Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Araenna posted:

I think if you wash up well, and don't let the cat near your bite, you should be ok. Maybe you can call your vet and ask? They'd probably know. Though I think if your cat is up to date on shots, you'll be ok.

Edit: Wash your clothes really well too. I'm pretty sure FelV is super contagious. Also, good job on pulling over and trying to help. At least the cat wasn't alone when they died.

I didn't even think about calling a vet. After several calls, I managed to get a hold of one open (they're all closed on Wednesday!) and the vet tech said that anything I could've picked up is only transmissible cat to cat.
My cat best prepare for insane cuddlings today since I avoided him all night last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I don't know if this is the right thread, but I have a question about animal control.

I live in a pretty wealthy area, and 3 of my neighbors have gotten beagles recently because maybe they're trendy this year, I have no idea. Anyway, I think they basically neglect these dogs, they're out in the yard all day and sometimes late at night, and they spend all that time just baying nonstop.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if I have a leg to stand on to call animal control for neglect or a noise complaint or something like that. I'm guessing the dogs are fed properly and everything, it just seems to me that they're bored to death and bark themselves hoarse all day. The neighbors are standoffish and rarely home, I think at least one of the dogs was a poorly-planned Christmas present.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

red19fire posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread, but I have a question about animal control.

I live in a pretty wealthy area, and 3 of my neighbors have gotten beagles recently because maybe they're trendy this year, I have no idea. Anyway, I think they basically neglect these dogs, they're out in the yard all day and sometimes late at night, and they spend all that time just baying nonstop.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if I have a leg to stand on to call animal control for neglect or a noise complaint or something like that. I'm guessing the dogs are fed properly and everything, it just seems to me that they're bored to death and bark themselves hoarse all day. The neighbors are standoffish and rarely home, I think at least one of the dogs was a poorly-planned Christmas present.

I called AC on my neighbor in Upstate NY because they left their two dogs out in the freezing cold (several feet of snow on the ground) at seemingly all times. I got up at 5am and walked my dogs and these dogs were in a pretty small dog run. We left for work at 6:45am and they were still out there. On the days I was home (weekends, odd days off) they'd be out there throughout the entire day. Most days I went to be pretty early (around 9:30pm) and they were still out there. Weekends I'd be up until between 11pm and 2:30am and with few exceptions they were still out there barking away. A few times a day I'd here the owners come out and yell for the dogs to stop barking but otherwise I never saw any interaction. For months.

Not sure what came from AC, since I ended up moving away from there but I felt bad for those dogs. Not sure they can do much if the dogs are being "well cared for", but good luck either way.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

red19fire posted:

Noise complaint, probably. Animal neglect, probably not. Most places stipulate that an outdoor dog has some form of shelter and access to water, and that's about it. You'd have better luck with the noise complaint.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

red19fire posted:

Check your local animal control district's laws on noise. In mine nuisance barking is more than 1 hour solid straight barking at nothing (like nobody is at their door or fence) within a 24 hour period. Barking at trespassers or harassment doesn't count. Animal control officers would have to investigate after you file the complaint and usually require that you try to solve the issue without contacting them first, just by talking to your neighbor.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I wasn't sure where else to post this, we don't have a general medical advice thread, so here's a PSA: If your dog's gums are white, take them to the vet hospital. That's a sign of shock. It never means anything other than an emergency. It doesn't matter if he'd been given the all-clear in a full medical exam a few months ago (mine had) or had gone through minor surgery without a hitch a few days back (mine had) or if he's not showing any other symptoms (he wasn't) or you call up the vet nurse and she tells you that it's probably nothing and you shouldn't bother bringing him in (I did!) Google says to race a white-mouthed dog to the vet straight away, but it can be tempting not to. Don't be tempted, get that dog to a clinic immediately!

Vanya survived but he required an emergency laparatomy and his gallbladder had to be opened up and pumped out manually, leaving him at high risk of post-operative peritonitis. It's been a week and he seems to be going okay, but it was extremely touch and go at the time and the gallbladder could have ruptured at any moment. The pain of the obstruction must have been excruciating but he never showed any signs of it, even the vets didn't notice it - there was nothing to go on but the white gums. He'd even had a blood test before his recent castration that returned entirely normal, which was why the nurse told me not to bring him in. Please please please check your dog's gums frequently and if they're white - or yellow or grey - don't waste time, take them to the vet.

Avshalom fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 6, 2014

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Had two cats and one dog. Older cat died in June. Younger cat (he's 11) has gotten very, and I mean extremely, clingy. He is always in someone's lap or on the keyboard.

I know he probably needs a kitten, but he's not getting a kitten. Anything else we can do to help him out and get him back to being a typical standoffish cat-beast?

