Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Has she been spayed? Was she microchipped?

You say that there's a hard bean shaped mass you can feel. If you grab it (gently) between two fingers, can you move it around? i.e., does it feel like it's attached to the tissues under the skin, or coming from the skin itself?

Lumps on the skin near nipples can be a huge variety of things - from benign skin tags to a nasty mammary gland cancer. Skin tags tend to be freely movable with the outer skin, while the more nastier cancers like to be attached to the tissues underneath. I've also seen microchips move around - found one cruising down the left forelimb once.

She's young, so I'd put my money on skin tag. However, I can't feel it myself, so we'll see what your vet says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

RazorBunny posted:

We keep a syringe on hand because of Charlie's repeated issues, so that we can force-feed him if necessary. Definitely get your girl into the vet as soon as possible, and you might want to pick up a syringe for your "just in case" supplies. We usually mix a slurry of 1 part wet food to 3 parts water and squirt it down his throat. He doesn't like it by any means, but generally if he's sick enough to need it, he's too sick to fight too much.

Sorry to rain on the syringe parade, but that's a sure-fire way to cause food aversions. Cats are pretty notorious for developing those if you force feed them... they're already feeling crappy, and if you force them to eat it, they start associating the food with feeling crappy and don't want to eat it. It's like a person getting food poisoning from something and never being able to look at that food again.

I'm also concerned about force feeding and possibly causing them to inhale the food slurry. Aspiration pneumonia is no bueno.

If a cat is sick enough that they need to be fed no matter what, then they should be at the vet with some sort of tube getting food into their gullet, because they probably need other treatments anyway.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Ginny Field posted:

:sigh: So Ginny is having some trouble with one of her paws. Over the past day or so, she's been licking pretty consistently at her right rear paw pad. My boyfriend and I have both prodded at it, and it doesn't seem to be causing her any pain-- but she goes right back to licking it when she's not otherwise occupied.

A couple questions.

Is her nose like this? Nasodigital would imply that her nose is involved.

How old is she? What breed is she? If you don't know, give it your best shot. There can be some breed predispositions, and even if she's not pure one thing or another, they don't necessarily have to be purebred to get some of the breed related illnesses.

Edit: Does she have any issues around her mouth or eyes? Loss of hair or other thickness in those areas? Reason for asking: some dermatologic diseases can manifest at the junctions between haired skin and, say, the mouth or eyes (mucocutaneous junctions), in addition to the paw pad(s) and nose.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

fembot posted:

We have 4 litter boxes (I added one hoping to stop this problem) in various places around the house. Possibly the most frustrating thing is that one of the spots she's chosen to go instead is in the corner about a foot BEHIND the box. Thanks for the tips, I've been looking into getting a Feliway anyway so maybe I'll pick one up.

You can also try switching the litter to see if there's a certain kind she prefers. Since there are multiple litter boxes, trying different litters in each, and perhaps having coverings on some, but not all, could help.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

fembot posted:

Thank you for all the advice everyone! She seems to be doing much better, I got a new, small litterbox and hid it in the corner of a room. There's litter all over the carpet, but that's better than poop.

This morning though, Simba threw up. I wouldn't really be concerned about it if not for her problems lately. I tried to think if she's had any behavioral changes, and recently I've noticed that she's been getting knots in the fur around her neck (she's a long-haired cat, and I try to brush her at least every two days, but they're still showing up) and her paws are absolutely filthy. I feel completely paranoid, like I'm being a ridiculous overprotective mother, but on the other hand I'm scared you all are going to tell me I should have rushed her to the vet ages ago. Help me PI :(

Well, one of the ways cats demonstrate that they're not feeling well is a change in behavior, in your case, not using the litter box. As you recently added a new cat, it was logical to assume that the litter box change was because of the new cat, thus it being a purely behavioral thing. But, combining a new behavior, vomiting, as well as a decrease in grooming... it could suggest some underlying medical issue. Or it could still be completely behavior, by Simba being stressed out about the other cat.

