Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

One of my cats came down with what I assume was a feline cold, as she was sneezing and coughing for a few days but was still fairly active. I tried to keep them separated, but I live in a little one bedroom place and that had limited success.

Anyway, now my other cat has it, and he's acting a lot more miserable than she was. So, a couple little questions: should I wait this out or take him in? Also, is there anything I can do to help this along?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Okay, thank you. :) I gave him some treats and he ate some dry food afterward, so it looks like his appetite is going okay. I'll keep an eye on him and also try out the hot shower bit (I don't have a humidifier, so). Thanks for the suggestions!

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Rodent ulcers.

My cat, who has minor allergies, gets them seasonally. He's an indoor cat and I can't figure out what the hell causes them; I've tried switching his food and it doesn't seem to have an effect. He eats Innova EVO.

Basically my strategy now is to wash down his bowls really well after they crop up and just wait for them to go away, but I know they must make him miserable. His upper lips just get horribly swollen and puffy. Is there anything I could give him to make them go away faster?

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Should I worry that my cat is really lethargic and sleeping a lot after vaccinations? All he's done is sleep after I brought him back from the vet yesterday. I don't remember him being like this previously. He's usually super active.

He'll take treats, but hasn't been eating much.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

He's fine, he ate like a pig this morning and is back to himself. :)

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

"2508084" posted:

Can you crate cats like you crate a dog? Sully has been going NUTS the last week or so, but only at night. I have vinyl blinds in my bedroom and multiple times he'll jump in the window and wake me up. Or hes scratching at the carpet. If I lock him out of the room, he'll claw the door until I let him in. I don't mind the clawing noises, but I rent and don't need him destroying the door.

He's normal all day long, lovey-dovey, eats his food, drinks his water, pees/poos, so hes not sick. I would just like to get some loving sleep :negative:

The crating is only a half joke but I don't know what to do. I cant keep getting up 10-12 times per night.

Seconding the vacuum trick. Also, run the blinds up about 6-7 inches so he can't rattle them.

I also keep a water gun by my bed for when my cats get nutty. :p

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

"2508084" posted:

^ peeing/pooing/eating/behaving like normal then I wouldn't personally worry.

Horizontal blinds :saddowns: as far as the vacuum trick, do I lock them out at night and when he wakes me up, I kick it on next to the door? Im gone a majority of the day so I can't harass him all day. last night he did it again so I just opened the drat blinds.

He proceeded to sleep next to my head all night instead of incessantly wanting in the window. :argh:

Do you have a plug next to your bed? Set the vacuum outside the door, turn it on so it'll run when plugged in, and run the cord to the nearest plug. Shut the door. When he starts scratching, plug it in for a few seconds. :)

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Odor removal from carpet?

My pup's coming along alright with housetraining, but I have one frustrating issue: when I need to work on my desktop computer, I keep her tethered to me so she can't wander too far. However, I'm having a problem with her running to one spot behind the desk and peeing before I can stop her. Of course, being a puppy, this means this can happen anywhere from ten minutes to an hour after the last time I took her out, so it's sort of unpredictable. I've done the NO! and scooped her up and put her outside and treated her when she finished.

I've treated the spot liberally with Nature's Miracle and she still keeps going back to it. Argh! That spot is the only accident she has now, and I feel like if I could nip that in the bud we would be making good progress. I don't expect a lot out of her since she's only 10 weeks, I just want to deter her from that one spot. She's had on average 1 accident every 2-3 days and it's always right there.

I know the easy answer is 'don't let her in there', but there are times when I need to work pretty much all day and I need to keep an eye on her and I'd rather not keep her crated all day. Other times I can just have my laptop out in the living room if I need the computer, but the desktop has work and school stuff on it.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Kiri koli posted:

Is there a door near your desktop or a heavy table nearby? Try to find something nearby that you can tether her to that can't reach that spot. Or perhaps try one of those baby pens for puppies. It sounds like she's developing a habit and it isn't necessarily the smell that keeps her coming back.

Worse comes to worse, keep her tethered for yourself on a very short leash and then make sure to get up every 20 (? I'm not sure how long puppies can sit still) minutes or so and let her run around supervised or take her outside to tire her out. It's good to get up from work now and then anyway.

I bought her a ex-pen today (I'd been meaning to for awhile) and that's helping for now. She's enjoying not having to be tethered, too.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Anyone know of a place to order quality bully sticks cheaper than the $3+ each at the pet store?

