Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Bolkovr posted:

I'm looking for the name of a cat toy I saw in PI. Basically it's a glove you put on that has a ball at the end of each finger.
Kitten Mitten: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3261+1897+2875&pcatid=2875

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Pineapple posted:

You're underfeeding him. My betta can easily handled 5 or 6 bloodworms a day, if he still has a round tummy the next day I'll skip a day.
Yeah. You should also give him betta pellets as a staple, I don't believe bloodworms are nutritionally complete. Hikari Gold makes good stuff and you can buy it in the chain stores. One little betta package will last you forever.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

drat Bananas posted:

Edit: They've been eating the boring block food, do they need seeds too?
Seeds are junk food for rodents, a good block food is nutritionally complete. So use seeds as treats, not a staple.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

poser posted:

I changed my water in my beta tank last night and I come home from work and they are both dead. Any ideas on what might have caused this?
1) If you didn't dechlorinate, the chlorine/chloramines got them.
2) If you didn't double check the temperature of your water, the shock may have killed them.
3) If you changed a large quantity at once, the shock may have killed them.
4) Having two bettas in a tank (are the both male? :gonk: ) may have killed them.
5) Ambient temperature could have dropped enough to kill them.
6) Your tank parameters may have sucked anyways and killed them.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

poser posted:

What is the proper way to care for these type of fish? I did some research and some say they dont need much attention and others say the tanks need a lot of work. What type of tank settings and care do you recommend?
I say a minimum of 1 gallon per Betta, more is always better. Consistency is the most important thing in a fish tank, so even though you live in a warm area a heater is a good purchase to keep things consistent. You can get heaters for 5 gallons and up, though a lot of people say a heater for anything below 10 gallons is a potential death trap.

You can keep bettas in unfiltered water but it's not recommended. You want a filter that doesn't churn up the water too bad because of their sensitive fins, so don't over-filter the tank. (Many filters have variable intake, so turning it down to "low" is a good idea.) Also be sure there's a lot of surface area to the water (wide tanks, not tall ones) since a betta needs to supplement its gills with its labyrinth organ and get air from the surface. Getting a few plants is highly recommended - pet stores will sell little "betta bulbs" that are basically impossible to kill and will grow anywhere. Don't forget to cover the tank, bettas are jumpers.

Finally, invest in a set of test strips that include chlorine, ammonia and nitrates as a minimum. You can buy products such as "biospira" to cycle your tank without fish if you decide to start up again.

Franziska Von Karma posted:

Does anybody have any tips to try to get the cat more adjusted to people (i.e., me)?
Try to stay close to the food when you put it out, but ignore it (and him) until he gets used to you. Build up your presence gradually over time. Or you could borrow a cat trap from your local ASPCA or animal control if you want to just catch him and tame him yourself. :)

Cuddlebottom fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 10, 2007

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Polar Nexxus posted:

I have a question. I have two kitties who have been living together for maybe 5 weeks so far. They're both female, both spayed, and both around 2-ish. But I've been noticing that one of them will sniff the other's butt incessantly, and then leave her mouth half open for maybe 10 seconds after that. I remember seeing on the Discovery Channel that male lions will do that to see if female lions are in heat by using some gland on the top of their mouth, but two female house cats?
Animals are horny and dumb. Spayed female dogs will hump each other on occasion, our neutered males enjoy playing grab-rear end.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Maximusi posted:

Is a little bit of tuna safe for kittens?
Yeah, just remember it's a treat, not a staple.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Dru posted:

Oh gently caress yes. I'm just broke right now and theres no point in going to the vet when there is nothing wrong. When I go to the vet again it will be a much better vet who might still push SD, but won't pooh-pooh alfies allergies. I ask only to be able to answer my fiance and his worries about underfeeding. I don't think I am. But he wants to know what the signs WOULD be.
You could check the back of the bag of food - most (if not all) brands have some guide to how much food you should feed per lb. of cat. While only a rough guideline, it should at least prove you're not starving them to death.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
Our dogs are being dicks to our cat. They always seemed to enjoy annoying him, but now they've decided the greatest game ever is chasing him around the house. He's older and not as quick to get away, and he seems pretty pissed off by the whole thing. So it's time to stop it. They completely ignore me as soon as they get bolting, nothing short of grabbing them helps. One's deaf and the one that isn't might as well be. The hearing dog does know a light "leave it" but it doesn't help.