To be completely sure, a vet visit, or at least consultation with said vet, would be best.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Cassiope posted:

Are there any diseases/parasites I should be worried about if my dog is playing with and rubbing faces with an unknown cat? The cat is staying inside my house at night so there is a fair bit of contact, and I'm going to go pick up a litterbox today.

Also are there any downsides to putting a collar with a little bell on a cat? boyfriend thinks it will aggravate her a lot but I'd like for her to not kill birds and things, now that she will be getting a steady supply of food from us.

First things I think of are fleas, then stomach/intestine parasites. If I brought an outside cat of unknown origin into my home, I'd go get a fecal test (from vet) for the cat. I might even get one for the dog if they've had a lot of contact and I really wanted to be sure. Dogs can sometimes love munching on kitty poo.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

a life less posted:

Lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea (regular and bloody) and fever are all signs of Parvovirus. It's very dangerous to puppies, and if they're affected they can die even with treatment.

Considering you saw a vet and they didn't immediately think it was parvo, maybe it is indeed just a flu or whatever. But considering how serious it can be I'd be on my vet's rear end about this and/or get a second opinion at a different vet clinic.

Read more about it here: http://www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm

It sounds like she's getting better. If it was indeed a Parvovirus infection that would kill her, she would not be getting better. Don't hit the panic button if she's starting to eat and drink again, even if it's not yet normal amounts. Her stool's getting better, which, if it was Parvo, would be worse.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

PurpleJesus posted:

Quick puppy update. Called the vet and let them know that she still hasn't eaten much (just a few bites) but is keeping all the water down and has been slightly more active. She chased one of the cats a little and was kinda trotting when I took her out a little bit ago. They told me to call tomorrow morning and update them and if she isn't doing any better, they'll do a bunch of tests on her.

Excellent! She sounds on the up (still be vigilant though!). I know some people want to know exactly what caused their pet's sickness... but as with people, sometimes it's just a transient thing... virus, dietary indiscretion... and they clear up and go on with their lives.
But! If she's not doing better tomorrow morning, definitely vet call/visit to see if something's still going on.
Also, in regards to picture. OMG SO CUTE.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Bobatron posted:

My parents have a dog that we think has epilepsy. He has shaking seizures about once a month or less. There is no real warning for when they will come on, he'll be sleeping one minute and the next he'll be shaking uncontrollably. The weird thing is he seems to be conscious during the attack and still seems to retain some muscle control.

Is there any real benefit to getting treatment for the dog besides making sure it isn't something environmental?

You said while he was sleeping. Is it always when he's sleeping? If it has ever happened when he was awake, did he get panicky/excited beforehand?

What's he like after he's done shaking? Is he his normal self? Is he disoriented?

Seizures can be nasty. If you don't get them treated, they might not progress... but if they do happen to progress, then he could have some serious problems related to having seizures... multiple in a day, or a very prolonged seizure (status epilepticus) that can lead to brain damage.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

PurpleJesus posted:

Welp, Violet is going back to the vet tonight. She's gone back to not eating after eating pretty well for the last couple days. At least this time, she's more alert and wants to play with her toys and run around. She's still drinking plenty of water too. But she's only 9 weeks old so she really can't afford to not be eating.

Are you certain she hasn't been able to get into anything other than her own food? I always get suspicious when the cats aren't bugging me for food... I then go searching for the cat food bag they've (usually) stolen away and ripped open, eating several pounds of food and turning into lumps for several hours.

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 17, 2011

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

PurpleJesus posted:

Yep, she's barely been out of my sight since Monday. But when my wife got home, she tried to feed her and she ate just fine. And she's crazy energetic like she was before she got sick this week. Maybe it was just the last stand of whatever bug she had?

It's also possible that she's responding to your emotions, so if you're really worried, she might get nervous about it and not know what's really going on. Or if you've manhandled her at all trying to get her to eat/drink/go to the vet recently, she might be wary of you trying to do it again.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Crooked Booty posted:

There's also a transdermal medication option -- it's basically a little gel pen, and you apply the prescribed amount to the cat's ear. This stuff is pretty new and many vets are still skeptical, so they don't all carry it or offer it, but anecdotally it works pretty well. The dosages and absorption probably aren't nearly as consistent as with a pill, but it's an option if pills start making him miserable.

