Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I remember a while back there was a general bugs/creepy crawlies thread in PI and I quite liked it. One of the things it included or linked to was a terrifying experiment written about in a magazine where moth cocoons were, say, cut in half, then reattached with a hollow glass cylinder between the pieces, and the resulting body horror moths studied (they couldn't fly very well, from memory). Or, say, only the front half of the cocoon was allowed to develop, resulting in only the front half of the moth forming.

It was pretty horrifying (it was heavy on pictures) and I was wondering if anyone has a link to it, because I want to prove to myself that I didn't dream this up. The thread itself was pretty good, too, moths are very cute insects. :) But I can find cute moths everywhere.

e: Oh hey there is an invertebrate thread here still :downs: I'll ask there, but if anyone here knows what I'm talking about, feel free to answer.

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Sanford posted:

I have the book with the pictures in but I'll have to get it out the attic. If you find the pics in the next 24 hours post here, if not I'll sort it for you tomorrow night.

That's great! Thank you. :) I am glad to know I didn't dream up the terrifying moth golems.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Sanford posted:

Here you go. Sorry about quality; no scanner available. If you want a better/closer look at anything just say so.

You can consider the nightmare moths as payback for all those gay centaurs you posted elsewhere :)

Wow, thank you very much! This is exactly it :) This is perfect.

And creepy moth golems do seem like a good penance for all the gay centaurs.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Muscular Typist posted:

My dog's breath used to smell terrible and it turned out he had a rotting molar in the back that was causing it. After the vet extracted the molar the bad breath was completely gone. It might be worth taking him in for a dental exam but it's hard to say because I don't know if your dog's breath is as bad as mine's was. It was kind of a fishy odor.

Similarly, my mother's little dog got a chicken bone stuck in his palate :barf: Once it was removed, his breath was a lot less stinky. And my mother learned why you don't feed cooked chicken bones to small dogs.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

lenoon posted:

he's getting worse, I think, but the vet has assured me he's actually getting better. syringing him water and have another appointment in the morning, but he looks so bad. apparently to be expected and normal, but I can't help but think the worst

edit: they wouldn't keep him overnight but are taking him back in tomorrow

I really hope he gets better :unsmith:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

tinkerttoy posted:

Would you count a spider that's set up shop in your room as a pet if you occasionally feed it the flies that you catch around the house?

Yes, spider friends are great. I used to have a guard spider who set up her web across my window. That way if anyone tried breaking in and climbing in through my window they would get a face full of golden orb weaver.

PS if your spider has a little spider friend she is probably a strong independent woman spider and the small one is Mr Spider. So you will have to call her Frederica or something rather than Fred and occasionally tip your hat to her *m'lady*

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I just assume all spiders are women spiders because I'm a misandrist.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Jizznastics posted:

Is it normal for nuttered male dogs to be horny? I just caught my dog humping the couch cushions and I didn't think I had to deal with this kind of stuff?

Absolutely. My mother's little Border Terrier was infatuated with the older female cattle dog's face and would attempt to get on with it constantly. Even now as a little old man dog he still gets a bit silly around other girl dogs.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Danith posted:

Lol, ok. I wasn't seriously going to spray a dog with mace.

These people around here with the small dogs never seem to control them :|

A lot of people with small dogs do this, hence "small dog syndrome". They think "Oh, he's just a little dog, he can't do any damage if he's acting up" and so don't bother to train the aggressive behaviour out like they would with a bigger dog. And then they act surprised when a bigger dog returns the aggression or gets freaked out, or the little dog manages to do some damage to someone (getting a hard bite from even a little terrier is not great). I have relatives who let their little dogs get away with so much that they would never let their big dogs do (taking food from children, climbing on laps, jumping up, etc), and it does impact on the big dog - whether he gets confused about what is/isn't allowed or starts viewing it as "unfair" (inasmuch as dogs have a sense of fair/unfair).

I would suggest for your roommate to keep an eye out for them and try explaining to them that the Lab gets nervous or upset around aggressive little dogs and why it's something they need to work on as much as him, and why having a small dog doesn't mean you get a free pass to skimp on the training.

I'm not a dog trainer/dogtor though so they might be able to offer more advice.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Danith posted:

Is this a dog thing? Roommates dog came in and decided to go under the desk and get some cords tangled up around her, then got excited over something on the other side of the room and tried to run over there taking my headphones and amp off my desk :(.

