Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jayded
May 4, 2006
I'm afraid of everything!
My 10-12 week old kitten (found him so we're not sure how old he is exactly) has recently started this really strange thing where he attacks his own tail. I don't mean in a cute playful way, but he nips and bites at it and makes kitten screams that really alarm me.

I know that he currently has fleas, as does my older cat, but there's not much I can do about it until their appointment with our vet next Monday. It's the earliest appointment I can do because of the vet's schedule clashing with my on call schedule so my hands are really tied.

Could the tail maiming be caused by flea itches? Is he just being overly zealous in his play perhaps, or do I need to invest in some Feliway until Monday? I've noticed him do this perhaps two to three other times, though he wasn't as pissed sounding when he was biting himself, today though I was so worried I just scooped him up and gave him a bath followed by tons of cuddles. Three hours later though and he just did it again.

My main concern is that psychological issue that some cats have where they maul themselves and have to be put down or have things amputated. If it's fleas, I can pick up some flea treatment to last us 'til Monday and try to soothe him, if it's something more then I don't know what the gently caress. :(

When he does this, he generally bites at his tail, then runs a bit as if he's trying to get away from it, all while making an extremely annoyed wailing, screaming noise. If left to his own devices, he'll keep at it, though I'm not sure how long for. I just know that after the first wail, I have to go distract him. The other day though my older cat took care of him after he made the noise while I was in the shower. I got out and they were all snuggled up. :3:

What could this possibly be and I'm sorry for the long post and oh god I'm such a bad cat-mom my kitties have fleas and are emo. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jayded
May 4, 2006
Thanks for the self mutilation/emo kitten advice earlier. I have another question about the same little guy. By the vet's estimation, he's approximately 12 weeks old. His nose has always been a little runny/crusty, but lately it's started to peel, it looks painful and is usually pretty dry looking. He's active and otherwise seems healthy, but just in case I've got an appointment with the vet. In the meantime is there anything I can put on it to sort of nudge it in the direction of healing or at least to soothe his poor itty little nose? Neosporin, bacatracin, anything?

Jayded
May 4, 2006

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

I'd recommend just some plain vaseline, if you can. It will help hold in moisture and soothe the nose a little, but without anything that you don't want him licking. Pure aloe would also be good. Whatever goes on there, though, he's going to lick off, so make sure it's something safe. The antibiotic ointments are probably safe, but I've heard of animals having sensitivities to some of the antibiotics, so it's probably best to go with something safe, hydrating (aloe) and and soothing (vaseline). You or your cat could safely eat pure aloe or vaseline without much more than getting the runs.

Thank you. :) That makes perfect sense, I was just harboring some hope that I'd be told neosporin is great for cats even when they eat it. :( Looks like I'm going to 7-11 for Vaseline. That won't raise any eyebrows I'm sure.

Jayded
May 4, 2006

shabutie posted:

My cat Reggie's fur has always been weird above his eyes, up to his ears. At certain angles it looks like a weird bald patch but from others it's normal. It's not something I worry about but people tend to comment on it so I wondered if it's common or if it's characteristic of a certain breed? He is just a random shelter kitty really, I've put a picture to show what I mean.

The stray kitten I found has the same thing, he's black with white skin too so maybe that's why it's so noticeable? My older kitty, who's a siamese had it when she was younger but as she's grown the hair filled in a lot. Still though it's a different texture than the rest of her fur and she loves to have that spot stroked. :3: Maybe it's a kitten thing or perhaps from less than ideal diets? Ming (the siamese) has been on better food for the past year and a half and her fur has been all around softer and shinier even in in the past few weeks since she's been on Solid Gold.