Whoa! That sounds neat! What's it called? My preliminary search on transdermal methimazole (hyperthyroid med) seemed pretty promising... and the idea of doing it transdermally instead of shoving pills down their throats is awesome.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Lackadaisical posted:

How can you tell if a lazy cat is lethargic? She literally sleeps most of the day. That's normal for her.

And I love her too but OH DEAR GOD. I try to spook her at night when she keeps trying to cuddle with me but she won't budge. I try to pick her up and move her. She waits until I'm asleep to crawl back.

I've been trying to do things like clip her nails to make her love me a little less but it just isn't working!

Now would be the perfect time to start a teeth brushing regimen!

Unless you already do that...

I have noticed this with my cats as well. Sometimes, they just REALLY love you and want to be in your lap OMG NAO. Then the next day, I pick up the cat for a nice lap warmer and WHACK! I get my response and a hissing cat running away looking all distraught and violated.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Does the diarrhea make a horrendous stench? I assume that because you didn't post about it means it didn't... but I still have to ask.

Other questions to think about (as the vet will ask you these as well):
Has she been eating normally?
Can you give us an idea of this varied diet?
How has her activity level been?
It sounds like she's an outdoor cat. Is she up to date on vaccines?
When was her last vet visit?
How old is she?

Don't worry about answering those questions here... just get your information ready for a vet visit.

I do have to reiterate that bloody poo is a bad thing that a vet should see sooner rather than later. It can be a variety of things, from benign to malignant, and we can't tell that here.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

wraithgar posted:

You're sure gonna try though aren't you?

I asked my vet once about a little bit of blood I saw in my cat's stool. They said that bright blood in the stool was usually a case of a hard poop that made a little tear in the colon and wasn't a huge worry if the cat didn't have any other symptoms. It's the darker blood in the stool (I never asked how you were supposed to notice dark blood in the stool) that was worrisome and a 'vet, now' situation.

Also this was the kind of question they answered over the phone, for free. So maybe try to call a vet and see what they say?

e:f,b

So the bloody mucoid diarrhea sounds like a hard poo to you?

And, ya, noticing the darker blood in stool can be quite subjective. Is it really dark, or only slightly dark? Is it from blood, or what the cat ate? It's a tough call.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

It seems to be organic stuff, and not randomly distributed, but definitely at the roots. The affected hairs are in two roughly symmetric patches on her flanks:

I would very much recommend that you follow the previous suggestion and put some of the organic matter under some water while on a piece of paper, then rub it in the paper to see what color it is. If it's red, it's probably fleas. But...

The reason I'm asking is because flea dirt is little black bits within the fur, and one of your pictures was of little black bits actually stuck to the hair (both shaft and root). THAT is called a follicular cast, and is a pretty characteristic lesion for folliculitis, which is inflammation of the hair follicle. It's caused by a variety of things (bacterial infection, fungal infection, mites, etc., but not fleas) so that requires diagnostic tests.

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 25, 2011

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Eggplant Wizard posted:

But that's not a calico :ssh: He's just a brown tabby.

I think he's a dilute tortoiseshell, tbh. Those markings aren't really tabby to me... have any pictures of the rest of him?

I ask because male tortoiseshell (and calico) are exceedingly rare, and thus freaking awesome... so I want pics (and more evidence one way or another). XXY ftw!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Crooked Booty posted:

are you serious?

Actually, yes. His markings are quite indistinct, and without the rest of the cat, I can't see if it's actually tabby or not. His face could be luck of the draw. I can be convinced, and it's not like I'm calling anyone stupid for not thinking my way. I'm simply giving my opinion.

Besides, I get really excited with a cat that's XXY. Not to mention a friend of mine recently found out her male was actually a calico after several years, because they finally found a small orange patch on his belly. So... body shots plz.

Also, when someone claims to have a male calico, I want to know why they thought so in the first place (as it's such a rare thing), not to immediately assume they're wrong.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Topoisomerase posted:

He's not dilute in any way, nor is he a tortoiseshell. Brown tabby. Look at the brown on the cat's face that you may be mistaking for orange - there is a distinct symmetrical dark brown tabby pattern on it, it can't be orange.