Just wondering, I know poo poo happens with animals. Just not used to dogs and not sure if this one is special or all dogs just kinda go OH SHINY and forget about everything

That's a dog thing. Unless they're trained really well, like from birth as working dogs, most dogs have the attention spans of a goldfish. They're very easily excitable and easily distracted.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Yeah, that's a cockatiel. A proper cockatiel fancier (or "cockatologist") will be able to tell you what the proper name for its colouring, have a crack at whether it's a boy or a girl, etc. They are little Australian parrots and are lovely.

I think some people/countries call them quarrions as well, if you're looking for one to keep as a friend.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Hi animal friends!

I've recently got permission to keep a small pet bird or fish at my unit. I'm currently researching what kind of bird I want to keep.

I live in QLD, Australia. My unit is small: one room, which includes a desk, bed, and kitchenette. I share the bathroom with one neighbour who lives next to me. My family and I have kept budgies, cockatiels, and finches before, as well as small to medium sized native birds and poultry (chicken, ducks, pheasants). I'm looking for a bird that is small, friendly, and quiet (some of the other people in my building keep lorikeets which I hear squawking when I put the bins out though). I will probably get a boy bird. I'm a student and hang out at home most of the time because I'm boring.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm reading some of the pet bird threads too. Otherwise I will get a pair of bulgy eyed goldfish.

E: I've also technically got permission to keep a rat, but in my experience they're much too smelly to keep in a unit of my size. There are no cats or dogs in my building.

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 24, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Fraction posted:

you'd probably get better bird recommendations in the bird thread tbh.

FWIW a pair of female rats (in a decent size cage, cleaned once weekly, and any hammocks and other stuff washed when needed) will hardly smell at all.

I've asked them too now, I knew that thread had to be somewhere :cheeky: Thanks!

I have heard that girl rats are almost always a lot less smelly. I've only kept male rats long-term as pets myself, though I've looked after one of my boy rat's previous girlfriends and her daughters while we found homes for them. (Their previous owner, who was a friend of my dad's and heading to jail at the time, as you do, hadn't realised you need to keep adult male and female rats separate or they make more rats.) Three boy rats together, even in a nice big cage, can generate a pungent musk. I personally preferred them to girl rats, smell and all, as they were a lot quieter and more chill. I'll offer to rat-sit some girl rats for a friend for a week or so, to see how much my neighbours and I think they smell.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Kurtofan posted:

Is it ok for a dog to sleep all day during a heatwave?

I stayed with my parents over my long Christmas/summer break last year/early this year (QLD Australia) when we had crazy hot weather. 40+ every day, starting early in the morning and going until well after dark, for weeks until we finally got a storm. The dogs were very tired out and wanted to do nothing but lie around all day, only moving to drink water. Very much the same with people too.

We made sure they had water, including ice water, in their favourite cool spots and the outside dog got a paddling pool of water put in one of his favourite shady spots, so that even if he didn't feel like drinking it or splashing around in it, it would cool him down. (Protip: if you're having an outside meal during a heatwave, soak plain sheets in water and then hang them around your outside area to make "walls" and it will cool you and your guests down immensely. So many Christmas lunches I would never have got through without this.) Inside dogs got fans too.

Mostly the dogs just hung out in their favourite shady places and glared if you tried to take them elsewhere for a walk etc. So I'd personally say this is normal. However I am absolutely not a vet so don't take my word for it if you're worried. Sleeping a lot can also be a sign of other things going badly, so ask your vet too, and keep an eye on your dog.

e: Oh, and we made sure that the long- or thick-haired dogs were well clipped and groomed (Border terrier and Maremma sheepdog). If you've been putting off grooming your dog (either by trimming or by pulling hair out with a Border terrier etc), now is a great time for your dog to do it. Also, remember dogs are naturally more nocturnal than humans, so in summer they're often going to sleep a lot more than usual.

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 5, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Hummingbirds posted:

Sometimes my cat growls in her sleep. I don't really have a question except I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen their animal do this, and should I feel bad for laughing at her?

:catstare:

She is dreaming about being a giant sabre toothed cat and hunting down and eating puny mans! Cats and dogs do it all the time, it is fun to watch them.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

cyberia posted:

When I take my dog (12 pound, 1yr old Havanese) for walks there's a cat that lives down the block; when we walk past the cat's house it comes running out onto the sidewalk and shoves its butt into my dog's face then rubs up on the dog while purring. Is this behaviour friendly or is it, uh, trying to molest my dog?

