Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Hi PI. I haven't read or posted here before, but I didn't see a more appropriate thread.

I've got a 6 YO miniature schnauzer. He's always been healthy and active and gets 30 minute walks morning and night every day.

Starting 6 days ago he seems to have a lot of pain in his shoulder joints after we finish walking. He becomes really submissive and lays down for several hours, only getting up for treats. He's got a good appetite and good poops and seems fine while we are walking, but he won't jump off of the bed or out of the car anymore. My theory is that he jumped off of something and hurt himself while I was at work.

I can't actually figure out exactly where he's hurting. I've massaged him all over and haven't found any pain points, though he seems to be uncomfortable when he's on my lap or when I pick him up. He also really didn't like it when I tried to pull him out from underneath the coffee table. When he's standing on all fours he's most resistant to me lifting his right-front paw, which makes me think his left-front leg is weak. He seems to really enjoy it when I massage what could only be described as the tricep/armpit area but who knows if that's related.

My current plan is to keep his walks short and let him get another week of rest. If he isn't better by then, I'll look at getting him x-rayed at a vet. I guess I'm wondering if this seems like the right move, and I'm also wondering if there's anything else I can do on my own to diagnose or improve his condition in the mean time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
e: Had a sick dog, think he's feeling better now.

Andy Dufresne fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 3, 2015