With the new pictures, I think his back patterns are too disorganized for the tabbies I've seen... still leaning towards not tabby... but Chaco's right. It doesn't really matter.

Friend's cat hasn't been karyotyped because it's not that important to know... it just made sense since he's FABULOUS... but that got me thinking... what is the incidence of XXY in cats, and what is the incidence of chimerism? I've been looking, but haven't found anything yet.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

I took her in to the vet, who didn't have any positive conclusions about what the stuff is. Last night, I did the water test and the particle didn't break up nor turn red. The vet did it more thoroughly and got the same result. The vet doesn't think it's fleas, in any case. She noted it was greasy and that was probably causing Callie not to groom back there.

I'm going to switch Callie back to Purina One, her last food, to see if it helps in the long term. In the short term, I'll give her a bath and try to degrease that area in particular.

While I haven't noticed other major changes in her coat, I thought Callie's fur was a bit smoother after switching to Blue Buffalo Wilderness. If it's causing this sort of skin reaction though, I'd be glad to switch back to a known safe product.

I'm glad you took her in! I hope she gets better soon! If it doesn't, a veterinary dermatologist sees these things daily, and could be your go to source.

Topoisomerase: It's cuz of money. :(

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

drat Bananas posted:

Edit: Is there a good way to weigh a dog without that lovely vet office-visit fee? I mean, holding him and weighing yourself with a bathroom scale would probably work for dogs up to about corgi-sized but uh. Giant golden. Yikes.

Where I used to work, if a client was working on helping their pet lose weight, we wouldn't charge for the quick walk back to the weight scale. Maybe your vet will do the same... tbh, I don't really see why not, as it doesn't take much time at all, in addition to helping your dog get healthier by losing the weight.

If Goldendoodle scares you, http://balanceit.com/ficalculator/p01_index.php works as well. It's a company owned/run by veterinary nutritionists, fyi. As long as the calculator works though, it doesn't really matter who has the calculator.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Crooked Booty posted:

With the elimination diets, how long has she tried them? It can take about three months on a strict diet to see good results, and during that period the dog can ONLY eat the limited ingredient food - no treats, chews, table scraps, etc. Did she do that?

Just wanted to throw in anything else that goes in the mouth. Supplements, herbal remedies, doggie toothpaste... literally, ANYTHING that has any possibility of having protein in it. I'd even be hesitant about using the same toys.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Crooked Booty posted:

:doh:

:glomp:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

That thing I sent posted:

How worried should I be about my dog's change in bathroom habits? It's only been in the past day or so, but normally she pees 4 times a day and poops twice. Yesterday she only peed twice, and then this morning she didn't poop at all and it took her much longer to go pee than usual. She's been eating and drinking normal amounts, seems to have good energy, but I worry :ohdear: I'm like an old jewish mother with my dog. Do they do this sometimes, is it something I should keep an eye on, or should I run her to the vet as a just in case?

If you realllllly want peace of mind, then a vet call is in order. However, as long as she's still eating/drinking the same amount, I wouldn't worry. If she took longer to pee, but only peed twice, then perhaps she decided to hold it for a bit longer, thus having more to pee. Maybe she'll defecate later, and it'll be more.

Usually the worry is if...
A: They are drinking a lot more and peeing a lot more
B: They are eating a lot more or really wanting to eat everything in the house (if they didn't want to before)
C: If they are straining to urinate/defecate
D: If the frequency increases by a significant amount

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Pollux Troy:
Pancreatitis can most certainly affect appetite. It can also lead to vomiting. The blood work should come back with some more definitive results. Pancreatitis in general can be treated fairly easily, usually by maintaining hydration and feeding bland diets until it passes. For more severe cases of pancreatitis... antivomiting meds, feeding tubes... things like that could be needed. However, sometimes pancreatitis can be caused by more sinister things (infection, cancer), so those carry different treatments and, in general, a poorer prognosis. At this point, there are a lot of things that could be going on (as you mentioned oddly shaped kidneys), and so getting more information is key.

