Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Kerfuffle posted:

I was sitting outside on my 2nd floor balcony and got bit by a flea. Our upstairs neighbors have dogs so I can only guess it came from there. What are my options here to prevent them from possibly infesting my apartment? :( I don't have pets here so this is not a problem I ever expected to deal with.

Get some potted marigolds for the balcony outside, they look nice and keep fleas away. Wear a mild bug-spray for a few days. If you see any more, look into Diatomaceous Earth. Just sprinkle DE in the carpets, under the cabinets and any sources of water, and under apliances. Let it sit for two or three days before vacuuming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

thylacine posted:

7y old Basset.

The vet emptied her butt glands in June but 3-4 days ago she started acting like they were bothering her again. After watching some Youtube vidjas I decided to do it myself. I thought I got most of the juice out (they felt about chickpea sized, and now they don't feel any size.) Did I not get it all the way out or what because she's still acting like they're a problem.

What do you feed? Did the vet express any concerns about infection? Is the animal overweight?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

thylacine posted:

Beneful Health Weighty (prob get yelled at for that—it keeps her weight down and she likes it.)

Didn't say anything about infection, just that they were full when he emptied them. When I did it last night the sauce was clear to light brown and smelled normal. I did just do it last night, perhaps some was stuck in the tube as I took her for a walk at the park a minute ago where she had a healthy dump and wasn't trying to lick her butt on the way home.

I think she's around 55 lbs. She has an hourglass shape from above, her udders hang down past her chest but the rest of her abdomen curves up decently-I tried to get a picture but she thinks all I want to do is poke her butt if she's standing now, ha.

Is she fixed? Recent nursing litter?

The food is not optimal, but if you've had picky food issues in the past, I'll leave it. You might want to consider feeding a higher quality food, in smaller amounts, if weight control is the issue.

May I also suggest canned pumpkin? Not the sweetened pie stuff, just straight boiled into a tin. It's an easy way to introduce fiber into the diet, which makes poops more plentiful, which naturally expresses the anal glands.

Also, I am not a vet. Consult your real vet before making any dietary changes.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Testikles posted:

My sister's cat is acting like a god damned prick and I want it to stop.

Have you tried Feliway? Do you have any cat toys? Cat dancers and laser pointers work great.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

So I just signed a new lease for an apartment that allows dogs. It's been almost 5 years since I've had a dog, and I'm at an impasse. I don't know if I want a puppy or a younger rescue dog. I have the time and experience for the puppy, but I've never had a rescue dog and I want to be sure of the dog's personality before I take it home. I'm also unsure of dog breeds. I'd like a medium to large dog kind of stopping around a Shepherd in size. As for the amount of energy I don't want anything I have to exercise all day, but keeping it active wont be an issue at all. Basically I want to have a dog again, but I don't want to jump into anything and I really don't know where to start. I've looked at the local spca but they seem to be older dogs(8-10 year range) and I don't want my heart broken in a couple of short years and none of them said they were good with kids, which is something they'd have to put up with, supervised of course, whenever friends come over with their kids.

Have you looked at Petfinder? Sounds like you need a gangly young lab mix.
https://www.petfinder.com/

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I was really considering going with a golden retriever so I think I that's the breed I'm gonna go for.

A Golden would probably be good for you too, just keep in mind that their temperments can stray really far from the stereotypical Doofy Lovable. I was good friends with a guy who only rescued senior goldens. One was chill and great with kids (Rosie), the next one was hyper, loved to play, but not fond of kids(Jelly), then the other was aloof and hard to get to know, a real loner, (Murray). He's gotten another one in the years since I moved, she's aparently a snugglebug and smart as a whip. So get to know your dog as much as possible before taking them home, just because they look like a golden does not mean they will act like what anyone thinks they're supposed to.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

keykey posted:

Can anyone recommend flea meds other than Frontline Plus? We've used FLP for years and it seems to not be working at all for the past 6 months. I'm not opposed to going to either a monthly topical between shoulder blades or even trying chewables. As far as price, I'm cool with paying up to $60 a month just to get rid of the little fuckers. We have pest control service as well, but we live in the country on 20 open acres meaning our dogs and other dogs in the area often associate with each other... Soooo that also provides an extra challenge.

I for one love Comfortis for my dog. It's a chewable tablet, easy to give if you crush it into food. Works like a charm, and for some reason it calms down Max's hot spots. That's a pretty off-label use for it though. It is a bit pricey, Max is 25lbs and it's 90-110 bux for a 3 month supply.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

kitten posted:

It is a bit pricey, but not that pricey. I got six months for 60-120 lbs for $113 actually from her vet. Its about ten dollars more on online sites if you can get your vet to send in the prescription.

No wait, that's trifexis. But that's still oral, and it does a lot.

Misremembered, it's actually a 6 month supply. Petmeds has it for 87, but I had problems with them the past two times I bought from them. I just pick it up at the vet, they're a good clinic and I'd rather give them the money.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Dr. Chaco posted:

Hot spots are usually due to allergies, and flea allergy is the most common, so no that's exactly what Comfortis is intended to prevent. In fact, treating hot spot without treating for the underlying allergy (ie, usually fleas) is unlikely to be successful.