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Yeah, I got 15mL of Clavamox (oral suspension) for my pup to use over 7 days to help clear up some bacterial yuck that was giving her the runs. I'm not sure what the actual mg of each dose was (she's tiny) and I've since lost the receipt, but as for cost - the entire visit with medication, fecal smears, and exam was $80, so it couldn't have been much.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

One of my cats has been throwing up yellow bile with some foam about once a week or so. I'm pretty sure I know which one it is, though I'm not certain since I didn't see it happen. :sigh:

Should I be concerned? Usually when they barf it's hairballs and/or semi-digested food. Both of them are acting and eating/drinking normally.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

RheaConfused posted:

I would be concerned by this, it's not the regular "ate too fast" food barf, bile is a bad sign. Are both of them eating normally? Either one look like there's been weight loss?

They're both eating normally. I haven't noticed any significant weight changes. I just weighed them both and they're at 7 and 12, which is normal for both of them (small spayed female cat, large neutered male cat).

And yeah, that's why I'm asking. It's been happening for about a month, which is about the time I brought the puppy home - could it be anything they could've got from her? Parasites?

I'm suspecting it's the female kitty, Cricket, since she spends most the time in the living room, where I've found it each time.

She's about 6 and he's about 7.

Kerafyrm fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 20, 2011

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

RheaConfused posted:

I'm not sure about cross contamination between dogs and cats, maybe a dog person could chime in? It could be from stress if it has just been happening since the dog showed up, but the general rule of thumb is that regular vomiting is not good. A lot of people will just say "eh cats do it" but bile isn't normal. I would perhaps at least put a call in to the vet, and again, keep a close eye to make sure both of them are eating. Are there any changes in their coats? Do you have a semi recent weight you can compare last night's weight to?

Thanks.

I've called the vet and he said to watch them closely, make sure they are eating and drinking plenty of water, and if continues to bring the one I suspect in. I bought some wet food today (I usually feed dry because one of my cats won't eat wet food period and the other is really picky about it, but I give it occasionally as a treat/little bit extra for her because she's always been a bit skinny) and the one I was worried about tucked into it with enthusiasm, so I'll keep an eye on them.

As far as their coats: no, their coats are fine. They are short hair cats but have really thick, soft coats (Innova EVO is awesome) and there hasn't been any change. The last recorded weights I have were: hers, 7.3, his was 11.7. I don't have a precise scale, though. Hers was November of last year, his was May of this year.

Kerafyrm fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 21, 2011

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

I know this is a debated topic, but when should I think about getting Nova (corgi pup) spayed? She's a hair over 4 months old now.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

How long should my pup be out of it after a spay? She was spayed this morning and I picked her up at 4, and she was still entirely conked out. Now it's nearly midnight and she still is too wobbly to walk. She did pee once and ate her dinner (a small amount of wet food, as per vet instruction) and she's drinking.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Kerfuffle posted:

Give her a day or so, most people find that their puppies become irritably active and stitches tearing becomes a concern, so enjoy it while it lasts. Surgery and anesthesia aren't easy to recover from for people either, even minor stuff. I speak from lots of dental surgery experience. :saddowns:

Ouch. :(

Thanks, though. I was just a bit concerned because the last time I got a pet fixed was 5 years ago, and it was when I brought one of my cats as a kitten home from the shelter, and she was up and going in just a few hours. Kittens. :downs:

She's already trying to lick at the stitches (unsuccessfully, since she has very little coordination), so I'll probably get an e-collar tomorrow unless she leaves them alone. Sigh, dog, don't make me have to make you suffer more indignities.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Get her an e-collar anyway. If it keeps her from licking, it's far, far better she suffer the indignities for about a week and a half than you waking up to a gory cataclysm one morning. :ohdear: after Gabe pulled his glue off and I got to watch my cat walking around with a gaping incision while I rushed off to the vet with him, I'll never say no to an e-collar again after a spay/neuter.

:gonk: E-collar it is, then.

She made a mess of her crate last night, alas. First time she's had an accident there. I don't really blame her, of course, poor thing was so out of it. She peed on her favorite toy though. And her bed. So, she gets towels while I do laundry at 7 am, heh.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

A couple of unrelated questions.

1) How soon after a spay would giving a dog a bath be okay? She stinks to high heaven and sort of desperately needs one, but I don't want to before it'd be safe.

2) My cat has taken to squalling at the early hours of the morning - those deep, loud meows that are the territorial sort? He stops when I call to him, but he's been waking me up at around 4-5 every morning and it takes me awhile to go back to sleep. Any ideas on how to discourage this and why it'd be happening? He's 6-7 years old, neutered male, indoors all his life.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Creep posted:

My vet is retarded (for numerous reasons not having to do with the cat). I have learned not to trust him and am currently looking for another vet. All he says is to keep trying different litter otherwise he has no idea what's wrong.