My plan was to get the dogs on a short leash and have some enforced "be nice to the cat time" every day. I was thinking distract them with treats, praise, anything as long as they're ignoring the cat. Seem reasonable? Anyone have any other suggestions or ideas?

Cuddlebottom fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 6, 2008

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Corridor posted:

Maybe a spray bottle of water? A shot of cold liquid to the face should stop them, unless of course they decide they like it. Mine did. :mad:
Hadn't thought of that - I should see if I can find a squirt gun...

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Mastiff posted:

Now those games bore her. Anybody have some fresh ideas?
You can buy a $5 laser pointer at the checkout counter of most pet stores. It drives most pets absolutely insane trying to kill it.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
I'm fish-sitting a ten gallon tank with (I believe) 5 mollies and a big fat mystery pleco. The girl who owns it told me to buy her an algae-eater to add to the tank. I asked her if she meant any one fish specifically, apparently she didn't. So my two questions: can this tank support some algae-consuming community fish and what could I get that would stay small? I've heard Otocinclus can be a decent fish for this purpose but have never heard of it before myself. Any thoughts? It's a heated, unplanted tank (around 82 F) with some generic Aquafin 10 gallon filter.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

KasioDiscoRock posted:

drat, I had heard goldfish were dirty, but I didn't know they were that dirty!
Yeah, they are that bad. :) 10 gal/goldfish is considered standard and most suggest double filtration. You'll definitely want to keep on top of water changes, and you may want to consider upgrading your tank.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
What options are there for measuring chemical levels (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph) in an aquarium? Specifically, anything that is reusable. I'm thinking of getting back in to having a small tank but I was wondering if there was something less expensive than buying those drat strips at a buck each. What about those stick-on indicators they sometimes sell in stores? I'm assuming they're total crap, or?...

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Pineapple posted:

Most people buy the little kits were you get a water sample and add x drops of y bottle and match it against a color card. I have some multi-test strips I use occasionally but mostly the little test tubes.
Aah, and I can see why, they look so much cheaper. Thanks!

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

lalawomans posted:

So I got my cat today, and it's so adorable! The thing is I want to make her as comfortable as can be, and I don't bother her when she goes under the bed. Should I ignore her and then wait until she comes out? I've been ignoring her, but she mews loudly when I leave the room. Should I be worried that she hasn't used the litter box for a day? :( She ate a little bit, drank a bit, and went under the bed.
I wouldn't worry too much, your new cat is a little freaked out about the move most likely. One day without using the litterbox isn't particularly concerning, but definitely keep on eye on her and make sure she's eating/drinking (which you said she was.) She'll come around. :)

You could look into grabbing a cheapo cat hideout for her. (We have this awesome plush cube with an entrance in it, our cat loves it.) Cats love hiding in things, so you might as well give her somewhere that's not under your bed.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

tiddlez posted:

I just wanted to know if he'll be okay and about what will happen when he needs the toilet.
:confused: Well, uh, he'll go to the bathroom. Wherever he can get to. Dogs will try to avoid peeing in their crate, but puppies obviously need to go more often and may not be able to hold it.

Plan on one hour of bladder power per month of age of the puppy. Pee pads are generally not worth it. Most dogs have a hard time grasping the concept that it's okay to pee here in the house but not there and even the smartest dog doesn't exactly aim. I also wouldn't expect a young puppy to "get it" in only a week or two, especially if you're not there to watch him.

