Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
Another spaying question, but answer Wampa's first!

Will my dog's personality change after getting her spayed? I just adopted her, she's 3 years old, and has not been spayed yet. She had puppies at least once. Her spay date is set for July because we had to wait for her estrus to end.
Right now she seems to not like boy dogs approaching her, and even growled/bared teeth at one. She seems fine with some boy dogs if they don't approach her, and girl dogs seem fine too. I was hoping this just had to do with her coming out of estrus, and after she gets spayed she will like boy dogs again!
She also doesn't seem to want to play with toys now. I'm wondering if that's related at all?

cloudy fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Correct. If random dog walkers approach I tell them no dogs.
I just figured it'd be nicer for her to go through a surgery at a home instead of a shelter?

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

That's hard to say. There may be a behavioral change; we don't know how much of her current behavior is based solely on sex hormones and what is learned behavior and more intrinsic stuff. Sometimes, dogs that are intact will maintain some of the more likely sex driven behavior simply because they learned to do that and it is habit.

Long story short, you won't know until you do it.

Makes sense. Thank you for the response!
I think there is a good chance she'll need some socialization work anyway, but we'll see how it all plays out after her surgery!

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

GimpInBlack posted:

So I just accepted a job in Sweden--I currently live in Montreal. Does anybody have experience with transatlantic pet moves? We have two dogs in the 30-35 lb. range and a cat. I'm really not fond of the idea of shipping them in cargo, so I'm curious if anybody's done this or similar and might have some pointers.

I don't have experience, but maybe contact the airline you're going to use, and see if they'll allow you to buy seats for their carriers? Seems like they might be small enough to fit a hard-shell carrying crate into a seat.
Also maybe ask your vet if they have any recommendations.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Holy poo poo. Your roommate is ignorant and terrible. Has she taken the tumor-lab to the vet? There could be treatment options.
Also I really hope no one gets rabies.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Yes, Instant Jellyfish is right! However I would advise you to not approach strange animals that you don't know what they are! They could be bears!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Hi, my vet prescribed some benzos for my dog for stressful situations (thunderstorms, etc). 4th of July is coming up, and i want to give her one on that evening. The directions say to give her the pill an hour before the stressful situation starts... But I know fireworks are gonna be going off all day, probably. Is it ok to just give her one a little before dusk, even though she'll already be pretty scared from sustained fireworks craziness?

edit: sounds like if you give it to dogs already showing signs of anxiety, there is a chance it could cause more stress due to them feeling disoriented.
Might only give her one if we're able to get through the day without fireworks going off (unlikely because I live in a dense city neighborhood).

cloudy fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 29, 2016