Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I don't quite sew, I'm working with latex sheeting, which is an interesting little journey. But this is the closest I can find, until I make my own latex thread.

I want to attach some hook and eye closures to latex with rivets, the same way that they're attached to the cotton tape here. Does anyone know how I can go about doing this myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got a 24x18 long cutting mat, but I want to cut some 1 inch strips that are the full width of my material (in this case 1 meter, or about 39 inches). I don't want to buy a "normal" mat that's that going to be huge in both dimensions, because I don't have room for that and also it would be super expensive. Any idea what I can use to cheaply cut a long strip like that?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Funhilde posted:

Just fold the fabric in half? I assume you are using a rotary cutter? I have cut several layers at once this way.

That's a, uh, pretty good idea. Not sure why it didn't occur to me.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
In a fit of... something, I sewed myself a vest for a Con, in one night. I started from nothing, as in step 1 was taking the sewing machine my wife got for our wedding out of the box and getting it going, since she'd never used it before. I had a pattern and some fabric I panic bought previously, and I modified the pattern slightly. It was just 4 straight seems (each shoulder and each side) and I didn't do any edging or anything like that (though I did sew some Velcro on as a closure).

But anyway, I did it, and I didn't sew myself to the machine or anything, so I call it a success.

So I'm thinking I want to continue this whole sewing thing, but I don't really have a specific goal in mind, other than probably some kind of costuming stuff. I'm the analytical and prescriptive type, so I'm hoping there's some kind of beginners book or tutorial that can take me through a progression of skill, starting at nothing and having me do projects that gradually increase in skill level. I don't really care much what I'm creating (as long as its clothes of some kind) I just want to create something so when I finally get some crazy idea I'll at least have some idea how to implement it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
What's a good place online to get good zippers? I'll probably be needing a black invisible zipper longer than the 22" I can get at joanns. Also I find their zipper selection lacking and kind of expensive, so wondering where people get their zippers.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So more zipper questions. I'm a dude who does not wear dresses who is making a dress for myself:

FISHMANPET posted:

With very little sewing experience, I am trying... a thing

It's back zipping, but I don't know how long a back zip needs to go. I had my wife measure my back and it looks like it would end at about waist level, is that long enough or do I need a longer zipper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

learnincurve posted:

Oh yes you can buy many feet, I’ve bought three of these, one for spare one as a gift.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KING-DO-WAY-Domestic-Machine/dp/B071NNDDXJ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1540158213&sr=8-4&keywords=Sewing+foot+set

https://www.amazon.com/Professional...sewing+foot+set

A few of them will change the way you sew, the 1/4 foot especially, you can’t see it in that picture very well but another helpful thing is to stick in a long bit of tape and draw your seam margin all along it, so you can guide your material along it a lot easier.

I got this one because I needed an invisible zipper foot and I could either get the one foot for $10 or this whole set for $25 and I went with the whole set (and returned the $15 zipper foot I bought from Joanns)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071H53MFN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1