The best method for housetraining is really all-or-nothing. The puppy is doing one of three things: being directly supervised by you, on a leash with you outside, or in its crate. When he goes outside, praise him until you feel stupid. If he goes inside, ignore him and clean up the mess. Don't fuss about it, don't react to it at all. If you catch him in the act of going inside, you can give a brief no and then take him outside, then praise.

Great that you're looking into crate training. As for leaving the door open...for a puppy, it's not safe to let them romp around the house unsupervised. Too many things they can get into. Doesn't matter how much you puppy proof the room - one of our dogs took up chewing on door corners as a hobby. Most dogs take a few days to a week or two to adjust to their crate and then will happily snooze in there when left with toys, a bed and water. He won't be scared by himself if you handle it properly and in short enough intervals.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

drat Bananas posted:

I've heard it called "the zoomies" and "the crazies." I would pay so much to find out what exactly is going through a cat's mind right then.
We've always called it a frap - frantic random activity period. Saw it in a puppy training book ages ago and it stuck.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

rds posted:

At what point should my puppy be able to recognize his own name? It's two syllables, so I'm sure it's short enough, but even after three weeks he doesn't seem to recognize it when I call to him. In the same vein, is calling taking him outside "bathroom" too long of a word?
Bathroom shouldn't be too hard for him to understand. Not to scare you or anything (since it takes time to pick up a name, and there's no real metric for how long it SHOULD take) but you might want to test his hearing if you're worried. Sneak up behind him, or talk to him while he's sleeping and see how he reacts. We were wondering why our puppy didn't respond to his name, until we finally realized he was deaf as a doorknob.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
Has anyone ever had a dog simply stop asking to go out? We're working on some marking issues with one of our dogs and I noticed he's just stopped scratching at the door. He'll go if we take him out front with a leash, but he won't go into the pen in the back yard. We're not sure what caused this either - he doesn't really like the grass when it gets tall, but it didn't used to stop him before.

Anything we can do that would help re-teach him how to "tell" us he has to go? And any thoughts on what would stop a dog from going outside in a pen?

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
Anyone know what happened to the hermit crab megathread (or have a link)?

Alternatively, I've got two hermit crab questions.
1) How are you supposed to keep humidity up in the tank? I know you wet your substrate, but after that, what do you use, sponges?
2) How do you pick an under-tank heater? Are they labeled by wattage, or by tank size? I'm going to convert an old 10 gal to a crabitat, but all the heaters I see online that are ostensibly for hermit crabs sound like they're meant for those little plastic "critter keepers." And are only 4W, which sounds way too small.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
Excellent, thanks for all the advice. Never would've thought of a humidor humdifier. This is going to be fun to shop for. :3:

One more question I couldn't find an answer to. Would it be safe to give a crab shells I got from the beach? Not as-is, of course: soaked in bleach (and dried so nothing gets chlorinated to death) and/or boiled. I assume most of the shells in craft stores came from the beach originally, but might as well be sure.

Cuddlebottom fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 24, 2008

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
Another hermit crab question. I now have two crabs in a well-furnished 10g aquarium (thanks PI!). But I'm not sure exactly how much to feed them. I know they're like fish, in that you should only feed what you think they'll eat, but I'm looking for a general guideline. They're both normal sized crabs, not jumbos. At the moment I have about a pinch of crab food, a few slivers of fresh pear, two chips of cuttlebone and a broken-up algae chip. Is this way off for a day's food, or about right?

