Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Despite being on frontline 9 months a year (I live in Wisconsin), my 6yo dog was diagnosed with Lyme disease about a year ago. He was acting super lethargic/weak, so we took him into the vet and they sent us home with some antibiotics and pain relievers. We were told that you generally can't cure Lyme disease and that he may have flare-ups in the future.

Now that we're about a year out from the original diagnosis, I have a couple questions about these flare-ups. It seems like he has one about once a month. He'll be really sore/gimpy and has a hard time standing up/walking/etc... It's usually only severe like this for half a day or so. By the next day he's usually back to almost-normal and within a couple days he's back to 100%. The first time it happened (about a month after the initial round of antibiotics) we took him back into the vet and they gave us another round of antibiotics. Since then, we've generally just given him some of the pain meds (Carprofen) when he has a flare-up. Sometimes the flare-ups come after an activity-filled day (yesterday morning we walked ~4 miles with lots of running around etc...), and sometimes it comes out of nowhere without any sort of unusual physical activity.

My questions are about what to do when a flare-up happens. Should he start back up on antibiotics with each flare-up? If the antibiotics are meant to stop an acute infection, it wouldn't seem like they would have any affect in this scenario because the flare-ups come and go so quickly on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU