edit: http://www.amazon.com/Latawnya-Naughty-Horse-Learns-Drugs/dp/0533091020
That's what I get for not trusting that Google would provide. Holy poo poo, this is apparently difficult to get a copy of.

dirksteadfast has a new favorite as of 23:55 on Jan 29, 2016

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I remember the Kuuenbu Helldump thread and someone posted a bunch of weird songs he did singing as a woman. The only audio I can find is the classic "Shut the gently caress up, Dad!" one but there was a bunch of other wacky poo poo I can't find.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Does anyone remember a CYOA thread a couple years ago (it must have been before GBS 2.0), the details of which were these:

The setup was that the OP found an old floppy disk of a beta version of a game that was never developed. You (the GBS collective) played the main character and followed him from birth until, presumably, death, and each year of his life was marked by a song title. The character the thread played was a kid named Ethan who had a little sister and among other things, had divorced parents and (I think?) at some point came out as gay.

I lost track of the thread after the character hit about age 20 or so, and I'm wondering if the game ever finished and how it turned out if so.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Does anyone remember a CYOA thread a couple years ago (it must have been before GBS 2.0), the details of which were these:

The setup was that the OP found an old floppy disk of a beta version of a game that was never developed. You (the GBS collective) played the main character and followed him from birth until, presumably, death, and each year of his life was marked by a song title. The character the thread played was a kid named Ethan who had a little sister and among other things, had divorced parents and (I think?) at some point came out as gay.

I lost track of the thread after the character hit about age 20 or so, and I'm wondering if the game ever finished and how it turned out if so.

The game was called "Moments" (with a subtitle I can't remember) and the OP was ExtraNoise, I believe. Awesome thread, btw.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Moments: A Game of Consequence.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The game was called "Moments" (with a subtitle I can't remember) and the OP was ExtraNoise, I believe. Awesome thread, btw.

You are both full of awesome. Thanks!

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Does anybody remember an LP thread of one of the Knight of the Old Republic games where the gimmick was that the player character was a 1930's gangster, complete with tommy gun?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Instant Sunrise posted:

Does anybody remember an LP thread of one of the Knight of the Old Republic games where the gimmick was that the player character was a 1930's gangster, complete with tommy gun?

Holy poo poo, this sounds awesome. Reminds me of the Xcom playthrough with Andrew Jackson and the Excombs.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Holy poo poo, this sounds awesome. Reminds me of the Xcom playthrough with Andrew Jackson and the Excombs.

...Got a link to this?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

...Got a link to this?

I should mention that Jackson was only part of it, but it's one of the best LPs to ever be done!

http://lparchive.org/X-COM-UFO-Defense/

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Anyone have that extremely detailed story about a train derailment that is caused by a truck stalled out on the tracks which ends with both conductors dead and the conclusion that "his cellphone was on at the time of the crash so he must have been texting."?

It's an oft requested quote, but Google is no help and I can't find it anywhere.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Talorat posted:

Anyone have that extremely detailed story about a train derailment that is caused by a truck stalled out on the tracks which ends with both conductors dead and the conclusion that "his cellphone was on at the time of the crash so he must have been texting."?

It's an oft requested quote, but Google is no help and I can't find it anywhere.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3394711&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=22#post407153083

B4Ctom1 posted:

Pretty much this. It is hard to explain not just the physics, but the amounts of forces involved.

We use throttle to create stretching or "draft" forces and dynamic braking (think of downhill engine braking in a car) to create bunching or "buff" forces.

To start with, when you are running the train, you are feathering the throttle or dynamic braking to keep "in train forces" at acceptable levels. This is based upon the terrain each part of the train is passing over.

Even small changes in grade, if there are enough of them under the length of the train, are enough to break knuckles, rip out draw bars, or derail cars simply by doing "nothing at all" at the wrong time.

In these situations heavier applications of power or dynamic brake are required to keep these "in train forces" down.

Think of a large sliced loaf of bread. I take the wrapper off of it and ask you to carry it across the room. One hand on each end should suffice. A small amount of pressure to keep the bread from being crushed and across the room you go.

The knuckle and drawbar connections between the cars seem very strong to the layman, but when compared to the amount of weight of loaded freight cars, and all of the cars behind them piled upon it, it may as well be dental floss.

You can break dental floss easily, but the difference is that it is hard to "crush" dental floss.

The poster I have quoted above is addressing something we call "train make up". THe "in train forces" can be additionally effected by the way cars or groups of cars are placed in the train. Long cars next to short cars, loads next to empties.

Generally freight trains that are not hauling a bulk of the same commodity are mixed freight. A bulk commodity train would be an entire train of wheat or coal. These trains are very heavy, and have their own set of problems, but in general do not have any issue of train make up because all of the cars are generally the same weight and type. Mixed freight trains are the most common types of trains on the main rail thoroughfares.

A mixed freight train I haul might have 25 heavy loaded lumber cars, 15 empty or loaded auto racks, 20 empty or loaded tank cars of various lengths, 30 empty or loaded covered hopper cars of various lengths, and 30 loaded or empty boxcars of two different lengths.

So for this example train of 120 cars. Lets say it weighs 7900 tons and is 9000 feet (2.75KM) long.

I am traveling along at 50 MPH.