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
It will be a lot louder and may involve hissing and arching their backs.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Lareine posted:

One of my cats caught a mouse and ate it. I'm kinda worried about parasites. What kind of nasties can a cat pick up from eating a mouse?
One other thing that hasn't been mentioned - it can be bad if the mouse got into rodent poison and then the cat ate it. (Which is why it's recommended not to keep rat poison around if you have a cat.) Personally, it's probably not worth being freaked out about it. If your cat found a mouse this once, he's probably done it before and it's almost never a big deal. You can keep an eye on his poo if you're concerned about parasites.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

drat Bananas posted:

Is there anything else I should do to make sure she doesn't get sick or go belly up? Skip feedings for a day or two? Just continue as normal?
The biggest risk of overfeeding is that the food will rot and convert to ammonia, which is what will kill your fish. You should test your water for ammonia over the next few days and make sure it doesn't spike. If it does, you can put in something like Amquel to neutralize the extra ammonia while the tank bacteria pick up.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

CagedLiberty posted:

That's a good idea, I'll look for one of these. I've heard of them before but never thought of keeping it outside the cage, that sounds better. Thanks!
I think they even sell some now that are low-enough wattage to go on a plastic cage. You can stick them on the side wall or below the tank.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

pixel8ed posted:

If I do spot a tick what should I do?
If you're not used to ticks, I would get a set of tick pullers since they make them easy to remove. There's a few different types you can find at pet stores, but they all do about the same thing. The idea is you slide it under the tick, close them and pull up. Then flush the tick down the toilet - they're hardy little bastards and a pain to squish, so it's a nice final way of killing them.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Xoobee posted:

Anyone know of a safe cleanser or any other ideas?
White vinegar is really safe. You can also use diluted bleach, as long as you're super careful to let it air out completely. Not sure how good those plastic cages are supposed to be, though.

dutchbstrd posted:

Or should I just go to the vet?
Ayup. Vet will give you the right meds and tell you what to expect. Worming is generally part of the first kitten/puppy checkups. I believe they have to do stool samples to figure out when they're gone (or what they are, for that matter).

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

KilGrey posted:

If anyone from PI knows I'm interested to hear if bad breeding can cause this issue.
I can't think of any way bad breeding could cause house-training problems, except in two cases: they introduce some sort of weird bladder disorder, or the puppies are raised in small kennels and mess where they sleep. I think the issue with little dogs like Cavs (our family has two) is it's really easy for them to sneak off and piss behind the couch without anyone noticing. It's a lot easier to miss a little puddle now and then, when with a big dog the issue would be more obvious.

Has she tried tethering? We have some marking issues with one of our dogs - keeping a very close eye on him helps, as does the belly band we bought. Consistency is really, really importing for house training.

quote:

Now I hear Cavs are really mellow in spite of their silly looks
This is true. They're definitely not the smartest of all dogs, but they're very people-oriented and overall very mellow. Ours will happily chill on a lap for half the day, as long as they get in a good walk or two. (And if you don't have food :supaburn: ) There are some breeders who focus on active/sporty Cavaliers, who are more like working spaniels, but I'm not sure how common that is.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

KilGrey posted:

Since it's Christmas time I was wondering those of you with cats handle a Christmas tree. I had cats growing up and always had a tree, at most the cats played with the garland for the first day it was up then ignored the tree. However, since getting cats a year ago as an adult my boyfriend has refused to get a Christmas tree. He's convinced they will see it as a huge living cat tree with shiny objects just for them and it will either be destroyed in 5 minutes or they'll disappear into it and we'll never be able to get them out. I know Holly, mistletoe and Poinsettias can be toxic to cats and not not let them drink the tree water but what about the Pine tree itself? What are ways you guys have kept your cats from destroying or setting up shop in your trees? Is it safer to lose the tree all together? :smith:
We have a very active, previously-feral cat and don't really have any problems with the tree. The first year, we blocked off the door to that room with a piece of plywood and he was only allowed in while monitored, but it ended up being unnecessary later on. We made a few adaptations - we stopped putting tinsel on the tree (as mentioned, it's dangerous if they eat it), and we are careful to put only non-breakable ornaments on the bottom branches, after he "killed" and brought us a glass ornament one year. The tree is in the corner so there's less room for it to get knocked completely over, but he's never even tried.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Arcanist posted:

Is this habit indicative of a problem? Or is my puppy just being a puppy?
Just sounds like a cute quirk to me. Our dogs will pick up toys just to bring outside sometimes. (Although they like to leave them there for a week or so. Ew.)