His hot spots are caused mostly by St. Augustine grass. Ain't no pill that can kill a HOA required lovely lawn. The fleas bug him too, but he generally never has them now, due to the comfortis and lots of pest control. But it's weird, always around the 28th day of the pill, Max gets a little itchy and chewy on his paws and butt. The scheduled comfortis calms it all right back down.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 20, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Dr. Chaco posted:

Chewing his butt is about as specific for flea allergies as you can get...The paws you can possibly blame on the grass.

I do not doubt that he has some kind of flea allergy, however, when we lived in the north, where there are fleas and no st. Augustine grass, he did not chew on himself. He also loves going to my friend's place to stay because she has Zoyza grass. His little bit of residual redness clears up a bit too after a week of being dogsat there.

I will continue to give him his magical happy flea pill. It has powers.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Feb 21, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The teeth alone costs like 800, might as well get the lump removed too. Max had a similar procedure done at 12. He's a healthy little poodlemutt though. Guess it just depends on the overall health of the animal. Max is 15 now, a little more delicate. We just leave his lumps alone and give him greenies.

Honestly, if you can get the lumps removed, do it. They are most likely just old man bumps. They can gross looking.

Of course, bring any concerns to your vet. Follow all pre and post op instructions.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

So our yellow lab has been having a bit of a flea problem lately. Wanted to ask a couple questions, and get feedback on my plan to deal with it.

We live in San Francisco and take the dog to a dog park 2-3 times per day (we live 1/2 a block away). The park is always filled with many dogs and often a few napping homeless as well (i.e., flea heaven). Over the past month or so, we've noticed maybe 5-7 fleas per week on the dog. Haven't found more than one at once even with pretty thorough combing, and he doesn't seem to be very itchy or have much/any flea dirt on him. He's been on monthly Frontline Plus since we've had him (2+ years).

With the climate in SF and the frequency we take him to the park, am I correct to assume that we'll probably always find the errant flea crawling around on him before FLP gets a chance to kill it? I definitely don't want to let this problem get any worse, but also want to set realistic expectations for my own sanity's sake.

My plan is to:
1) Increase vacuuming
2) Spray some anti-flea stuff on his rest areas and carpets
3) Switch from FLP to Advantix II, and maybe to a q3w schedule instead of monthly
4) Add in Sentinel for the flea egg killing (and replace his current Heartgard)

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for any advice!

A few spritzes on the body (not near the eyes) before the dog-park with a pungent essential oil based flea repellent could help. I use a mix of Eucalyptus, Bergamont, and Lemongrass in a mineral oil carrier on myself and Max. Smells amazing. Do not, however, use this on cats, they are sensitive to some essential oils. I know it sounds super hippie, but I've found it to work because it's just so darn pleasant smelling.

That, and Comfortis keeps Max flea free.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Anjow posted:

Can anyone recommend a dog lead attachment for a pedal bike? I've seen some on Amazon but I'm specifically after one which can both hold the lead and keep it away from the bike, and allow my dog to pull the bike (he enjoys it too much).

I think it's generally discouraged to let dogs pull a bicyclist. However, Bikejoring is a thing. http://www.bikejor.com/

however,

quote:

This page focuses on being safe while bikejoring.

Ha, ha , ha, safety? You have got to be kidding!

If you want to TRY to avoid injury, consider the following things:

You WILL be thrown off the bike, plan for it. Wear long sleeves, gloves, padding, etc. Figure out how you want to come off your bike and fall (roll).
As for attaching, they seem to use a tow line attached to the handlebars. You'll also want to invest in a harness, as pulling by the collar is super uncomfortable for extended periods of time.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
You could always hook him up to a 4 wheel scooter instead, that's a lot more stable and slower. And training a dog to pull IN HARNESS can have benefits. It can teach them that harness = pull time and collar = walk nice. What kind of dog do you have?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Anjow posted:

Half malamute, half border collie. He just loves working!

Oh my god. Make him power a turbine, he will solve the energy crisis.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

JD Bucks 7 posted:

Is their a forum consensus on a good dog shampoo? Or, a few brands? My dog gets into all sorts of messes in the spring and want a decent shampoo if I am giving her baths more frequently.

Diluted Dawn Dishsoap. Aka DirtyDog strength shampoo. Can not be beat for price or cleaning ability. For weekly baths, dilute a squirt of it in an empty bottle, gently fill with water, shake, then use the whole bottle. Follow up with a light dog conditioner if you notice skin or fur dryness.

The Bananana posted:

Lol, I appreciate the replies. I live in the city and have a fenced in backyard, so coyotes aren't really an issue. I'm dog sitting, and the little bastard Luke's to pee everywhere, so at night, I figure I'll put him out.

gently caress that. Someone is trusting you to dogsit, and you're just going to leave him outside all night? No loving way. There are better solutions. Let him out more often. Close him in a bathroom with a towel and easily cleaned toy for the night. Dont just throw him outside.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Apr 10, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Roland Jones posted:

When we got one of our cats fixed a few days ago, we also got him microchipped. The information I got with it tells me to register on HomeAgain and says registering with them is free, but their site isn't letting me register without paying. Is there something I'm missing here? I tried to look up more information and found a lot of negative reviews for HomeAgain, which makes me wonder if there's some better alternative to use instead.

Use foundanimals.org, free and easy. Just be sure to note your change of registry on any personal paperwork so you dont get confused later if you need to update or use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Contact police and animal control, they're out and about, and respond to loose dogs.

See if your area has a facebook group. Even if you dont live in it, if there's a nearby housing development with an HOA, they most likely have a group and will put out a post with the dog's information.