My grandad's dog and my cousin's cat are gay for one another so, maybe?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Pierson posted:

If I'm allgeric to dogs but want a dog are my options basically to buy a very specific type of dog that doesn't trigger it or to medicate myself basically forever? Or can I brute-force my immune system into not turning me into a collection of rashes and weepy eyes by getting a dog anyway and 'getting used' to being around one?

Depends on "how" you're allergic to the dog/what parts of it. Some people who are allergic to dogs are okay with non-shedding dogs like poodles etc, because it's specifically the hair and bits they react to. Some people are allergic to stuff in their saliva etc so even a "hypoallergenic" dog is no good. I know some people allergic to cats (some of my relatives, for one) can just stay on allergy medication all the time they're around cats and can be fine, but it's not really a solution for having one as a pet.

I'm pretty sure you can't just get used to being around a dog if you're allergic to it, short of gradual exposure as a babby, but who knows? I'm not a dog scientist.

Rub your nose on a poodle and see how you react.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Wasabi the J posted:

My dogs are half a pound of generic gummy worms... I didn't see anything about grapes, xylitol, or chocolate on the ingredients.

Are they gonna be OK?

If your dog is half a pound of gummy worms, you may have to have a party to get the dog all eaten. I would feel guilty about eating half a pound of gummy dog on my own.

In actuality: there may be a lot of pooping, and your dogs may be zipping around high on sugar for a bit, but no lasting side effects unless they're really really tiny dogs. Source: dogs always got into my Easter lollies when I was little :(

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

errol _flynn posted:

Why do three out of four of my derpy little dogs like to sit on any/my lap and instantly begin licking their paws/mostly human legs? They don't stop till they're pulled off and set down someplace else. Dog number four does not do this as he is roughly 90 lbs and unable to sit on a lap without crushing it. Is it some weird in-house trend they are following?

Could be small cuts or other injuries or itchy bits on their feet, especially around/between the toes where the skin is softer. Whenever my mum's little brown dog goes out in the bush for a walk he licks his feet for a long time afterwards to get rid of grass seeds and patch up wherever he's stood on a stick or sharp rock. My Grandad's little white dog gets very licky after he's been wrestling with the cat (cats are sharp). It is danger time if you find a big fat paralysis tick though.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

drat Bananas posted:

This weekend I have started to walk my dog some decent distances for the first time in years, but I'm wondering if there's a such thing as pushing him too far, too fast.

6 year old beagle, healthy build, long legs, and loving loves walks and dog park trips/running with other dogs.

Friday evening we walked 2.37 miles
Saturday afternoon we walked 2.52 miles
Today (Sunday) I'd like to walk him to the dog park, let myself rest/let him play, and then walk back home. It is 2.32 miles each way, or 4.64 miles total.

I plan to take a water bottle and collapsible bowl, and it is about 70 degrees out and cloudy.

Is this too much, too fast? If we get to the park and he is tired, we will kind of be stranded with no way home other than to walk it.

If he's healthy, likes going for walks, is only 6 years old, and gets a rest and a drink halfway, he should be okay. My mum's little brown dog (Border Terrier) has only just in the last year or two started getting pooped out from long walks (5km or so) at 15 years of age and is usually ready to go again after half an hour to an hour of relaxing and a drink. He's small enough that he can be carried if he gets too tired out though, a beagle might be a bit harder in that respect. Most dogs, especially hunting and herding dogs, are good at walking long distances provided you don't make them go too fast for too long and let them have plenty of water, until they get old.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
"Stray" cats are often pets, yeah. Outside cats like going wandering, sometimes for days or weeks at a time. Some even get "adopted" by other families and quite happily live at multiple homes. They are cats, it is how they do. That's why it's so important to desex and chip outside cats... Or just keep them indoors, at least at night. She may well belong to someone who got something removed from her.

e: Also, anal gland cat might have a prolapsed rectum, might just need her anal glands expressed (good times for all). It's like headaches. It could be you haven't been drinking enough water, it could be brain cancer. It wouldn't hurt to take her in (so long as you're in a good place financially) and get her checked out.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Re spaying or neutering dogs I've always been told "as soon as the vet will do it" so usually at around six or eight weeks. With girls I think you're meant to do it before the first heat (Google agrees with me and says that's around six months). Five months should be fine. The sooner you do it the sooner she'll be over it.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
That'd probably be right if you're in a situation where you know your dog isn't likely to be out wandering and getting pregnant/getting other dogs pregnant. I am used to living on properties/farms and small country towns where dogs wander a lot, so if you're planning on fixing them, you'd better get it done quickly. I imagine it'd be better for the dog's health to let them grow a bit more first.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, polydactyly can end up with having one number of fingats/toes on one limb and another on another. It happens. Your cat is a perfectly normal mutant cat.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Spay that beagssie/Auggle before she gets knocked up by her dad. Spaying before their first heat is perfectly fine for small/medium girl doggos who are going to be around boy doggos and who you definitely don't want pregnant, and you definitely don't want her pregnant by her dad. While I'm sure she's a lovely doggo you don't need any babies out of her, certainly not inbred babies.