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

You could get some feliway plug ins to try and calm him down, but honestly, you should either get him a new buddy (it doesn't have to be a kitten) or give him the attention he needs. Cat's bond, and when one dies, the other is usually devastated.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Yeah, we had the other cat when this guy showed up. At first he tried to befriend her but she was kind of crotchety. But they did have some kind of relationship. (We all miss her.)

We do give him attention but...he just seems to require it constantly.

I am open to another cat. (Actually, I am even open to a kitten, but my husband isn't, and I'm not sure about the dog, either.)

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating
Is it normal for nuttered male dogs to be horny? I just caught my dog humping the couch cushions and I didn't think I had to deal with this kind of stuff?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yup. Tater's got a humpin' toy for when he has his moments.

And boys and girls alike at the dog park like to hump him for whatever reason. I guess he has a cute butt.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Are the OTC drops effective for ear mites? I'm pretty sure one of my cats has mites in one of his ears and I don't want to wrangle both him and my toddler at the vet's unless it's necessary. I asked this in the cat thread, but it got lost in a discussion of kitten farts.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Jizznastics posted:

Is it normal for nuttered male dogs to be horny? I just caught my dog humping the couch cushions and I didn't think I had to deal with this kind of stuff?

Absolutely. My mother's little Border Terrier was infatuated with the older female cattle dog's face and would attempt to get on with it constantly. Even now as a little old man dog he still gets a bit silly around other girl dogs.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Brennanite posted:

Are the OTC drops effective for ear mites? I'm pretty sure one of my cats has mites in one of his ears and I don't want to wrangle both him and my toddler at the vet's unless it's necessary. I asked this in the cat thread, but it got lost in a discussion of kitten farts.
Ideally you'd take your cat to the vet because it may not be ear mites or there could be a secondary infection that needs treatment. In either case, the cat's ears are going to get a lot worse while you're waiting for an ear mite treatment to maybe work.

If you absolutely can't go to the vet, call your vet and ask for a prescription for Revolution. It's a topical flea and heartworm preventative that also kills ear mites. If they've seen your cat recently, you shouldn't need to take the cat in to get Revolution. Apply one dose. If the ears are way better in two weeks, you can apply it every 2 weeks for 3 treatments and then monthly to make sure the mites are completely eradicated. If the cat's ears aren't way better within 2 weeks of the first dose, you really need to see a vet. I'd personally stay away from OTC meds, especially for cats and especially for cat ears.

ETA: I just reread your post, and if you have multiple cats and only one ear of one cat is effected, it's not super likely to be ear mites. I'd really try to see your vet. If you really can't, then you should be treating the whole household of cats for mites, and that's going to be a lot of money down the drain if you really just have a cat with an ear infection.

Crooked Booty fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 7, 2014

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating
Can nuttered dogs still cum? I don't want to get dog semen all over my furniture.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
According to Jolanta, yes, tho I haven't exactly donned the white lab coat and done the tests. You'll want to work on redirecting his, uh, jizznastics to something else, or at least onto something else.

Tater's favorite thing to hump these days is... the air. Like he'll just be standing there and suddenly welp time to hump. Dogs.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

My old cat used to hump everything, including me and my pillows. We just picked him up and chucked him of everything we didn't want him humping. Eventually he realized the only thing we hadn't thrown him off of was his cat bed. No he humps it allll the drat time.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Crooked Booty posted:

Ideally you'd take your cat to the vet because it may not be ear mites or there could be a secondary infection that needs treatment. In either case, the cat's ears are going to get a lot worse while you're waiting for an ear mite treatment to maybe work.

If you absolutely can't go to the vet, call your vet and ask for a prescription for Revolution. It's a topical flea and heartworm preventative that also kills ear mites. If they've seen your cat recently, you shouldn't need to take the cat in to get Revolution. Apply one dose. If the ears are way better in two weeks, you can apply it every 2 weeks for 3 treatments and then monthly to make sure the mites are completely eradicated. If the cat's ears aren't way better within 2 weeks of the first dose, you really need to see a vet. I'd personally stay away from OTC meds, especially for cats and especially for cat ears.

ETA: I just reread your post, and if you have multiple cats and only one ear of one cat is effected, it's not super likely to be ear mites. I'd really try to see your vet. If you really can't, then you should be treating the whole household of cats for mites, and that's going to be a lot of money down the drain if you really just have a cat with an ear infection.

