Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beckyogg
Jul 12, 2006

My lungs don't work. Now it's time to sing!
How long do most flea drops take to work, anyway? As in, when should my pet stop scratching himself incessantly?

Also, are Cheetos directly harmful to cats in small amounts? My cat insists on trying to steal from me whenever I have some Cheetos, and, as much as I try to stop him, sometimes the sneaky bastard is successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beckyogg
Jul 12, 2006

My mom stopped at Petsmart to pick up flea drops, and all I really told her was "no Hartz, that can be deadly". She ended up picking up some "natural defense" stuff, which I'm a bit dubious of. I may simply stop by the vet for some Frontline if the fleas continue to be a problem, but my cat calmed down within a couple hours of applying the "natural" stuff. He does smell strongly of peppermint oil now, though.

beckyogg
Jul 12, 2006

MockTurtle posted:

Thanks, the reason I was asking is becuase I was watching some show about animal rescue, and they got a whole ton of cats from some collector and there was a pregnant one in the bunch. Instead of giving her a spay they had her have the kittens. I just was kind of confused because it seems like with a zillion cats that already need places to go, having more cats would be something that especially a rescue organization would try to avoid at all costs...

Pineapple is right. Another reason they might have decided to go through with it despite the large number of cats is the high adoptability of kittens. Cats can stay for months in shelters, but kittens usually only stay a few weeks or less once they become old enough to adopt out.

beckyogg
Jul 12, 2006

So my cat is showing signs of having urine crystals (again, ugh) and I need to get a urine sample so the vet can run an analysis before he prescribes the crystal-busting food. Last time I just brought the cat in and they squeezed it out of him, but that's more expensive and pretty stressful for my cat. Is there an easy way to collect urine that doesn't require me to follow my cat around with a plastic cup? Or maybe a way to motivate him to pee so I can just get the drat sample already?

beckyogg
Jul 12, 2006

TVs Ian posted:

We kept our cat in the bathroom overnight with a bowl of water and a litter box filled with clean gravel. The next day, he had used the box and we just funneled the pee out from the rocks. May not be an option for you but maybe you can tweak that to something similar that will work. Good luck!

I was thinking I could lock him in the bathroom overnight and put a soft rag down for him, then squeeze out the rag, but I was worried it might make the analysis show weird results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beckyogg
Jul 12, 2006

Trying to get a sample in a clean, disposable cup was actually what the vet tech recommended on the phone, so I dunno. My cat is definitely still peeing, it's just that he's sneaking off and doing it while I sleep or when I'm distracted so I don't have a chance to try to collect it.

I didn't really think the vet was squeezing the urine out of the cat, I'm aware that cats don't work that way. It was intended as a joke.