Grape Soda:
If they look like hairballs, then I wouldn't worry that much since he's eating and doing everything else normally. If you really want to be careful, keeping a 'vomiting log' so that you can remind yourself/give something to the vet if it continues/gets worse is a good idea.

Obligatory Toast:
Cats tend to have more sensitive airways than dogs do. It can sometimes be harder to get tubes down as well (even using the right size tube). I would recommend giving your vet a call and asking if there was anything amiss with the tube placement/procedure, and to let them know of the change in voice.

Emasculatrix:
Anything given by mouth can make the stomach/intestines a bit unhappy. What kind of meds are they? Some meds are more associated with stomach/intestine upset than others.

Eggplant Wizard:
It depends on what the traps do. Are they simply the catching traps, or do they have chemicals in them to kill the roaches? What the active ingredients are will determine whether or not they are likely to be harmful to the kitties, even in low amounts (as it could be low amounts over a longer period of time). Check the label if you can find it. If you want more information, http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/ is good, as well as the ability to call if need be.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Fipronil is the stuff in Frontline. For a point of reference, studies in rats generally find that 97 milligrams fipronil per kilogram of rat is lethal to half of them. Since that's the evidence out there, if you have any way of finding the total amount of fipronil in the trap, you could extrapolate how much your kitties could get if theoretically one of them decided to eat the trap...

I decided to look up fipronil roach traps and found one made by Bayer. It gave a total net weight of 108 grams for 72 bait stations (1.5grams per unit), with the 'Active Ingredient' Fipronil being 0.05%. For the sake of being simple, I decided to see how much 0.05% is of 108 grams. 108 grams = 108,000 milligrams. 108,000 mg * 0.05% = 54 mg. Assuming your cat eats every one of the 72 bait stations... that's not a lot of fipronil.

I'd make sure to clean up roaches when you find them, and to keep the bait traps away from the kitties, but really, I don't see a big problem from the fipronil unless your cats have a sensitivity to fipronil.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Pollux Troy:
Excellent! Getting back his appetite is a good sign. I wish him a speedy recovery!

Eggplant Wizard:
Hockeypucks! Ha! Luckily, that doesn't sound like a lot of fipronil at all!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Totally TWISTED posted:

Flea/Tick Medicine & Collars: I have a question or two.

I have two puppies, Great Pyrenees mixed with *something* (rescue dogs found on the side of a road), current weights 32 and 35 pounds, 5 months old. We also have an adult cat that resides in the same house (I have seen that some treatments are poisonous to cats?). I live in TN and tick season is about to come out in full force. What should I get/do?

For combined flea and tick action, Advantix and Frontline Plus are likely your best options. Advantix is toxic to cats, but depending on how much exposure the cat has to the dogs, it may be fine to use on the dogs. Frontline Plus comes in both dog and cat versions I believe. Some vets only carry one type or the other since they pretty much do the same thing, and some areas claim to have resistance in their bugs to one brand or the other, so asking your vet is probably a good way to pick one.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

MeKeV posted:

We let the vet have a look and she said she'd remove it, but then started talking about sedation (which to us seemed a bit unnecessary), and gave us a fee quote of £180 (GBP) which seemed way over the top for, in essence, a bit of cosmetic chopping.

Is it true sedation or anesthesia? I'm not too sure of vet costs across the pond, but doing a currency conversion shows that in USD it would be $300, which is high for a simple skin tag removal.

Is it really just the skin tag removal + sedation/anesthesia? Is there a laboratory fee in there for sending the skin tag off to lab? Were there pain meds/antibiotics added onto the bill? Pre-anesthetic bloodwork?

I would also ask your vet if there were cheaper routes you could take with the skin tag removal. Just asking them might yield some ways to cut costs, as I don't really know what exactly makes up the estimate.

Edit:
RumbleFish
It's really tricky to know what to do in that situation. Do you go to the people and complain? Do you go to a higher authority first? In my opinion, I would go higher authority first. If you go to the people, they will know that you are watching, and if you have to end up doing something that'll piss them off, then they'll know (or at least think) it was you. Though, you could also try communicating with them anonymously, either by leaving typed notes (no handwriting!) or by contacting the apartment manager (although if the dog isn't barking, there isn't much they can do anyway).