And yes ask a vet to confirm this, not someone who read a few articles about how awesome intact doggos are and how all girl doggos should have a litter of babies or they become malformed.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

OneTwentySix posted:

A lot of "herbivores" will actually eat meat if given the chance - squirrels and deer are surprisingly large predators of bird nests.

Yeah, "herbivore" basically means "an animal that mostly eats plants but will eat meat if it's easy enough". Rainbow lorikeets in Australia will happily steal barbecue meats and slices of ham from picnics, despite only eating nectar and other plant products in the wild, and horses loving love sausages and bacon and it's not unheard of for them to snap at and eat smaller animals that are annoying them (or just if they think it would be good for a laugh). Horses and cows will definitely eat the occasional chicks, ducklings, etc that are kept in the same place as them and will gleefully scavenge eggs from nests. The main thing keeping most herbivores from eating the occasional animal smaller than them is :effort: pure and simple.

e: I'm a vegetarian and I know that most "vegetarian" animals are happy to eat meat if it's slow enough

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 21, 2017

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
My Grandad is having to make the same discovery as his Maltese terrier/poodle recovers from a spinal operation. If you don't want your tiny mountain goat of a doggo hopping up onto chairs and sofas, you have to dismantle them, turn them around so doggo can't get up, or put barriers on them. It sucks having to remember it and the doggo in question will make sad faces at their favourite game being taken away but you must do it if you want your couch hairfree or your dog's delicate spine intact.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I thought it was a mouse because I have never seen a mole because I live in Australia, but then I looked up some moles and that is definitely a little mole snout. So the rest of it is probably a mole too. Congrats on your dead mole :toot:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Skellybones posted:

I found this qt and another at head-height in a garden in SE Queensland, is it deadly? Sorry for the poor quality, the wind was making the web shake and the camera couldn't focus properly on them.

That's a golden orb weaver (Nephila) of some description you dweeb. If you poke her repeatedly she will bite you and it will hurt because she has big teeths, but it shouldn't do any long term damage. She probably has a tiny boyfriend spider or three hidden somewhere, have a look and see if you can find him. Orb weavers are great fun for scaring international students as they are big and threatening looking (and enjoy making their nests on garden paths at just around eye height) but are very chill and mostly harmless.

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 20, 2017

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Checklist for golden orb weaver:
- big rear end spider, could stretch across your palm if she tried
- big pointy dark legges
- golden knees (a few have regular brown/black knees, but most have dark legs with golden/yellow knees) and often golden uhhh mouth-hands
- oval or round body, usually brown/black with white markings, but some can be red, white, gold, with dark patches
- big asterisk or X shape
- big-rear end messy web, thick strands frequently gold- or green-tinged in the sun, usually straddling a path, archway, or shrub around eye height
- looks spooky but is actually a perfect cinnamon bun

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Emotional support animals and other therapy animals are cool and good, but they're not legally protected in the same way as legit service animals and you are definitely in the right saying they can't come in. The few legal protections they do have are to do with rental accommodation. You definitely can't bring them into private businesses in New York. People can be assholes about them and a lot of people legit don't know the distinction between emotional support animals and service animals, though, so lots of businesses just cave and say "gently caress it the therapy cat can come in, just don't let it poo poo on my floor." Unfortunately this leads to people thinking they have a legal right to be there. You may well get sued but if what you've said here is correct you'll be legally in the right. Hope your boss was there to see the customer being an rear end so they don't think you were in the wrong and fire you.

Also why did the dog have a stroller

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 11:10 on May 30, 2017

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I've spoken with my psychiatrist about emotional support and service animals and he's shown me half a dozen different websites where I can print off certifications for my two lovely little lovebirds to be registered as emotional support animals and pointed out that legally it would be more useful for lining the bottom of their cage than anything.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Rats are delightful. The boys are smellier but super cuddly. They like to wee on everything, boys especially.

Also if you have a mouse problem, rats will lure in mice by squeaking in a friendly manner then kill/eat them through the cage bars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Put catnip on all the floors.