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Pointy_Stick posted:

Question: How does one teach a puppy to walk down stairs? I have a 4 month old Basset Hound and I have been carrying him down the 3 flights of stairs to go outside and he will hop up them but not down. It is the middle of winter here and there is usually snow on the stairs. He fell once and slid down a bunch of them so maybe he's scared. Carrying him when he weighs 40+ lbs is not going to be pleasant. Help?
You have to teach him one step at a time, pretty much. Do you have stairs indoors you can practice on? Put him on the bottom step and lure him down with some kind of really good treat, praise like crazy and treat when he makes the jump. You can slowly move him further and further up the staircase - after he gets the hang of a few steps, it'll probably click and he'll do the whole thing no problem. Just take it slow, don't put him further up until he's comfortable. If he's stubborn and just stands on the step, you can start by putting his front paws on the ground and his back legs on the first step, so it's natural to hop down.

It's pretty common for dogs to be scared to go down stairs, I remember reading it has something to do with the angle and their depth perception. You should definitely get some de-icer for the stairs, though. They make stuff that's supposed to be safe for dogs.

Cuddlebottom fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 12, 2008

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
Anyone have any tips for improving the temperature of a terrarium in a cold house? I have a 10 gal. hermit crab tank with an under tank heater. The house drops to about 60 and the tank goes to about 64, which is much colder than I'd like. Should I pack the tank in styrofoam or something? I considered putting a towel over it at night, but I don't want to totally screw up the humidity.

Cuddlebottom fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 31, 2008

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Smoogle posted:

Whats the cheapest place to buy an aquarium? I need a 50 gallon pretty soon.
Or if not Craigslist, look for sales at the large pet stores (Petsmart or Petco). Sometimes they do a $1/gallon sort of deal.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

Does anyone have advice for someone looking into the breed and for socializing new dogs with sometimes less-than-welcoming kitties? Due to my inexperience with smaller breeds (we've had a few big dogs in the past), should I look into a less energetic dog?
Probably the most important is to make sure the cat has plenty of places to escape to - we have several gated off rooms, so the entire upstairs and basement is dog-free (so the cat can hang out unbothered). There are a lot of different guides online to introducing dogs to cats, and I suggest you read a few, but it's going to boil down to doing it slowly and carefully. As for small dogs vs. big dogs, little dogs don't think they're little - some are intimidated by cats, some aren't, but they're just as likely to chase as a larger dog.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

MarshallX posted:

Also does anyone have any insight as to how a chocolate lab and Siberian husky would get along?
They're going to be very, very different dogs - labs are about as easy-going as dogs can get, while huskies are a very high maintenance, more independent sort of breed. Dog-to-dog introduction varies a lot by the individual dogs, but you should first be sure that your lifestyle could fit two very different breeds.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

HYDE.lana.HYDE posted:

My 11 week old puppy, Jekyll, pants in his sleep. Is this normal? I'm taking him to the vet this coming Tuesday so I'll know then if it's normal, but he's been doing this since I got him a week ago and for now I'm just looking for a quick answer to help me figure out if I'm nervous about it for no reason. Thanks!
Completely normal. :) Many dogs twitch, pant and sniff in their sleep - one of ours even growls and barks.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
I have a question about dog dandruff. I noticed today one of ours has it really bad after we gave him a bath (oh god it went everywhere :barf: ). He's on a high quality food (Wellness wet and Solid Gold dry). It's very dry here, but I don't think this is normal at all. Is there anything we can do? Is it something to be worried about (say, allergy wise)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

sucks to ur assmar posted:

When my dogs get flakey it's usually because I get lazy about the brushing. How often do you brush them?
Hm, probably not often enough - maybe weekly? (Family dogs and I'm not home all the time, so I'm not positive.) I'll definitely try being more consistent and see if that helps.