Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

I recommend this product highly! The three feral kittens I used it with grew up to have excellent claw control. PetCo and/or PetSmart carry them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

My cats were very confused by this, having been trained not to attack hands.

Now that you mention it, Shosta my adult cat didn't go for it either. My kittens all loved it though.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

Women's Rights? posted:

Also be careful about just leaving food out like that. We used to do that for a stray in our neighborhood when I was a kid, but it attracted raccoons who very much enjoyed the food. They got into a fight with our real cats and poor Tommy had his cheek torn to poo poo by them. Raccoons like cat food and they don't like competition.

Here's why I stopped leaving food out overnight:

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

flynt posted:

I just got a Feliway room plug in to help introduce my cats to each other. Is it normal for it to make a chemically odor? I thought it was supposed to be unnoticeable by people but the smell is starting to give me a headache. Is it supposed to make my apartment smell weird?

The Feliway diffuser I used was noticeable in a confined room. It smelled a bit musky.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

c0ldfuse posted:

What is the best way (or how do you) control cat hair?

The FURminator grooming brush is said to be great for cutting down on shedding, though I just bought one and can't vouch for it yet. One of the cat rescues I work with swears by it.

My massive Honeywell 50250 Air Purifier which I bought to catch dander also traps a considerable quantity of cat hair. It has a permanent HEPA filter so the only maintenance is to vacuum the filter occasionally and replace the carbon wrapper every three months or as needed.

Regularly vacuum anything in your house that has carpet or fabric. Somewhere around here there's a vacuum recommendation thread.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

c0ldfuse posted:

The air purifier is something I was thinking of as a decent catch-all solution (not a bad idea overall in old houses anyway ala mold). How much improvement did you see in the surrounding area?

It cuts down on musty/stuffy air right away. I lost one to a burglar this Christmas and only noticed it was missing because my living room air didn't smell right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

VikingKitten posted:

I guess I could figure out a way to run the cord into a desk drawer, but in the alternative is there something I could put on it? Do cats hate green apple spray or hot pepper spray?

You're doing well if you've narrowed the problem down to one cord. Bitter Apple gets recommended a lot for this purpose. Even if it doesn't work, your kitten should grow out of the chewing stage in a few months. With my two kittens, fixing the cords so they didn't dangle or move was enough to dissuade them from gnawing.