Box is scooped twice a week, changed out and cleaned entirely every 3 weeks. I just have one box for her and she's the only cat. Should I get another box?

Clean it every day. Maybe twice a day. Some cats won't use it if it's not immaculate.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

CherryCola posted:

I'm sure someone has probably brought up this question, but this thread is ungodly huge. SO! I've decided I want to bring my dog out to Virginia from Minnesota (where she's been living with my mom) after Christmas. Now, however, I'm trying to figure out what to do about bringing her on a plane. She's a yorkie-poo and only weighs about 8 lbs. However, I'm worried she's not going to fit in the 8" or shorter approved pet carrier because even though she's super little, she's kind of long. I'm also worried about her getting freaked out.

Has anyone else flown with a dog? Specifically Airtran? I'm thinking about getting her some sedatives so she'll just sleep through the whole thing, but I heard some airlines will not allow sedatives. Also, if I put her in the approved carrier size, she probably won't be able to stand up and turn around all that (because of her longness and all) but I know she'll live since it's a short flight. I just want to get some insight so I don't plan this out and then find out the airline won't let her on.

Thanks!!

edit: http://petairways.com has anyone used these guys? They look like they've gotten good reviews. They're expensive but may be the best way for little Bindi to fly without other people hating her for barking.

Call the airline directly and ask, and clarify lots to make sure you're getting the right info. If I was going to fly with my dog/cats, I'd definitely find an airline that allows sedatives. Also, if you do go with sedatives, the lack of being able to turn around won't bother her so much - she'll be asleep for the trip.

I'm not sure about the other stuff - I've never flown with pets, I've always just driven to avoid the hassle.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

BLUNDERCATS! noooo posted:

There's a stray cat outside my house (he's been neutered) and he's really affectionate. I don't feed him but I hang out and pet him sometimes.

Anyway this cat rulllles, and I want him to be healthy. It looks like he might have a gum disease? Are there over-the-counter meds I can give him that might be okay? I am thinking of taking him a low-cost vet but I'm a student with 2 cats already taking up all my cash.

Thanks yall.

That's a rodent ulcer. It's usually caused by allergies. They usually go away on their own in a week or two but my vet has given my cat antihistamines for really bad ones before.

Also, I need advice.

My pup is 5 1/2 months old and as of few weeks ago she was reliably housetrained. All of a sudden about a week or so ago she's developed a habit, seemingly randomly, of pooping all over. She'll even do it right behind my chair, she's done it in her ex-pen, and even when I take her outside and she goes she'll go again 30 minutes after I bring her inside. She was coming to me reliably and getting me to take her out, but she's stopped doing that entirely now.

She hasn't peed in the house in months.

I've tried starting over on her housetraining (crating her and taking her out every 30 minutes until she goes, tethering her when she's not crated, keeping her in an ex-pen) and she's still having about 1 accident a day. She's on a feeding schedule and only gets small treats between feeding times.

What do I need to do here? It's frustrating and I feel like I'm failing at training her, here. :(

Kerafyrm fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 10, 2011

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

It's usually in her ex-pen, yeah, or I've had her tethered a few times while I'm working and she's gone back behind my chair and done it. Today's accident was when I forgot her lead when we were going out, so I left her out when I went to get it and in those thirty seconds she did it near the door.

And no, her poop's normal.

And, okay. I'll crack down on her a bit more. Sorry pup. :(

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

So, after months of Nova being awesome, I came home today to find a small portion of the wall chewed, the paint torn off, and a 3" square piece of carpet destroyed.

When I'm gone during the days I have class (3 days a week, generally 4-5 hours) she's kept locked in a room with water, a bunch of her favorite toys, and generally a stuffed kong. This has worked for about the past month with no problems, no accidents, no destructiveness. Today I came home to that.

How can I deter this? I can crate her, but then I feel a bit bad because either she's locked up all night, taken out, and then locked up again for 5 hours, or locked up for 5 hours, taken out, and then locked up all night, depending on the day. She was fine. Is this separation anxiety or just boredom or just puppy destructiveness?

She's nearly 7 months old, so I was prepared for the difficult stage to be hitting soon, at least. :(

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

It was at the door, but it was only blocked with a baby gate she could have very, very easily knocked over if she was frantic, so I don't know.

I kept her in her ex-pen today while I was gone and she did fine, so maybe it's just boredom. I repaired the damaged area and am gonna buy bitter apple tomorrow.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Tips for managing pet allergies?

Not me, but my boyfriend is mildly allergic to cats. He loves the cats (he's frequently said he'd have one if he wasn't allergic), they get along fabulously, but he just gets congested after an hour or two, worse if they're wanting to get in his lap. It's not a point of stress or anything, but it'd be awesome to be able to have him stay the night without getting all snuffly all the time. He takes a 24 hour antihistamine beforehand, but it's very hit or miss and works on and off.