Neglect cases are really hard to fix.

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 21, 2011

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Ceridwen posted:

The vet suggested supplements (fish oil, folic acid, and one other I forget atm), but he appears to be allergic to them, as he started snorting and coughing when we started giving them to him. Still working on trying to find something that will work for him in that department. Switching his food may be an option down the road (he gets the Kirkland food atm, not amazing, but decent and affordable).

I'm not entirely convinced that's an allergic reaction (logic below)... could be that the supplements taste icky... then again, respiratory signs as the reaction could mean that the reaction to whatever it is he's reacting to is a nasty reaction, so to be on the safe side, ya, avoiding them would probably be a good idea, but... did you call the vet and tell them this, seeing as it was what was prescribed? Did they recommend switching/anything?

Here's the logic behind the ingredients/reactions:

First, I've seen some of the Kirkland dog food ingredients and there are mentions of 'fish meal' in some of them. If he was allergic to fish, that would've shown earlier if he is on those diets. Not to mention that oils don't really have that much protein in them (if any) in the first place to cause allergic reactions, but it could happen. Second, depending on what the folic acid is compounded in/with, maybe there's an allergic reaction there, but I doubt that he could be allergic to folic acid itself as it's a really small molecule (compared to proteins) and unlikely to be enough of a trigger to the immune system... not to mention that it's also an ingredient in the Kirkland dog food as well as a required nutrient. The third supplement I can't comment on.

Edit:
OMG he's adorable! I love the name.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Ceridwen posted:

The snorting wasn't a right after eating thing, but something that continued all day for several days before we realized it had started right when he started the supplements. We stopped them and sure enough it stopped by the end of the next day.

(like he was constantly trying to clear out his nose)

She'd call but for some reason (possibly the dog's name, we're in a very conservative area), the receptionist at the vet's office hates her and is as unhelpful as possible every time she's called previously.

that she put the dog on a brand supplement that did not even contain very much of the things he told her she needed to supplement (wtf?) and they did a complete poo poo job with her cat when she took it in to get SoftPaws.

Very interesting with the reaction... that's definitely something for the vet to check out...

But it sucks that the receptionist hates you. Some people just don't have a sense of humor these days...

A supplement that didn't have the ingredients he needed in the frist place? That's really odd... do you remember the name at all? I'm a big fan of researching all the various supplements people give their pets. Some of them are really good and I take note of those to recommend for later, while other ones give me a fantastic chuckle and I try to explain how/why they... well... need supplementing themselves...

In any case, I wish Lucifer luck!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

PurpleJesus posted:

Is it common for littermates to be really different sizes? My wife and I adopted Violet about 7 weeks ago and by coincidence, one of my wife's friends adopted Violet's brother, Dexter, from the shelter at the same time. They were pretty much the same size at the time. My wife was talking to her friend on Facebook yesterday and he told her that Dexter is up to 22 lbs. Meanwhile, Violet is at 13 lbs. It just seems odd to me that there would be such a size difference so quickly.

That is a large size difference, however there are many factors that could come to play...

If I remember right, weren't you the one (rather, Violet) who had the diarrhea? It could be that during the time she didn't get the utmost of nutrients (and was using energy fighting off whatever caused that malady), and thus not the highest growth potential at the time.

Also, are their body conditions the same? If Violet's a svelt 4/9 on the scale, with Dexter tipping it at 9/9, then Dexter's bigger because they're fat, not because they're actually 'bigger.'

Third, it is possible it's a case of 'who's your daddy?!' and Violet and Dexter only have the same mother. It's possible with dogs (usually more common with cats) to have multiple fathers to one litter.

Finally, it's possible that Violet could be on the short end of the growth stick. Was she the runt? Was she just small at that time? Were they the same size at adoption?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

crime fighting hog posted:

Not that I can tell, he carries on like normal, never seems to notice it. My money is on a growth or benign. Thanks so far everyone.

