Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Is there a thread or part of a thread in which people discuss cold-laser therapy for dog arthritis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
My mom's nine year old corgi is having trouble getting up again. She's been taking Cosequin for over a year, and it seemed to help for a while. Perhaps it's just the weather changing, I don't know. I try to give her regular leg/hip massages and take her for a short walk in the morning. I understand laser therapy has some evidence backing it up; just wondered if anyone has had experience with it.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Epiphyte posted:

Can a dog become incontinent in his sleep?

Yesterday morning I awoke to find my 2 year old corgi had wet the bed, which I pretty much just dismissed as a one off, but then this morning I wake up and find he crapped in the bed.

The odd thing is, he's normally quite fastidious and if forced to go in doors, will try to evacuate in a corner and avoid the waste, but both of the last mornings, he has basically been laying in it on the bed.

Take them to the vet. Our Lucy's bladder stones were finally discovered when she would just leave a puddle where she was laying. Or he was just dreamin' about poopin.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Dogs in the bed forever!

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Brennanite posted:

I'm watching a sweet senior dog with arthritis. It's unusually cold and wet, and she's having a hard time getting up the one flight of stairs to the apartment. Is there anything I can do to help her have an easier time?

Our Corgi is having some rear hip problems that I think are arthritis. If I massage her leg joints and butt for five minutes in the morning she hops right up. If I don't, she struggles and sometimes won't even try to get up.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
My parents' Corgi is wheezing when she gets excited/exercises. They took her to the vet, but they just said it was from dry winter air in the home. She's never done this before though (she's 9 or 10) and I don't trust their vet (it took them years to figure out she had bladder stone+they gave her some cough medicine for the wheezing when she isn't coughing.) Should I get a second opinion? It doesn't sound like she has fluid in her lungs, and she isn't coughing up anything or coughing at all.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I guess eating their own poop is better than eating goose poop. That's what my Basset loves to do, walking her is a battle against her trying to find "snacks."

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Toriori posted:

Friend adopted a rescue dog with super long nails. We both are worried about trying to cut the nails because I had read the quick can get long too. I feel bad because the dogs nails are really long, I dot even cut my own dogs nails because it freaks me out. Can groomers work with a dog to make the quick retract and get her nails to a normal length eventually? Would buying a nail grinder make things easier? Total noob in this department.

Have the vet do it. Since she is newly rescued, your friend is taking the dog to the vet, right?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
7y old Basset.

The vet emptied her butt glands in June but 3-4 days ago she started acting like they were bothering her again. After watching some Youtube vidjas I decided to do it myself. I thought I got most of the juice out (they felt about chickpea sized, and now they don't feel any size.) Did I not get it all the way out or what because she's still acting like they're a problem.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

What do you feed? Did the vet express any concerns about infection? Is the animal overweight?

Beneful Health Weighty (prob get yelled at for that—it keeps her weight down and she likes it.)

Didn't say anything about infection, just that they were full when he emptied them. When I did it last night the sauce was clear to light brown and smelled normal. I did just do it last night, perhaps some was stuck in the tube as I took her for a walk at the park a minute ago where she had a healthy dump and wasn't trying to lick her butt on the way home.

I think she's around 55 lbs. She has an hourglass shape from above, her udders hang down past her chest but the rest of her abdomen curves up decently-I tried to get a picture but she thinks all I want to do is poke her butt if she's standing now, ha.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

thylacine posted:

7y old Basset.

The vet emptied her butt glands in June but 3-4 days ago she started acting like they were bothering her again. After watching some Youtube vidjas I decided to do it myself. I thought I got most of the juice out (they felt about chickpea sized, and now they don't feel any size.) Did I not get it all the way out or what because she's still acting like they're a problem.

I took her to the vet today. My anal expressing technique was not adequate. Turns out I need to do the whole finger in the butt thing. The vet squeezed them and there was tons of juice in there+infection. Boo.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
You can get by with squeezing them from the outside on some dogs (smaller ones? I don't know just depends on anatomy.)

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Any guesses on what I've discovered on my Basset? Ringworm? Hotspots? Shouldn't be fleas, she's on trifexis.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Wertjoe posted:

My dog is now an old man and wont stop falling down on the slippery kitchen floor. Hes fine on carpet where he has traction though. So im thinking I need to get him some dog shoes. Anyone have any recommendations? Hes a field spaniel if that helps anything.

You don't need to get shoes, there are waxes that do the same thing. I can't recommend any though because I've never tried.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I got some cow knee caps for my dog, it takes her a long rear end time to eat them but she still chews on them every day.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

micropath posted:

My dog has been licking her front paw quite a bit, and I've looked at it and she seems to have ripped/broken one of her claws. It's obviously hurting her a lot, since she bit me when I looked at it. Is there anything I can do to stop her from licking it? Or should I just let her do it? I just don't want it to get infected.

I cleaned it as best I could, put some antibiotic ointment on it and wrapped it up. I think I did that once or twice a day until it healed enough to take the bandage off. No problems but you'll probably need a helper.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

My old roomie had a thing like this that worked alright, it had a full harness though and not just a neck collar.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I just caught my basset chomping on a baby bunny, she didn't really want to let it go so I just let her eat it. Being a city person, I know dogs are carnivores and made to eat lil' animals, but is there anything I should watch out for/anything she could catch from eating it?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Mango Polo posted:

I need a recommendation for a new vacuum cleaner, because the mixture of cat hair and litter dust have finally managed to badly clog my current one. Granted it's a lovely bagless model, so I'm happy to see it die to justify getting something better.

- I'm in Europe! That makes it a bit difficult to get some of the fancy models people typically recommend on SA :(
- I have to deal with hardwood floors, a fabric sofa and a thick low-pile rug.
- I'm fine going up to 400e if it makes my life less annoying twice a week.

We have a normal Dyson and it sucks like hell, you just have to clean it sometimes. I think the new 'Cinetic' ones make it so you don't even have to clean it since the wiggly things keep dust from building up. The top of the line 'animal' version is 400e judging by their UK website. Really, the thing can suck some dog hair outta stuff and I bet the 'animal' version is even better.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

I know it's kinda hard to see, but my basset has developed this small grown by her ear. It's not like the other bumps she has, this one is pretty scary looking. I'm of course gonna get her into the vet, but is this cancer, a scab, a wart? It doesn't seem to bother her, she doesn't scratch at it, etc.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Best glucosamine-chondroitin brand?

I understand it may or may not work, but my vet recommended it for my 11 year old basset. I've noticed her getting stiff lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

My basset is good at making GBS threads and pissing on my bathroom mat in emergencies. It was the first thing he soiled after I got a bike and he was too afraid to go within eyesight of it. I would not give her an option as after 10 hours it'd look mighty fine every day.

#bassetlife

Question: We adopted that terrier almost a year ago and she's a picky as gently caress eater. It's a chore to feed her because she'll just look at it and wonder off, I think she's a little ADD. I guess she probably free fed at her previous house but we can't do that 'cause of two other dogs who will eat her food. We've tried two different foods so far. The odd thing is she seems more interested in eating the other dogs' foods than her own. Any tips for getting her to eat normally so we don't have to stand there and supervise/motivate her to eat? It's like she would eat her food if I was feeding it to a different dog but she won't eat it when it's plopped down for her to eat.