The "head end" of the train has passed the bottom of the grade and the train is still descending the grade. As about half of the train leaves the grade I am looking ahead at the next grade to climb directly ahead. I have been using dynamic brake and need to "transition" from braking to power. I move the lever into the idle position and begin waiting my 10 seconds. In my my mind, from experience, I know that I need to rapidly, but gently begin notching through my power notches without allowing my train to accelerate past 50 MPH which I am restricted to.

The very head of the train is traveling around a slight curvature in the track. I also need to see that the next signal is green "clear" so that I do not have to formulate an entire other plan as a reduction of speed might be required instead. I see that the signal is flashing yellow "advanced approach". This will mean a reduction of speed to 40 MPH and a possible stop short of the second signal ahead.

As I am thinking of what I am to do next and waiting for the 10 seconds to pass, the next crossing becomes visible and I see that there is a truck hauling a low slung trailer with a heavy piece of equipment on it. He is blocking the crossing because his low slung trailer is stuck on the raised rail and crossing lumber that you drive across.

Without hesitation or further consideration, I slam the brake handle into the emergency position, dumping all the trainline air. I reach up and toggle the switch that ensures that the "End Of Train" device dumps from the rear as well. I bail off the locomotive air brakes because they are so powerful in a situation like this, that they can cause such a massive buff forces which will certainly derail a train. Additionally they can crumple or destroy the track beneath them.

While in earlier transition from dynamic braking to power "slack" had developed in the train. Slack is neither draft or buff, but more of a null position like rail cars standing in a yard not connected to a train. A developed space between cars where they are sort of relaxed.

As the air dumped from the train-line, the brake valves on each car sense this emergency and dump the full value of air contained within their emergency reservoir into the large cylinder that applies the brakes giving each car higher than usual stopping power.

Somewhere near the head end of the train a group of empty tank cars having such massive braking power begin to stop the train, but right behind them a group of heavy loaded hoppers presses against them, their own braking being less substantial. A tank car of Anhydrous Ammonia right between the groups which has been taking the brunt of these two opposing forces has a wheel that lifts off the rail as it is being pressed around a curve. This car, the car ahead of it, and nine of the loaded hopper cars behind it all leave the rail and head into a tiny quiet suburb in the middle of the night.

Half way back in the train where the most of the box cars are, they settle down for their stop. Still bunched because they were still descending the hill. The heavy loads of lumber fighting them as they come to a stop. Even though on straight track the, one end of an empty boxcar in the group begins to lift into the air. The opposing force of the heavy lumber cars and the stopping train ahead of it is too much. As it sets back down the wheels miss the track and begin to erase the track, all of the cars behind it having no track to ride on begin to take paths of their own in each direction.

Near the back of the train the auto-rack settle down hard. Harder than the group of heavy lumber cars ahead of them. This causes one of the long 500+ pound (230kg) draw-bars in the third auto-rack to be sheared from place. For a moment it tumbles through space, whistling though the wind in contact with only the air. Then it strikes a tie and the car passing above it in vaulted, only inches off of the rail, and a carload of new rangerovers tumbles end over end into a reservoir of drinking water.

The drawbar is angry, propelled by its last impact it drops onto the rail for a moment derailing a load of mini coopers, a load of corvettes, a load of ford diesel pickups, and a load of prius. The last of the autoracks ram into those derailed and the drawbar impales itself through the bottom of a boxcar piercing 20 cases of aged Glenfiddich.

Back on the locomotive, pressed forward by the loads behind, we cover the half mile to the stuck trailer in about 45 seconds. My conductor sees that the piece of equipment is a D9 Caterpillar bulldozer and screams like a woman as he jumps from his window at 35 mph. The fall from 15 feet in the air certainly would have killed him but instead he tumbled and struck feet first shattering his legs in 20 places and cartwheeling to his death as his head exploded when it struck the hard granite ballast some 20 times or so in the cartwheeling tumble. It takes 24 hours for them to find his body under crumpled boxcars.

I run out the back door to the second locomotive where I lay down in the cab. The impact at 35 mph is brutal. The second locomotive which I am on climbs under the front locomotive. The third locomotive does the same to mine. When the locomotive comes to a rest, is on its side, and both my arms are broken.

I drown, face down, in 200 gallons of brownish, blueish sewage from a chemical toilet long overdue for a cleaning. But my dignity is preserved because a fire from the combined 12,000 gallons (45.5 Kiloliters) of fuel burns for 3 days incinerating me and most of the locomotives completely.

The undocumented worker driving the truck with the wedged trailer disappears.

During the conductor's autopsy, trace amounts of THC from a brownie he consumed 3 weeks earlier while on vacation in Amsterdam are found to be the cause of the accident.

It was also noted in the government report that the cellphone of an engineer on a different train following ours was "on" at the time of our impact, and this may have contributed to the wreck.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Instant Sunrise posted:

I remember this, the main character had a hat like a fedora or something to go with the tommy gun and I think his nickname was "The Nose" but for the life of me I can't seem to dig up a link.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Traxus IV posted:

I remember this, the main character had a hat like a fedora or something to go with the tommy gun and I think his nickname was "The Nose" but for the life of me I can't seem to dig up a link.

It's this, but he was hosting the images himself so it's even more lost forever than a waffleimages LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Just watch Boyhood.