Just because pictures can sometimes hide the 3-D aspects... as sure, if it is a definite bump coming off the ear, you've heard the various possibilities, which I could drone on about if you so desire. :science:

I dunno, there's just something itching at me (heh, I make funny) that makes me want to ask if, perhaps, this scab 'used' to be the tip of the ear. Thus, it's not necessarily a growth coming off the tip of the ear (which it did look like the tip was involved, growth from there or tip is involved itself), but the tip of the ear itself changing. If it is, in fact, the tip of the ear turning to look like that, there's a whole other list of possibilities it could be. :science: (Which still involves going to the vet)

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Superconsndar posted:

e;^^^^^^ bitch :argh:

It's a chow

Well, I agree since I don't see a sheath, but it's kinda hard to tell with this picture... heh...

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Wonder Bra posted:

Also-- a cone for 14 days after neutering? Our vet never even gave us a cone! Corwin licked his stitches a few times but stopped when we told him to and didn't even seem to know that something had happened to him. By day 5 he was at the park again. Healed up very nice.

The usual recommendation (at least that I see) is 10-14 days, since that's when any visible sutures get taken out by the vet, and it gives ample time to recover. Personally, I'd keep a cone on for that long because it doesn't take much time at all for an animal to either a) ninja the sutures out, or b) lick themselves raw and inflamed. Then they need to keep the cone on longer, and antibiotics become a more likely reality.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Bacteriophage posted:

Oh my god my dog might have lymphoma. The vet said it's 50/50 if it's a tick borne disease or lymphoma. We should get the lab results back tonight or tomorrow. If it's lymphoma I don't know what we're going to do. Gordon is our big stupid baby - I just can't think about something like this happening to him. We went over some options but I just don't know, everything just sounded terrible and I just lost it in the vet's office.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I know the answers won't be good but I don't know. I just need to hear something.

Lymphoma has a wide range in what it does. Some kinds of lymphoma can be really bad (as in it could be a few months), but other kinds are less bad (1-2 years) and can be treatable. Depending on the type, which will be determined by diagnostic tests done by your vet, you can get a treatment plan. This can include surgery, steroids, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, etc.

Lymphoma grading is done based on presence of clinical signs, and what it looks like under a microscope.

It all depends on what the diagnostic tests say.

EDIT
Deviating septum: Even the most excellent food could cause urine concentration problems in some cats. It just depends. There's a debate on whether or not crystals are even the big problem in feline lower urinary tract disease (inflammation, protein, are thought to be big players too), but urinary diets should be followed. However, Abbeh is correct in that increased water is one of the best ways to help prevent urinary issues. Either wet food, or wetting down dry food (though getting dry food to wet food water status is difficult), or even getting your kitty to drink more regular water from a bowl or otherwise is good.

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 22, 2011

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

demons_souls posted:

My goldfish just died is he okay?
The thing is when my goldfish died he wasn't moving. Can anyone help me out im really confused?!

Your fish died of Mycobacterium Marinum and you should go to your doctor now because you're going to have tons of red granulomas growing everywhere that will cause your friends to shun you.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

AltruisticNemesis posted:

Did they do any radiographs? Cats (and some dogs) get some wild hair up their rear end and decide to jump off high edges, and they call it "high rise syndrome", so it's possible she didn't slip. Cats are notorious for hiding pain symptoms. If they did radiographs they can check for any fractures. Most common fractures are front legs and the mandible. Since she isn't eating I would suspect it's a response to pain or possible she broke her mandible where both sides meet at the chin. There isn't connective bone there, but rather strong cartilage. If she will let you, try manipulating the bottom jaw, if it's super wiggly/flexible or if she cries out and tries to kill you it's probably a fracture.

I would definitely contact your vet again, especially since she's not eating. And I know rads can be pretty pricey, but it's better than a fracture going untreated. Also rads might be able to let the DVM know if there is any internal trauma. 7 stories is serious business. Hopefully everything turns out ok.