Thanks for the help. It's just one ear in one cat (we have two), so it sounds like it might be an infection rather than mites. Either way, it sounds like the wrangling of cat and son is necessary. I'll call the vet tomorrow.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
My brother's female labrador likes to try to hump the cat, which ends up being this weird gay interspecies rape while the cat just freezes up and won't move until someone yells at the dog to stop humping the poor cat.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
My neutered male cat would hump the spayed female cat who would present and everything. It was the only time he humped. Pretty sure at that point it stops being humping and turns into straight up sex. It was disturbing, too, he raised her from a bitty kitten. :gonk:

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Hi PI. I haven't read or posted here before, but I didn't see a more appropriate thread.

I've got a 6 YO miniature schnauzer. He's always been healthy and active and gets 30 minute walks morning and night every day.

Starting 6 days ago he seems to have a lot of pain in his shoulder joints after we finish walking. He becomes really submissive and lays down for several hours, only getting up for treats. He's got a good appetite and good poops and seems fine while we are walking, but he won't jump off of the bed or out of the car anymore. My theory is that he jumped off of something and hurt himself while I was at work.

I can't actually figure out exactly where he's hurting. I've massaged him all over and haven't found any pain points, though he seems to be uncomfortable when he's on my lap or when I pick him up. He also really didn't like it when I tried to pull him out from underneath the coffee table. When he's standing on all fours he's most resistant to me lifting his right-front paw, which makes me think his left-front leg is weak. He seems to really enjoy it when I massage what could only be described as the tricep/armpit area but who knows if that's related.

My current plan is to keep his walks short and let him get another week of rest. If he isn't better by then, I'll look at getting him x-rayed at a vet. I guess I'm wondering if this seems like the right move, and I'm also wondering if there's anything else I can do on my own to diagnose or improve his condition in the mean time.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Have you looked through his fur to see if he has a hot spot or abscess or anything? Has he jumped of anything high lately? If the lethargy has persisted more than 2 days, personally I would go to the vet sooner. He's eating and pooping, so that's a good sign, but if he's lethargic, he's probably in pain. Could be arthritis.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

When I took my dog to a vet over lameness in one of her hind legs, the vet basically poked and prodded at it, said he thought it was good how protective she was of her injured leg (she held it up and was disinclined to use it -- I guess he thought it was good to not further aggravate it), advised me to let her rest it (leashed walks to potty only) and to come back in 2 weeks if she continued to limp.

YMMV. IANAV.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Luna has some kind of tumor in her stomach. She's been ultrasounded, xrayed, scoped, and biopsies. We'll get hopefully some sort of official diagnosis mid next week, but what are the chances this is a no big deal thing? Is it even possible? For reference, it's about 3cm, echogenic, and in the top of her stomach. She's only 6lbs, so it's a non-trivial size, and at 15 years old she's not the most robust ever. I'm just beside myself for her!

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Okay, my dog, who is just coming up on 4 years old, just pissed on the leg of my neighbor's pants. He has never done anything like this before.

Picture it: we are standing there talking. My dog is on leash and her dog is running around the yard. Her dog started interacting with my dog, they did the whole sniffing thing, and then her dog ran off to another part of the yard. My dog started getting all friendly with the neighbor, then suddenly just raised his leg and let go.

I was astounded. It happened too quickly for me to pull him away.

Anybody got any clues what was going through his head? He was quite easy to housebreak as a puppy, no issues, occasionally when walking I call him off flowers (there are plenty of fireplugs and other vertical objects on our walk) but he has never, ever peed on a person before.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Did your neighbor deserve it? Dogs can sometimes sense these things.

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!
Embarrassingly enough, my dog did that once as well. Only once. But at the dog group that gets together for greyhounds. And it was our second time to ever go. As much as my husband and I could reason it out, we thought that it was most likely that the shoes the woman was wearing had been peed on, or had stepped in pee or poop before. My dog never did it before and has not done it since.

Rlyss
Dec 27, 2006
So I says to Mabel, I says...
I'm building a kennel for a dachshund puppy. How wide/long/tall should the kennel be, so it suits him as a puppy and later as an adult?

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
Tall enough to sit comfortably, long/wide enough to spread out. If it's going outside, consider a flap/something to cover the entrance from the elements.

Rlyss
Dec 27, 2006
So I says to Mabel, I says...
Thanks mcswizzle, but sorry I should have mentioned that we don't have the puppy yet, it's a gift for a family member who is getting one soon. Are there some sort of guidelines like Xcm wide by Ycm deep that I could use?

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Rlyss posted:

Thanks mcswizzle, but sorry I should have mentioned that we don't have the puppy yet, it's a gift for a family member who is getting one soon. Are there some sort of guidelines like Xcm wide by Ycm deep that I could use?