So. What's there for me to do to help this out? Right now I'm basically washing the sheets and stuff frequently and cleaning/dusting furniture and floors (I don't have carpet) frequently, but it's hard to tell if that's helping or just stirring more dander into the air.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

So, vet suspects Nova has IBD, since she's had some issues periodically. She was put on antibiotics and medication for the next 7 days.

Now, once I left I kicked myself because I forgot to ask the vet some questions, so I figured I'd bring it here:

a) I know IBD in humans is a lifetime thing. Will this be a reoccurring problem?
b) What causes it and is there anything I can do to help? She's on Taste of the Wild so she's eating good food.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Edit: Actually, nevermind, putting this in the nutrition thread.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Any advice for softer toys for toy-destroyers? I have hell finding toys my dog won't rip to shreds. I have kongs, but she doesn't pay them much attention unless they're stuffed. She likes softer toys and ropes, but she shreds them.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Hah, that's actually a great idea and I don't know why I didn't think of it before. Thanks.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Sanford posted:

Can anyone suggest a good dog toy that squeaks and is fairly invulnerable? We live in the countryside so every few weekends we bring my girlfriend's mum's dog from the city to stay with us. I always get him a toy but I've not found a squeaky one that stays squeaky for more than five minutes. He's a border collie so it can't be anything too small in case he swallows it (I guess?).

I have one of these for my toy-destroyer. I've had it for about 4 months now or so and it doesn't even so much as have a hole in it. She loves it and will squeak on it every day for hours if I let her.

Comes in a few different sizes. She's destroyed every squeaky toy I've ever given her but this one.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Communista posted:

Hello everyone, this is Mitters. She is 14 years old. In the past few days, she has developed some kind of ulcer on her lip. Sometimes it looks worse than others but today, it's really red and swollen. She hasn't stopped eating or drinking, but seems to be eating somewhat less than she did before. She's still pooping and peeing, and there's nothing off about those particular things. Here are a few pictures:

She of course gets super pissed off when you try and touch her face, but that's no shock. She's not bleeding and I haven't seen any pus. Any ideas?

These are most likely rodent ulcers. One of my cats gets them sometimes and they look pretty much just like that. His are caused by allergies or if I don't wash their food bowls often enough, but i understand that they can be caused by a variety of things, sort of like canker sores or cold sores in humans.

It'll go away on its own, but my vet gives my cat antihistamines if his are really bad (sometimes his entire upper lip gets poofy).

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

I had someone comment today that my dog looked fat. I'm a terrible judge of animal weights, particularly with short-legged breeds, and it started concerning me a bit so I thought I'd get opinions.

Top-down:

Side:

She was very confused about what the hell I was doing.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Thanks for the info! As for photos lying, I feel pretty comfortable in saying that they're pretty accurate in at least visually showing what she looks like.

Based on that guide, yeah, I'd probably call her 'heavy'. I'll probably up her daily walks and see if that makes a difference first, and then evaluate feeding from there. It's been so hot here lately that doing anything but late night or early morning walks was out of the question, but it's starting to finally cool down. It'll be good for both of us, anyway, I need the exercise too.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

So now that I'm in a large enough apartment I'm finally getting a decent cat tree. I had a cheap one years ago but it fell apart and I've never bought another one. Upon looking, though, there's ten billion brands and I don't know what's crap and what's not.

I'd rather order online, Amazon if possible since I get free shipping. Any recommendations? I'd prefer a taller one so the cats have something to climb up to get well away from the dog. I have two cats, one mid-large sized (12 lbs) and one small (7-8 lbs). Prefer some non-cardboard scratching surfaces, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

My dog (4 years, corgi) has over the past few months started being really reluctant on her morning walks. Nothing has happened to scare her, her environment hasn't changed, and she recently (last month) got a clean bill of health from a vet during her annual shots/checkup.

Usually in the morning she would wait by the door to go out or come readily when called. Over the past few months she goes and lays under the desk in the office and I have to go get her and she will often roll over on her back on the way to the door and I have to urge her to get up. Once outside, she doesn't seem to want to go on a walk, she kind of hangs back and does her business and then immediately wants to go inside.

In contrast, during her evening walks she's excited to go out, walks normally, runs and plays normally, and generally seems 'normal'.

Any ideas on what could be going on and how to get her enthused about morning walks again?

On a health front, she's eating normally, poops normally, drinks plenty of water, is energetic inside and plays and has had no behavior changes. She hasn't had any accidents inside. It's almost like she's nervous to go outside, but only in the mornings.