The most common reasons for the fall are either an accidental slip, or due to pursuing a wild animal (bird) and trying to catch it and not realizing where they were, not a 'Oh a ledge, time to jump yay! :downs:'

I do find it odd that the e-vet didn't take radiographs to check for fractures or contusions of things that are hard to palpate, particularly with this kind of fall. However, a thorough physical might have made the e-vet feel confident that kitty didn't get that hurt.

The crunching/gurgling while petting sounds a bit like air under the skin (subcutaneous emphysema). Internal bleeding shows up quick - either a distended belly, passing out, or breathing problems. Still, air under the skin is odd, and I'd like an opinion on where it's coming from, if that's what it actually is.

Interesting thing is that a theory of High Rise Syndrome is that cats falling from >6 stories have less injury than cats falling <6 stories, possibly due to terminal velocity and relaxation during the higher fall that allows them to survive/have less injury. Though, that theory has been called into question by a Croatian group, so we'll see what goes through the pipes in terms of High Rise Syndrome.

Insanite:
I wouldn't consider that to be bizarrely fast. Consider a dog spay, that has more organs being removed (ovaries and uterus) and more blood vessels being tied off than a kidney surgery, and they can go home just as fast. Sure, a kidney sounds like a big deal, but really, they are somewhat an easier organ to remove than dog ovaries/uterus. It's the way kidneys are set up - all their blood vessels and all their associated tubes all come in at the same place, so finding what needs to be tied off is relatively easy. In addition, kidneys have the ability to move around, so they are easier to find/manipulate in surgery. Something like liver or spleen is harder because they have more vessels, and they can be harder to manipulate without traumatizing something you don't want to traumatize.

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 25, 2011

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Yeah we're going to tell you to take him to the vet. Worst case scenario, it gets so infected that he loses his eye. That'll be a lot more expensive.

If you don't want to listen to that, then I suggest you at least wash the wound with an alcohol solution or hydrogen peroxide.

Although I do agree with the 'loss of eye is bad part' of this reply...

I am quite tempted to express myself exactly like Chaco did. However, I am trying to be a nicer person. This is an extremely difficult case, because...

The MSDS for BOTH of these recommendations explicitly says NOT. NOT the eye. Causes redness, pain, and irritation in THE EYE, which is where the grass-thingy in the original question came from.

In fact, hydrogen peroxide isn't even appropriate to use in cuts, but people still use it anyway. It hampers the body's ability to heal at that local site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Blenheim posted:

Hm. One of the tiny ones is on her cheek. Might excision cause any deformity? Anyone had a mast cell or mole excision on a dog's cheek?

Recommended excision for mast cell tumors is 3 cm all around (unless it's low grade, then 2cm can work)... imagine a sphere with the mass at the center. If you're talking about a more benign lump, a far closer incision (<1cm) could be curative.

It's also worse to cut something out small first, find out it's bad, and go back in to 'finish the job.' The tissue planes have been disturbed, there is fluid draining around (and potentially yanking cancer cells elsewhere), there's an incision that will need to be taken out completely (because it's now contaminated with bad cells)... it's just icky. Sampling is usually the way to go, find out what's up, and yank it out based on what it is. However, even mast cell tumors with unclean margins might not come back, but it's an odds game.

wtftastic: Most of the worry from aspirations seeding cancer cells deals with a cancer of the bladder (Transitional Cell Carcinoma). I've heard a horror story of one of those aspirated and *time passes* there's this line of 'beads' for lack of better description, coming from the bladder to the body wall in a strangely straight line. For that reason people recommend taking samples through bladder/urethra. I've heard vague rumors of other cancers potentially doing the same thing, but for the most part, I hear it with TCCs of the bladder.

On heartworms:
Crooked Booty's got it (though I know of a 2 shot regimen over 2 days, or a 1 shot, then 1 month later get the 2 shot regimen over 2 days, depending on the clinical signs). The shots hurt a lot because immiticide needs to be given intramuscularly, and it causes pretty significant tissue damage. Also, not getting a dog treated for adult heartworms long term would be worse than the discomfort from the shots. Heart failure isn't fun. Neither is allowing a dog to produce heartworm babies for mosquitoes to eat and spit back out in another dog.