If they know the breed (if it's known you can estimate, but it varies even within a breed) you can build out to the larger expectation (if it's between 40-60lbs, build for 60lbs). If it's a mutt, build for the bigger size of the biggest known breed (rott/chi is obviously not going to stay chi sized, though I now have something to look for in the world) though that may end up being more space than necessary. If you can make it modular enough to have different available space (add a free wall that you can adjust?) then definitely err on the side of larger.

Also bear in mind that different dogs are different. Greyhounds are really lanky but large, for their weight. St Bernards are built like brick shithouses and are big everywhere for their weight.

My best recommendation is to go out and meet some dogs. A lot of shelters will be happy to have some help walking/playing/socializing their dogs, and it can help you get an idea of size relative to weight in different breeds (depending on your area). If, that is, you plan on adopting. If it's from a breeder, you might see if they have some insight. If they're a reputable breeder, they should be able to easily answer what kind of upper threshold you should see in size from the puppy as it grows. If it's a BYB A. don't get it from them and B. they won't be able to reliably answer temperament or size questions. They'll say "the mom/dad is XYlb's" rather than a reputable breeder saying "Fed properly, previous litters reached XYlbs/size, parent's are XYlbs/size, Grandparents are XYlb's/size"

Forgive the site itself, they promote shock-collar use, but this article is unrelated to that and it has some interesting information about outdoor dog housing in winter: Sit Means Sit.

edit: I just realized that while I said "build for X weight/Y height" I didn't explain that in relative measurements for carpentry. For reference, I have a 45lb lab mutt who is maybe 14? inches tall at the top of her head and maybe 34-36" nose to tail. I have a 65lb asdflhafl mutt who is maybe 4-5 inches taller and an additional maybe 6 inches longer than the lab. These are estimates from memory, since I'm not home to measure them, but should be relatively accurate (and if I had a dog house for them based off these measurements I'm confident it would be fine for them). So you can see that weight affects the size but it's a more linear growth (in my uneducated opinion) rather than a more aggressive cubic/exponential growth. (Yes I know you don't measure dogs at the head, but at the shoulder normally. I used it this time to help visualize the dimensions).

mcswizzle fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 15, 2014

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Small question here: Is there a good site to get collar tags from or would the in-store ones at places like Petsmart or Wal-Mart be okay? I don't need anything special, just some basic info.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Quasipox posted:

Small question here: Is there a good site to get collar tags from or would the in-store ones at places like Petsmart or Wal-Mart be okay? I don't need anything special, just some basic info.

I got one at petco for about $8, which is the price of the tag itself. The engraving is free and includes both sides. Not a bad deal imo.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I feel like this doesn't really deserve it's own thread, but I wanted to post it in PI.

Article here

A local small time cat rescue is losing it's space in my city. The vacancy rate in Calgary right now is 1.4 percent, the lowest in the country, and I doubt industrial space is any better. She has about 100 cats and they were mostly all feral or abandoned.

Anyways I just thought, if you have some spare cash or are local and have any connections, maybe PI goons could help. I'm going to donate a bit of money, but I'm on medical leave right now so my income isn't awesome.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Quasipox posted:

Both of my dogs have the Petco/Petsmart in-store engraved ones. We got the dog-tag sized ones and they work out great since they are large enough to see and we could engrave both our names and numbers on them.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

cailleask posted:

Luna has some kind of tumor in her stomach. She's been ultrasounded, xrayed, scoped, and biopsies. We'll get hopefully some sort of official diagnosis mid next week, but what are the chances this is a no big deal thing? Is it even possible? For reference, it's about 3cm, echogenic, and in the top of her stomach. She's only 6lbs, so it's a non-trivial size, and at 15 years old she's not the most robust ever. I'm just beside myself for her!

Okay, so, we've officially stumped like three vets. Her biopsy came back showing it's 3cm of scar tissue and inflammation at the cardia in her stomach. The vomiting-blood thing is apparently from ulcers. WTF. She's only five-ish pounds, so how in the world did she end up with 3cm of scar tissue in her stomach?!

Everyone was sure it was cancer. Apparently now it's not? So hurray for not having an instant death-sentence. :)

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

Quasipox posted:

Pettags4less.com is cheap and decent quality for basic tags. They have a couple random tags for $2 each day, regular single sided tags are $2.29 and double sided tags are $3.49. It took about a week from ordering to arrival with free shipping but it's much cheaper than instant gratification if you're ordering multiple tags.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Quasipox posted:

Boomerang tags are great

http://www.boomerangtags.com/

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

These will last forever so they're worth the slightly increased cost IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but I just lost my cat. I've had her for 17 years, and I don't know what I'm supposed to do now. She died suddenly and I wasn't expecting this for a few more years. My house is full of reminders that I had a cat up until several hours ago and I'll never kiss her ears again.